Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

it's almost like one's personal preferences decide what model best suits them and there is no "best" one
:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

it's almost like one's personal preferences decide what model best suits them and there is no "best" one

No I think people are just figuring out where they're comfortable taking a hit on specs to save money. Not everybody is going to want to crack open their Deck to start replacing parts but luckily the option is there for people who do.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I don't regret spending a little more and getting the matte screen + 512GB (no screen protector, thanks), but had no issues suggesting to a friend of mine that he could grab the 64GB version and upgrading the SSD himself after I decided to open my Deck for fun.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Tiny Timbs posted:

No I think people are just figuring out where they're comfortable taking a hit on specs to save money. Not everybody is going to want to crack open their Deck to start replacing parts but luckily the option is there for people who do.

you just said no and then agreed with me

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

you just said no and then agreed with me

No, there is a best Deck and it's the most expensive one

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

you heard it here first. if you want to crack open your deck and install a 1 tb ssd you still need to buy the 512gb model because it's objectively the best one for everyone

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Definitely, because the screen quality is the best out of the three.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Tiny Timbs posted:

The flexibility of the Deck is one of the best things about it.

That there isn't a bad Deck to buy is a plus. If I had more disposable income, I'd totally have just said gently caress it and gone for the 512GB version. It's just nice to not feel gimped by the cheaper version of a piece of hardware, or not to be permanently restricted by storage sizes at the point of sale.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The 64gb owners will get the last laugh when they have more money to throw at the Steam Deck 2

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

The 64gb owners will get the last laugh when they have more money to throw at the Steam Deck 2

The enjoyment I get out of the beautiful matte screen will obviously translate to a generally better mood and more earning potential at work.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Definitely, because the screen quality is the best out of the three.

sounds like the oled switch is best!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

God, I wish I could have that screen on the Deck.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I don't think there's any objectively-best model but the conversation is helpful since it helps inform folks with their purchasing decisions.

I preordered the 256 GB model back when we had no idea of the availability or difficulty of the 64 GB eMMC replacement. If I were to buy one today I'd probably get the 64 GB model and replace the eMMC with a 1 TB NVMe SSD immediately--I often do that with laptop and stuff too. For now, though, I'm comfortable enough with the 256 GB model that I don't want to replace it and have to re-setup everything again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I bought the big boy one specifically for the better screen and also knowing I will never attempt to open it up because I am terrible at that

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I bought the big boy one specifically for the better screen and also knowing I will never attempt to open it up because I am terrible at that

same

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

No, there is a best Deck and it's mine

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

RBA Starblade posted:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

njsykora posted:

I got the 256gb so Steam games can go on the SSD and shoved a 512gb SD card in for emulation stuff.

Opposite for me. It's easier to gently caress with non-Steam game installations if they're on the SSD instead of the SD card for me.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol same. Also I knew I would permanently have FFXIV installed so the tiny one was out.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Consummate Professional posted:

Lol same. Also I knew I would permanently have FFXIV installed so the tiny one was out.

I was worried about having XIV on an SD card but it's been working well. I'm sure load times would be better on an SSD.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Marginally so.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone got Mechwarrior 4 working lmao: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechwarrior/comments/yg231d/the_guide_to_mw4_mektek_on_steam_deck_is_up/

Last time I tried it on PC I ended up using a gamepad then the keyboard anyway for half the commands so I can't imagine it'd be especially controllable, but who knows

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

homeless snail posted:

Are you saying you're insane enough to map the Switch A button to the Deck A button, instead of just letting it be on the right? :yikes:

I did that for Wii U emulation :twisted:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

has anyone managed to get id's RAGE 1 running without hosed up textures on this thing? sounds like valve need to update Mesa (???) or something but not sure if this is something we can do ourselves in desktop mode ( i don't think so)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh man it took forever to get RAGE to run properly on PCs too

Embrace the megatexture

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Some people are reporting login issues locking them out of their Decks, it can't possibly lock you out if you can't connect to the login servers can it? I'm almost certain I've logged in without a network earlier

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Some people are reporting login issues locking them out of their Decks, it can't possibly lock you out if you can't connect to the login servers can it? I'm almost certain I've logged in without a network earlier

I've done it all the time.

Maybe because the deck has a network connection but can't connect to the servers its causing issues.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hmm that could be it for them, I personally haven't had an issue just thought the idea it could be that was insane lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I hope they fix up the wishlist page soon. Not only can you not sort by literally anything other than, I think rank (which is already done), but if you scroll too quickly up or down, your scroll direction gets reversed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

homeless snail posted:

Are you saying you're insane enough to map the Switch A button to the Deck A button, instead of just letting it be on the right? :yikes:

That's how I mapped mine, I hardly played much of my Switch outside of BOTW so I didn't really develop the muscle memory for Nintendo's awful layout to the point of it being second nature. If a game prompts me to press A, I'm pretty A on the device I'm using no matter what, so I had to switch (heh) the controls.

Of the Nintendo consoles I owned I spent the most time with, A was always right under your thumb (N64/GC/Wii), it was the most used button so that made sense, but then you have goofy poo poo like the SNES or Switch where it's to the right for no good reason.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

In Nintendo's defense, they've been consistent with their AB placement all the way back to 1983*. It actually makes a lot of sense if you're Japanese - they read right to left, so A is before B, and Sony used to mimic the placement until US developers started ignoring it.

With the Playstation, Circle used to be Confirm and Cross used to be Cancel, just like Nintendo AB placement - which makes way more sense from an iconography perspective. The only thing Sony got wrong was coloring - Cross should be red, and Circle should be blue, but now the coloring matches the buttons actions.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 15, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

In Nintendo's defense, they've been consistent with their AB placement all the way back to 1991. It actually makes a lot of sense if you're Japanese - they read right to left, so A is before B, and Sony used to mimic the placement until US developers started ignoring it.
83, A was on the right on the Famicom and NES also

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Welp, guess I'm done with Xenoblade 3 for now. Yuzu has crashed on the same loading screen four times in a row (did an update between the second and third, no change. Turned off my performance-boosting mods between the third and fourth, no change). Has anybody heard of some workaround for problems like this because otherwise I'm stuck actually buying this game (meh) and playing it on Switch (fine if I must) and replaying the first two chapters all over again (gently caress this part)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

loquacius posted:

Welp, guess I'm done with Xenoblade 3 for now. Yuzu has crashed on the same loading screen four times in a row (did an update between the second and third, no change. Turned off my performance-boosting mods between the third and fourth, no change). Has anybody heard of some workaround for problems like this because otherwise I'm stuck actually buying this game (meh) and playing it on Switch (fine if I must) and replaying the first two chapters all over again (gently caress this part)

Meh meh meh meh

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

loquacius posted:

Hack your Switch? Bonus points for being able to dump your carts and move your saves over to your Steam Deck easily. I'm one of those weirdos who has to buy physical Nintendo carts for my collection, but now I just keep them sealed and download them instead.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I already hacked it a little, to get Yuzu running. Maybe I'll look into further hacks, sounds worth doing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can try Ryujinx, I think its in the Discover store now. IDK I haven't played XBC3 yet but it is compatible with games differently than Yuzu.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

loquacius posted:

I didn't cut over to playing on my deck until later in the game, but when I was googling to find the settings/mods lots of posts mentioned that the Pentelas region (which is ch3 I believe) crashes when you use Vulkan and that you need to switch to OpenGL for that region specifically. Obviously a pain, but if you're still tinkering to get stuff working might be worth a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

homeless snail posted:

You can try Ryujinx, I think its in the Discover store now. IDK I haven't played XBC3 yet but it is compatible with games differently than Yuzu.
It's an option in EmuDeck too. Iirc it's not selected by default though, you have to enable it.