Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

antisocial86 posted:

I've never played a Souls game before.

I've died about eighty times and I've been playing for a half hour.

What the gently caress.

If it's a big guy with a named health bar that you can barely damage and is killing you in two hits, the game is telling you to avoid him and come back later when you are levelled up a bit and/or have better gear.

If it's a grunt enemy that seems abnormally tough (like you aren't doing much damage at all), the game is telling you that you're under-levelled for that area.

If the grunts die in 2-3 hits, but you're getting gang beat to death, the game is telling you to change up your tactics and not play like it's God of War on PS3. You can be level 99 in this game and still get killed by level 1 grunts if they swarm you and stunlock you to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Bob Socko posted:

I've never played a Dark Souls game, but I have played a lot of Fallout. Are there any stats that are universally good, or alternately, any dump stats outside of niche builds?

You always want a lot of endurance for equip weight and stamina. Besides that it's mostly a matter of which build you're going and how much health you think you need.

Played a bunch last night, loving it though I feel a bit directionless. Presumably you're supposed to go to the castle eventually but the boss there kicked my rear end and took almost no damage from my weapons. Guessing it's more like the final dungeon for the area and I should be doing everything else before that.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Keep getting wrecked by Margit. You think by now From would learn how to program a Weapon wheel or a Item wheel instead of this Arcanine system still in place from the PS3

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

pentyne posted:

What are they? I'm at 10 str and 18 dex already starting from wretched.

They vary from weapon to weapon. If you are using something you like hang on to it and don't put more points into those stats unless you need them to wield something new you want to use.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I love that they didn't make the horse very animation-heavy. It turns on a dime and feels great.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Anyone find how to respec yet?

Titus Vespasian
Jan 31, 2015

"The body of a dead enemy always smells sweet."
How do I lock on target on a PC? The only help I can find is for a controller. I can't turn fast enough to keep facing him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
on PC press r3/control stick on your pc controller.

hobbez posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xyAHtC9xqUM

Everyone was riding this train like 4-5 days ago

This makes me feel good about my Wretched choice

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Titus Vespasian posted:

How do I lock on target on a PC? The only help I can find is for a controller. I can't turn fast enough to keep facing him.

My Google fu says q or middle click

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i don't think i'm supposed to get through that dark shore cave naked with a club and no light source but i was stubborn and did it anyway. thanks npc guy.

Titus Vespasian
Jan 31, 2015

"The body of a dead enemy always smells sweet."

Harold Fjord posted:

My Google fu says q or middle click

Tried that and it didn't seem to do anything.

Edit: Worked this time. Thanks.

Titus Vespasian fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 25, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Khanstant posted:

on PC press r3/control stick on your pc controller.

This makes me feel good about my Wretched choice

I think they pushed a patch or something because I saw my first armor drops today after 8 hours playing as wretched and ended up with 3 sets to wear in short order.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

NeurosisHead posted:

Margit is maybe the biggest roadblock boss in a souls game. It's really loving hard to adapt to a boss with multiple 3-6 attack combos.

He's also a boss you can totally put off until like 10+ hours in, I think most people are going there very 'early'

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How do I upgrade weapons lol. Am I supposed to wait until after the boss at the gate or am I just blind. Currently investigating down south because it was kicking the poo poo out of me

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jose posted:

How do I upgrade weapons lol. Am I supposed to wait until after the boss at the gate or am I just blind. Currently investigating down south because it was kicking the poo poo out of me

This is by church Santa

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

pentyne posted:

I think they pushed a patch or something because I saw my first armor drops today after 8 hours playing as wretched and ended up with 3 sets to wear in short order.

is think thats just FromSoft luck. I went a while before anything dropped, then walked past some random dude I forgot killing and he had like three pieces of armor and someone near him had a sword.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jose posted:

That and also a blacksmith in the "home base"

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

deep dish peat moss posted:

He's also a boss you can totally put off until like 10+ hours in, I think most people are going there very 'early'

What should you do instead? I'm getting wrecked by him non stop.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I strongly recommend following these starting steps for new players, this will unlock your mount, ashes of war, and spirit summoning right away, and those 3 things enable a whole lot more progress. Spoiled for the sake of anyone who wants to go in blind but I don't recommend it for these 3 early things.

1) from the starting area, proceed forward until you get to a boss fight. You need to either die or win the fight, either one.

2) after the fight you'll be in a new area. There is a ghost sitting in a chair next to a hole in the ground. Jump in that hole if you would like to do the tutorial, otherwise leave through the other door in the room.

3) light the bonfire outside. Look around and you'll see a church. Head to that church next, don't fight the big horseback man yet.

4) at the church talk to the vendor and light the bonfire. This vendor sells the crafting kit for 300 runes and a torch for 100 runes. You want to buy them both. There is also a blacksmith's anvil at the Church, approaching and looting it opens up weapon upgrading.

4) to the northwest ish side of the church is a series of high cliffs/precipices you can climb. Climb to the top and interact with the statue.

5) go to the location the statue points you toward to find a catacomb. Clear the boss of that catacomb.

6) return to any bonfire and rest. An npc should appear to give you your mount. If not, just run around for a while, find new bonfires, kill things, whatever - until you trigger the mount scene at a bonfire.

7) go back to the church bonfire and there should be a new npc there. Rest if they don't show up. if it doesn't seem to trigger, explore for a bit again and make sure you run around on your horse, then come back to the church. When the npc is there, talk to them to receive the ability to use spirit summons

8) Proceed up the road to the north from the church until you get to the Gate Ruins. Clear it and look for stairs leading down into the ground. Go down the stairs and open the treasure chest to get the final piece of the puzzle here, the item that lets you equip ashes of war.

All of this stuff can be summarized as new players should check out close-by buildings, rest at grace points, talk to the merchant (he tells you what's important to buy), and follow the light that points where to go.

The early game is not nearly as confusing as people are making it out to be.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Castle Morne spoiler question

Anyone know how to free the noble spirit locked in the cage?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pmchem posted:

PC Elden Ring chat. I see it has mixed reviews on steam, lots of complaints about performance issues. I'm fortunate not to be experiencing any problems. newer build: i7-12700K, 2TB WD SN850, ASUS TUF RTX 3060 (carryover), 32GB CL16 DDR4-3600 running at XMP timings. Windows 11, minimal software installs (e.g. no tweak/OC software, no unnecessary drivers). I'm playing with KB+M and doing well. Biggest annoyance is figuring out what menu / action controller icons map to what keys, as it changes based on context. Here's what I wrote down so far:

yellow-Y == F (menu), E (in-world)
green-A == E
red-B == Q
blue-X == R
double-square == G
triple-lines == ESC
LB/RB ... unsure? I can't figure out the keys for those in menus. I just use mouse.
down-arrow anvil thing == X
to 2-hand a weapon, E + lefl-click (not obvious from tutorial!)

This game is AMAZING so far, great variety of fights, feels like a living world, wonderful graphics for a fromsoft/last-gen game, nicely redone multiplayer coop mechanics, and exploration is totally rewarded. A++ I'm in love.

there's a switch in the HUD options you can flip to turn it to kb+m prompts

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Looking forward to getting my rear end kicked in new and exciting ways after work.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t feel like this is an open world in the sense of like… Witcher 3, where you pick a direction and you can go there.

I feel like these are all their own open zones stitched together given how each zone seems to have defined entrances/exits.

I’m splitting hairs here obviously. And I don’t mean it as a negative. I think I’m enjoying exploring this world the most out of any except the original DS (and Bloodborne, tbh).

Full transparency I’m only a few hours in so I’m not saying this with a fully informed deck of cards.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
After 30 mins in the intro stuff and a good 2 hours troubleshooting my framerate stuff to mixed results, it took me a good full 3.5 hours to beat the tree guardian or whatever the horsedudes name was. Admittedly it would have been easier if I hadn't decided to get it done as a naked level 1 wretch, but I needed the practice since I haven't touched my controller since Sekiro released lol. Should have only taken me 2.5 but I choked on the last 20% like five times.

Immediately spent all my souls getting crafting stuff at the merchant, legend of naked level 1 wretch will continue. But not now because my thumb is sore as gently caress.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

VictualSquid posted:

I started out as a wretch, as many recommended.
A bit annoyed that I found almost no equipment before finding shops for the category. Except for greatswords, curved greatswords and great-rapier.
Anyways I am planning to spec into sourcery, but I can't find any catalysts. Can someone give me a hint. I found a store that sells talismans, a sorcery seller without staffs, a city of sorcery with dad-mask sorcerers that kick my rear end. But no catalysts.
Can anybody give me a tip?

North of Church of Irith there's a merchant that sells the Astrologer's gear, 16 int req for their staff

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I strongly recommend following these starting steps for new players, this will unlock your mount, ashes of war, and spirit summoning right away, and those 3 things enable a whole lot more progress. Spoiled for the sake of anyone who wants to go in blind but I don't recommend it for these 3 early things.

1) from the starting area, proceed forward until you get to a boss fight. You need to either die or win the fight, either one.

2) after the fight you'll be in a new area. There is a ghost sitting in a chair next to a hole in the ground. Jump in that hole if you would like to do the tutorial, otherwise leave through the other door in the room.

3) light the bonfire outside. Look around and you'll see a church. Head to that church next, don't fight the big horseback man yet.

4) at the church talk to the vendor and light the bonfire. This vendor sells the crafting kit for 300 runes and a torch for 100 runes. You want to buy them both. There is also a blacksmith's anvil at the Church, approaching and looting it opens up weapon upgrading.

4) to the northwest ish side of the church is a series of high cliffs/precipices you can climb. Climb to the top and interact with the statue.

5) go to the location the statue points you toward to find a catacomb. Clear the boss of that catacomb.

6) return to any bonfire and rest. An npc should appear to give you your mount. If not, just run around for a while, find new bonfires, kill things, whatever - until you trigger the mount scene at a bonfire.

7) go back to the church bonfire and there should be a new npc there. Rest if they don't show up. if it doesn't seem to trigger, explore for a bit again and make sure you run around on your horse, then come back to the church. When the npc is there, talk to them to receive the ability to use spirit summons

8) Proceed up the road to the north from the church until you get to the Gate Ruins. Clear it and look for stairs leading down into the ground. Go down the stairs and open the treasure chest to get the final piece of the puzzle here, the item that lets you equip ashes of war.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Might reroll and do that now that I have a better sense as to how stats work. And oh! is it going to be nice to have a torch.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

There's a hunched over statue with a candle in its hand and a fog trail to the ground near Oridys' rise

what do?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I have three different key item eyeballs in my inventory. I know what ONE of them is for. This is an extremely souls experience, lol.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Deviant posted:

There's a hunched over statue with a candle in its hand and a fog trail to the ground near Oridys' rise

what do?

I think those statues always point to/unlock a dungeon entrance.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I've been playing a few hours now, and my overall feeling is "this is nice, but I've done it before." Right now it just feels like Big Souls. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but I don't know... I was kind of hoping for more? Is this just what this game is, or is there a shakeup coming (at least in terms of gameplay)?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Phoix posted:

I think those statues always point to/unlock a dungeon entrance.

well i did find impaler's catacombs so i guess so

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Where should I go instead of I can't beat Margit?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

satanic splash-back posted:

All of this stuff can be summarized as new players should check out close-by buildings, rest at grace points, talk to the merchant (he tells you what's important to buy), and follow the light that points where to go.

The early game is not nearly as confusing as people are making it out to be.

It's less confusing and more "getting suddenly ganked" while in the process of trying to explore so knowing where to beeline to early on is good.

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Literally anywhere else.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Just go wander around, find some trouble to get into, check out the crabs, open a totally legit chest. It's an open world game... I'm like nearly level 30 and haven't even seen the gate to the castle yet, just faffing about Lingrave and the peninsula.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
I really think the SoulsGenre type game is for people who have a deep need for self validation and ego lifting. I don't see the appeal in being triumphant in such an endeavor and I feel like for the select few who do like it genuinely, the rest are just doing it out of insecurity.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I study videos on how to beat Margit, then I try it again and die in 5 seconds. They make it look so easy. One youtubers using a wand and attacking from a distance. Another youtubers character seems to dodge quicker than my character. And i'm not good at recognizing enemy patterns, let alone memorizing them.

But this is what makes it a From Software game. U get beatdowns.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

kneelbeforezog posted:

I really think the SoulsGenre type game is for people who have a deep need for self validation and ego lifting. I don't see the appeal in being triumphant in such an endeavor and I feel like for the select few who do like it genuinely, the rest are just doing it out of insecurity.

lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

kneelbeforezog posted:

Make this the thread title. :lol:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

kneelbeforezog posted:

Naw thats people who broadcast their gaming sessions on Twitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
At work

Thinking about those beans Elden Rings.