Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hey are yall using the B controller style with the attack buttons on the shoulders? I just learned about this and it feels like it might be easier with everything within reach but this many hours in the game I don't think I'm going to be able to un-learn the default style. LB and RB getting swapped is really loving with me when I try it. I only ask because I read some steam guide that was like "of course change the controller layout to B" and now I feel like I'm missing out or am going to wish I switched later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Morter posted:

I can't tell you how much this upset me.

:catstare:

https://i.imgur.com/OiLolTM.mp4

That's weird, I definitely have killed something with explosive arrows on a miss. I wonder what's causing them not to work there?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

HOLY poo poo
I JUST BEAT 'THE HEIR OF NIOH' WITH THE WORST BOSS RUSH IN 5 TRIES :vince:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Is there a way to skip a ton of + levels when tempering? Skipping from +27 to +37?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Monolith. posted:

Is there a way to skip a ton of + levels when tempering? Skipping from +27 to +37?

If you soul match a lower +level item using a higher +level Ethereal item it should jump to the midpoint between them (pretty sure it's the median).

Morter posted:

I can't tell you how much this upset me.

:catstare:

https://i.imgur.com/OiLolTM.mp4

I started using these releatively recently and they're so so good. Especially if you have bonuses to damage over time. Something like that never happened to me, iirc.

itry fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 30, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Fixes for the disappearing text and 120 fps boss bug on PC just went up, among a couple other things.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fingers crossed it also undoes whatever the heck they changed that made the game so unstable for so many of us in the last patch.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Played for a while today, got no crashes or bugs whatsoever so uh, I think it's fixed?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I just realized that Mumyo's guardian spirit is Yao Bikuni, so uh, she may actually be as immortal as the player.

In legend Yao Bikuni ate the flesh of a mermaid and gained eternal youth, living for centuries before ending her own life.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Tarezax posted:

I just realized that Mumyo's guardian spirit is Yao Bikuni, so uh, she may actually be as immortal as the player.

In legend Yao Bikuni ate the flesh of a mermaid and gained eternal youth, living for centuries before ending her own life.

That would certainly explain why she's always there looking the same throughout the story.

Now to solve the mystery of the ageless smith.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
And endless procession of daughters and granddaughters, being quietly shown the door when they age out like they do for kids on Disney TV shows?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

:hmmyes:

Funny and yet horrifying

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Is there a way to do Expeditions in the underworld?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
:sweatdrop:+:ninja:

https://i.imgur.com/2jFQE0L.mp4

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I completed the story tonight with expeditions for every mission where they were possible. I did not get along with nioh 1 playing by myself but this game has been a lot of fun with multiplayer. Multiplayer is probably failing to teach me anything about how to play well since I'm tanking tons of hits with team defense buffs and can't see enemy animations behind all the particle effects and kasha wheels pingponging every which way but at least it's fun. Also, maybe multiplayer just smoothed this out, but the difficulty curve felt way better tuned than nioh 1 without any random "warrior of the west" side missions that were four times harder than anything around them.

There are a couple things they could have done to make multiplayer more polished. it's pretty weird to have 85% of the missions be coopable but then there's a couple random ones you have to do yourself. you can't see the end-of-mission text in expeditions, or the name of the character giving you a mission beforehand, which supplies a lot of the story's context. A lot of NPC dialogue in missions wouldn't play for both players at once such as nekomata or characters you can talk to, and they would only gift items to one player (usually - strangely these things would occasionally work for both of us). you can't do a couple between-mission things during multiuplayer like change appearance or visit the hidden teahouse. also, despite having an option to "allow mid-mission drop in," we found no way for the client to reconnect to the host after a network disconnect, which is awful on missions that take an hour when someone's internet is less than reliable. however, and this is no small thing, the netcode is otherwise extremely good and doesn't feel limiting in any way despite how fast-paced the game is. Great game for multiplayer.

I unexpectedly enjoyed the story quite a bit and despite being incoherent in the same way as nioh 1, where it feels like you're only being shown some of the cutscenes and need to fill in a lot of details/implications from the character directory or the text descriptions of the cutscenes themselves, it was still way more coherent than nioh 1 with far more memorable characters & some great twists. cutscenes are very well acted and animated and the english VA is solid.

I hope everyone noticed scampuss tea time on this side mission

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 5, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I hope everyone noticed scampuss tea time on this side mission

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Relevant in that it's teatime:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If I just got to the Spider Castle in Nioh, am I missing out on Nioh 2?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'd honestly say Nioh 2 is a better game than Nioh 1 at this point - like double the enemy variety, four more weapons, less confusing maps and more knobs to play with. I went back and played a couple of Nioh 1 missions and the improvements are really, really noticeable.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Strongly agree that 2 is much better than 1. Only thing I like better in Nioh 1 is the plot, everything else I think is improved in the second game. Having said that, I know one guy who likes the first game better because he doesn't like spells or ninja tools that aren't buffs, doesn't like the new weapons, doesn't like guardian spirits (though 1 had more variety in guardian spirit summon scrolls, the passives weren't interesting) and doesn't like yokai abilities so he always implies 1 is the better game.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I bailed like halfway through Nioh 1 because I hated the level design. 2 is much better.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I prefer 1's Living Weapon to 2's Yokai Shift even with all the fun poo poo you can do in the latter. I also like how easy it was to kill specific enemies by attacking a weak point and going for a ground stab when they fall to the ground compared to how they might shrug off getting stabbed by your dagger or your hulking out in yokai form off of a Burst. As a person who also prefers attacking from range, shrines automatically filling out your ammo kicks rear end and it's really dumb that they never thought of porting that back to 1.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really like that characters who are in the first game still use the old school Living Weapon instead of the Yokai Shift, and all the new characters use Yokai Shift instead. Very few Living Weapon users but it's lots of fun when one shows up in the story and you can be like "oh hey I'll be doing this all over again as William forty years from now funny how time flies!"

edit: Count me among those who liked Nioh 1's slightly less flashy parrying/riposting/grappling moves. This game has so many particle effects it's kinda hard to tell what's going on especially in the Dark Realm where it's all grayscale and oily.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 5, 2021

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just about the only thing I preferred about nioh 1 from the amount of it I played was that living weapon was a lot cooler than yokai shift aesthetically. Having your guardian pigeon fly out to do a sick pose and give you a super pigeon weapon is cooler than being an edgy half demon

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, LW is much, much cooler than Yokai Shift. In 2 Guardian Spirits feel sorta just... there.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

It also helps that I could do LW a lot more often than I can do yokai shift. And that was even before I geared towards it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Maybe I'm just using it wrong, but LW really wrecked the face of enemies whereas yokai form doesn't seen much better offensively than human form. I mostly use it as an "oh poo poo I'm about to die but the boss is nearly dead" button

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Yokai shift is actually hella powerful if you use it right, because it lets you spam yokai abilities. Easy to get confusion and/or stunlock yokai bosses with the right set of abilities.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of, I think I'm all finished up with how much Nioh 2-ing I'm gonna do so I should post the shift :words: follow-up if anyone cares about some more of the mechanical deets:

Recap: when you activate, your Amrita gauge drops to 80/100. If you stand still the gauge will slowly tick down 1% at a time. Dodge, block, light attack, strong attack, getting hit all drain the gauge. Absorbing amrita can recharge the gauge up to 80/100. Moving, sprinting, using yokai abilities, or items (incl. ninjitsu/magic) do not use any gauge. The not-obvious thing to do with shifting is your yokai abilities charge independently while in shift so the idea is to use attacks to charge up the abilities and spam those, and the yokai abilities will release big amrita chunks to refill the shift gauge.

The biggie is you can recharge the meter, but compared to Nioh 1 they nerfed the poo poo out of it and judging from build videos posted a year ago I'm guessing patches nerfed it more. There seems to be a 30 second timer that starts when you activate where you can recharge the meter by absorbing amrita, but after that the recharge almost or fully stops. As in when you first activate you spend down to 50 gauge doing attacks to charge yokai abilities, land a couple yokai attacks, and boom you're back at 80 easy. But 30 seconds later you do a single charge attack taking you from 50 to 45 gauge, land all 3 yokai moves, and you'll stay at 45 gauge. It's really annoying to test everything cause you can't do it in the dojo and there are so many moving parts, but I spent a bunch of time testing and am pretty confident Extended Yokai Shift, Pleides, etc. none of it has any impact on that ~30s recharge cap. So what do the related stats and buffs do? Well mostly they suck.

Extended yokai shift: if you stand still in shift the gauge will slowly deplete. Stacking extended shift will make it tick slower, e.g. no equipment your shift may last 1:30 and with +extended gear have it last 2:15. The stat effectively doesn't matter cause so much other stuff costs so much more meter than that idle tick does and the important part for keeping it going is what's happening around that 30 second mark not at lol 2 minutes.

Amrita gauge charge, Pleides, Extraction: For doing the initial gauge charge so you can shift, again see my last post, Saorseiaisea equipped as your secondary spirit with the wallguy core, get some anima, use a GS talisman to get the super Pleides buff that spirit gives and go land all 3 hits of the wallguy core attack and boom your gauge is filled. This costs you a handful of Omnyo slots for the talismans and whatever nearly useless other stat you were getting from your other secondary spirit, so it both costs less and charges faster than any other options. For once you're in shift similar thing, using yokai abilities releases huge amrita balls that count for way more gauge than anything else. Using the abilities it's really easy to get maximum gauge charge (*note bigger hitting attacks aka the good ones you want to use in shift are better about that, like I tried doing all ranged abilities to be a gundam but those seemed to not generate enough amrita to stay meter neutral, but I also may not have had my +anima/ability charge gear yet so dunno for sure), so there's no point in spending slots on anything else. Especially since once you hit that 30 second recharge cap then the big Nioh 1 style Pleides+Extraction+GaugeCharge% setup really isn't doing jack. The only good case I really see for Extraction in this game is for like stacking life on amrita absorb.

Efficient Yokai Abilities is only a refund on killing an enemy with the ability, nearly useless.
Yokai Ability Charge, Yokai Ability Damage, and Anima generation% are great.

If you can get past the initial git gud hump of safely activating, using Phantom charge attacks to build yokai abiliites, and alternating the charge attack and good abilities to dunk on enemies, then getting as much gauge charge as will matter is not a problem. Name of the game is then avoiding losing gauge. Anima/ability charge boosts really shine here and are where you want to use your gear slots. Stacking those is the difference in spending 5% gauge on one charge attack to then use your free yokai attacks, vs. having to spend 15% gauge on multiple attacks to charge up your free abilities. Dodging, blocking, and taking damage are the other big ways you lose meter so avoiding those with stunlocking and if you wanna spend the slots Protection and maybe Steel talismans. Magic and Ninjitsu don't cost gauge too so don't sleep on those while shifted. The magic talisman that pews out a thing to drain anima to you is really neat too you can pop one of those at the start of shift to safely charge all your abilities and get the loop going. I tried the axe buff to reduce ki usage on attacks and while it does work, it's after you hit the 30s recharge cap that ki usage matters and the buff will be over by then. Allegedly the minus ki usage in <stance> kind of stuff applies for when in shift too but I was burning out on testing by then and didn't try it. Trying real hard to be as full gauge as you can when that 30s recharge cap kicks is a big part too in how long you can keep the whole shift going.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 5, 2021

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
PS why do I keep saying Phantom? It's the only viable one imo for actually flexing in shift. Brute charge attack is too slow of an animation, if you try and weave the charge attack with yokai abilities you will get hit which means bye meter, and dodging in brute seems to cost a LOT. It looks cool so a shame. Feral just sucks for it, I dunno if the charge attack even stuns and it also doesn't charge yokai abilities for crap. Phantom charge attack is fast enough to weave and maintain stunlock, is ranged and safer, dodge doesn't use much meter, and I wanna say the "anima bonus on ranged" on all phantoms counts for the charge attack which means faster yokai ability charging which is one of the most important parts of extending shifts.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

teh_Broseph posted:

It's the only viable one imo for actually flexing in shift

If you're trying to do cool shift stuff with brute, your breakdown misses a couple big things. For brute, you're not really meant to dodge. Brute has a sort of parry attack, and you use it to interrupt big attacks from enemies that aren't stuff you'd use burst counter on. Basically if you're using brute and having to dodge, you're doing it wrong. That counterattack wrecks ki, and grapples give you a shitload of meter back. I agree with your breakdown of the base charge attacks, but I think it's an incomplete breakdown of how to make it work in practice. One of the big things about grapples is that they prevent your shift from ending, which means you can be at zero shift ki but in mid grapple, and you can use the grapple animation to have some time for nearby amrita to come to you.

I think feral probably also has some cheesy ways to gently caress people up but I don't have enough experience outside of brute to say how to get that done.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

signalnoise posted:

If you're trying to do cool shift stuff with brute, your breakdown misses a couple big things. For brute, you're not really meant to dodge. Brute has a sort of parry attack, and you use it to interrupt big attacks from enemies that aren't stuff you'd use burst counter on. Basically if you're using brute and having to dodge, you're doing it wrong. That counterattack wrecks ki, and grapples give you a shitload of meter back. I agree with your breakdown of the base charge attacks, but I think it's an incomplete breakdown of how to make it work in practice. One of the big things about grapples is that they prevent your shift from ending, which means you can be at zero shift ki but in mid grapple, and you can use the grapple animation to have some time for nearby amrita to come to you.

I think feral probably also has some cheesy ways to gently caress people up but I don't have enough experience outside of brute to say how to get that done.

The Phantom charge->yokai ability weaving will stunlock bosses and do crazy ki damage cause you're spamming yokai abilities so you get lots of grapples there too. So if you're talking relying on doing parries vs relying on a nearly guaranteed safe stunlock, in practice the stunlock is the way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt-rjgd24bA Brute just can't keep this loop up reliably cause a lot of attacks come out too fast and you'll get hit, I tried and really wanted to make it work believe me. But, if you stop trying to loop (which brute isn't fast enough to do reliably) and instead wait for an attack to parry you're just asking for trouble unless you're a 100% parry rate god. Again, no matter what the meter doesn't come back after the 30s mark. You don't need grapples for time to gather amrita either, when you do charge attacks it vacuums it in and instantly charges the move a la Ninja Gaiden (or also holding R1+R2 will vacuum balls but between the charge doing it and the 30s cutoff there's hardly ever a reason to).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

will any yokai ability make a yokai grapplable if they're out of ki like that or only specific ones?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

teh_Broseph posted:

The Phantom charge->yokai ability weaving will stunlock bosses and do crazy ki damage cause you're spamming yokai abilities so you get lots of grapples there too. So if you're talking relying on doing parries vs relying on a nearly guaranteed safe stunlock, in practice the stunlock is the way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt-rjgd24bA Brute just can't keep this loop up reliably cause a lot of attacks come out too fast and you'll get hit, I tried and really wanted to make it work believe me. But, if you stop trying to loop (which brute isn't fast enough to do reliably) and instead wait for an attack to parry you're just asking for trouble unless you're a 100% parry rate god. Again, no matter what the meter doesn't come back after the 30s mark. You don't need grapples for time to gather amrita either, when you do charge attacks it vacuums it in and instantly charges the move a la Ninja Gaiden (or also holding R1+R2 will vacuum balls but between the charge doing it and the 30s cutoff there's hardly ever a reason to).

If we're talking about the full kit, then charge attacks are meaningless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-TRJmU4Y5w

I had this video on hand already, but this isn't even particularly optimized, and it's old. Your selection of yokai abilities is far more important. If you are considering the whole kit, then yes stunlock is the way to go. Brute is absolutely fast enough to loop stunlock poo poo because yokai abilities do not use ki.

edit: specifically, Brute's charge attacks are meaningless. I would still use charge attacks in phantom or feral, but brute's are meaningless. Just smack them a couple times and spam some yokai abilities.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 6, 2021

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
My hot take is that Nioh 1 is better than 2.

I don't like the yokai abilities because it's just another cooldown you spam as much as possible instead of swordfighting. Living weapon is cooler than yokai shift because you have different moves for each weapon.

Nioh 2 has way too much demon enemies, at least in the base campaign and all your parry skills are useless against them.

I dont feel like Nioh 2 is such a massive improvement in any way so these minor gripes annoy me.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

Nioh 2 has way too much demon enemies, at least in the base campaign and all your parry skills are useless against them.

Just to be sure, are you aware of the odachi yokai parry and annoyed it doesn't work on more things also, or are you thinking that no parry skills work on yokai?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

teh_Broseph posted:

Feral just sucks for it, I dunno if the charge attack even stuns and it also doesn't charge yokai abilities for crap.

I use Feral basically all the time so maybe that's why I don't like yokai shift much. I should try Phantom more I guess. I was wondering why people kept saying yokai shift let you spam your abilities when I could barely get one out ever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Feral lets you stay in Yokai Shift for everrrrrr because its attacks don't consume much of the meter. You don't build up much Anima while attacking/absorbing in Feral shift vs the others, but being able to play it like you're NOT using your super-move due to the huge duration is really cool, I like just dodging around using attacks like I'm on the normal control scheme.

jvilmi
May 29, 2004
Feral's burst counter is a fast long range dodge with a bunch of iframes that can also cancel everything and consumes no ki. Especially with something like the splitstaff, where it's biggest downsides are getting locked into long animations and ki consumption, having a "cancel dragon dance and simultaneously get out of the way and behind the enemy for zero ki" button felt pretty gamebreaking. If you're not using yokai abilities much you can pretty much just spam it as much as you want too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

signalnoise posted:

Just to be sure, are you aware of the odachi yokai parry and annoyed it doesn't work on more things also, or are you thinking that no parry skills work on yokai?

Im aware, I just wished parry skills were a lot more useful since Nioh 2 has far more demon / yokai than the first game.