Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

X-O posted:

Oh man I forgot about that one. It's unfortunate how that went down and that it made it to press, but actually how it got put in there is a pretty funny story. drat fax machines.

This was the first I've heard of it so I googled it and the first result refers to it as the 'racial slur variant,' which is probably not what Marvel should make their next series of variants after they get bored with the hip-hop thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rochallor posted:

This was the first I've heard of it so I googled it and the first result refers to it as the 'racial slur variant,' which is probably not what Marvel should make their next series of variants after they get bored with the hip-hop thing.

The original story as I remember was a comical series of a late writer switch, rewrites, and late deadlines all capped off with a late copy of it being mangled by a fax so that the word killer showed up as what was printed.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

X-O posted:

The original story as I remember was a comical series of a late writer switch, rewrites, and late deadlines all capped off with a late copy of it being mangled by a fax so that the word killer showed up as what was printed.
Yeah, Wolverine's first ongoing series turned into a real shitshow at a certain point.

After some initial writer roulette, Larry Hama took over the book with issue 31 and wrote drat near every issue from then until issue 118.

31-118 were written by Larry Hama.
119-122 were by Warren Ellis, who kicked off his longstanding tradition of doing a short run and then bouncing.
123-124 were two glorified inventory stories by Tom DeFalco (and Denys Cowan/Bill Sienkiewicz)
125 was meant to be the Triumphant Return of Chris Claremont with the SHOCK STORY OF HOW WOLVERINE WAS ACTUALLY MARRIED TO VIPER!!!! Claremont hastily left the book four issues later.
129-131 was Todd Dezago trying to wrap up Claremont's plotlines, and two and a half issues in HE left the book for whatever reason, leaving a fresh faced rookie Brian K Vaughn (in his fifth Marvel assignment) to finish scripting the book. This is where THE KIKE CALLED SABRETOOTH came in. This didn't hurt BKV's career in the long run, but
132 was handed to veteran X-cleanup dude Fabian Niceza to for-real wrap up Claremont's dangling plot threads.
133-149 was written by Erik Larsen of all people.
150-153 launched X-MEN REVOLUTION, which was one of those "we're going to announce all new awesome lineups for all of our books" things, where Steve Skroce wrote and drew the book, but that was just a four-issue prelude to
154-157 featuring ROB LIEFELD WRITING AND DRAWING THE BOOK ALL BY HIMSELF, except for the parts written by Eric Stephenson and the majority of the pages drawn by Ian Churchill
158 was a fill-in by Joe Pruett trying to make Zaran of Batroc's Brigade into a stone cold badass
159-176 let Frank "Fuckin" Tieri settle into a groove for a run that featured MISTER X, Wolverine repeatedly getting his eyes gouged out, and for no clear reason a bunch of pretty nice JH Williams III covers.
177-180 was an arc by Matt Nixon, best known ("best" "known") as the co-writer of the indie book Ant, which asks what would happen if a giant lady ant had huge breasts and rear end?
181-186 was a victory lap from Frank Tieri where he reminded us that Garth Ennis is a weenie and Punisher is probably some kinda closet homo case, you know what I mean bro?
187-189 was Daniel Way trying out his HHH style for Wolverine Origins

So after 88 issues by Larry Hama, the next 71 were spread out amongst fourteen writers, and aside from some fun art, some below-replacement-level Ellis mercenary work, and a racial slur, there's basically nothing worth remembering in the entire run.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

a bunch of pretty nice JH Williams III covers.

Nice. Just lemme check that run...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
between hama and aaron wolverine ongoings were basically a no man's land yeah

i own way too many of those books

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Watching people flip out about a Quran verse they don't understand is both entertaining and sad. Also watching hundreds of people collect as many copies of a book as they can, because if every copy is kept pristine surely they'll all be worth something someday.

Edit- also the really ridiculous interpretations of what is basically a shoutout to local current events. I don't want to make it a big thing in BSS but...

fadam posted:

It's pretty funny how comics Twitter went nuts about Spider-Woman's butt, but nobody of any note is saying anything one way or the other about literal open religious intolerance.

Referencing a verse from your own holy book isn't religious intolerance, hth.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 10, 2017

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nevvy Z posted:

Watching people flip out about a Quran verse they don't understand is both entertaining and sad. Also watching hundreds of people collect as many copies of a book as they can, because if every copy is kept pristine surely they'll all be worth something someday.

Edit- also the really ridiculous interpretations of what is basically a shoutout to local current events. I don't want to make it a big thing in BSS but...

The interpretation of the verse as not having Christian or Jewish leaders is the religious intolerance.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Nevvy Z posted:

thinking emoji

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Mr Hootington posted:

The interpretation of the verse as not having Christian or Jewish leaders is the religious intolerance.

And it's especially bad in a book where the team leader is Jewish and one of the characters was a Catholic priest (kinda).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mr Hootington posted:

If only that interpretation was remotely accurate!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I chalk the buy rush to the way collectors' brains are wired. It's no different than something being labeled as "limited edition" except this time you know for a fact they're not gonna go back on that and print a bunch more. I honestly had the urge to go out and buy a copy, but then I, too, remembered how cheaply I was able to pick up a copy of The Kike Called Sabretooth. Even then, there's that little niggling feeling of "you'll never have the chance to get this agaaaain" as I remind myself I do not in fact care and there is next to zero chance a comic printed this century will ever be worth more than a couple times its purchase price.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Or present in the work!

Diet Poison posted:

I chalk the buy rush to the way collectors' brains are wired. It's no different than something being labeled as "limited edition" except this time you know for a fact they're not gonna go back on that and print a bunch more. I honestly had the urge to go out and buy a copy, but then I, too, remembered how cheaply I was able to pick up a copy of The Kike Called Sabretooth. Even then, there's that little niggling feeling of "you'll never have the chance to get this agaaaain" as I remind myself I do not in fact care and there is next to zero chance a comic printed this century will ever be worth more than a couple times its purchase price.

It's interesting because the drive to collect and bag and preserve these valuable unique printings is what makes them worthless. Action comics #1 only has value because most people threw it away.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Come on guys he's not anti-semitic, he's anti-Christian.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Nevvy Z posted:

Or present in the work!
It was the entire context for the protests that the artist supports and the 212 references

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/Marvel/comments/64bc6t/ardian_syaf_just_posted_this_defensive_post_on/

I love how the artist posted on Facebook about how he attended the 212 rally, and stated that it is what is being referenced. Yet, that's still not enough apparently.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I love that the redditor felt that they had to explicitly replace "non-Muslim" with "non-white" to make people understand why it was bad. Are there really people that thick? Don't @ me.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Endless Mike posted:

I love that the redditor felt that they had to explicitly replace "non-Muslim" with "non-white" to make people understand why it was bad. Are there really people that thick? Don't @ me.

Some people really need the emotional resonance of something that strikes close to home to 'get' why others are so passionate about something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's the interpretation the artist is using, which is the point.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's the interpretation the artist is using, which is the point.

Fair point; I guess I'd just like to see some nuance between "the artist is interpreting this passage in an intolerant way" and "the passage is inherently intolerant," which admittedly is probably a big ask given, y'know, the Internet. Mea culpa.

EDIT: To note, I'm not trying to accuse any posters here of lacking nuance, just the conversation in general as I've been exposed to it over the last few days has been aggravating

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 10, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean any phrase that starts with "Don't trust Christians and Jews to..." is a little bit intolerant.

Like even if it's "to watch your children when they're a convicted baby serial killer" would still raise the question of why you gotta specify religion.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

Endless Mike posted:

Like you have seen this right?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

site posted:

In case anyone is interested G Willow Wilson put up a nice post on her tumblr about this

http://gwillowwilson.com/post/159367075123/here-is-what-quran-551-actually-says

Right before I heard about the X-Men scandal I came across a website of a friendship between Jews and Muslims advocacy group that says pretty much this.

Ironically there's actually a verse of the Quran that instructs Muslims not to cherry pick the Quran.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lightning Lord posted:

Ironically there's actually a verse of the Quran that instructs Muslims not to cherry pick the Quran.

Wouldn't that be really easy to ignore if you're already cherry picking the Quran?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Wouldn't that be really easy to ignore if you're already cherry picking the Quran?

:psyduck:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lightning Lord posted:

Right before I heard about the X-Men scandal I came across a website of a friendship between Jews and Muslims advocacy group that says pretty much this.

Being a fundamentalist or an rear end in a top hat seems to be religion-agnostic, other than fringe details(Christians pluck their own eyes out way more often than other religious groups); cherry-picking your book of choice seems to be a key trait.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Nessus posted:

Being a fundamentalist or an rear end in a top hat seems to be religion-agnostic, other than fringe details(Christians pluck their own eyes out way more often than other religious groups); cherry-picking your book of choice seems to be a key trait.

Though fundies are interesting in that they cherrypick to avoid the parts of the Bible Jesus directly participated in.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, the anti-feminist islamophobic militant atheists all over the net are pretty good evidence that you don't need to be religious to be a fundamentalist with really lovely ideas that contradict the works you claim to base your life on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They're also the ones who go "Why do you care about the wage gap or rape culture when MUSLIMS treat women way worse!" as if they actually care outside of making Muslims all seem like lovely people. Forget that Autocratic Theocracies are never very good for women, gays or minorities, no matter their religious beliefs.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Anyone even remotely aware of this situation should realize that it is not something worth defending. It's loving vile.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, to confirm, just cause I'm not seeing it there, the artist has either left of his own accord or been fired.

http://13thdimension.com/ardian-syaf-my-career-is-over-now/

quote:

Hello, Worlds…
My career is over now.
It’s the consequence what I did, and I take it.
Please no more mockery, debat, no more hate. I hope all in peace.
In this last chance, I want to tell you the true meaning of the numbers, 212 and QS 5:51.
It is number of JUSTICE. It is number of LOVE. My love to Holy Qur’an…my love to the last prophet, the Messenger…my love to ALLAH, The One God.
My apologize for all the noise. Good bye, May God bless you all. I love all of you.
-Ardian Syaf-

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wonder if they'll take his name off the next few issues that are already completed. I would think not but this is a special case.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Was Rat Queens on hiatus when Roc Upchurch was arrested/fired or did they have finished issues ready to go?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Onmi posted:

So, to confirm, just cause I'm not seeing it there, the artist has either left of his own accord or been fired.

I'm betting he got fired, I just wonder if it's gonna delay any future issues he's already completed while they go over the art with a fine tooth comb.

Edit, naw they'll just play it safe and have Greg Land redraw everything so they can get it out in time.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 11, 2017

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Onmi posted:

Marvel said they were taking disciplinary action and he's saying his career is over, gonna go with he was fired lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
#2 ships out for next week, #3 is supposedly complete as well. Nobody can confirm if #4 is penciled yet.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Aww. I love you too, Ardian :)

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I appreciate that his parting message was one of good grace and attempted reconcilliation (kinda), but I grew up in a community divided by sectarianism and sectarian violence and I have zero patience for anyone inciting it. I won't say it often, but this was absolutely the right call on Marvel's part.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nilbop posted:

I appreciate that his parting message was one of good grace and attempted reconcilliation (kinda), but I grew up in a community divided by sectarianism and sectarian violence and I have zero patience for anyone inciting it. I won't say it often, but this was absolutely the right call on Marvel's part.

Any other move on Marvel's part and the issue would have blown up even bigger, I would imagine. Firing was the only way to go.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the fact that his goodbye message still referred to his view of the quran verse interpretation in question as "JUSTICE" makes this sound like a 'sorry I got caught' thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blockhouse posted:

the fact that his goodbye message still referred to his view of the quran verse interpretation in question as "JUSTICE" makes this sound like a 'sorry I got caught' thing

• Locked thread