Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Just do what I do and unplug your phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Everyday carry (EDC) postings are really popular all over the internets. So GBS... what are your essentials that you must carry on a daily basis?

i carry two smartphones and a big .45 in case i need to shoot myself in the brain

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I love the Warheads in that first pic, that's such a goony touch.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
what's the best computer?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
let me get my gun

xjohnson
Sep 7, 2006
Johnson?
Young Orc
Lol I'm 18 and ppl know me for falling asleep in meetings.

lol when do I get *yawn* promoted?

I took a marketing class in high school.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

dad gay. so what posted:

let me get my gun

Annie?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dad gay. so what posted:

what's the best computer?

Lenovo Thinkpad T420

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Sheep-Goats posted:

Lenovo Thinkpad W520

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I have no idea how computers work and I'm proud of it.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
I'm a lazy, thieving, toxic saboteur who cannot be trusted to do his job for 2 hours without browsing a dumb internet forum, i am also needlessly addicted to various mood-altering substances

Someone please murder me with the gardening implement of your choice

this isnt a cry for help so much as a request to murder me with the gardening implement of your choice

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
im visualiznig helmeted nerds falling off horses before the gates even open

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dude works for NASA's secret security service but can't afford a holster :v:

he doesn't work for NASA

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

maybe this gaylord could get a loving multi tool and fix that loose utility plate cover behind him.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
could have sworn that guys name was murtyl, or murkyl or something like that. it's martyr? i think i'm going insane like those i.t. workers!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Look I just ordered a t420 refurb don't make me feel bad about it ok

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

why the gently caress would you buy a lenovo in current year?

Dude, you're gettin' a dell.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wearing oddly colpured Hawaiian shirts to work is cool and good.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

I want that sweet rear end keyboard holmes

Also it was almost free

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

it was free

Fixed that for myself. LOL if you work at a place that doesn't at least let their IT staff snag a laptop off the top of the disposal pile after a refresh. It's basically the only perk of working in corporate IT. I haven't paid for a computer in years.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

EvilJoven posted:

Fixed that for myself. LOL if you work at a place that doesn't at least let their IT staff snag a laptop off the top of the disposal pile after a refresh. It's basically the only perk of working in corporate IT. I haven't paid for a computer in years.

I am not in IT.

If you get a free w420 or w520 or other modern Thinkpad PM me in the future.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 16, 2017

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

a bone to pick posted:

new x1 carbon/yoga are good poo poo if you can score one with the OLED

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
A 65" TV? 5K? Curved?

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:
The longer you're in I/T, the fewer gadgets you have at home. Because gently caress working on kinda sorta job related poo poo at home. All I want to do is watch The Amazing World of Gumball with my kids and get stoned when they go to sleep.

Also, stupid cron not setting up the environment correctly so my stupid script can reliably determine what stupid perl modules are installed.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Jailbrekr posted:

The longer you're in I/T, the fewer gadgets you have at home. Because gently caress working on kinda sorta job related poo poo at home. All I want to do is watch The Amazing World of Gumball with my kids and get stoned when they go to sleep.

Also, stupid cron not setting up the environment correctly so my stupid script can reliably determine what stupid perl modules are installed.

This, for sure. When my router has issues I just buy a new one, all my files are kept on a Synology NAS instead of some hand crafted Lunix server, etc.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

first prize is a 65" TV

the world's heaviest trinitron

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

500 bad things posted:

This, for sure. When my router has issues I just buy a new one, all my files are kept on a Synology NAS instead of some hand crafted Lunix server, etc.

And I bought my wife a Mac book air with Time Capsule, and a NUC running Ubuntu because screw the constant cleanup from god knows what malware embedding itself into the registry. I'm a senior UNIX admin damnit, not some snot nosed right out of college tier 1 mra nice guy poofter who gets his jokes from 4chan, political opinions from Reddit and memes from 9gag.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

i also walk around with a lot of edc but its all guns and knives and a colostomy bag

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Sheep-Goats posted:

i was just joshing its a fine piece of equipment

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

bitmap posted:

the only good thing that ever happened to me when I was working in IT was when I grew pot because I had so much time to read TCC during work hours, and when another goon who was a student at the university I was an IT man for asked me if I could sell him any weed I just gave him heaps of weed thinking that it was nice to give back to the community which made my days bearable but I guess he got creeped out that some IT guy was just forking over weed and barely even thanked me

FYI I would've dropped it my knees and sucked the balls right out of your sack.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

Dude works for NASA's secret security service but can't afford a holster :v:

he doesn't work for NASA

He was a janitor

a cloth map
Oct 29, 2011

No thanks. I'm a Government man.
I'm in telecom. Am I an IT worker?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

fyodor posted:

FYI I would've dropped it my knees and sucked the balls right out of your sack.

lol he's browsing GBS right now

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

adult man having a slapfight about how he makes phone calls to vendors which is infinitely more noble than making phone calls to contractors megathread was too long of a title

the best submission wins first prize.

first prize is a 65" TV

* sends email to Lawrence, (my closest technical rival at The Company) and The Boss. CC's entire IT team. *

Lawrence,

I was working on our west coast customers database and I noticed you left SQL Developer running on the desktop. We all need to make sure we are working as a team to follow the rules so we can be a more effective team.

-Dave

* forwards this email to The Boss *

The Boss,

I don't think Lawrence is catching on and I was wondering if I could schedule some training time to help him.

-Dave

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
im hacking the gibson

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How to make an IT person quake with unquenchable rage:

1) Find a program that's supposed to run on Windows Vista
2) Post a forum post on any support forum ever for your problem, and mention that you run Vista
3) Prepare for a tidal wave of hate. Not at Vista, but at you personally for running Vista!

I'm serious too this is like unbendable truth. It's a shame Vista is completely unsupported now because it'll be less effective.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Mirthless posted:

i don't primarily answer phone calls for a living and resetting people's computers is a lot harder than checking my email for contractor extensions and hitting an "approve" button a couple of times a day

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jailbrekr posted:

I've been doing this poo poo for 13 years now. I've gone from basic pc janitor type to network admin in that time. When my girlfriends computer blue-screened I just went and bought her a new one. gently caress working on it.

Meanwhile one of my new to the field pc tech types is super excited about his smart home bullshit and jail breaking his amazon fire stick. gently caress all that it sounds an awful lot like work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

How to make an IT person quake with unquenchable rage:

1) Find a program that's supposed to run on Windows Vista
2) Post a forum post on any support forum ever for your problem, and mention that you run Vista
3) Prepare for a tidal wave of hate. Not at Vista, but at you personally for running Vista!

I'm serious too this is like unbendable truth. It's a shame Vista is completely unsupported now because it'll be less effective.

Vista wasn't as bad as some nerds made it out to be. Server 2012r1 on the other hand is annoying as poo poo.

• Locked thread