Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Holy poo poo, is this for real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

^^^ in the sense that someone wrote that? Yes.

Ariong posted:

More specifically, it's called that because it's a weapon that doesn't require much skill but can still get a reasonable amount of kills, thus making the perfect weapon for new people who are still learning how the game works and how the maps are laid out and stuff like that. However, once you've accumulated some skills you're better off switching to one of the higher skill weapons. It's quite good game design, giving new players an option to be reasonably effective without being so effective that they won't move on to a new strategy. However, it's that very low-skill mid-reward aspect of it that makes a lot of assholes really mad when you get "cheap" kills with it.
This is the stupidest poo poo. Like really.

Cojawfee posted:

Notice how the guy in that one video said "use a sniper rifle you human being." He thinks using a sniper rifle takes the most skill to get points with. He honestly believes that someone will look up his stats, see his points, then look at what weapon he used to get most of those points and say "Wow, all that with a sniper rifle? This guy is better than Jeff K himself!"
Everyone in CoD thinks the sniper rifle is the apex of skill because you point it at a guy at any range and pull the trigger and they die, but most of the time you only get one chance to pull that trigger. Apparently this takes a lot more skill than using a gun that can't kill in one hit, has to deal with recoil, has range limitations and requires reloading more often; one that shoots in an arc and requires you to eyeball trajectory on anything further than a few metres away; or, even one that is also a one-shot kill that doesn't have to deal with recoil or reloading but requires you to somehow get right up next to everyone else to use it.
The truth is that they all require skill to use effectively.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Sniper rifles in COD are a joke because all bullet-firing weapons are hitscan, so bullets have no travel time or anything like that where you'd actually have to have skill to snipe. If you can get your crosshair over someone with a sniper rifle, you can kill them. Sniping in COD is dumb.

Conversely, it's also why sniper rifles are garbage in BF3, since it has bullet travel/bullet drop.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Dick Burglar posted:

Man, the New Mexican Juggalo Mafia is some scary poo poo!!!

What is a juggalo? Click here to find out!

If you get tracked down by a Juggalo through your IP address, you kinda deserve whatever he dishes out.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
There does seem to be a mentality in Call of Duty players that you're apparently not allowed to use the vast majority of weapons, gadgets, perks, and attachments because they "require no skill" or are cheap or whatever. Want to know if something is on the list of dishonorable things? Do well in a match with anything that's not an SMG or assault rifle. The losing players will be very quick to inform you how bad you are at the game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really want to know where the whole "I'll trace your IP and come to your house and rape your mother" thing started. I'm glad they know enough to know an IP is a unique identifier that shows who someone is on the internet, but where did they get the idea that this directly correlates to a physical address? Sure, an ISP can take an IP, the time of the incident and figure out who had it, but even many courts don't accept this as proving someone used an IP. Not to mention a juggalo in New Mexico doesn't have access to these logs. Perhaps they think they can just hack the Gibson and get a full printout of the person's name and address and mother's preference for what hole she likes to be raped in. I enjoy being threatened with info I know more about than the person referencing it.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I know it's been around for at least 11-12 years. Back in Rogue Spear on MPlayer (later GameSpy) we used to have "real gangsters" that talked just like that when we would run around with poo poo weapons just to gently caress around. There was a third-person mode that if done right would allow you to peak around corners and stuff and good players could do it while moving.

I got constantly called a cheater for that and shortly after would be followed with death threats and stuff. Also crouch+peak throwing grenades. Also surround sound for foot steps (more in R6-3). Basically anything that gives you any advantage, even as allowed by game rules, is going to have someone wanting you to die.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Dick Burglar posted:

Sniper rifles in COD are a joke because all bullet-firing weapons are hitscan, so bullets have no travel time or anything like that where you'd actually have to have skill to snipe. If you can get your crosshair over someone with a sniper rifle, you can kill them. Sniping in COD is dumb.

Conversely, it's also why sniper rifles are garbage in BF3, since it has bullet travel/bullet drop.

No, that aspect in the Battlefield games is the greatest thing, there's nothing worse than sniping a heli or a plane mid maneuver, and watching the mayhem that ensues. Also, ballistics calculation equates to literally being a "hackiing double nascar human being!"

ponzicar posted:

There does seem to be a mentality in Call of Duty players that you're apparently not allowed to use the vast majority of weapons, gadgets, perks, and attachments because they "require no skill" or are cheap or whatever. Want to know if something is on the list of dishonorable things? Do well in a match with anything that's not an SMG or assault rifle. The losing players will be very quick to inform you how bad you are at the game.

Reminds me of the "Fox v Fox Final Destination no items" bullshit that ruined the fun mentality to any of the Smash games.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mistle posted:

No, that aspect in the Battlefield games is the greatest thing, there's nothing worse than sniping a heli or a plane mid maneuver, and watching the mayhem that ensues. Also, ballistics calculation equates to literally being a "hackiing double nascar human being!"

Reminds me of the "Fox v Fox Final Destination no items" bullshit that ruined the fun mentality to any of the Smash games.

Items are fun. That sort of mentality is bullshit, and proves that the person thinking it doesn't deserve nice things. Tryhards really is a word that needed to exist, and I'm glad it does.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ponzicar posted:

The good thing is that most CoD players are fairly unanimous in how they 'tier' the weapons that are bullshit and no-skill so my favourite thing to do when someone complains about me being poo poo for using, say, an LMG ("LMG noob") is to just switch to something even worse ("Scorp human being") and so on until my noob weapons enrage them into switching to a noob weapon themselves - and they always have a loadout ready! - in an attempt to stop dying.
Then I call them out for being poo poo and instead of learning a lesson they ragequit.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

There's a wow addon called Speakinspell, which will basically yell out (or some variation of communication) whatever you want when you activate a spell. This was, I assume, made so that when you activate Bloodlust or some kind of aoe healing, you can announce it to everyone.

Anyway, one of Goon Squad's tanks has been using it recently and it's the greatest thing I've ever seen. He yells a different thing every time he uses an ability. And all of them are misspelled RP-esque interpretations of exactly what he's using.

I AM LEACHING THE LIFE FROM MY FOES!!!!
I AM SUMONING A DEAD ARMY!!!!

HWWWOOOONNNNK (battle horn)

So the chat is completely unreadable as a result because he's /yelling something every second (or less). There's an easy fix here (just take /yell out of your chat box), but that apparently is too complicated so instead the random people in the raid yell at him and try to kick him (which they can't because the majority of the raid is other members of goon squad).

He recently changed everything to Raid Warnings instead of yells, which flash on your screen and make a loud noise. If he isn't banned for it I'll be incredibly surprised.

I keep trying to take a picture but I always forget because I'm laughing so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lX-AtWquLo

Here is a video. I had to turn audio off to preserve my sanity, but every time there's a message on-screen there's an absurdly loud airhorn-esque noise. I've got like a half hour of this nonsense. This was just trash, not even a boss.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thumbtacks posted:

Here is a video. I had to turn audio off to preserve my sanity, but every time there's a message on-screen there's an absurdly loud airhorn-esque noise. I've got like a half hour of this nonsense. This was just trash, not even a boss.

Your silent video totally illuminates and explains your friend's sound-based grief. Thank you.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Hey, regarding Dark Business - does it always take place at night, and wouldn't it be in BluFor's best interests to assault OpFor right away, take the ammo truck, and do the exchange themselves?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Thumbtacks posted:

Holy crap. I had no idea that he was sending that many messages.

Blizzard needs to implement a buttbot as a summoned companion so that you can get layers of butt spam to complement the speakandspell spam.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

rotinaj posted:

Your silent video totally illuminates and explains your friend's sound-based grief. Thank you.

Yes because without the sound it's barely noticeable.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Thumbtacks posted:

Yes because without the sound it's barely noticeable.

Such excellent creativity in spamming has been ruined by your inability to mute your speakers.

Your are being mocked. Fascinating, isn't it?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Novum posted:

You'd better believe it. People have been raging over "cheapness" since before xbox live. The mentality of people like that cod juggalo guy and the behavior it leads to astonishes and amazes me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

In Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, a rifle-mounted grenade launcher is commonly referred to as a "noob tube" because you're not supposed to use it or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt7WAyT2hcI&t=19s

Most of this guy's videos suck, but goddamn the tears in this one :allears:

There should be a system where you can send videos like that to Microsoft so that they can see people are falsely sending hacking reports and get them banned.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you can prove who is talking at the time, you can send it to Microsoft and get them banned for saying they will come to your house and murder you. Because that's actually illegal.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Gorilla Salad posted:

There should be a system where you can send videos like that to Microsoft so that they can see people are falsely sending hacking reports and get them banned.

I like this statement because it's the complete opposite of what really happens. Unrelated to the current topic but, in fact, more often than not, anybody reporting hackers gets punished and the hackers continue to play unabated. Because posting screenshots/videos about people breaking the rules in game on the game forums means you're shaming them and harassing them and you are totally not warranted in getting rid of a guy making a game unplayable ASAP :smug:

This happens constantly in MMOs as far as I'm aware, probably not World of Warcraft but definitely the smaller ones. The most I've seen it is with Nexon, and they have an amazingly sordid history (that is still continuing to this day) of griefing their customers that all of their players conveniently ignore, like when DFO was still up and running and people cheated to get to a meaningless PvP rank "Gladiator," so Nexon NA in their wisdom permabanned everyone who was that rank, including legitimate players, and never looked back.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Dick Burglar posted:

At launch, BF3 bolt action sniper rifles weren't like Bad Company 2's, where if you hit someone from within 15 - 25 feet (the distance varied per gun, with the weaker bolt actions having a farther ont hit drop off), it would be a one hit kill. This let you take any sniper rifle, throw a red dot on it, and do some serious damage if you didn't feel like being the wookie in the silver mountain. In BF3 this was removed so that you could only get a one hit kill at point blank by hitting them in the head. They changed it several patches down the line so that there was a chance it would be a one hit kill, but only some of the time. :dice:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Lunethex posted:

I like this statement because it's the complete opposite of what really happens. Unrelated to the current topic but, in fact, more often than not, anybody reporting hackers gets punished and the hackers continue to play unabated. Because posting screenshots/videos about people breaking the rules in game on the game forums means you're shaming them and harassing them and you are totally not warranted in getting rid of a guy making a game unplayable ASAP :smug:

This happens constantly in MMOs as far as I'm aware, probably not World of Warcraft but definitely the smaller ones. The most I've seen it is with Nexon, and they have an amazingly sordid history (that is still continuing to this day) of griefing their customers that all of their players conveniently ignore, like when DFO was still up and running and people cheated to get to a meaningless PvP rank "Gladiator," so Nexon NA in their wisdom permabanned everyone who was that rank, including legitimate players, and never looked back.

Actually, WoW doesn't take screenshots as proof either. On the other hand, Blizzard is (usually) pretty on the ball when it comes to keeping internal logs AND dealing out punishments for people that've done stuff like idling in battlegrounds and win-trading in arena. Granted, though, they tend to do it in waves (though if it's really egregious, they're usually a lot quicker with individuals), which gives gold farmers and their ilk plenty of time to gently caress over the realm's auction house.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
The not taking screenshot as proof thing is kind of interesting as WoW watermarks screenshots with some embedded information.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Regalingualius posted:

Actually, WoW doesn't take screenshots as proof either. On the other hand, Blizzard is (usually) pretty on the ball when it comes to keeping internal logs AND dealing out punishments for people that've done stuff like idling in battlegrounds and win-trading in arena. Granted, though, they tend to do it in waves (though if it's really egregious, they're usually a lot quicker with individuals), which gives gold farmers and their ilk plenty of time to gently caress over the realm's auction house.

Most banning for hacks should happen in waves, if you ban as soon as you detect something then it's really easy for hack developers to figure out exactly how you're detecting things and to work around it.

Of course this only really matters for automated bans, manual ones should usually go through as soon as you notice and confirm that it is hacking.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Of course, and I do agree with that. Even so, it's frustrating to sometimes see obviously hacked accounts making loops around routes that have lots of crafting material nodes, though I'll gladly admit that it's been nowhere near as bad as it sometimes got to be in Cata.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Novum posted:

Iv'e read his book. It's pretty good and teached me a thing or two about beating other people in video games.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

crazysim posted:

The not taking screenshot as proof thing is kind of interesting as WoW watermarks screenshots with some embedded information.

You can use commands to output any text to your chat window in any color to make it look like anything happened.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Iv'e read his book. It's pretty good and teached me a thing or two about beating other people in video games.
Playing to Win is available for free online, it's an enjoyable read.
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

WetSpink posted:

You can use commands to output any text to your chat window in any color to make it look like anything happened.
Blizzard logs literally every chat channel, including custom private ones, though so they can easily verify that.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Ghostlight posted:

Blizzard logs literally every chat channel, including custom private ones, though so they can easily verify that.

The more I think about this the more horrifying it is.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Chocobo posted:

Playing to Win is available for free online, it's an enjoyable read.
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw

He "improved" the articles that formed the basis for the book a while back. I linked the old one because the subject matter gets better reactions as told by some 20-something who's also being an insufferable dick about it.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

David Sirlin is the embodiment of 'trolling people by playing the game better than them'.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

proof of concept posted:

You'd better believe it. People have been raging over "cheapness" since before xbox live. The mentality of people like that cod juggalo guy and the behavior it leads to astonishes and amazes me.

People have been raging about cheapness since before the internet. In the 80s and 90s you had arcade culture just like CoD internet culture now. There was nothing as satisfying as playing a fighting game like Street Fighter 2, picking a character universally thought of to be poo poo, and beating the poo poo out of people with moves they didn't know how to defend because nobody ever played against that character except when the machine controlled them. Beating all the Ken/Ryu/Chun Li tryhards with someone like Dhalsim or E. Honda was just so drat satisfying.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Drakenel posted:

I can only represent my current thought process as a series of smilies: :confused: ... :aaa: ... :stonk: ... :stonklol:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

natetimm posted:

People have been raging about cheapness since before the internet. In the 80s and 90s you had arcade culture just like CoD internet culture now. There was nothing as satisfying as playing a fighting game like Street Fighter 2, picking a character universally thought of to be poo poo, and beating the poo poo out of people with moves they didn't know how to defend because nobody ever played against that character except when the machine controlled them. Beating all the Ken/Ryu/Chun Li tryhards with someone like Dhalsim or E. Honda was just so drat satisfying.

I had a lot of fun in SFIV beating some stick-in-the-mud, wannabe-pros with Vega. For some reason they would get incredibly angry as not only is Vega a very "low-tier" character, he is also implied to be gay which cheesed them off as they were all homophobes or something. Got lots of "faggots" and couldn't stop cracking up. I didn't hang out with those guys anymore, they were clearly squares.

This was before he was buffed in SSFIV, mind.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

David Sirlin is the embodiment of 'trolling people by playing the game better than them'.

My favourite story is the one where he literally won a tournament by doing one move over and over for basically the entire final match.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

natetimm posted:

Oh believe me I remember that feeling. And it wasn't like you had to be a fighting game god to achieve it, anyone even remotely competent could pull this off fairly regularly if they wanted to. Street Fighter 2 was so popular and so prevalent that you almost couldn't avoid running into people who would repeatedly slug in their quarter, button-mash, lose, and then pitch a hissy fit about it. On the plus side, since they had to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with you at the machine, you got to witness these histrionics first hand. The downside was that, unlike people making impotent threats over the internet, particularly sore losers could actually turn and sucker-punch the person they just lost to, which definitely wasn't unheard of.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

proof of concept posted:

Oh believe me I remember that feeling. And it wasn't like you had to be a fighting game god to achieve it, anyone even remotely competent could pull this off fairly regularly if they wanted to. Street Fighter 2 was so popular and so prevalent that you almost couldn't avoid running into people who would repeatedly slug in their quarter, button-mash, lose, and then pitch a hissy fit about it. On the plus side, since they had to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with you at the machine, you got to witness these histrionics first hand. The downside was that, unlike people making impotent threats over the internet, particularly sore losers could actually turn and sucker-punch the person they just lost to, which definitely wasn't unheard of.

I may be a sick gently caress but the possibility of actual violence made it more entertaining to me. Maybe that's just rose colored glasses because all the threats now are so impotent and obviously not going to happen. Also, the opposite of being a dick/griefer in the arcade days was when a little kid put his quarter in to play you and you knew you were obviously way more skilled than them. You could beat them, show them how to do some moves, and then let them have your game. I always felt like a hero after that.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Drakenel posted:

Are you really surprised? If they need to ban somebody for inappropriate behavior, Blizzard obviously needs some way of verifying what a person said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Not only that, they're reactive with that sort of stuff; that is to say unless someone reports it, they most likely don't know any of what a person(s) said.

Still, I do NOT envy whoever lands with, say, having to read through some all of what goes on in Goldshire (WoW's cybersex hotspot). :(

• Locked thread