Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lunethex posted:

I don't really understand why someone will buy a server and promptly host only ONE map to play. To me playing on a server not taking full advantage of the game's map set is griefing yourself. Then again, they do with with Call of Duty and every iteration of Nuketown for some reason. Pubbies in COD have even less attention span than Battlefield players though, so they want the smallest possible maps and people to shoot ASAP.

You've never heard of 24/7 Dust or 24/7 Avalanche servers? Some people really like a certain map and want to play it all the time or whenever they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cojawfee posted:

You've never heard of 24/7 Dust or 24/7 Avalanche servers? Some people really like a certain map and want to play it all the time or whenever they want.

It seems like every game with multiple maps has it's own de_dust or ctf_2fort.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

When I was a kid I used to play the hell out of 24 hour Wake Island in BF1942, and that's because Wake Island is rad as hell.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Ariong posted:

It seems like every game with multiple maps has it's own de_dust or ctf_2fort.

24/7 de_dust servers are evil, I got so used to that loving map I could navigate it and get kills while blinded by flashbangs, and I'm not even good at CS(I can normally hold a 1:1 K/D, but not much better).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lunethex posted:

I don't really understand why someone will buy a server and promptly host only ONE map to play. To me playing on a server not taking full advantage of the game's map set is griefing yourself. Then again, they do this with Call of Duty and every iteration of Nuketown for some reason. Pubbies in COD have even less attention span than Battlefield players though, so they want the smallest possible maps and people to shoot ASAP.

My friend complains all the time about how he plays Domination or Demolition in Black Ops 2 and literally nobody ever is trying to cap the points. Makes you wonder why they even have multiple game modes if everyone just treats it like deathmatch.
Nuketown is invariably because it's such a dense map that you can get a higher score/minute on it and CoD has such a ridiculous levelling system that unless you straight up hack it you'll be grinding epeen levels for months. Plus CoD is already fast-paced compared to Battlefield, and Nuketown and other similar small flat maps pump it further up into Quake-pace territory.

CoD has way too many game modes, but the issues with objective game modes are largely inherent to the design. The objectives are always in places that are easier to defend than take, of course, so taking an objective generally means putting yourself in a meatgrinder, which means losing out on your killstreaks, which means your k/d ratio goes down, which means you're objectively poo poo in the eyes of everyone playing because that's all that matters to them. The only reason they don't play Deathmatch instead is because they're actually pretty poo poo and need the objectives to give them easy campable kills.

CoD doesn't reward teamwork, so nobody plays in a team. I've seriously had people announce "I win" based entirely on their k/d ratio despite actually being third on their scoreboard and their team losing because nobody planted a bomb.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Ghostlight posted:

Nuketown is invariably because it's such a dense map that you can get a higher score/minute on it and CoD has such a ridiculous levelling system that unless you straight up hack it you'll be grinding epeen levels for months. Plus CoD is already fast-paced compared to Battlefield, and Nuketown and other similar small flat maps pump it further up into Quake-pace territory.

CoD has way too many game modes, but the issues with objective game modes are largely inherent to the design. The objectives are always in places that are easier to defend than take, of course, so taking an objective generally means putting yourself in a meatgrinder, which means losing out on your killstreaks, which means your k/d ratio goes down, which means you're objectively poo poo in the eyes of everyone playing because that's all that matters to them. The only reason they don't play Deathmatch instead is because they're actually pretty poo poo and need the objectives to give them easy campable kills.

CoD doesn't reward teamwork, so nobody plays in a team. I've seriously had people announce "I win" based entirely on their k/d ratio despite actually being third on their scoreboard and their team losing because nobody planted a bomb.

Very well put. I showed this to my friend. Speaking of COD, and I guess barely related to griefing, but you can knife people through riot shields in Black Ops 2, by hitting the shield with the knife you can kill them. Makes sense right? Apparently this happens all the time on PS3 as far as I know. When brought up as a bug in the official forums it was said by other users "Why fix it? Nobody uses it."

Yeah I can see why nobody uses it.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 14, 2013

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

I_Socom posted:

This also works on BF3, so I'm going to repost one of my favourite videos that was posted earlier in this thread :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN4qGR1NtvI

I grinned all the way through and lost it at the finisher. Truly a thing of beauty.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I've nothing against 24/7 servers but gently caress 24/7 2fort.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Without 24/7 2fort boink would never have made his mr. jingles videos, wherein a nasally voiced 'regular' of some 24/7 2fort server gets destroyed by a renowned invite-level soldier on two occasions and has a mental breakdown in the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrQWDxuc2HI&hd=1
and the sequel (don't miss the ending) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYVPvdgHU1c&hd=1

The best part to me is seeing him use an aggressive ambush spot and still getting double airshot, that kid was truly trying his damned hardest and just could not process how he suddenly was no longer The King of 24/7 2Fort Server. All those lines of pure disbelief are adorable, just hearing him exclaim "HOW DOES HE DO THAT" or the one about how boink must be hacking because "he doesn't look, he just looks up and shoots." :saddowns:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Man, I would hate to be on the opposing team from that guy.
I've put way, way too many hours into TF2 and I'm still only a moderately good player. When I see a guy like that who's just really, really good, I feel so lame in comparison. There's no special tricks, just really good reflexes, calm nerves, and great aim. It's drat impressive.

Also I love that he upholds the tradition of calling anyone good a hacker. What the hell kind of hack does he think that guy has? Magic seeking rockets? Trajectory-prediction algorithms?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
As a bonus, here's where boink is ingloriously banned from that same server:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6TNvwFi0t4&hd=1

That admin was truly angry beyond reason. :monocle:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Lunethex posted:

I don't really understand why someone will buy a server and promptly host only ONE map to play. To me playing on a server not taking full advantage of the game's map set is griefing yourself.

To be fair, it was the Battlefield beta alpha and only one map (and on mode at that) was actually playable until like the last day.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Sereri posted:

To be fair, it was the Battlefield beta alpha and only one map (and on mode at that) was actually playable until like the last day.

I didn't know this, but mostly I'm referring to full, released games. Good to know though!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sanctum posted:

As a bonus, here's where boink is ingloriously banned from that same server:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6TNvwFi0t4&hd=1

That admin was truly angry beyond reason. :monocle:
Hahaha. The admin straight-up says "I don't care that you're not hacking. Just leave."

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Griefing COD games is easy mode, so easy in fact you can do it without meaning to, during a Free Weekend for CODMW2, I downloaded the game, joined a high population server, switched to grenade launcher and shot a dude with it. This man with a prestige rank comes fuckin' unglued over the mike about how I am a noob and to pick up a real weapon, your a fag, blah blah. So I proceeded to smile, not type or say anything, and proceeded to just use the grenade launcher the entire time. Ended up beating the man in the scoreboard to which at the end of the round I said" Hey [insert name], scoreboard. :smug:" He proceeds to almost break my ear drums with yelling and obscenities.

Why do people end up getting so pissed off about 1) A game and 2) A weapon in a game 3) A weapon which was in the previous game and did the exact same thing?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

KildarX posted:

Why do people end up getting so pissed off about 1) A game and 2) A weapon in a game 3) A weapon which was in the previous game and did the exact same thing?

Any game with some sort of thumper has this reaction, which is why of course I do the same thing as you. Rocket launchers too. Hell, some servers even ban these weapons. "They're meant for buildings and vehicles. It's not supposed to be a weapon."

(In BBC2, the RPG-7 was the first weapon I got a platinum star in, closely followed by the Beretta. My noobtube is actually quite lonely.)

Also, since when has it been "cheating" to use slugs in a shotgun? I find it to be a viable long range weapon, even against snipers. "missingname is hack, he killed me with a shotgun from across the map" to which I reply "I find your sad story to be quite fascinating."

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

KildarX posted:

Griefing COD games is easy mode, so easy in fact you can do it without meaning to, during a Free Weekend for CODMW2, I downloaded the game, joined a high population server, switched to grenade launcher and shot a dude with it. This man with a prestige rank comes fuckin' unglued over the mike about how I am a noob and to pick up a real weapon, your a fag, blah blah. So I proceeded to smile, not type or say anything, and proceeded to just use the grenade launcher the entire time. Ended up beating the man in the scoreboard to which at the end of the round I said" Hey [insert name], scoreboard. :smug:" He proceeds to almost break my ear drums with yelling and obscenities.

They're considered a cheap, overpowered weapon. For bonus rage, every time someone refers to a grenade launcher as a "noob tube" just say "I think you mean pro pipe :eng101:"

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
My Modern Warfare 2 name was "Tubes 4 Lyfe" and that's all I really need to say.

Missing Name posted:

(In BBC2, the RPG-7 was the first weapon I got a platinum star in, closely followed by the Beretta. My noobtube is actually quite lonely.)

I loved my Carl Gustav. I don't know what star I had, but it was pretty much my primary weapon.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

KildarX posted:

Uh, because grenade launchers are for noobs? Maybe you should quit being such a noob? Duh :rolleyes:

I'd love to read research about gamer psychology, but I'm pretty sure the broad outline of ragers would be "they aren't playing the way I want them to!!" and/or "I'm losing!!"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Online gaming is entirely built around a metagame that is decided by the people who play most often. Dark Souls has an aspect of the metagame involving gestures, where you must bow and allow the other person to buff once before you can approach them. Killing somebody before they finish bowing, during which they are completely vulnerable, is considered taboo.

Games with explosives generally revolve around skill-based restrictions being placed on the players, because Skilled Players use guns to kill people with headshots. An entire aspect of COD's metagame was built around SIKK 420 360 NOSCOPE HEADSHOTS. When you attempt to play that game, wherein you severely handicap yourself, anybody not playing your metagame is breaking the rules (of your metagame).

Online gaming is like playing pretend games on the playground, only you're playing a version of football where you can only hop on one leg while everybody else is diving for your single ankle when you run to the endzone by the swing sets. It isn't fair to them because they've taken for granted that their little masturbatory display of skill isn't actually part of the game--it's showing off that they're so good that they can hop one leg and still outscore the other team.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The brief time I shared with MW2 goons tubing 2/3 cap points into a smoking crater was pretty great. Knowing everyone hates you just makes it more fun.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Missing Name posted:

Also, since when has it been "cheating" to use slugs in a shotgun? I find it to be a viable long range weapon, even against snipers. "missingname is hack, he killed me with a shotgun from across the map" to which I reply "I find your sad story to be quite fascinating."

FPS games have basically trained people to believe that shotguns are basically melee weapons with a little more reach. That's why they get mad when your shotgun actually works like a real shotgun.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

death .cab for qt posted:

Online gaming is entirely built around a metagame that is decided by the people who play most often. Dark Souls has an aspect of the metagame involving gestures, where you must bow and allow the other person to buff once before you can approach them. Killing somebody before they finish bowing, during which they are completely vulnerable, is considered taboo.

Games with explosives generally revolve around skill-based restrictions being placed on the players, because Skilled Players use guns to kill people with headshots. An entire aspect of COD's metagame was built around SIKK 420 360 NOSCOPE HEADSHOTS. When you attempt to play that game, wherein you severely handicap yourself, anybody not playing your metagame is breaking the rules (of your metagame).

Online gaming is like playing pretend games on the playground, only you're playing a version of football where you can only hop on one leg while everybody else is diving for your single ankle when you run to the endzone by the swing sets. It isn't fair to them because they've taken for granted that their little masturbatory display of skill isn't actually part of the game--it's showing off that they're so good that they can hop one leg and still outscore the other team.

To put it a little more charitably (and since some people are confused), the raging pubbies think that using grenade launchers/rocket launchers/flak cannons/etc aren't simply 'noobish' but they are degenerate gameplay, they are options that drag the qualitative experience and pollute the aspects of the game that they think are fun. These players lack faith in the company's will to change the balance to favor their preferred playstyle, and so they develop a culture of shame surrounding the degenerate practices. Unless you are so autistic you got banned from YOSPOS, being shamed by the community in a multiplayer game is worse than losing any given round, and so the 'higher' game is preserved so long as people take the shaming in the community seriously.

The real miscalculation is that the people doing the shaming are homophobic misogynistic troglodytes whose social approval is about as appealing as radioactive weasel poo poo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Slugs also are usually a OHKO when they're implemented in a game, and pr0 t1er douchebags tend to hate any OHKO that isn't a headshot with a precision rifle or pistol (or local equivalent).

This isn't bad modeling, mind - shotguns loaded with slugs are basically the hardest thing to bulletproof anything against because they are loving monsters. The real solution would be to understand the possibility of facing dudes loading slugs and be more wary in close quarters, using more blind/suppressive fire from your much faster firing rifle, or a number of other things that are generally pretty doable and viable in most FPS games. But that would stop the precision headshot worship.

There are a number of dynamics that I find obnoxious in online games, but this is probably one of the dynamics I find most obnoxious. The bleating of idiots who refuse to use tools the game is offering them for their own set-in-stone play style tend to mute out other legitimate concerns because they sound like the same complaining. Battlefield 2142 had a great example of this. The Assault class's Voss Light Assault Rifle was widely considered one of the best guns in the game for its fantastic utility at varying ranges and unerring accuracy. It had a few drawbacks, but it was definitely one of the better guns in the game. People raged incessantly about how the Voss was the most overpowered thing they'd ever seen, it was ruining the game, and etc, etc, etc. They're not completely wrong (the gun WAS outstanding), but it's not like it was unbeatable. In close range it was worse than the average assault rifle and would consistently lose to engineer SMGs or the unlockable shotgun for the support class. The unlockable carbine for the Sniper class could also give it a very good match up close, and the Sniper could outrange a Voss user easily with his standard sniper rifle.

So, while yes, the Voss was powerful, probably a bit too powerful, it got the lion's share of complaining and subsequent futile tweaking while the bigger problem with 2142 went totally untreated: PK-AR rockets. And weirdly enough, they actually caused less rage than a good Voss killstreak.

The Assault class could unlock an item that allowed them to use an underslung rocket launcher that would fire rockets with a wide blast radius. They're basically the grenade launcher, with 2 big differences:
1) PK-AR rockets are self-propelled, so they go in straight lines and are much easier to aim
2) You can set the distance at which they explode manually. If it runs into something before it detonates, too bad - it fizzles out uselessly. Try again.

This sounds like the recipe for a great weapon. It allows you to clear out enemy hard points if they're being too stubborn by dialing the distance in and burying the hard point in shrapnel, after a few bumbled shots to zero in the range. The PK-AR's distinctive sound would give you time to realize what was going on and move. Or, even if you were surprised, you could count on there being a few moments after the first rocket hit you before the killing salvo came in. There's just one problem with it: If you look at a wall, and pull the PK-AR launcher up to your shoulder, it automatically sets the distance to detonation to a few meters before the wall. So instead of having this awkward time of dialing in your weapon and giving the enemies some time to realize what was going on and move, you just very abruptly heard a *chunk* and then the subsequent sharp *bangs* from the PK-ARs heralded your demise. As long as you were pointed at some cover someone was using, you would have to be dumber than a fruit fly to be stupid enough to gently caress up the kills you'd get. The PK-ARs made cover a totally pointless exercise. In a Battlefield game. Let that sink in for a moment.

But, the complaining about the PK-ARs were always overwhelmed by the utter tide of whining about the Voss, so the PK-ARs never got touched. It kills me because all they had to do was make manual distance sighting a requirement - that's literally all you had to do to make PK-ARs balanced. If someone was truly good enough to sight you in first try at that point, well gently caress it, good for them!

But it was so surreal to kill about 7-8 people in 2-3 man groups with PK-AR rockets, then follow up with 3-4 kills with a Voss and be called a 'voss fag' before anyone ever thought to call out how I was abusing the gently caress out of rockets to slaughter half of a team with no fear of reprisal. There's another discussion in here about the concept of toxic gamers, but I think that's one for another post, since this one's already pretty long.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 15, 2013

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Polka_Rapper posted:

My Modern Warfare 2 name was "Tubes 4 Lyfe" and that's all I really need to say.

I loved my Carl Gustav. I don't know what star I had, but it was pretty much my primary weapon.

The CG is too weak. I've learned to deal with the massive dropoff on the РПГ and so can use it more effectively than a sniper rifle.
Still, "rpg fag" comes up in the chat a lot. Do you know what I do? I hunt that guy down specifically with the RPG. After all, it's not hard to miss if you're right behind him and you aim at your feet. (K/D is another thing I honestly could give fewer fucks about.)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Slugs also are usually a OHKO when they're implemented in a game, and pr0 t1er douchebags tend to hate any OHKO that isn't a headshot with a precision rifle or pistol (or local equivalent).

This isn't bad modeling, mind - shotguns loaded with slugs are basically the hardest thing to bulletproof anything against because they are loving monsters. The real solution would be to understand the possibility of facing dudes loading slugs and be more wary in close quarters, using more blind/suppressive fire from your much faster firing rifle, or a number of other things that are generally pretty doable and viable in most FPS games. But that would stop the precision headshot worship.

There are a number of dynamics that I find obnoxious in online games, but this is probably one of the dynamics I find most obnoxious. The bleating of idiots who refuse to use tools the game is offering them for their own set-in-stone play style tend to mute out other legitimate concerns because they sound like the same complaining. Battlefield 2142 had a great example of this. The Assault class's Voss Light Assault Rifle was widely considered one of the best guns in the game for its fantastic utility at varying ranges and unerring accuracy. It had a few drawbacks, but it was definitely one of the better guns in the game. People raged incessantly about how the Voss was the most overpowered thing they'd ever seen, it was ruining the game, and etc, etc, etc. They're not completely wrong (the gun WAS outstanding), but it's not like it was unbeatable. In close range it was worse than the average assault rifle and would consistently lose to engineer SMGs or the unlockable shotgun for the support class. The unlockable carbine for the Sniper class could also give it a very good match up close, and the Sniper could outrange a Voss user easily with his standard sniper rifle.

So, while yes, the Voss was powerful, probably a bit too powerful, it got the lion's share of complaining and subsequent futile tweaking while the bigger problem with 2142 went totally untreated: PK-AR rockets. And weirdly enough, they actually caused less rage than a good Voss killstreak.

The Assault class could unlock an item that allowed them to use an underslung rocket launcher that would fire rockets with a wide blast radius. They're basically the grenade launcher, with 2 big differences:
1) PK-AR rockets are self-propelled, so they go in straight lines and are much easier to aim
2) You can set the distance at which they explode manually. If it runs into something before it detonates, too bad - it fizzles out uselessly. Try again.

This sounds like the recipe for a great weapon. It allows you to clear out enemy hard points if they're being too stubborn by dialing the distance in and burying the hard point in shrapnel, after a few bumbled shots to zero in the range. The PK-AR's distinctive sound would give you time to realize what was going on and move. Or, even if you were surprised, you could count on there being a few moments after the first rocket hit you before the killing salvo came in. There's just one problem with it: If you look at a wall, and pull the PK-AR launcher up to your shoulder, it automatically sets the distance to detonation to a few meters before the wall. So instead of having this awkward time of dialing in your weapon and giving the enemies some time to realize what was going on and move, you just very abruptly heard a *chunk* and then the subsequent sharp *bangs* from the PK-ARs heralded your demise. As long as you were pointed at some cover someone was using, you would have to be dumber than a fruit fly to be stupid enough to gently caress up the kills you'd get. The PK-ARs made cover a totally pointless exercise. In a Battlefield game. Let that sink in for a moment.

But, the complaining about the PK-ARs were always overwhelmed by the utter tide of whining about the Voss, so the PK-ARs never got touched. It kills me because all they had to do was make manual distance sighting a requirement - that's literally all you had to do to make PK-ARs balanced. If someone was truly good enough to sight you in first try at that point, well gently caress it, good for them!

But it was so surreal to kill about 7-8 people in 2-3 man groups with PK-AR rockets, then follow up with 3-4 kills with a Voss and be called a 'voss fag' before anyone ever thought to call out how I was abusing the gently caress out of rockets to slaughter half of a team with no fear of reprisal. There's another discussion in here about the concept of toxic gamers, but I think that's one for another post, since this one's already pretty long.

Voss with underslung rockets and a defib for your other unlockable was literally the go-to kit for anything and everything always. It was so fun, too. The underslung rocket launcher is legitimately one of my favorite guns in any game ever, although I definitely agree they needed to remove either the easy range finding or lower the damage. It was so simple to just scope in on cover, scroll your mouse wheel up one click, and fire a rocket for an instant kill. I'd honestly rather have the damage lowered so you have to set there and fire 2-3 rockets to legitimately dig people out of cover, otherwise it still wrecks balance in high skill play.

Also the Voss was legitimately overpowered. Not that I hated on it (I used it exactly because it was overpowered) but I would have genuinely liked to see it get nerfed to be a CQC oriented weapon.

The real magic of BF2142 though, was playing Support. You could make Titan mode an absolute hell for the other team if you threw down an ammo box and just started slinging grenades as fast as you could - as long as no one else even looks funny at your precious murder box, you could resupply grenades as fast as you could throw them - hole up in one of the upper level Titan Core Console hallways and THROOWWWW. The lower ones, this could be dealt with cause you could bounce grenades from outside into the console and damage it without actually getting into the hallway, but the upper ones, the way the hall was setup meant you couldn't do this. I made some pubs real, real mad doing this because they were too stupid to just go take all the drat silos and win that way.

The saddest thing about Titan mode was always when servers locked the Titan movement. It was so fun to go play bumperwhales with those things.

Edit: By far the worst thing in BF2142 was pod surfing. gently caress pod surfing. It was legitimately an exploit that let you circumvent huge swaths of most maps and made a complete joke out of the majority of assault/defense maps.

Xenomorph Zero
Oct 28, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'd love to read research about gamer psychology, but I'm pretty sure the broad outline of ragers would be "they aren't playing the way I want them to!!" and/or "I'm losing!!"

The Golden Rule of CoD is basically "It's awesome when I do it to you, bullshit when you do it to me."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think that boink video proved that it's all fun and games until someone is better than you. They are clearly cheating because there's no possible way to make that shot.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

death .cab for qt posted:

Can you please post some examples? I'm dying to see some.

Also on the subject of grenade launchers, the de-facto reaction is: "USE A REAL GUN!"

But he is...

Even funnier is when you DO use a real gun like an AN-94 and they still get mad because you got them from far away with it. Reaction? "USE A REAL GUN!"

What is a real gun in the world of online shooters :psyduck:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Either the riot shield or the knive, take your pick.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You have to use the worst pistol while a the true MLG pro gamer uses whatever gun he likes. Anything else is cheating.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
You know the braindead grunts that swarm towards you and do like no damage in lovely FPS campaigns? Be one of those.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Lunethex posted:

The one that lets the other guy win, clearly. Everything else is unfair.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Xenomorph Zero posted:

The Golden Rule of CoD is basically "It's awesome when I do it to you, bullshit when you do it to me."

I like to call this image "MW2 in a nutshell."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Magres posted:

The real magic of BF2142 though, was playing Support. You could make Titan mode an absolute hell for the other team if you threw down an ammo box and just started slinging grenades as fast as you could - as long as no one else even looks funny at your precious murder box, you could resupply grenades as fast as you could throw them - hole up in one of the upper level Titan Core Console hallways and THROOWWWW. The lower ones, this could be dealt with cause you could bounce grenades from outside into the console and damage it without actually getting into the hallway, but the upper ones, the way the hall was setup meant you couldn't do this. I made some pubs real, real mad doing this because they were too stupid to just go take all the drat silos and win that way.
The funnest thing I ever did on Titan maps was run at the enemy Titan the second its shields were down - I was playing Recon, my friend was playing Support. We dashed in and got RDX on both of the lower-level consoles pretty quickly, then two dudes basically did what you said - there was a Support rolling the Ganz HMG and an Assault rolling with the PK-ARs. Between the Ganz and the PKs, they had that poo poo on loving lockdown. We had probably 5-6 people on our team running in and dying like clockwork every couple of seconds.

About 5 minutes into that slaughter, I got an idea. I peeked my head out to get an idea of where they were at, and, of course, got my rear end killed. No big. I knew where they were camping now. So we went into the lower hall underneath them, and slammed a full load of RDX on the ceiling, right under where they were sitting. I ran away and hit the detonator, and the RDX clipped through the floor and shredded the gently caress out of them on the other side.

The next hour was pretty much solid accusations of me being a cheating gently caress every time they died. They just did NOT get over that.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Lunethex posted:

Can you please post some examples? I'm dying to see some.

Also on the subject of grenade launchers, the de-facto reaction is: "USE A REAL GUN!"

But he is...

Even funnier is when you DO use a real gun like an AN-94 and they still get mad because you got them from far away with it. Reaction? "USE A REAL GUN!"

My favorite kill I've ever had in Dark Souls was against some guy named "Z3rgK1ll3r." I invade him, get to line of sight of him, fire up my GFWL window and send him something like "I WILL AVENGE THE NOBLE AND HONORABLE ZERG PEOPLES" then type up but do not send a second message. I then bow, wait until he bows, then sprint up and club him to death while he's stuck in the bow animation. As soon as he dies I send the second message of "ZERG RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE."

He was kiiinda mad about getting 6pooled.

People get really mad in DaS about your choice of weapons sometimes - in particular there's a set of what are called "Dark Sorceries" that are very clearly PvP oriented spells (generally you can't cast them many times but they hit like trucks and are difficult to dodge. They're also largely pretty short range. The more PvE friendly spells are longer range, have more casts, and don't hit as hard. Overall they give you more damage for your buck, but they're just a lot less punchy). Dark Sorceries are, to be honest, kind of cheap because they're pretty much just flat better than anything else in the game, but I would be a filthy liar if I didn't have a character specifically set up to go trolling serious business Katana duelers by blapping them with Dark Sorceries then standing over their corpse shrugging over and over. A lot of them get really, REALLY mad about it.

Coolguye posted:

The funnest thing I ever did on Titan maps was run at the enemy Titan the second its shields were down - I was playing Recon, my friend was playing Support. We dashed in and got RDX on both of the lower-level consoles pretty quickly, then two dudes basically did what you said - there was a Support rolling the Ganz HMG and an Assault rolling with the PK-ARs. Between the Ganz and the PKs, they had that poo poo on loving lockdown. We had probably 5-6 people on our team running in and dying like clockwork every couple of seconds.

About 5 minutes into that slaughter, I got an idea. I peeked my head out to get an idea of where they were at, and, of course, got my rear end killed. No big. I knew where they were camping now. So we went into the lower hall underneath them, and slammed a full load of RDX on the ceiling, right under where they were sitting. I ran away and hit the detonator, and the RDX clipped through the floor and shredded the gently caress out of them on the other side.

The next hour was pretty much solid accusations of me being a cheating gently caress every time they died. They just did NOT get over that.

Hahahahhahhahahahahahah I never thought of that, that's clever :D

RDX was so fun to play with on servers with friendly fire turned off, detpack jumping to obnoxious places was great.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
The best bit about Dark Souls PvP is that you won't get players who are a much lower level than you, so you get people who are high levels and terrible. In Sen's Fortress (a relatively early area) I was able to extrapolate from xp tables that a guy was like level 100, I was level thirty, and I killed him in like 2 hits. What the gently caress was he putting the points in?

Most times I just use a big bow that does no damage but has knockback and rail turdlords and their ghost dick buddies off ledges.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I feel like this is relevant to the topic at hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqacyIaq27o

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
As a Sorceror in Dark Souls, I had no choice but to say 'gently caress etiquette' to win fights. I had no real weaponry worth a drat in a fight (my Moonlight Butterfly Horn was all well and good, but just plain useless in PvP), I had no armor or health, and all my spells were really easy to avoid.

My only hope was to fire off my Crystal Soul Spear (the strongest spell there was at least at the time, but it had very few charges and was really easy to avoid) when they started bowing. Bam, the easy mark they had just dealt twice their HP and killed them before the fight could start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Haystack posted:

I feel like this is relevant to the topic at hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqacyIaq27o

This is loving magical.

• Locked thread