Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Heads up, Ravenous on Netflix streaming is not in the og 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My friend was in independence day (2016) and I still haven't watched it lol.

why are people abbreviating it ID4?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

A MIRACLE posted:

My friend was in independence day (2016) and I still haven't watched it lol.

why are people abbreviating it ID4?

The first movie was marketed as "ID4" on posters and such. It's a dumb abbreviation that stuck.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Independence Day 3 was better.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sarchasm posted:

The first movie was marketed as "ID4" on posters and such. It's a dumb abbreviation that stuck.

That was because they were having a hard time trademarking "Independence Day" as a title, and weren't sure they would actually get to use it.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

These look good, otherwise it's a boring month for me

Netflix:
Magic Mike
Milk

Amazon:
Into the Wild
The Americans season 4
10 Cloverfield Lane

Hulu has a murderer's row of new media, but I don't have an account unfortunately

waldo pepper
Mar 18, 2005

Rough Lobster posted:

I really dig Maika Monroe in both movies, and I'll confess that I really liked her in ID4: Resurgence.

Her "what the gently caress?" at the end of The Guest is one of my favorite movie endings ever

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I love how Netflix constantly pulls the McRib strategy

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Oops, didn't realize the link didn't include what was leaving these services in February. I guess Polygon thought both lists together were too long for one article. Here's what's leaving Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Now in February.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Good thing Netflix has Oceans 12 but not 11 or 13. Wouldn't want a complete set or anything.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

drunken officeparty posted:

Good thing Netflix has Oceans 12 but not 11 or 13. Wouldn't want a complete set or anything.

Kind of pissed they NEVER had Oceans 10 wtf.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Same with 22 jump street but no 21 jump street

Kinda ruined my plan to watch all of Jonah Hills films

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ramagamma posted:

Same with 22 jump street but no 21 jump street

Kinda ruined my plan to watch all of Jonah Hills films

21 Jump Street was way better than I was expecting.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Die Sexmonster! posted:

21 Jump Street was way better than I was expecting.

If you haven't already, add Lord and Miller to your list of directors to keep tabs on. They have a pretty solid resume so far. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs shouldn't have been any good either but it was thoroughly entertaining.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

fishtobaskets posted:

If you haven't already, add Lord and Miller to your list of directors to keep tabs on. They have a pretty solid resume so far. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs shouldn't have been any good either but it was thoroughly entertaining.

Also track down Clone High

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I half expected to turn off 21 Jump Street 15 minutes in and was shocked by how much I liked it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
21 jump street worked because in the first 5 minutes or so they look at the audience and go guys look. We know that we are a remake of an old show that most of our intended audience has never heard of. We get it. Please just stick with us. Then it proceeds to just be fun and funny.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

21 was great, I can't even remember anything from 22 though. It was a comedy to put on in the background.

E: I'd also like to use this post to complain about Netflixs awful interface. It shoves the same 10 movies down my throat for months at a time no matter what category. New Releases? gently caress it here's a Discovery Channel show from 2001 that's also in Recommended for You and Popular on Netflix. And just recently I've noticed I can't even search for an actor/director name and only get what they have done. It gives you stuff that they had nothing to do with. Like search Ben Affleck and you get Matt Damon movies that he wasn't in at all. It used to not do that.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 27, 2017

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

21 was great, I can't even remember anything from 22 though. It was a comedy to put on in the background.

E: I'd also like to use this post to complain about Netflixs awful interface. It shoves the same 10 movies down my throat for months at a time no matter what category. New Releases? gently caress it here's a Discovery Channel show from 2001 that's also in Recommended for You and Popular on Netflix. And just recently I've noticed I can't even search for an actor/director name and only get what they have done. It gives you stuff that they had nothing to do with. Like search Ben Affleck and you get Matt Damon movies that he wasn't in at all. It used to not do that.

The new bullshit of playing clips over music as you are browsing is really loving annoying.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Netflix needs to stop lying through obscurity and also they need to turn their API back on

plz hire me

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

The_Rob posted:

The new bullshit of playing clips over music as you are browsing is really loving annoying.

Spot on. In my search to figure out if I could turn it off (you can't, at least on Roku), I read a few canned promotional articles for the new "feature". It's supposed to help you figure out what you want to watch. The only thing it makes me want to watch is AmazonPrime.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I find that the clips actually make me way more likely to settle on something and actually watch it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The little sample video clips are great, because it allows me to evaluate pretty quickly what kind of movie I'd be watching. There's already been 2 or 3 movies that I finally watched after months on my watchlist, because they maybe had a boring or lovely poster that made me less inclined to pull the trigger.

The music I could do without.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I guess this may be more of a TV thread kind of thing, but it looks like Hulu is changing things up soon.

https://www.experiencehulu.com/

Looks like they are adding live tv in some fashion. I didn't mind paying for the upcharge for no ads. Not sure if I'm ready for yet another upcharge, though. Good thing I don't really have any use for live TV.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cable is definitely going to die within the next ten years.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

maybe it's a troll move throwing out the movie in the trilogy that is entirely skippable and seems like its in a different universe than the other two

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

22's "YOU HAD SEX WITH THE CAPTAIN'S DAUGHTER!" scene is still the hardest I have ever laughed in a movie theatre. It's a simple joke but Tatum's insane glee makes it something special.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The credit sequence for it is great too. They just go all out and the cameos are great.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Cable is definitely going to die within the next ten years.

Not if Net Neutrality gets killed.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

22's "YOU HAD SEX WITH THE CAPTAIN'S DAUGHTER!" scene is still the hardest I have ever laughed in a movie theatre. It's a simple joke but Tatum's insane glee makes it something special.
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the universe who not only failed to die laughing at that but in fact didn't find it funny at all. I am afraid I may be broken, or a robot, or a broken robot. It just seems like all the humor is supposed to be coming from a lovely regressive view of sexual politics that I can't get into? I dunno.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't think it's particularly regressive to point out that loving your boss' daughter while on an undercover police sting could get a bit awkward.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Also she's a freshman or sophomore I think and he's like 30 and fucks her while they're drunk so it's not just like, "oh nooo my daughter had sex?!?"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Plus Ice Cube already hates Jonah Hill's character to begin with.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DeimosRising posted:

Also she's a freshman or sophomore I think and he's like 30 and fucks her while they're drunk so it's not just like, "oh nooo my daughter had sex?!?"
Oh, it definitely still is. I was in a conversation yesterday and one later middle-aged guy, kind of out of nowhere just started going off on how he lured and then kicked the crap out of his 20-something year-old daughter's boyfriend by posing as her using her phone. He didn't really have much reason except to say that the guy "was not good enough for her," whatever that may mean to a 60 year-old building contractor.. I'm sure he meant that the guy didn't have a good enough career, or that he wasn't a strong enough feminist :rolleye:

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Cross-posting from the spooky things thread: Amazon Prime has original Robert Stack Unsolved Mystery episodes.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Cross-posting from the spooky things thread: Amazon Prime has original Robert Stack Unsolved Mystery episodes.

Oh man. My folks were in a Wednesday-Friday bowling league, and I can remember just watching those in the dark waiting for the stupid murder-mysteries to go away so I could get some pre-Xfiles monster/ghost of the week action. Thanks for the heads-up.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Watching some now. It's weird how they get people to recreate the events when they can. "Hey, do you want to recreate the worst moment in your life for television?"

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I don't know if it's been on Amazon for a while or it just arrived, but The Mist is up. It has its moments.

Thomas Jane just wants his kids back

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What are some of the best 6-12 episode British murder mystery/crime dramas on Netflix? I really liked Top of the Lake and The Fall, and there are about a dozen similar-looking shows like Broadchurch, Hinterland and Happy Valley. Do any of them stand out from the rest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Lester Shy posted:

What are some of the best 6-12 episode British murder mystery/crime dramas on Netflix? I really liked Top of the Lake and The Fall, and there are about a dozen similar-looking shows like Broadchurch, Hinterland and Happy Valley. Do any of them stand out from the rest?
Broadchurch season 1 is good. Season 2 was contrived enough that I don't care if there's a season 3. I think I heard something similar about Happy Valley but I haven't watched that one.