Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Xaris posted:

Sacramento is not really popular with the white bland trustafarian east coast or midwest kids, but it's feeling more pressure from more actual middling class moving out of the bay. And really housing costs are still pretty low there, just not exactly pop places like midtown where bay refugees want to move.

Stuff like this catches my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is there nowhere in California with cheap or even reasonable priced housing?

Glorious Modoc County, home of a median home price of $105,000, a population of under 9,000, a small part of a very underrated national monument and a large part of a great national forest, and also no jobs.

In other news and in no surprise to anyone, the estimated cost of the bullet train has increased by a cool $13 billion.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Ron Jeremy posted:

This is my complaint. The thicker bags suck at being poop bags so I end up buying special poops bags.

Yeah but dog poop bags are less than $15 for 1000 of the drat things, and are more convenient than reused grocery bags anyway.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bastard Tetris posted:

Watching people go to insane lengths to carry groceries without dropping ten cents on a bag is absolutely worth every hassle of the bag ban.

Seriously lol. I don't even live in California and I bring my own bags because I can use insulated bags for cold stuff and carry more without the bags ripping in my reusable bags. I even have reusable produce bags now. I would have thought everyone in California was using reusables just for the feelgoods based on the vibe I get visiting.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

punk rebel ecks posted:

Stuff like this catches my attention.
Yeah it's certainly being a Problem and gunna get worse. Though it looks more alarming to say prices have gone up from say 12%! which came from say $800 to $900; meanwhile median rent in bay area is still like $2X00. Someone coming the Bay will be estatic to "only pay' $1.2k even after it's been going up 10% because drat that's a lot more affordable. Certainly bad, but it's not quite as shocking as a 4% increase on a typical 2.5k place.

I used to live in Davis and briefly Sac around ~2010 and I was only paying about ~$700 for a decent place in both, which I miss. Not quite sure what been going on sense other than talking to a few friends who've bought houses out there.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Xaris posted:

Yeah it's certainly being a Problem and gunna get worse. Though it looks more alarming to say prices have gone up from say 12%! which came from say $800 to $900; meanwhile median rent in bay area is still like $2X00. Someone coming the Bay will be estatic to "only pay' $1.2k even after it's been going up 10% because drat that's a lot more affordable. Certainly bad, but it's not quite as shocking as a 4% increase on a typical 2.5k place.

I used to live in Davis and briefly Sac around ~2010 and I was only paying about ~$700 for a decent place in both, which I miss. Not quite sure what been going on sense other than talking to a few friends who've bought houses out there.

Thanks. I'll keep tabs on Sacremento.

Does the city live up to it's diversity claims? Like how is day to day life different than in other cities?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Does the city live up to it's diversity claims? Like how is day to day life different than in other cities?
I'm not sure I would exactly call Sacramento exceptionally diverse unless you are talking about the small central core. I'd suppose you could say neighborhoods are somewhat less segregated, but for day to day life.... uhm I'm not sure I noticed much other than having a diverse selection of food without having to travel to the other end of the city.

There still are neighborhoods that have a reputation for clusters of certain ethnicities. For instance, South Natomas is considered Hispanic, Oak Park Black, and you can't throw a rock along Stockton Blvd without hitting a Phở place.

This map is nice for exploring this kind of stuff: http://demographics.virginia.edu/DotMap/

e:okay I just compared Sacramento to LA and Portland. I guess it does have something going for it.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 10, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

CopperHound posted:

e:okay I just compared Sacramento to LA and Portland. I guess it does have something going for it.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-most-diverse-cities-are-often-the-most-segregated/

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks. I'll keep tabs on Sacremento.

We're gentrifying slowly, and putting up a bit of a fight. They current Mayor is acutally invested in smart growth which is nice after like 8 years of hail marry on that stadium and not really planning around it.
My only really complaint here is that there's a little bit of everything and it's not very deep. Like there's a pretty solid 5 comics, and you'll see them everywhere. 2-3 really drat good bands with a lot of the same musicans, a few great artists, etc

I'm honestly suprised we have the title on most diverse city, I thought Stockton owned that.

Anti-Citizen fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 10, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Most integrated /diverse city. As in the white, black, asian, and latinos tend to live in the same neighborhoods and their kids attend the same schools more than any other city.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 10, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

FCKGW posted:

Also Riverside and the IE were seen as were the "poor people" lived and home maintenance wasn't as high a priority.

It wasn't until the early 2000s when the population exploded and home values really started to rise in that area. There have been a lot of flips in the last 10-15 years and those are finding their way back on the market.

Not trying to be rude, but this is 100% not true, Rancho Cucamonga/Ontario to Corona was considered to be the next Orange County in the 80s. OC was always more expensive but in the late 80s (pre-crash) you could still get an affordable house in north OC (Tustin/Anaheim).

"The IE is a degenerate dust bowl" started in the 90s on KROQ, basically.

Keep in mind the average house in CA cost 3x income in the 70s, now costs 10x income. Market is totally hosed.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Diversity and integration are absolutely different terms and I've only really come to appreciate it as an adult.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Most integrated /diverse city. As in the white, black, asian, and latinos tend to live in the same neighborhoods and their kids attend the same schools more than any other city.
I went to elementary school in the early 90s in south west Sacramento (pocket area) and my third grade yearbook picture looks like what an advertising agency would come up with for a 2018 commercial. About 40% white with the other 60% being a pretty even split of Asian, Black and Hispanic. I'm thankful for that, especially as I look at extended family members around my age who grew up in other places in the central valley.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"The IE is a degenerate dust bowl" started in the 90s on KROQ, basically.

Whoa, what? Can you elaborate? How is my favorite alternative rock station wrapped up in this?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The morning show, Kevin and Bean, riff on the IE/909 constantly. Both because of the people and the smell.

Hell, they released a Christmas Album called Christmastime in the 909 where they were drawn like hick shitfarmers.

It's also probably the limit of the KROQ transmitter since that's one of the smaller ones in L
A.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Fontanatucky!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Dire news, friends: I've recently been informed that California is broke. No details provided, just that California is broke, and that's why we have all these draconian taxes.

I need those details without having to listen to conservative ranting with associated rear end-pulls. Were we in the news recently? Is this about the deficit?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Ragnar34 posted:

Dire news, friends: I've recently been informed that California is broke. No details provided, just that California is broke, and that's why we have all these draconian taxes.

I need those details without having to listen to conservative ranting with associated rear end-pulls. Were we in the news recently? Is this about the deficit?

Trump is making his first visit to the state since getting elected. He’s visiting some border wall prototypes in San Diego, and then going to a fundraiser in Beverly Hills.

Also the racist keebler elf sued California over SB-54.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ragnar34 posted:

Were we in the news recently? Is this about the deficit?
US News and World Report released a rating of states where California finished DEAD LAST in Quality of Life and it's been getting huge traction on Fox and the usual places. http://www.businessinsider.com/california-worst-quality-of-life-2018-3?r=UK&IR=T

The QoL ranking is this weird synthetic statistic that seems to have specifically constructed so that they could generate a headline proclaiming Cali to be a hellhole and generate some clicks - can you remember ever giving a poo poo about a USN&WR survey before? Hell, were you surprised to learn that USN&WR was still in business?

To give you an idea about how contrived the metric is, Mississippi has the sixth-best QoL in the nation, Arkansas the seventh, and #1 is...North Dakota. Kansas is #16 - you know, that state with a deficit so large that schools are only open four days a week and is wracked with artificial earthquakes from uncontrolled fracking

FMguru fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 13, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I always found this types of rankings dumb because to me there's a difference between a state having a high quality of life and just merely having a lot of rich people living in it. Similar how there's a difference between a place that's "cheap" to live in and where there are just plenty of poor people/low paying jobs. I know that may not make sense, but I hope you get what I'm trying to get across.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
As has been repeated ad nauseum in this thread, Conservatives will stop at nothing to frame California as a failed state because its success is a direct refutation on everything they stand for and believe in.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FMguru posted:

To give you an idea about how contrived the metric is, Mississippi has the sixth-best QoL in the nation, Arkansas the seventh, and #1 is...North Dakota. Kansas is #16 - you know, that state with a deficit so large that schools are only open four days a week and is wracked with artificial earthquakes from uncontrolled fracking

:allears: Way to go, North Dakota! Dream big, buddy!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Speaking of conservatives poo poo-talking California, here's the latest from politoons thread superstar Ben Garisson

Here's a nice article gathering up wingnut reactions to that dumb survey and explaining the real purpose of these Hellhole California stories:
https://www.villagevoice.com/2018/03/12/california-screamin-conservatives-slam-golden-state-on-immigration-poop/

quote:

But I think there’s another reason why they beat up on California. Red states are notorious for immiserating their own citizens by blocking minimum wage hikes, demanding stingier Medicaid standards, making it easier for citizens to get killed with guns, etc.

It is fair to assume these right-wing governments expect their citizens to put up with this, not only because they are deranged by Republican hate- and fearmongering, but also because, being impoverished and insulated, these citizens have no experience of the different, less painful ways of life lived elsewhere, whether in Western Europe or in blue states here at home, and so know no better and have nothing with which to compare their treatment.

It may be that California’s obvious and well-publicized wealth and advancement is embarrassing to conservatives who want their voters to believe that the apex of human freedom and achievement is found in Fritters, Alabama, or Gopher Prairie, S.D. So they must tell their constituents that California is dirty, full of feces and Mexicans and in a state of collapse, and altogether a place they would hate to live.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I really like that the state rankings dings California both for taxing high earners and having too high income inequality so should be taxing high earners more.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Garrison's cartoons about California are egregiously, hatefully, explicitly racist.

Here's another good article about Cali if you want some fuzzy feelings: http://www.vcstar.com/story/news/2017/10/21/where-have-all-californias-republicans-gone/786177001/

Bonus Newsom quote:

quote:

Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, a commission member, has vowed to "use every power in its toolbox to ensure that not a drop of oil or gas from new offshore drilling ever makes landfall in California."

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 13, 2018

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Energy news!

quote:

On Sunday, March 4, the California Independent System Operator saw an all-time peak percentage of demand served by solar, hitting a record 49.95 percent at 12:58 p.m. That's up from the previous peak of 47.2 percent set on May 14, 2017.
That's right, for a brief moment the state generated 50% of its electrical demand from solar plants. It was under ideal conditions (middle of a bright sunny day, mild weather meaning not much heating or cooling, and a weekend). And we've only just begun to build out solar plants (and the panels just keep getting cheaper and cheaper).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

They might get more expensive again if Trump gets those tariffs on foreign made solar panels done, though.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

As has been repeated ad nauseum in this thread, Conservatives will stop at nothing to frame California as a failed state because its success is a direct refutation on everything they stand for and believe in.

It helps they have butthurt California conservatives like Victor Davis Hanson who are mad their people aren’t in charge anymore and insist that California is broke and dying. Silicon Valley doesn’t count as Real California because reasons, of course, plus the bubble will burst ANY DAY NOW.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

ProperGanderPusher posted:

It helps they have butthurt California conservatives like Victor Davis Hanson who are mad their people aren’t in charge anymore and insist that California is broke and dying. Silicon Valley doesn’t count as Real California because reasons, of course, plus the bubble will burst ANY DAY NOW.

It's insane that this state used to have really conservative politics. Remember Pete Wilson?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Forceholy posted:

It's insane that this state used to have really conservative politics. Remember Pete Wilson?

We’ve only had three Dem governors from WWII to today, and two were father and son (I think this thread pointed that out but it’s a cute bit of trivia I like to tell people). In fairness, Goodwin Knight and Earl Warren were solid Eisenhower Republicans and probably would be centrist Dems today.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

If California doesn’t pass a competent single payer plan and fix housing soon it will probably elect some idiot conservative governor in the next decade.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'd assume California's high CoL attributes to high struggling population rate more than many other states.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'd assume California's high CoL attributes to high struggling population rate more than many other states.

It sure does feel like hell with work being far from where I live and closing that gap gets harder by the year.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Housing update #3:
Visited a home last night with my wife and kids. It was bought in January, and up again for sale 99k more expensive. Obviously a flip, but I say "gently caress it." and whip out my big checklist of things to look for in flipped homes to make sure that the work isn't too shoddy. The home looks nice enough, and we send our list of questions to our realtor.

At this point I want to note that this house had just appeared hours earlier on the general realtor websites, and was not even up on Zillow yet. It literally had just gone up for sale yesterday. Our realtor called the selling agent and there was already a pending sale. This place was up for sale for eight hours before someone made an offer. How in the hell do you purchase homes here? This place wasn't even that great, the paint hadn't even dried yet in some places and all of the contractor debris was still in the yards.

There's basically no way to responsibly buy homes here. Any attempt to do due diligence before making an offer literally locks you out of grabbing that home, because someone out there is buying these things in less than a day.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A lot of those super fast offers are from "pocket listings", where the selling agent has knowledge of the property hitting the market before it's officially listed and lets their own clients know before hand to get favorable, fast closing all-cash offers. If it's a flip, it's likely a company working with a realtor to find prospective buyers weeks in advance. "I'll have a home on the market in 2 weeks that fits what you're looking for" type of stuff.

It's just general lovely realtor games. You can still get the house but multiple offers are gonna raise the price up.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Yeah people are buying homes sight unseen in San Jose. Imagine how easy it is to be a realtor right now, when lovely houses sell within days of listing 15% above the asking price. If they can actually find people willing to sell, that is.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I have a friend whose husband apparently works for the city in some capacity. What they are telling me is that a lot of these homes are being bought by people either out of state or out of country who aren't even bothering to inspect them. I'm honestly confused who would buy a flip though since I thought buying these things unseen is usually Step 1 of flipping.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Anonymous Zebra posted:

There's basically no way to responsibly buy homes here. Any attempt to do due diligence before making an offer literally locks you out of grabbing that home, because someone out there is buying these things in less than a day.
You camp RedFin and Zillow 24/7, and set alerts in the areas you're looking for. When you see a home that looks halfway desirable and doesn't have any immediate red flags (i.e. "Buyer to verify all permits and work" or "May not be permitted" or "Sold As-Is no repairs will be made by seller") you tell your realtor to put in a bid that's List/List+10k.

If you're lucky, the open house proceeds and you can look at it or the Realtor is able to get the lock code/smartkey to let you in before the masses. You make sure there aren't any painted-over fungus walls or sinkholes or missing foundation beams or cut-through joists and maybe you let your offer stand. If it goes through, you pay the $300 for a thorough home inspection and if you aren't scared off at that point, you start talking about concessions or contingencies to sale.

The idea of leisurely looking at a home is basically dead in this age.

You can look into those New Construction builds that are several condos/townhomes built at the same time. If you luck into something in your price range, you can drop into the pre-opening and tour the sample homes to get an idea of what they'll be like. The early homes will be on the cheaper side since you'll be dealing with a wait for completion/construction as the rest of the homes come up. I've seen those things start at, like $650k and by the time the Final Phase is up it's into the 850ks...

Anonymous Zebra posted:

What they are telling me is that a lot of these homes are being bought by people either out of state or out of country who aren't even bothering to inspect them.
Yeah, some of them are being thrown into the AirBnB market too.

Kind of a dumb/funny sidething: there's a ton of douchey luxe-partments around DTLA that have vaguely italian names to them (The Pierro! Orsini! Medici!). One of them infamously was burned down a few years back, creating a towering inferno that scorched the freeway and melted glass panels on the adjacent skyscrapers. Anyway, I took a look through their Yelp reviews and they are all terribly run shitholes infested with vermin, halls full of animal droppings, with insecure parking structures and a management company that screws folks out of their deposits.
It's all so deliciously LA. :patriot:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 13, 2018

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Putting an offer in on a place I ultimately rejected, cost me $450 for the general inspection, a series of other specific inspections which I'll not get into, $400 for the appraisal, and $355 escrow fee when we ejected. I can't do that to every home I potentially like. And believe me, all of these homes NEED to have questions asked before they're bought. The previous place we had to abort on had LEAD dust way above threshold in multiple rooms.

EDIT: I also don't buy the idea this is just how home buying is nowadays. Back on the East Coast I do have friends who are buying homes, not to mention my own parents who recently retired and bought a home. This degree of rush is not typical of their experiences.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 13, 2018

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Putting an offer down, and it being accepted, doesn’t mean that the deal is done. You still have the opportunity for some due dilly and price readjustment based on what you find.

Of the 9 sales over the past 5 years in the building where I live, only mine was an as-is sale. Other folks had to have random fixes happen in order to close the sale. Even if it’s as-is, you can always walk away after the inspection if you see anything you don’t like.

It seems like if you would have had to do the same thing if you had been buying that house in any other market, just the timeframe and escrow fee might have changed.

krysmopompas fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I have a friend whose husband apparently works for the city in some capacity. What they are telling me is that a lot of these homes are being bought by people either out of state or out of country who aren't even bothering to inspect them. I'm honestly confused who would buy a flip though since I thought buying these things unseen is usually Step 1 of flipping.

I don't think that's really the case in your area though. Bay Area, LA, OC, other super hot markets yeah but there's not Chinese buyers clamoring to get a piece of the Inland Empire.