Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
It's not fun finding out which ones they don't work on.

Nure-onna... :argh:

Edit: One more, these are too fun (there's sound!)

https://i.imgur.com/oi0o99G.mp4

Morter fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
this osakabe fight is pure aids. i've died on it more than any other boss

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Relin posted:

It's awful, use a purity weapon and just rush down the... heads(?) ASAP. I beat it first time somehow but only just and I have no real idea how (by comparison the previous giant evil castle boss, which was also bad, killed me at least 10 times), I just kind of banged my head against it while hoping the projectiles flying at me from off camera didn't kill me before I could kill it. Basically it should be illegal for developers other than Platinum to make building sized bosses

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Relin posted:

Use a spear and do mid stance heavy attack repeatedly while just standing at the edge of the roof. You can't fall off anyway. A spear will hit the target from the edge of the roof. Use phantom as your spirit type and catch the hits when they try to whip you. Each "head" should take no more than one burst counter plus the attacks and followup. Use some big poo poo to get through the wall of hair and after you do your stabby, pull out a gun or bow for an extra hit in the eye before the eye closes again. Do not hesitate on any movement because if you move slow you're going to get hit by projectiles.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Just beat the main campaign, really enjoyed it overall - Team Ninja still seem unable to design a game that doesn't get exponentially easier towards the end but I'm kind of fond of it at this point and I expect the dlc to remedy that. Killed the last boss on my first attempt and I think that only happened with like one other boss lol

Should I go straight into the dlc on the base difficulty or go through the campaign on dream of the strong? Also do I have to pay attention to this weird stone of punishment thing?

See: the Ninja Gaidens
(Which I'm a big stan for and think everyone should play em the collection's on sale on Steam atm and omg the tonfas and kusarigama are so much cooler in NG2 than Nioh 2 :getin:)

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

re: Osakabe

Drink a Daion-jin's Sake before the fight to cut down the elemental damage. Or if you have the *stop Talismans, use those. At least use Lightningstop. Consider also the anti-paralysis pills as the big eyestalk (the one you can only hit during vuln phases) occasionally chucks a stun ball.

Don't use Shift during the vuln phase, just use your heaviest attacks on the big stalk. The best time to use it is during the first Dark Realm phase when all 4 little stalks are up at once, which should be the only time when this is the case.

There may be a bug still where if you're playing at 120 fps her attack rate is insane. If she seems too aggressive, try locking the frame rate to 60 just for this fight.

I've beaten the purple curse version of the fight multiple times for fun (would like to do the same thing to Metal Gear Excelsus Daiddara Bocchi but haven't lucked into the scroll) so there's definitely a cadence to the fight that makes it smooth. Disclaimer: I main feral and use the emergency dodge so your experience may vary.

Navaash fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 25, 2021

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pretty sure they fixed the fps bug.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i'll try the spear strategy when i'm in the mood to run through the stage again. i didn't realize the three burst counters had any differences (i was also missing 90% of the bc on the eyestalks). i've only been using the starter dog as my main all game for amrita gauge charge

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Relin posted:

i'll try the spear strategy when i'm in the mood to run through the stage again. i didn't realize the three burst counters had any differences (i was also missing 90% of the bc on the eyestalks). i've only been using the starter dog as my main all game for amrita gauge charge

Learning the feral counter (it works like Revengeance parry, basically) is a game changer, I can't use anything else now. Phantom seems OK but a bit weird

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 26, 2021

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Learning the feral counter (it works like Revengeance parry, basically) is a game changer, I can't use anything else now. Phantom seems OK but a bit weird

I feel the opposite. I miss many more counters with Feral than with Phantom. Phantom works like a classic counter/parry: 'catch' something at the right time and you'll punish it. Feral, while seeming to having a wider window, also forces motion. I've 'missed' a lot of shockwave burst attacks (wheelmonk or enki's slam attacks) because the feral moved me out of exactly being where it was going to land, followed by the actual shockwave hitting/hurting me right afterwards. That doesn't happen to me with Phantom.

Of course, one's no better than the other, it's all playstyle, but Phantom works better for my dumb head.

And my dumb-head is currently playing a light-armor odachi build, so :shepface:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

They do different things but really important to me between Feral and Phantom is what your burst counter can do for you when you don't actually need to counter something. Feral gives a ridiculous get out of jail dodge, which is absolutely necessary when playing those paper-thin builds that are always attacking. Phantom on the other hand gives you a momentary perfect guard, which has more or less utility than the dodge depending on what you're trying to do. I think also that in order to get good at using any of the burst counters, you should be using them for things other than burst. When you are more familiar with its general use, then you will be more ready to use it for the red smoke.

Then of course there's also the yokai shift itself, which is just.... I don't know, I never really figured out any of them but brute.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Then of course there's also the yokai shift itself, which is just.... I don't know, I never really figured out any of them but brute.

I wouldn't say I figured it out but I seem to have gotten pretty good at taking down the last half or so of a boss health bar with feral shift if I can get a good pattern of spamming dodge-quick attack-soul core attack?

Or sometimes I get hit twice by a spin attack or some poo poo and I lose my meter immediately.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Or sometimes I get hit twice by a spin attack or some poo poo and I lose my meter immediately.

That's the one. That's why I go brute

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

signalnoise posted:

They do different things but really important to me between Feral and Phantom is what your burst counter can do for you when you don't actually need to counter something. Feral gives a ridiculous get out of jail dodge, which is absolutely necessary when playing those paper-thin builds that are always attacking. Phantom on the other hand gives you a momentary perfect guard, which has more or less utility than the dodge depending on what you're trying to do. I think also that in order to get good at using any of the burst counters, you should be using them for things other than burst. When you are more familiar with its general use, then you will be more ready to use it for the red smoke.

If you have a use for the brute burst counter that isn't performing normal burst counters I'm all ears :v: Even for moves with lots of ending delay, I'd rather just press an actual soul core button. Maybe this is the price I pay for the easiest burst counters to hit.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Captainicus posted:

If you have a use for the brute burst counter that isn't performing normal burst counters I'm all ears :v: Even for moves with lots of ending delay, I'd rather just press an actual soul core button. Maybe this is the price I pay for the easiest burst counters to hit.

One of the really cool things about the brute burst counter is that it counts as you attacking and can be used to cover yourself after a move with heavy recovery frames, and if you aren't using mid-attack damage, then what the gently caress are you doing playing brute anyway, right? This matters less if you are going crazy anima and amrita, but if you aren't doing that, it's extremely useful in my opinion as a pretty safe "ah poo poo i dunno what's coming but it ain't good" button. If you're fighting humans, it's a great thing to keep pressure on them during your strings so you don't give them an inch.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

signalnoise posted:

then what the gently caress are you doing playing brute anyway,

BECAUSE IT'S COOL/ITS ON THE COVER :mad:

(I don't use brute but this game is great enough that even at the highest difficulties, you can express yourself however and still kick rear end)

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

signalnoise posted:

One of the really cool things about the brute burst counter is that it counts as you attacking and can be used to cover yourself after a move with heavy recovery frames, and if you aren't using mid-attack damage, then what the gently caress are you doing playing brute anyway, right? This matters less if you are going crazy anima and amrita, but if you aren't doing that, it's extremely useful in my opinion as a pretty safe "ah poo poo i dunno what's coming but it ain't good" button. If you're fighting humans, it's a great thing to keep pressure on them during your strings so you don't give them an inch.

That makes sense, I usually have cores with extra anima gain and anima - magic hit so I never really lack for anima to spend on cheap soul cores to recover from moves - I can certainly see how that would be handy if you weren't built that way

EDIT: Unrelated to that, I'n on dream of the nioh and currently have a scroll with ultimate constitution (hp quickly regenerates as long as you are above 70%). I have life recovery amrita absorption from my chest, acessory, nupeppo soul core and guardian spirit Oh. Also have the star property 'life regeneration on amrita absorbtion', heavy armor, and a soul core with life steal on yokai ability. It is hilarious to have random small hits do literally nothing as my health fills right back up, and if I drop to half, I have so many ways of filling back up and hitting the 70% threshold and healing to full. Great tanky build.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 27, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This game is cool.
I am very bad at it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

This is really bugging me: Why can't I transfer this

Edit: What's weird is that I can put in "Anima Bonus"

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

That's a very good question. My only guess is that anima charge bonus (amrita gauge) simply isn't allowed to be on weapons at all for no particular reason.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

That's horse hockey :mad:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

gently caress you, Yasha

https://i.imgur.com/ybF8mdq.mp4

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

OK I knew everyone said that NPC fights cheat on NG+ difficulties but I still wasn't prepared for some of this bullshit lmao, fairly sure the rear end in a top hat duel with the one hit kill spear attack just decided to turn off all my debuffs then armour through a yatsu-no-kami while at 0 ki before curving to the left to hit me.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

well this tate eboshi boss has had me closer to throwing a controller than I've been in 15 years or so

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

well this tate eboshi boss has had me closer to throwing a controller than I've been in 15 years or so

If you're fast with kunai, you can knock her out of the air with them when she jumps on her disappearing amrita platform poo poo. Storm kunai makes it easier by being a shotgun

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I eventually beat the fucker through attrition but I'm not even daring to look at how many times it killed me first lmao. Switching equipment around a bit helped, Dreaming Demon set seems pretty strong and I was able to equip three pieces (with the item that lowers set requirements too) combined with trying to more consistently land Confusion.

I'm wondering about how people prefer to get Confusion on bosses consistently, I did it with fire (fire familiar + Ippon hammer) and corruption from yokai weapon, but I was trying to also land lightning via lightning talisman and it was a bit difficult to proc with how fast she is - I'm using claws so I figured the speed would make it easier (claw/sg str/magic build, I know there's no synergy there lol so I'll respec if I bother playing higher difficulties). Starting to feel like a squeeze having only four magic slots, I wasn't going to drop my barrier/sloth talismans there.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 12, 2021

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

You could always practice quick swapping item menus for spells, personally I use three sets of items, one of which has buffs and two with active spells. If you've got good magic and want confusion, try the element-of-choice familiar talismans - makes orbs that orbit you that get launched on strong attacks, so you can match them with a different weapon and buildup two things at once. Do a hefty amount of element damage and even buildup a lot of debuff without being launched. I've used them with 75-100 points in magic all the way into and beyond dream of the nioh.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I finally managed to luck out and order a PS5. Don't know when it will arrive, but I was looking into continuing Nioh 2 on the PS5, until I looked in the specifics of it.

Game Revolution | Nioh 2 | How to upgrade from PS4 to PS5 remaster for free posted:

How do you upgrade Nioh 2 (PS4) to Nioh 2 Remastered (PS5)?

Nioh 2 how to upgrade from PS4 to PS5

After spending money on a new game, like Nioh 2, it can be frustrating to see an upgraded version released shortly thereafter. By offering a free upgrade, though, Sony and Team Ninja have solved that problem and kept everyone happy. But, there is still one issue — claiming the Nioh 2 PS5 upgrade isn’t as easy as it could be.
Free Nioh 2 Remastered PS5 Upgrade | How to update the PS4 version

Boot up the PlayStation 5 console.
Install the PS4 version of Nioh 2.
Digital owners can search via the Game Library or PlayStation Store.
Physical owners simply need to insert the disc and select the “Copy” option.
Once the installation is complete, navigate to the PlayStation Store via the console home screen.
Select the magnifying glass icon to use the search function.
Enter “Nioh 2 Remastered PS5 Upgrade” into the search box.
Choose “Nioh 2 Remastered (PS5 Upgrade)” from the available options.
Download and install the free update.

Those with a physical copy of Nioh 2 will need to hold onto their PS4 game disc. In order to play Nioh 2 Remastered on PS5 after claiming the free upgrade, the disc must be inserted into the console at all times.

Now that the upgrade from PS4 to PS5 is complete, Nioh 2 will appear as Nioh 2 Remastered. The PlayStation 5 version boasts improved graphics, display resolution, and FPS making it the definitive way to play. Better yet, users can retain their progress by performing a save data transfer.

Upgrading via this method doesn’t include all of the DLC as standard, unlike buying The Nioh Collection directly. All of the Nioh 2 expansions are well worth the standalone asking price, however. Check out GameRevolution’s reviews of The Tengu’s Disciple, Darkness in the Capital, and The First Samurai.

When I bought Nioh 2, I got the Collector's Edition that came with the Season Pass (which I registered). Will I still be able to access the DLC on the PS5 version, or would I have to buy it again/get the Nioh Collection?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 25, 2022

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

So I finally managed to luck out and order a PS5. Don't know when it will arrive, but I was looking into continuing Nioh 2 on the PS5, until I looked in the specifics of it.

When I bought Nioh 2, I got the Collector's Edition that came with the Season Pass (which I registered). Will I still be able to access the DLC on the PS5 version, or would I have to buy it again/get the Nioh Collection?

I think I remember having to navigate some bullshit to find the ability to purchase the free version through the store or something? Like, I think I had to have the update installed, then purchase the dlc from the links within the "purchase dlc" poo poo within the game. You know how like, you are in the map or whatever and it tries to sell you dlc? Well that would send you to the correct store page where you could get the thing for free. I think.

I think that's what I did. I remember there being some frustration but no additional money spent.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 25, 2022

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Yeah the PS5 store interface to upgrade was a little confusing but otherwise transferring the save and such was nice and easy.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

teh_Broseph posted:

See: the Ninja Gaidens
(Which I'm a big stan for and think everyone should play em the collection's on sale on Steam atm and omg the tonfas and kusarigama are so much cooler in NG2 than Nioh 2 :getin:)

Ya NG is probably one of the hardest games, especially on difficulties above normal. Imo NG has the best regular enemies in any game. On higher difficulties you have to basically abuse Izuna drop or ultimate technique spam because it gets so hard.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

signalnoise posted:

I think I remember having to navigate some bullshit to find the ability to purchase the free version through the store or something? Like, I think I had to have the update installed, then purchase the dlc from the links within the "purchase dlc" poo poo within the game. You know how like, you are in the map or whatever and it tries to sell you dlc? Well that would send you to the correct store page where you could get the thing for free. I think.

I think that's what I did. I remember there being some frustration but no additional money spent.

Cool, thanks for letting me know. Hopefully, I can pick up from where I left off without muss fuss. (though I haven't played in so long, I feel out of practice.)

Want to ask about something to keep the thread going (since the last post was in November), but I can't really think of anything to ask about in particular.

Uh...did anyone see the Nioh 2 run at AGDQ earlier this month?

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider
GDQ run was cool. It was interesting to see brute form putting in work since thats the one I hardly ever used.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

ReVerve posted:

GDQ run was cool. It was interesting to see brute form putting in work since thats the one I hardly ever used.

The trick is to not stop attacking

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Ulio posted:

Ya NG is probably one of the hardest games, especially on difficulties above normal. Imo NG has the best regular enemies in any game. On higher difficulties you have to basically abuse Izuna drop or ultimate technique spam because it gets so hard.

XYXXXY

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I need a sun wukong code for PC. Preferrably like the one from the PS4 demo

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Love that even for speedrunners, the solution to Kashin Koji is the same as everyone else: Cat Army :getin:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Morter posted:

I feel the opposite. I miss many more counters with Feral than with Phantom. Phantom works like a classic counter/parry: 'catch' something at the right time and you'll punish it. Feral, while seeming to having a wider window, also forces motion. I've 'missed' a lot of shockwave burst attacks (wheelmonk or enki's slam attacks) because the feral moved me out of exactly being where it was going to land, followed by the actual shockwave hitting/hurting me right afterwards. That doesn't happen to me with Phantom.

Of course, one's no better than the other, it's all playstyle, but Phantom works better for my dumb head.

And my dumb-head is currently playing a light-armor odachi build, so :shepface:

The advantage of Feral is, even if you botch the actual parry timing then the zoom forward tends to put you out of harm's way anyway. And Brute is an attack which, if you're close enough, even if you miss the parry then you still knock them out of whatever move they were cooking.
I suck at Phantom the most because it's the exact opposite : you either get a pitch perfect parry... or you get to suck poo poo. Doubly so when trying to counter grabs.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Kobal2 posted:

The advantage of Feral is, even if you botch the actual parry timing then the zoom forward tends to put you out of harm's way anyway. And Brute is an attack which, if you're close enough, even if you miss the parry then you still knock them out of whatever move they were cooking.
I suck at Phantom the most because it's the exact opposite : you either get a pitch perfect parry... or you get to suck poo poo. Doubly so when trying to counter grabs.

Lies! If you gently caress up the Phantom parry timing by going too soon you can still get a 100% block out of it. But yes that is frequently the least useful outcome compared to the other 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

lol

lmao

https://i.imgur.com/PJDYIsm.mp4