Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

"We should jail parents for truancy even though data is limited on the reasons/root causes. Sure, most of who we are jailing are minorities and the poor for some reason, but do you really want to be soft on crime?"

"Sorry, but fighting for $15 min wage would be bad because it might hurt ~~~***JOB CREATORS***~~~. No I don't have any proof, but I do know working 2-3 jobs to stay afloat is better than having no job. Oh, your kid is having issues with school because you barely scrape by and can barely afford or even have time to cook high nutrition meals? Now they drop out or avoid school due to low performance caused by sub-standard nutrition (or possibly untreated mental health issues)? Well hope you can take time off from one of your low-wage jobs to attend these support services or you're going to jail you monster!"

Edit: loving beaten

Edit2: This is also a good read -> https://oag.ca.gov/news/press-releases/attorney-general-kamala-d-harris-releases-2016-truancy-report-demonstrating

Spoiler alert: Minorities, the poor, and specifically African American boys are the most absent and suspended. Also get a "Access Denied" page when trying to view what's supposed to be public info from the looks of it.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

JeffersonClay posted:

now let me tell you about the noble child laborer and his equally noble parents

Do you have an opinion on the continued existence of risky financial industry scams created with the aid of both R and D governments or not? Quit trying to change the subject to your faux concern for The Children dipshit.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

Where does goddamn child labor come into play here? If we don't jail people because their kids cut class, they're going to be put to work in workhouses? You're so disingenous

Someone mentioned that kids might be getting punished for working instead of going to school, probably because they weren't paying close attention and didn't realize this law doesn't include high school aged kids. So now everyone in this thread but JC loves forced child slavery, sorry for your luck.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Conversations like these really expose neoliberalism's complete inability to deal with social problems. This is because, according to neoliberals, society does not exist and a city, or state, or country is nothing but a collection of atomized individuals responding to individual incentives. Therefore if children are not going to school, it must be an individual failure on the part of the people responsible for sending the child to school: the parents. And so the theory goes, this can be resolved with positive punishment: put parents through our inhumane justice system and this will incentivize them to (somehow) get their child to school (if it does not, that's merely evidence the punishment isn't harsh enough; the theory can never be falsified). The underlying causes do not need to be examined, because it's all taken care of by the assumption of the atomic individual and his response to environmental stimulus. And even if someone does point out the correlation with poverty, well that's fine, because poverty too is an individual moral failure combined with a dearth of incentive to avoid poverty, and if we end up overwhelmingly jailing the poor for being poor so much the better because that will function as an additional incentive for them to stop being poor.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 3, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Anyhoo just to have something to talk about other than Jefferson Clay trolling this thread by """pretending""" to be an amoral sociopath:

In Trump will be good for unions :downs: news, he's making appointments to the National Labor Relations Board

quote:

As soon as this week, the Senate is likely to vote on Marvin Kaplan, the first of these two nominees. A former GOP Hill staffer, Kaplan drafted legislation—strongly supported by business lobby groups—which would have made it easier for employers to fight unionization campaigns.

Trump’s other nominee, William Emanuel, is a veteran management-side lawyer who touts his “particular expertise with laws concerning union access to the private property of employers.” He’s also filed briefs in three cases claiming that employers can force workers to waive their right to bring class actions and similar lawsuits.

quote:

Yet, while partisanship has shaped the NLRB’s decisions for quite a while, if Kaplan and Emanuel are confirmed, the Board will have a Republican majority for the first time in the post-Tea Party, take-no-prisoners era of GOP politics that began shortly after the Obamas moved into the White House.

The new majority on the board is likely to confront, and possibly reverse, a number of Obama-era decisions on important matters such as whether graduate students with significant work responsibilities should be allowed to unionize.

But the GOP’s recent approach to unions suggests that the party will not be satisfied with simply rolling back union rights to where they stood in the Bush era. Last year, the Supreme Court came within a hair of defunding many public sector unions based on an aggressive reading of the First Amendment — the suit failed only due to Justice Antonin Scalia’s death, and a similar suit is likely to prevail soon now that Neil Gorsuch occupies Scalia’s seat.

Republican governors like Scott Walker crusaded against unions in their states. Senate Republicans even attempted to shut down the NLRB entirely during the Obama presidency — an action that would have rendered much of federal labor law unenforceable — by refusing to fill vacancies on the Board.

It is likely, in other words, that the NLRB’s incoming majority will push much harder against the right to organize than even President Bush’s appointees to the Board.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4DE9fnPqpA

TL/DR: Cory Booker introduces fantastic new Marijuana bill advocating for states' rights to legalize!*

*because his biggest donors in the pharma industry are now looking into acquiring all of the smaller companies that open up in states that legalize.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Kokoro Wish posted:

TL/DR: Cory Booker introduces fantastic new Marijuana bill advocating for states' rights to legalize!*

*because his biggest donors in the pharma industry are now looking into acquiring all of the smaller companies that open up in states that legalize.

I'm shocked. SHOCKED!

Wait, no I'm not.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Anyhoo just to have something to talk about other than Jefferson Clay trolling this thread by """pretending""" to be an amoral sociopath:
Don't forget about his "pretend" scat fetish too.

Mecha Gojira posted:

I'm shocked. SHOCKED!

Wait, no I'm not.
Ever since I was a little kid I thought weed would be legalized as soon as white capital owned the trade.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

JeffersonClay posted:

Let's go to south LA tomorrow and ask "in what way is your community different from, say, Haiti, I'm curious, is that a good comparison for me to be making?" and see how it goes.
Ok, go do this and report back. If you're just posting nonsense, just post "I'm an idiot and put me ignore" and I'll do that. Just please pick one.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twodot posted:

Ok, go do this and report back. If you're just posting nonsense, just post "I'm an idiot and put me ignore" and I'll do that. Just please pick one.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
gently caress, I had to click the link to make sure that was a loving real thing he posted.

I sincerely thought you just threw that together as a joke.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nope, joke's on yall. He doesn't need to ask, he can channel the thoughts of people from photos of downtown LA and translate their life story into MSPaint color-coding.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Mods move this thread to Helldump so it can flourish where it belongs please, thank you

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3wEc9uxKZI

A group called The Yes Men, basically hung the DNC out in the open when one of them managed get into Politicon masquerading as a DNC representative.

Now the DNC basically has to say "Yeah, we don't stand for any of what he said".

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 3, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

VitalSigns posted:

Nope, joke's on yall. He doesn't need to ask, he can channel the thoughts of people from photos of downtown LA and translate their life story into MSPaint color-coding.

I particularly like the implied idea that the homeless would benefit from lower wages, because it was clearly the overabundance of wealth in society that got them into their mess.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kokoro Wish posted:

A group called The Yes Men, basically hung the DNC out in the open when one of them managed get into Politicon masquerading as a DNC representative.

Now the DNC basically has to say "Yeah, we don't stand for any of what he said".

Amazing, how can the organizers be so clueless as to not recognize possibly the most famous political trolls in the world, and allow them to participate in their event.

Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Your own version of the Chasers?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Clearly, sending (black) parents to jail for having out-of-control (black) kids is the sort of thing you do in order to help them develop a non-criminal culture.

That explains JC's position on this and I guess it explains the 600 or so posts ITT since this afternoon or whatever, but I'm sure as hell not going back to check.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Kilroy posted:

Clearly, sending (black) parents to jail for having out-of-control (black) kids is the sort of thing you do in order to help them develop a non-criminal culture.

That explains JC's position on this and I guess it explains the 600 or so posts ITT since this afternoon or whatever, but I'm sure as hell not going back to check.

No, you basically nailed it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm suddenly becoming a fan of inquisitorial identity politics when it's turned out to be an incredibly useful tool to discredit liberal centrists, since they're seemingly all flaming hypocrites who refuse to take responsibility for their actions.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Kokoro Wish posted:

Imagine being one of those people in the audience, hearing this and finding reason for hope and possibility.

God that's depressing.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Trabisnikof posted:

She certainly could have reduced the number of prison slaves in California if she had wanted to do so. It seems insane to me to think it is fine to keep adding thousands of people into slavery but somehow stopping a few people from exiting slavery is much much worse.

Asking for a candidate that has never taken actions that led fellow humans into slavery isn't asking for perfection is it?

There's a distinction between charging people with offences punishable with time in prison, vs specifically arguing that people should not be released from prison since the state would then lose their forced labour contribution. In the first case, slavery is a side-effect, in the latter it's the whole point.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Ornedan posted:

There's a distinction between charging people with offences punishable with time in prison, vs specifically arguing that people should not be released from prison since the state would then lose their forced labour contribution. In the first case, slavery is a side-effect, in the latter it's the whole point.

he wasn't arguing in good faith. he wanted to call me centrist cause he and yronic are really butthurt about that. he doesn't care about anything he was arguing for

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Kokoro Wish posted:

Holy poo poo lmao

Seems like this kinda went under the radar. Was uploaded a few days ago and I'm just now hearing about it.

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 3, 2017

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

Kokoro Wish posted:

This is the most amazing thing I've seen all week.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Kokoro Wish posted:

:getin:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kokoro Wish posted:

I wonder how many more times this has to happen before the usual suspects come out to complain about people torpedoing Democrats from the left since the status quo platform is impossible to change despite being unpopular.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

That video is such a great pallet cleanser. I'm only a few minutes in and it's already fantastic.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's kind of a bummer when the DNC has to come out and sheepishly admit they aren't changing anything big after losing the most embarrassing election in a century.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

he wasn't arguing in good faith. he wanted to call me centrist cause he and yronic are really butthurt about that. he doesn't care about anything he was arguing for

When I think of arguing in good faith I definitely think of this thread.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Radish posted:

It's kind of a bummer when the DNC has to come out and sheepishly admit they aren't changing anything big after losing the most embarrassing election in a century.

It takes a certain amount of self-awareness to become embarrassed and even more so to make a change.

Office Pig posted:

Imagine being one of those people in the audience, hearing this and finding reason for hope and possibility.

God that's depressing.

The DNC: Everything you hold dear is a loving joke to us. Make sure you vote!

Egg Moron fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 3, 2017

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

I wish that my politics could be legitimately called centrist. That would mean the far right would be arguing that we need to keep Capitalism small and regulated enough to drown it in the bath tub and the far left would be pushing legislation to dismantle all unnecessary layers of hierarchy. I think that would be real loving dope.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Iron Twinkie posted:

I wish that my politics could be legitimately called centrist. That would mean the far right would be arguing that we need to keep Capitalism small and regulated enough to drown it in the bath tub and the far left would be pushing legislation to dismantle all unnecessary layers of hierarchy. I think that would be real loving dope.

:agreed:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Kokoro Wish posted:

:kiss:

Edit: this isn’t c-spam. I love this so much. Are there any DNC reactions or are they just ignoring it?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Iron Twinkie posted:

"I want to shrink the market down to the size where I can drown it in a bath tub."

A party like that would produce a nice equilibrium

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Kokoro Wish posted:

this made my day, thank you!

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kokoro Wish posted:

I think this is analysis is cynical in the wrong way. The democrats can be against the bad things now that they're out of power again; see how they pretended to be against war in 2006/08, or see how they pretend to be for single payer now. Booker probably knows that this will have no chance of passing but will earn him support from the base, particularly in the primary if he chooses to run, which admittedly is smarter than promising them nothing on the basis that you're not Trump

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Razputeen posted:

I think this is analysis is cynical in the wrong way. The democrats can be against the bad things now that they're out of power again; see how they pretended to be against war in 2006/08, or see how they pretend to be for single payer now. Booker probably knows that this will have no chance of passing but will earn him support from the base, particularly in the primary if he chooses to run, which admittedly is smarter than promising them nothing on the basis that you're not Trump

see also cali dems passing singlepayer a dozen times while schwarzenegger was gov, but now they block singlepayer bills now that they have super majorities and the gov

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Razputeen posted:

It worked for Trudeau. :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Razputeen posted:

I hate this thread for a lot of reasons, but that its made me aware of Single Issue Weed Voters is in the top... five? idk. i don't like thinking about it, really.

• Locked thread