Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I wanna hear Ivakna defend the pussy grabbing.

She'd speak for a few seconds before being overcome by something akin to a 'Nam flashback, and then be led weeping from the stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Minimalist Program posted:

Scott Adams seems like a super lonely dude who is in a lot of emotional pain

He's a loser that wants his tombstone to have something other than "The Dilbert guy" on it.

and he's achieving that goal.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

comingafteryouall posted:

Reminder that this happened in the primary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHcD5-TGHvY

Did Trump grab him afterwards?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

mdemone posted:

White women vote Hillary 55% with 65% turnout, Hispanics vote 80% Dem with 50% turnout, and Texas flips.

Are these turnout rates reasonable?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

St. Dogbert posted:

She'd speak for a few seconds before being overcome by something akin to a 'Nam flashback, and then be led weeping from the stage.

:chloe:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

DaveWoo posted:

Here's a question for y'all - let's say you're Hillary Clinton's debate coach. How would you advise her to handle Trump in the next debate? How would you advise her to respond if Trump starts throwing out the accusations against her and her husband that he mentioned in last night's "apology" video?

I think that Hillary totally knows how to handle Trump at debates.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Jygallax posted:

Sean Hannity appears to be comparing trump favorably to King David and his 500 concubines now on his show

That show is either taped or he's repeating a talking point - he did so last night as well. It's why I said in a previous post that I guess a few folks in the American right-wing really are comfortable with simply reverting to Bronze-age social mores.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

It's not even a small faction, that's the entire thing. I keep beating this drum but Trump actually won by a huge margin, given how crowded the field was, especially during the early races. Only Cruz came within striking distance - everyone else was crushed and possibly had their political careers derailed by him (hi Marco). Trump's "base" is at least half of the Republican primary voting bloc - perhaps more, depending on how many Cruz supporters ended up being okay with Trump.

The GOP doesn't have a small factional problem, it has an enormous one. Nobody cares about "conservatism" anymore, assuming it even means anything. GOP voters are motivated pretty much solely by tribalism and misanthropy, and Trump mainstreamed that and made it okay to outright admit it. Re-bottling that genie is going to take a lot of work, and work that is probably beyond the GOP leadership.

We finally got our wish that rural voters would stop voting against their interests as far as tax policies go.

Unfortunately, we got Trump's racism and sexism instead.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SpaceDrake posted:

It's not even a small faction, that's the entire thing. I keep beating this drum but Trump actually won by a huge margin, given how crowded the field was, especially during the early races. Only Cruz came within striking distance - everyone else was crushed and possibly had their political careers derailed by him (hi Marco). Trump's "base" is at least half of the Republican primary voting bloc - perhaps more, depending on how many Cruz supporters ended up being okay with Trump.

trump didn't win a majority - he only got 45% of the primary vote, about 2% more than sanders. i assume a large portion of trump's support at this time was as the middle finger protest candidate to the party, not because of trump himself. if there was one strong establishment candidate instead of a loose collection of them, trump would have lost

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mantis42 posted:

That's a 3% uptick in Hispanic turnout alone.

Edit: Holy poo poo.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Two things:

1. How long was WaPo sitting on this story? I know they have an axe to grind with Trump (rightfully so!) for when they revoked his press credentials. I also wonder if it was coordinated with the Clinton campaign. A win-win for both.

2. When will we start seeing meaningful polling from this?

boner confessor posted:

trump didn't win a majority - he only got 45% of the primary vote, about 2% more than sanders. if there was one strong establishment candidate instead of a loose collection of them, trump would have lost

I always loved how the GOP boasted their "deep bench" and it ended up screwing them in the end. Also, the deep bench metaphor doesn't work here because you can't substitute people so easily like you can in sports!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

seiferguy posted:

We're never going to be able to pry this specifically apart from the full week long meltdown and debate #2. Polling doesn't have temporal certainty to ever determine this in a vacuum.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Eeee-lection Daaayyyy! Election Day!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Thune got there a little faster than most, but he's always been on the cutting edge

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Once Trump has decimated his family's empire and there's no longer any money left in being nice to him, I hope Ivanka writes a tell-all book.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
At this point, Trump should get baptized tonight and roll out to the debate as a born again Christian.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Two things:

1. How long was WaPo sitting on this story? I know they have an axe to grind with Trump (rightfully so!) for when they revoked his press credentials. I also wonder if it was coordinated with the Clinton campaign. A win-win for both.

They didn't sit on the story, the leak happened on Friday and they published on Friday.

Meaningful polling will be in a week?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Someone photoshop Trump's face onto the dog's, please:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

it's not far off of 2012 turnouts. WW is the same, Hispanic is up 3%

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Captain Stalin posted:

So, does the Clinton campaign just start showing open contempt for Trump and start airing anti-Pence ads? Acting like Trump is effectively a nothing person?

Really hope that Hillary pulls out a pack of Tic Tacs at Sunday's debate.

Young Freud posted:

Is there some way we can ensure that I never see the like of Bachman, Coulter, Palin, Stone, Giuliani, Ailes, etc. or any of these ilk ever again. Like can the Republican Party literally do a purge of non-elected and former pundits, politicians, and personalities, keep them from :foxnews: and separate them from the Fundie Money speaking circuit. Have Priebus tell them to all "go starve in the wilderness in exile". What can we do to make this happen?
This will date me but I miss William F Buckley. Agree or not at least he could put forward coherent, rational arguments for his point of view.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

DaveWoo posted:

Here's a question for y'all - let's say you're Hillary Clinton's debate coach. How would you advise her to handle Drumpf in the next debate? How would you advise her to respond if Drumpf starts throwing out the accusations against her and her husband that he mentioned in last night's "apology" video?

Pull out a sword, throw him to the ground and ask the town hall audience to give a thumbs up/down on whether he gets to live

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Binary Logic posted:

This will date me but I miss William F Buckley. Agree or not at least he could put forward coherent, rational arguments for his point of view.

he was a racist turd.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Just take a step back and realize - It's pretty incredible that major news outlets are headlining speculation that Trump would quit the race, keeping timelines of his own party unendorsing him, quotes of his running mate distancing himself.

Even given what we all knew about Trump, how is this real life?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Binary Logic posted:

Groovelord Neato posted:

he was a racist turd.

I love it when a legacy-making GBS threads comes together like that.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

he was a racist turd.

Well yeah I mean that goes without saying, he was a conservative.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

what's truly fascinating about these sex scandals among elites like Trump and Bill Clinton is the populist appeal of making themselves out to be faithful husbands, when in fact they have a slew of sex partners, with the wife's permission or indifference.

"family/marital values" of the elites do not have the Puritan component of the ordinary plebs, and the plebs should snap out of their illusions

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bushiz posted:

it's not far off of 2012 turnouts. WW is the same, Hispanic is up 3%

Oh poo poo, that sounds pretty reasonable. Election night is going to be fun.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

63% of white women, and Hillary wins 492 EVs.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Binary Logic posted:

William Buckley had no counterargument to Gore Vidal in a public debate, and in response, called him a queer and threatened to punch him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYymnxoQnf8

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jygallax posted:

Sean Hannity appears to be comparing trump favorably to King David and his 500 concubines now on his show

I have a 20 euro bet that Hannity utters the phrase 'Boys will be boys' over the next week about Trump.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Jygallax posted:

ONE MAN AND ONE WOMAN (and his hundreds of concubines).

Also that whole thing with Bathsheba.

What I'm trying to say is that the comparison to David is an decent one, but that it says much more about David than it does about Trump.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

seiferguy posted:

There was a story about the story that says they anonymously got the tape at 10:00am on Friday, asked for a quick comment from the Trump campaign, received none, and then put it out. If it was directly coordinated, it was behind closed doors :tinfoil:

I think it's more likely that there's just a ton of this stuff out there due to his doing his style of business for 40+ years. The strategy of not paying out on contracts, litigation against everyone and just generally being an rear end leads us here. This is as close as it gets to karma.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bushiz posted:

William Buckley had no counterargument to Gore Vidal in a public debate, and in response, called him a queer and threatened to punch him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYymnxoQnf8

they both had the most annoying manner of speaking.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
All you needed to know was that he runs beauty pageants.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I wonder if in the next 2-4 years a well-organized third party could make some noise. I'm not saying they'd win anything in 2018 or even 2020, but maybe get to 15-20% nationally to really make people take notice and let people know there's another realistic option out there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/mmpadellan/status/784783340322824192

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

bad boy in the boy band posted:

I wonder if in the next 2-4 years a well-organized third party could make some noise. I'm not saying they'd win anything in 2018 or even 2020, but maybe get to 15-20% nationally to really make people take notice and let people know there's another realistic option out there.
But third parties aren't a realistic option.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Bushiz posted:

...after Vidal called him a nazi. They both seemed to enjoy that exchange.

When Trump says he wants to Make America Grope Great Again, I wonder if he's referring to the good old days of seated debates between pontificating intellectuals.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

Oh poo poo, that sounds pretty reasonable. Election night is going to be fun.

Polling from Donald's Bad August had Hispanics at 68/27 in the head-to-head, so he'll probably have to do something new to piss them off to see it push to 80.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Lets see them win a house seat first.

• Locked thread