Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012

Started with WD40 and a credit card (see where it's smudged), decided to buy gas and see if the power washer works. So far so good but I need more WD40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dip should just peel off. I guess that got baked by the sun for a long time.

Also I just paid $1000 off the principle of my Miata loan and will do the same again next month. If I can pay it off by end of summer my insurance will drop and it won't be such a big deal anymore.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Elysium posted:

So I had my top replaced at a shop before the winter. They said to leave it up for several weeks before trying to put it down because it needed to stretch. Went through the winter with it up all the time of course, and now that it's getting warmer I've tried to put it down a few times, and it is still too tight to put back up by myself. I'm talking it's ball-bustingly-2-people-pulling-on-it-to-get-it-to-barely-latch tight. Is there any adjustment I can make? I've tried undoing the catches on windshield header but they don't seem to have much if any adjustment.

Undo the top latch by the windshield. There's a little plastic cover that will fold up and you'll see a hex cylinder. Turn it.

http://www.miata.net/garage/latch_adjust.html

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

urakawa posted:

Started with WD40 and a credit card (see where it's smudged), decided to buy gas and see if the power washer works. So far so good but I need more WD40

drat you lucked out, just a dead battery and lovely dipp job. I could have sworn that was paint, no wonder nobody else wanted it :v:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

leica posted:

drat you lucked out, just a dead battery and lovely dipp job. I could have sworn that was paint, no wonder nobody else wanted it :v:

So wait, did the PO do the Plasti Dip because there was something wrong with the original paint, or he just wanted a cheap way to make it black?

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
I'm thinking he did it to make it black on the cheap, but we'll see when it's all off.
I went to Carmax earlier today and test drove a 2005 MR2 Spyder and an 2011 NC Miata. I'm digging the engine on the NC and it got me thinking about getting an ND when they come out :v:

urakawa fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 9, 2015

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
Anybody know what part number this hose is? It's leaking water at the bottom end

Would it be this one?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
One of you lucky employed should get this in South Carolina, it's the other 02 special edition, so fully loaded:
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=573615

quote:

2002 Miata with 156xxx miles and in very good condition inside and out. Black leather interior, very well maintained and well loved. Transmission fluid, differential fluid, turret fluid, coolant and oil are all fresh. New upper and lower shift boots as well. New brakes, New rotors on the front. Everything works. I am the second owner. Make an Offer. I am only selling because I have purchased something else. PM or call xxx or xxx . Asking $4500 OBO

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

urakawa posted:

Anybody know what part number this hose is? It's leaking water at the bottom end

Would it be this one?

I tried figuring this out by looking at the "mazda miata workshop manual filetype:pdf", but wasn't quite able to figure out what the hose is connected to. the PCV?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Barnyard Protein posted:

I tried figuring this out by looking at the "mazda miata workshop manual filetype:pdf", but wasn't quite able to figure out what the hose is connected to. the PCV?

Idle air control on the intake, keeps it from freezing.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
new window crank because the passenger side was missing

plastidip removal progress

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would be so tempted to just burn a few bucks at the pay & spray car wash to see just how close you can get with a high pressure hose. Something a little more powerful than your pressure washer.

Man it's looking good. Surprised the paint is actually that nice under all that gunk.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I thought copart was all insurance/etc losses? It is around here, at least - no clean titled cars.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
DipYourCar sells a spray that is supposed to re-liquify PlastiDip, even after it's been all sun hosed like yours. Might be worth looking into it; https://www.dipyourcar.com/Dip-Dissolver-Category/

P.S. Nice find urakawa!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Maybe someone has heard of this weird issue that's hard to diagnose because it's intermittent and difficult to reproduce. It seems like, occasionally, after driving the car around normally (2005 MSM) I go to turn into a parking spot and I hear this distinctive "BARRUMPH" rubbing noise from the front end. It might only be from the driver's side, and it doesn't cause any steering wheel feedback (that I can recall.) It tends to recur if I've driven around a bit, and then fairly slowly navigate into a parking spot with a turn of the wheel. Again, it's almost impossible to force a reproduction, and I've only heard it once since pulling the car out of storage (only a couple weeks now.) Nothing like it ever happens when driving the car normally. It's one of those things that's infrequent enough that I forget about it until it rudely reappears. I'd love to get to the source of the issue and squash it for good, though.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

urakawa posted:

Would a Vinyl Zapper work? link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnplRocybbk

You might be able to borrow one if you know a guy at a sign shop or something.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012

blk posted:

I thought copart was all insurance/etc losses? It is around here, at least - no clean titled cars.

The ones near me in LA have a few clean titled cars but you're right they are mainly insurance / salvage title. There's an option you can filter to see only clean title cars that's what I used.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Maybe someone has heard of this weird issue that's hard to diagnose because it's intermittent and difficult to reproduce. It seems like, occasionally, after driving the car around normally (2005 MSM) I go to turn into a parking spot and I hear this distinctive "BARRUMPH" rubbing noise from the front end. It might only be from the driver's side, and it doesn't cause any steering wheel feedback (that I can recall.) It tends to recur if I've driven around a bit, and then fairly slowly navigate into a parking spot with a turn of the wheel. Again, it's almost impossible to force a reproduction, and I've only heard it once since pulling the car out of storage (only a couple weeks now.) Nothing like it ever happens when driving the car normally. It's one of those things that's infrequent enough that I forget about it until it rudely reappears. I'd love to get to the source of the issue and squash it for good, though.

I've had this happen in my 04 MSM, hasn't happened in a long time though so I forget under what exact conditions it would happen. What I do remember is that it'd happen after coming to a stop with the wheel turned. Someone tried to tell me it was the wheel rubbing on something, but the noise happened after the wheels had stopped turning. :iiam:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Barnyard Protein posted:

I've had this happen in my 04 MSM, hasn't happened in a long time though so I forget under what exact conditions it would happen. What I do remember is that it'd happen after coming to a stop with the wheel turned. Someone tried to tell me it was the wheel rubbing on something, but the noise happened after the wheels had stopped turning. :iiam:

Yeah, sounds like the same thing, except mine is always as it comes to a stop, but it sure seems to involve the wheel being turned (yet I can't reproduce it on demand.) It could possibly be a skidding sound, like the brake pads on the disc(s). Oh well. :iiam:

I've got another issue though: there seems to be some kind of leak in the car, in the passenger footwell. Water will soak the floormat and the carpet underneath, but I've never been able to find a source of water leaking down, i.e. every surface is dry leading down to the wet area. This occurs independently of A/C use (which I rarely use anyway) or rain; the first time I conclusively found the source of the "smell" was in the Spring, during a dry period which had neither rain nor the need for A/C, and the mat & carpet were soaked. I let the car dry out and have been keeping desiccant in there (the same kind used for boat/RV/etc. storage, and also kept in this car during Winter storage) but would also like to definitively solve this problem as well. I'll check up on the drain tubes & plugs in a little bit, but again this doesn't seem to be A/C or rain related.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Man that's a hosed up dyno plot. Before is stock, after is with a MS3. With what I have in the car I should be in the mid 140s easily.

derp.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

What's the issue here?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

TrueChaos posted:

What's the issue here?

I'm guessing the cam pullies are reversed (E at the top of the right pulley, marks on the head indicates that's the intake side.)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Geoj posted:

I'm guessing the cam pullies are reversed (E at the top of the right pulley, marks on the head indicates that's the intake side.)

This is what I thought, but not having a lot of knowledge in this area I didn't want to seem like an idiot. :downs:

rowebot44
Feb 21, 2006
It looks like the cam gears are a couple of teeth off of where they should be. The intake cam is on the left side of the picture the timing mark points below the mark by about 10 degrees.

rowebot44 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 11, 2015

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

rowebot44 posted:

It looks like the cam gears are a couple of teeth off of where they should be. The intake cam is on the left side of the picture the timing mark points below the mark by about 10 degrees.

This. The intake cam should be one tooth anti-clockwise. No idea why the exhaust cam uses I and the intake cam uses E. I blame Ford.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

How are "degrees" measured in timing gears/cam/belts?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

urakawa posted:

When I see he last picture part of me things it would look cool in a partial red and black dazzle camo.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Sadi posted:

When I see he last picture part of me things it would look cool in a partial red and black dazzle camo.

:stonk: I want to do this to my fading Montego Blue so bad right now.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

How are "degrees" measured in timing gears/cam/belts?

It should be 720/number of teeth. About 15* per tooth on a Miata.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Double posting, deal with it.

Dropping the diff on a Miata is a miserable job. Took my breaker bar, both sections of jack handle, PB blaster, heat and enough force that I was wondering if I'd pull the car off the jackstands before the breaker bar broke to get the PPF bolts out.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
So, spring is here and with it comes an issue I'd forgotten about.

Starting the car with the engine warm gives me a super-low and dippy idle. Like, wavering between an estimated 100-300 rpm. Feels like it's about to die on me. Revving it doesn't seem to help; goes right back down once I let off the gas. Driving for about 20 seconds does help, car goes back to normal--but it isn't always possible to take off right away.

I lack the car-knowledge to diagnose this, and google searches are only getting me a common but seemingly unrelated idle-dip-at-stoplights issue.

Manual 1995 with the 1.8L. Ideas?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Clean the throttle body with TB cleaner, and if you can get the idle screw out (this part is difficult) and clean inside with lots of TB cleaner and Q tips, it should solve the problem. But make sure you take the IAC valve off the throttle body first because if you get any cleaner in that you'll gently caress it all up, ask me how I know.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I went in the Miata's passenger footwell, and looked for the drain tube attached to the evaporator case. It was connected tight, but I noticed the support for the case was bubbled and rusty-looking:

Note that this is right above the floor mat, and although the wet area seems to be concentrated more on the horizontal portion (closer to the seat) I assume that something could be dripping straight down from that evaporator case, which would explain why the water/liquid doesn't appear to be coming from the sides, or the roof, etc. Again, this area is wet even without ever using the A/C, though.

Has anyone seen this before? What exactly am I dealing with here? :confused:

GP035
Feb 15, 2005

It's Clutch Time!
Pull off the black tube on the left and shove a coat hanger up into the evaporator case - that might help.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

leica posted:

Clean the throttle body with TB cleaner, and if you can get the idle screw out (this part is difficult) and clean inside with lots of TB cleaner and Q tips, it should solve the problem. But make sure you take the IAC valve off the throttle body first because if you get any cleaner in that you'll gently caress it all up, ask me how I know.

Aw, hell. I tried this last fall but did a halfassed job because the aftermarket air intake was a bitch to wrangle. Then I didn't get it seated quite right and the hood almost sawed through the aluminum pipe. Certainly didn't touch the idle screw, I'll have to look at that.

Thanks much. Now I just need to remember where I left that can of cleaner.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
Changed out the spark plugs and got more plastidip off her

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Rate of plastidip removal's getting faster. You must be getting better :)

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
That and my brother's been helping out a ton :classiclol:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Anyone have a spare red NA trunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

ONE OF Y'ALL. ONE OF Y'ALL.

Picked up a 1990 Miata with a hardtop this weekend. I'll spare you pictures because it is a stock Miata. Loving the way it handles, but the steering is a little loose on-center. The PO claims to have changed out the front shocks with "whatever from NAPA" and the rears are presumably stock. With around 78k miles, the rears are probably shot too and in need of replacing. Would it be best at this point to have it aligned, or should I inspect/replace any bushings first?