Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Ubisoft hire this man.

Also make an rear end Creed set in feudal Japan.

That comes after Far Cry 6 where the LDS are the baddies and aren't painted in some loving clownshoes "but what if they're right and you're the bad guy!" light.

Also the AI responds more like it does in that Doom Eternal reveal where Doom Slayer shows up at the UAC and everyone is loving terrified because holy crap you're wasting entire bases yourself with a bow and a broken bottle? That should have an impact on how the enemy sees you instead of "ha ha you got captured now I'm gonna babble on about sin for ten minutes and you can't do poo poo about it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Apparently Anthem has some quests in it like Destiny had for certain exotic weapons, but instead of being optional side quests they're things you have to grind for hours to do to advance the campaign. Oof.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I fired up Battletech yesterday for the first time, and really had a demoralizing start into the game.

On the one hand, the graphical glitching (as in collision models of mechs just clipping through terrain and such) kinda put me off, and the overall graphics didn't seem like I was playing a 2018 game, but the soul-crushing aspect was running through the "tutorial" mission that led into the "Coronation Day" mission.
Since I've decided not to save-scum in turn-based games at all, I figured I'd be fine, and then just casually played through the missions, making some unfortunate choices due to not being familiar with the game mechanics, like alpha-striking once too often when I had wanted to do a melee attack, doing melee attacks when I had wanted to stay ranged, giving up sides or backs and such.

The final mistake was being a bit confused by the order in which your units apparently get to take turns, so my plan to move through a mountain pass for an elevated position and tactical advantage over some puny vehicles turned into a shitshow when the leading mech essentially blocked a one-tile space, and the congestion allowed the other dumb tiny vehicles to relocate and negate the entirety of my advantage. What then compacted my gently caress-up was that the last mission trigger went off in the most unfortunate moments, and suddenly my mechs were busy dunking on puny vehicles while getting flanked by three fresh lower-tonnage mechs.

This - by itself - probably still wouldn't have broken my back, but the fact that all of my mechs had taken damage in the dumbest possible ways previously, and one was massively overheated due to an accidental alpha strike then opened me for a series of truly loving-:xcom: moments. I missed three full barrages in series and then ate two comically accurate barrages of return fire that eventually killed one of my guys, failing the mission.

I figure I'll just replay the section from the last - I assumed - save point in the mission, but I learned that Battletech doesn't do those, and whoops, I'm back to the start of the tutorial.

I'll set it aside for a bit, and maybe look into a quick guide and the mechanics before picking it up again, but that was a really rough start into a game in terms of motivation.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Vasudus posted:

I really wanted to have a cool new good loot shooter but I looked at like two videos of Anthem and was like 'lolnope'

Just wait like a month for The Division 2.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

Just wait like a month for The Division 2.

Played the closed beta. Still a bullet sponge game.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Anthem is not getting good praise. Really hoping this turns out to be a huge turd now that FO76 comedy is running low.

it hasn’t been getting good praise since it was announced lol

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZDrZQLtT0

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

EBB posted:

Played the closed beta. Still a bullet sponge game.

Really? I thought the TTK was a lot better, and once you hit an armored enemy's weak point and bust their armor off they melt pretty fast.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Sounds pretty bullet spongey

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I just picked up a switch yesterday with BOTW and Diablo (for now), and yup, this things pretty neato

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlGMsJgyORk

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Been thinking of picking up Diablo for my Switch since it's on sale, but I've never really played them before and I'm not sure if is be into it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

A Bad Poster posted:

Been thinking of picking up Diablo for my Switch since it's on sale, but I've never really played them before and I'm not sure if is be into it.

its really really good on switch

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Console diablo has great controls with a roll and having it on a portable Switch version sounds dope

It’s been out for a while now and has been infinitely made a better game over the years a few times over

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Breath of the Wild is loving amazing. I've been marathoning this for weeks and there's still tons of stuff to do.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I’m super bummed you cannot port your wii-u save to the switch for BOTW. Not that it should have been expected. I think you can with a PC and hacking but meh

Need to dust off my wii-u and finish that game so I can finally get rid of my wii-u. Nintendo is porting everything and made the wii-u worthless fast lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Console diablo has great controls with a roll and having it on a portable Switch version sounds dope

It’s been out for a while now and has been infinitely made a better game over the years a few times over

Diablo 3 is absolutely perfect on Switch

It also doesn't require the useless Nintendo online subscription to play Seasons

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i seriously prefer diablo 3 on switch over pc

its an excellent port that runs rock solid and controls wonderfully. it comes with all the expansions, runs great online, and season mode is enough to keep me playing

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

and tetris 99 makes nintendo online worth it

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I got Diablo on my Switch, you guys were right this game is so good :stare:

Since I bought my Switch I haven't played my Xbox or PS4 at all, with the exception of plowing through Crackdown 3 in a day and a half. There are so many incredible games one this thing now.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Hey dudes, can someone explain the appeal of Diablo? I played through it on Xbox and it was just button mashing for what felt like the entire time.

I want to like it because I used to love the very first one, but maybe I’m missing something.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Dude McAwesome posted:

Hey dudes, can someone explain the appeal of Diablo? I played through it on Xbox and it was just button mashing for what felt like the entire time.

I want to like it because I used to love the very first one, but maybe I’m missing something.

I can't speak for everyone, but sometimes you just need a button masher to bust the hell out of some demons.

Also some of it is probably nostalgia for everyone in this age group from D2.

e: Also, I haven't played it yet, but definitely downloaded the Switch port of Super Bomberman.

e2: At least I thought I did, it does not appear in my program list though. That's annoying and sure ain't paying 40 bucks for Bomberman (yet).

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 20, 2019

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
So far so good with switch diablo. I played it a bunch on launch on PC (back when the real money auction house was still a thing), and I guess it’s changed a lot. I take it seasons are just an excuse to roll a new character and blow through challenges and get things?

I’m already blown away by BOTW, and I still haven’t even gotten the paraglider yet. I felt like a kid again just running around and discovering all things I can do. Really glad I acted on that impulse and bought the switch.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

the paraglider owns hard

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

and tetris 99 makes nintendo online worth it

How bad does it suck getting your rear end beat on Tetris 99 because if its gentle I might try it, but I'm not about to be up here in these streets catching L's (both) from teenagers and getting poo poo talked.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I got stoned and played Tetris99 for a couple hours yesterday. It's Tetris.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

no voice chat so go nuts

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The purpose of ARPG seasons is to get you to do the treadmill over again.

For Path of Exile, a new league (season) usually introduces a considerable gimmick that may appear in the base game (usually watered down) some time in the near future. They just announced their new league, Synthesis, yesterday for an 8 March launch. Everybody starts fresh when a new league launches.

For Diablo 3 I think each season gets you a new set of armor. The gently caress if I know, I don't play it. Casual trash.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Vasudus posted:

The purpose of ARPG seasons is to get you to do the treadmill over again.

For Path of Exile, a new league (season) usually introduces a considerable gimmick that may appear in the base game (usually watered down) some time in the near future. They just announced their new league, Synthesis, yesterday for an 8 March launch. Everybody starts fresh when a new league launches.

For Diablo 3 I think each season gets you a new set of armor. The gently caress if I know, I don't play it. Casual trash.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
it's intimidating for like a day, sack up gamer man

edit: there's a shitload of guides available for people that are new to the game that go into as much detail as you want, and plenty of builds that are as simple as diablo

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 20, 2019

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I tried path of exile. The starting beach area had no way off. It was cool.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

SquirrelyPSU posted:

How bad does it suck getting your rear end beat on Tetris 99 because if its gentle I might try it, but I'm not about to be up here in these streets catching L's (both) from teenagers and getting poo poo talked.

Apparently the real monsters in Tetris 99 are retirees that have been playing for decades :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUbs__eGPmI&t=2841s

This looks so stressful though holy poo poo

Also Necromancer in Diablo 3 is a hoot. Send a bunch of skeletons to clear out a wave of enemies, then detonate corpses and send more enemies flying into the camera

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

top so far:

if i had lasted 5 more seconds i'd have won

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

:smugdog:

At the end it just becomes a game of clearing lines faster than the other guy. I just got lucky with my blocks on that one.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ya the top leaderboards in Tetris 99 are definitely the sweatlands. Music and the remixes are dope. Fun game and good move on Nintendo’s part for sure to get people to buy online

I guess the sometimes randomness of “attacking” others levels the playing field a bit.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

nice

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

tetris rules

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Tetris is the best. I'm glad it's had a resurgence lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

To the surprise of no one, Anthem is getting dragged in it's reviews. lol.