Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Jason1Goff/status/784895258144288768

Welp. The schism is complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

HarveyxCosmonaut posted:

I doubt it. Too many congresspeople, senators, and governors need the whole republican base. While the base screams about RINOs I'd suspect most support their actual representative. I'd put money on Republican superdelegates in the next presidential primary. I look forward to 2020 when their base nominates a dog with Hitler's brain in it.

You leave Arowlf Setter out of this.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Evil Fluffy posted:

I prefer the reality where Clinton won in 2008 and Obama's running in 2016. Imagine the landslide Candidate Obama would've had against Trump right now. He'd have to be up 10+ points.
I've flirted with this idea as well, but ultimately rejected it. 2008 Hillary ran a pretty standard Blue Dog Blairite Third-Way bullshit campaign, and her Presidency would have reflected that. I think there's no question she'll make for a better President and better candidate now, the only question is if Obama would have been so much better in 2016 to make up for it. I'm not sure another 8 years in the Senate would have made him better, or worse.

On the other hand his Presidency does sort of feel like a waste, both because he's been less progressive than a lot of us hoped and because he's been dealing with a Congress which feels that making GBS threads on the President at any and every opportunity is more important than doing their jobs. But that was probably going to happen anyway.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Republican's dumping him now gives every die hard Trumpeteer all the ammunition they need to declare the Party as a whole to be the reason for his loss. This further drives the divide between them and the rest of the party and also allows for the narrative that Trump could have won if those Rino's hadn't turned on him when he most needed them. This is going so well.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Casimir Radon posted:

That's because everyone popped by after somebody said "Look at this retard!"

I just muted that jackass, he's not even worth paying attention to in a train wreck sort of way

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rudy leads off with a an anecdote about loving his cousin...

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Bill Mitchell is a national treasure. Can we keep him after the election is over? :allears:

Sensible Thursday posted:

Deplorable Party? Makes it hard to figure out what letter to put after their names but they've never really been about accommodating the press.

They'll probably just use a swastika, to be honest.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I love The Gregory Brothers. They're super fast on the uptake.

https://youtu.be/NuWY76X0sIQ

Also at least two of them are total dreamboats.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, is THAT what Republicans talk about? I thought it was about Hillary undermining someone who her husband may have raped.

You are meant to.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Rudy leads off with a an anecdote about loving his cousin...

"Who hasn't lusted after their own daughter? Who hasn't gotten caught on a hot mic?"

At the very least, Trump's meltdown is also dragging down Rudy Giuliani.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

remusclaw posted:

The Republican's dumping him now gives every die hard Trumpeteer all the ammunition they need to declare the Party as a whole to be the reason for his loss. This further drives the divide between them and the rest of the party and also allows for the narrative that Trump could have won if those Rino's hadn't turned on him when he most needed them. This is going so well.
On the other hand these fuckers are disavowing him and if that sticks then gently caress this gay Earth. Ayotte just last week said Trump makes a great role model for her children - now she's disavowing him? If the Dems can't hang Trump's carcass around her and every other Republican and drag their asses down into the Mariana Trench then I don't want to live on this planet anymore. No one who ever endorsed Trump is fit for public office.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Does tomorrow's debate have the potential to get higher ratings than the first? Has that ever happened?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

lfield posted:

Thought experiment: which democrat could Trump have beaten?

Martha Coakley

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I'm not sure if they still have the will or the institutional experience to make that kind of change. The voters that could have done it are fleeing the party and the leaders that could have done it lost their primaries.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

HarveyxCosmonaut posted:

I'm thinking the final October surprise is evidence of completely illegal activities. Like video evidence of Trump with underage prostitutes. Depress republican turnout so bad that Hillary and the dems can get anything they want passed for 2 years.

Donald Trump was doing business with Cuba and Iran despite sanctions, bribed Pam Bondi to drop a lawsuit against his University, and we've just had a tape of him talking about how he's been able to sexually assault women due to his fame. We already have evidence of illegal activities.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
does tomorrow's debate even happen at all at this point

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Kilroy posted:

On the other hand these fuckers are disavowing him and if that sticks then gently caress this gay Earth. Ayotte just last week said Trump makes a great role model for her children - now she's disavowing him? If the Dems can't hang Trump's carcass around her and every other Republican and drag their asses down into the Mariana Trench then I don't want to live on this planet anymore. No one who ever endorsed Trump is fit for public office.

That's the beautiful part though. Ayotte and the like still need the nastiest of the Trump supporter's, so a disavowal of Trump is a disavowal of all those people who took on Deplorable as a badge of honor.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kilroy posted:

I've flirted with this idea as well, but ultimately rejected it. 2008 Hillary ran a pretty standard Blue Dog Blairite Third-Way bullshit campaign, and her Presidency would have reflected that. I think there's no question she'll make for a better President and better candidate now, the only question is if Obama would have been so much better in 2016 to make up for it. I'm not sure another 8 years in the Senate would have made him better, or worse.

On the other hand his Presidency does sort of feel like a waste, both because he's been less progressive than a lot of us hoped and because he's been dealing with a Congress which feels that making GBS threads on the President at any and every opportunity is more important than doing their jobs. But that was probably going to happen anyway.

if clinton had won in 08 it's a lot more likely something like simpson-bowles would've passed through congress

so yeah it's likely for the best things turned out the way they did

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

bencreateddisco posted:

Yes. Trump cannot WAIT to call Hillary the real misogynist for defending rape.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

:suspense:

I don't see why they're complaining; I thought they were all about breaking up the United States' national power structures.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

So we keep hearing "worse is coming."

Why is it good for there to be worse? Donald was never going to win, and now he's really, really not ever going to win. The republican party probably won't make it out of this intact either. But if it's something really terrible, like domestic abuse of wives/children, that's just going to hurt his victims. If he's hurling insults at his base, that's just going to make it easier for them to move on to the next bigoted demagogue who crops up in 2018. If "worse" is him expressing his racism directly, it's not like that would create a rational, open-minded discussion of racism in the US.

Don't get me wrong, I think Donald Trump is human garbage in every conceivable way. But is there any real positive to more scandal, aside from the warm fuzzy we get when we see an rear end in a top hat get what they deserve? Haven't we already gotten that now?

Basically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcZzlPGnKdU

Couple of pages back, but, Downballot Voter Depression is where the good in the worse comes in. The more the field is winnowed down to the utterly unshakable core of Trumpites, the more and more the Senate and House come into play.

HarveyxCosmonaut
Jan 27, 2009

Kilroy posted:

If the Dems can't hang Trump's carcass around her and every other Republican and drag their asses down into the Mariana Trench then I don't want to live on this planet anymore. No one who ever endorsed Trump is fit for public office.

I hope this is what happens. Unfortunately the media in a few years is going to take them all at their word of "they disavowed support" when it came out Donald Trump was the person everyone knew Donald Trump truly was.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

if clinton had won in 08 it's a lot more likely something like simpson-bowles would've passed through congress

so yeah it's likely for the best things turned out the way they did
Yeah basically just based on how she ran her campaign in 2008, 2008 Hillary would have made a mediocre-to-bad (probably single-term) President. So Obama basically just held things down while the worst of the GOP burnt itself out and as usual the US is made a slightly better place in spite of white men and because of a black person.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
God drat, Guiliani is a completely classless motherfucker.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bassetking posted:

Couple of pages back, but, Downballot Voter Depression is where the good in the worse comes in. The more the field is winnowed down to the utterly unshakable core of Trumpites, the more and more the Senate and House come into play.

Some people will still vote R down ticket but there's plenty who just won't show up instead as well.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zophar posted:

That's the only other scenario, by my measure: to learn nothing and roll the dice on yet another authoritarian shitheel in 4 years, because Trumpism is fused to the party like one of those mind-controlling wasps.

That seems most likely. They analyzed the 2012 failure that warned them to avoid what became the core of Trump's campaign. They cannot bring themselves to change if they have to sacrifice in the short term.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I wonder what is going to become of the internet hate machine when Hillary wins by a huge margin and with many millions of votes. It'll be worse when third parties underperform expectations. These people are absolutely convinced that they can derail campaigns and predict the future and they are so massively wrong it will either cause it to collapse or become even more obnoxious (probably more obnoxious).

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I love how the Republicans had studies more than a decade ago about changing demographics and how they had to do some outreach among Latinos and other minority groups, and instead they went the complete opposite direction. And now they are stuck with the stark reality that their base is completely toxic to the swing voters *both* parties need to win the White House, but that they don't have a chance without their base either. They've hosed themselves in a completely irreversible way and there are no longer any good options. They just have to ride this out until they finally fade away as a meaningful political party.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lozzle posted:

Bill Mitchell is a national treasure. Can we keep him after the election is over? :allears:

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/765930476188073984

we can't, apparently

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

bencreateddisco posted:

Trump's ego is way too big to ignore it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

https://twitter.com/reidepstein/status/784898855053565952

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Well, that's one way to announce your retirement.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yes. Trump cannot WAIT to call Hillary the real misogynist for defending rape.

Trump is telegraphing his punch so obviously there's no way Clinton doesn't have a fully prepared response.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Nenonen posted:

Right on, Conan works much better for political jokes

I don't know, there's rumors of a tape showing him at a cannibalistic orgy and changing into a snake.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

lozzle posted:

Sorry but we're going to have to put him down. I know you love him but we can't let him suffer like that.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mulva posted:

I love how the Republicans had studies more than a decade ago about changing demographics and how they had to do some outreach among Latinos and other minority groups, and instead they went the complete opposite direction. And now they are stuck with the stark reality that their base is completely toxic to the swing voters *both* parties need to win the White House, but that they don't have a chance without their base either. They've hosed themselves in a completely irreversible way and there are no longer any good options. They just have to ride this out until they finally fade away as a meaningful political party.
To be fair to *shudder* the GOPe it's not like they could have done anything anyway. They basically did try to implement those strategies to the best of their ability but it's sorta hard to pull off when you're already dependent on racist shitheels to win elections.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm interested in her response because I cannot honestly think of a way to do it without sounding like you're dismissing rape I mean outside of throwing Bill under the bus

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Holy gently caress there's still four weeks left before the election.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

It's happening .gif holy poo poo. That's huge and it's a death bell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Ah, sorry.

I believe the intimidation part is all rumor?

Yes, all rumor. Broadrick claims that Hillary thanking her for her work for the campaign at a fundraiser was intimidation/acknowledgment of her being quiet. The claims of attacking other women seem to come from a private conversation Hillary had with her best friend about Lewinski after everything came out. She called her some names. Probably called Gennifer Flowers names in private, especially since Flowers was very aware Clinton was married. This is pretty normal behavior for a spouse after discovery of an affair. And despite what people say, a lot of people stay with their spouses afterwards, especially when they seek marriage counseling, which is what the Clintons did after Lewinski (as well as spiritual advice from her pastor and others).

Other than that, it's all conjuncture and hearsay by the usual suspects.

If Donald attacks Hillary tomorrow, it will be a huge mistake. He will lose even more women who have been in her shoes ... and possibly men who stayed with their wives.

Sorry if my answer was beaten- the thread is moving incredibly fast.

• Locked thread