Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rubellavator posted:

I was friends with a kid who had a family like this. Actual dad went to jail and uncle took in him and his mom and sister. A few years later and they had a new more than half brother.

Its an underserved demographic for hallmark cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
But surprisingly overserved for the Hallmark channel.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (25F) friend (24M) wants me to come watch him try standup next week. I predict it will go badly.

Last month, I went to see a live standup show with my housemate. A few days later, he messaged me and my other housemate saying he'd booked a slot at an open mic night at a pub, and he'd like us to come and watch. Cool. I'm not especially close to him since he spends 99% of his time in his room but we moved in together as mutual friends of my third housemate and so I'd say we both regard each other as friends. We don't have much in common, but I try to generally be supportive and friendly as he's a sweet person and some aspects of his life aren't all that easy (depression, severe weight problem, and he's trans).

My problem is, I can't see any way that this will go well. For a start, he's just not a very funny person. Like, he regularly shares Minion memes and the kind of slightly cringe humour put out by some people in the Harry Potter and Marvel fandoms. He maybe makes an ok pun every now and then, but he's not a natural storyteller - his funny work stories always come with an air of "you had to be there". Additionally, he's sensitive and has a shaky sense of self worth, so if it goes badly or if he gets heckled I can see him going into a depressive spiral. Alternatively, if it somehow goes well, he will be unbearably braggy about it. I really don't want to catch the train home with him in either of these states.

I'm nervous about going because I have a strong sense of secondhand embarrassment: as a kid, any film or show with a plot about someone making an idiot of themselves would make me really uncomfortable to the point of anger or having to leave the room. I'm much better now, but I won't be able to enjoy the night as I'll be so anxious about him dying on stage. If he's bad, I doubt I will be able to hide my discomfort.

When he first asked I said I'd look at my diary and try to come along and support him (I also asked him if he felt resilient enough to handle it if it didn't go well and his response was "my friend is helping me with the script". Hm.) but as it gets closer, I'm really not looking forward to going. I feel really bad about trying to find a way out because I know it's really important to him and it'll mean a lot to have supporters along: while I'm not particularly close to him, I see him every day and so feel like I'm a fairly major part of his life in some ways and my absence will be noticed. I think it ties into my general guilt about not making more of an effort to reach out to him and be a supportive friend - living with him I'm fairly aware of when he's doing well and when he's not taking care of himself, and sometimes I feel like I only speak to him to ask him to stop leaving rotten food in the fridge or smoking in his room.

Do I try and discourage him from doing it, even though his closer friends seem to be encouraging him and he probably won't listen to me? Or do I just find an excuse not to go and accept that this might make him unhappy?

TL:DR: my friend has asked me to come along to an open mic where he's trying stand-up comedy. He's not very funny, I'm already dying from second-hand embarrassment, and if he sucks it will probably affect his mental health badly. Do I find an excuse or do I try harder to discourage/support him?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

(NC) A man threatened my Girlfriend (24F) with rape and my friend's (26M) life over facebook comments.

My gf posted a picture of her new haircut on Facebook and her dads neighbor kept commenting on it with suggestive inappropriate comments. I told him to stop or we would have problems. An argument ensued, and he started to antagonize me by saying things like "Im going to f (gf's name)" and "consider it done".

My friend commented telling him to f off, and he responded by saying "(friends name) im gunna find you and kill you".

I was at work when this happened and my Girlfriend calls me freaking out because shes home alone. I tell her to call the cops and I took screenshots of the conversation then rushed home.

We tell the sheriff's deputy what happened and showed him the screenshots. He basically dismisses it by saying the man could just claim his account was hacked and deny all of it. I ask about a restraining order and he says the most we could do is go to the court house and file for a no-contact order.

I dont know much about law, but it seems like this is clearly a rape and murder threat to me. However, the officer basically told us to block him on facebook and there was little else we could do. They didn't go to his house to question him.

Im not out to ruin his life or anything, but i would feel better if something was done about it. She visits her dad often and this man lives a stones throw from his house. Should i just let it go?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

bell jar posted:

it's been ten pages shut up about bosnian kid you fuckin weirdos

why do you keep bringing up bosnian kid dude. it's kind of strange and we all think you're messed up in the head now

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Rubellavator posted:

I was friends with a kid who had a family like this. Actual dad went to jail and uncle took in him and his mom and sister. A few years later and they had a new more than half brother.

Two of my dad's cousins are sister-cousins. One brother was married with a toddler and got killed in WW2. His older brother Joe's wife dropped dead of a heart attack while he was deployed. After Joe got back from the war, he eventually shacked up with his brother's widow.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My girlfriend (27F) is increasingly unhappy with my long time dream/new hobby and has given me (25M) an ultimatum.

Using a throwaway account because I know she knows my username and looks it up once in a while. I've been dating "Jenna" for 3 years, she's my first serious relationship, I can see us getting married in the future, all that good stuff. Even considering how much our relationship has been strained recently, she really is the best thing that's ever happened to me and I'd be devastated if I lost her, which is why "just break up" doesn't really seem like a viable option to me.

When I was a kid I was obsessed with movies. My dream was to one day write and direct a movie myself, and being the nerd I was I spent pretty much all my time writing screenplays and doing research on my favorite movie directors and screenplay writers. This was heavily discouraged by my family and eventually when I was 15 I was forced to give up all my hobbies related to movies when my parents threatened to cut off all support. This left me with a pretty big emotional wound, and even after I became able to financially support myself and move out after college I couldn't really bring myself to pick up screenplay writing as a hobby again. Jenna was the one who encouraged me to look into it again, as she could very clearly see my passion whenever we went out to watch movies or talked about directors, and thanks to her support I was able to reclaim my hobby. So far it's only been a year, but I write pretty fast and already have several screenplays in their fourth and fifth revisions, and I've received many very positive reviews from both friends and professionals. My quality of life has honestly soared ever since and I'm honestly so happy.

Now onto the juicy relationship drama. About half a year ago I noticed that Jenna didn't seem as enthusiastic about my screenplays as she used to be in the beginning. She's a brilliant artist herself and I very much consider her a huge part in my creative process. When I first started writing, she sometimes seemed even more involved in my stories than I was, and we used to stay up all night discussing the characters, which background scores I should use, and reviewing what I had written down so far. Now she never brought up my scripts unless I did, gave canned generic responses when I asked her for her opinions, and seemed almost bored when I sent her my screenplays for review. I worried that maybe in my excitement I had neglected our relationship in favor of talking about movies and screenplays, so I cut back on how much I talked about my hobby with her and made a huge effort to concentrate on her interests (which honestly overlapped a lot with my hobby), take her out on more dates, and generally focus on her.

While all this was happening, I made a few friends through my hobby and somehow got in touch with a couple of professionals who apparently really liked my screenplays. Suddenly my world was flipped upside down and I found myself on the phone discussing localizing one of my favorite screenplays to possibly be produced by a fairly large company outside the US. I was of course ecstatic, after all this had been my biggest dream since I was 7 and it was so close to actually happening. Jenna, on the other hand, almost seemed irritated. When our friends congratulated me, she always made a point to add a snarky comment about how cheesy the company's other movies were (they kinda do have a reputation for that at least in the states). She started completely ignoring anything I said that was remotely related to movies or screenplays, immediately changing the topic or just pretending she didn't hear me. At the same time she made a point to fawn over famous movie directors or writers on her social media, sometimes going as far as to tag me in posts with comments like "you wish haha." (I actually took that straight from her twitter, and yes it hurt.) I straight out asked her multiple times if she was unhappy with my hobby, and she replied every single time that no, she was very interested, she was as passionate about my scripts as I was, and even seemed upset that I would even ask that. If I talked about her behavior and how I interpreted it as her being annoyed at my hobby, she immediately became defensive and told me I was overreacting and that she was hurt that I'd ever think she would be unsupportive. I left these conversations feeling even more confused than before.

This all came to a head a couple days ago. We had a few friends over and were having a pretty good time when one of our friends brought up my "movie deal of the century" in a joking manner. This devolved into our friends taking jabs at me saying stuff like how I better not forget them when I became famous or if I'd add a song and dance segment to my movie script, so basically we were all being immature and silly. At this point Jenna abruptly got up saying she was sick of all the movie talk and left to make a phone call, which promptly shut everyone up. It was bad enough that after she left, our friends actually started talking about how it was obvious that Jenna hated my hobby. After they left I tried to talk to Jenna about what had happened, and apologized for the conversation just suddenly becoming all about my hobby. This did not go well. She blew up, saying she was sick and tired of trying to be supportive, but she just didn't think my screenplays were any good and it frustrated her to see that everyone else was coddling my delusions of success. She was especially angry about my most recent screenplay, which is actually very personal to me as it's sort of autobiographical about growing up in an extremely fascist country with very outdated views on human rights. She accused me of being unprofessional because I was too attached to my characters, since "real" screenplay writers should only view characters as tools to tell a story, told me nobody wants to hear about any of the depressing poo poo I had to witness growing up in said country, and finally claimed that the only reason I was writing it was because I just wanted everyone to wallow in my own pity party about not being born in the US. This, well, stunned me, because her accusations were just so bizarre and far from the truth. I don't have any delusions of grandeur or success, I just really like writing. I asked her what she wanted me to do, and she stormed off saying that if I kept this ("this" presumably being continuing to write screenplays as a hobby) up, I'd soon have to choose between having her in my life and surrounding myself with scripts nobody wanted to read. I've never seen her this angry, or this vicious, in the entire duration of our relationship.

Currently I've completely withdrawn from talking about anything related to movies around her, and that seems to please her somewhat. But now I don't know what to do. I don't know where that outburst came from, and if there's anything I could have done to prevent it. I thought I'd done a good enough job focusing on her and her interests, and the past half year or so I've barely even mentioned anything about my scripts to her. But now it seems I can't even talk about them to friends or acquaintances if there's any chance of it coming back to her in any shape or form. I don't want to lose her, but I also really don't want to lose this hobby. How should I move on from this if she refuses to have any sort of conversation about it? It honestly feels like I'm walking on eggshells. I could really use some outside perspective.

tl;dr: I really like writing screenplays, and my girlfriend encouraged me to get back into the hobby of writing them about a year ago. She has slowly become less and less happy about my hobby, and basically told me a few days ago that either I stop writing screenplays or she leaves. I don't want to lose either.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bell jar posted:

it's been ten pages shut up about bosnian kid you fuckin weirdos

What?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My girlfriend (27F) is increasingly unhappy with my long time dream/new hobby and has given me (25M) an ultimatum.

Using a throwaway account because I know she knows my username and looks it up once in a while. I've been dating "Jenna" for 3 years, she's my first serious relationship, I can see us getting married in the future, all that good stuff. Even considering how much our relationship has been strained recently, she really is the best thing that's ever happened to me and I'd be devastated if I lost her, which is why "just break up" doesn't really seem like a viable option to me.

When I was a kid I was obsessed with movies. My dream was to one day write and direct a movie myself, and being the nerd I was I spent pretty much all my time writing screenplays and doing research on my favorite movie directors and screenplay writers. This was heavily discouraged by my family and eventually when I was 15 I was forced to give up all my hobbies related to movies when my parents threatened to cut off all support. This left me with a pretty big emotional wound, and even after I became able to financially support myself and move out after college I couldn't really bring myself to pick up screenplay writing as a hobby again. Jenna was the one who encouraged me to look into it again, as she could very clearly see my passion whenever we went out to watch movies or talked about directors, and thanks to her support I was able to reclaim my hobby. So far it's only been a year, but I write pretty fast and already have several screenplays in their fourth and fifth revisions, and I've received many very positive reviews from both friends and professionals. My quality of life has honestly soared ever since and I'm honestly so happy.

Now onto the juicy relationship drama. About half a year ago I noticed that Jenna didn't seem as enthusiastic about my screenplays as she used to be in the beginning. She's a brilliant artist herself and I very much consider her a huge part in my creative process. When I first started writing, she sometimes seemed even more involved in my stories than I was, and we used to stay up all night discussing the characters, which background scores I should use, and reviewing what I had written down so far. Now she never brought up my scripts unless I did, gave canned generic responses when I asked her for her opinions, and seemed almost bored when I sent her my screenplays for review. I worried that maybe in my excitement I had neglected our relationship in favor of talking about movies and screenplays, so I cut back on how much I talked about my hobby with her and made a huge effort to concentrate on her interests (which honestly overlapped a lot with my hobby), take her out on more dates, and generally focus on her.

While all this was happening, I made a few friends through my hobby and somehow got in touch with a couple of professionals who apparently really liked my screenplays. Suddenly my world was flipped upside down and I found myself on the phone discussing localizing one of my favorite screenplays to possibly be produced by a fairly large company outside the US. I was of course ecstatic, after all this had been my biggest dream since I was 7 and it was so close to actually happening. Jenna, on the other hand, almost seemed irritated. When our friends congratulated me, she always made a point to add a snarky comment about how cheesy the company's other movies were (they kinda do have a reputation for that at least in the states). She started completely ignoring anything I said that was remotely related to movies or screenplays, immediately changing the topic or just pretending she didn't hear me. At the same time she made a point to fawn over famous movie directors or writers on her social media, sometimes going as far as to tag me in posts with comments like "you wish haha." (I actually took that straight from her twitter, and yes it hurt.) I straight out asked her multiple times if she was unhappy with my hobby, and she replied every single time that no, she was very interested, she was as passionate about my scripts as I was, and even seemed upset that I would even ask that. If I talked about her behavior and how I interpreted it as her being annoyed at my hobby, she immediately became defensive and told me I was overreacting and that she was hurt that I'd ever think she would be unsupportive. I left these conversations feeling even more confused than before.

This all came to a head a couple days ago. We had a few friends over and were having a pretty good time when one of our friends brought up my "movie deal of the century" in a joking manner. This devolved into our friends taking jabs at me saying stuff like how I better not forget them when I became famous or if I'd add a song and dance segment to my movie script, so basically we were all being immature and silly. At this point Jenna abruptly got up saying she was sick of all the movie talk and left to make a phone call, which promptly shut everyone up. It was bad enough that after she left, our friends actually started talking about how it was obvious that Jenna hated my hobby. After they left I tried to talk to Jenna about what had happened, and apologized for the conversation just suddenly becoming all about my hobby. This did not go well. She blew up, saying she was sick and tired of trying to be supportive, but she just didn't think my screenplays were any good and it frustrated her to see that everyone else was coddling my delusions of success. She was especially angry about my most recent screenplay, which is actually very personal to me as it's sort of autobiographical about growing up in an extremely fascist country with very outdated views on human rights. She accused me of being unprofessional because I was too attached to my characters, since "real" screenplay writers should only view characters as tools to tell a story, told me nobody wants to hear about any of the depressing poo poo I had to witness growing up in said country, and finally claimed that the only reason I was writing it was because I just wanted everyone to wallow in my own pity party about not being born in the US. This, well, stunned me, because her accusations were just so bizarre and far from the truth. I don't have any delusions of grandeur or success, I just really like writing. I asked her what she wanted me to do, and she stormed off saying that if I kept this ("this" presumably being continuing to write screenplays as a hobby) up, I'd soon have to choose between having her in my life and surrounding myself with scripts nobody wanted to read. I've never seen her this angry, or this vicious, in the entire duration of our relationship.

Currently I've completely withdrawn from talking about anything related to movies around her, and that seems to please her somewhat. But now I don't know what to do. I don't know where that outburst came from, and if there's anything I could have done to prevent it. I thought I'd done a good enough job focusing on her and her interests, and the past half year or so I've barely even mentioned anything about my scripts to her. But now it seems I can't even talk about them to friends or acquaintances if there's any chance of it coming back to her in any shape or form. I don't want to lose her, but I also really don't want to lose this hobby. How should I move on from this if she refuses to have any sort of conversation about it? It honestly feels like I'm walking on eggshells. I could really use some outside perspective.

tl;dr: I really like writing screenplays, and my girlfriend encouraged me to get back into the hobby of writing them about a year ago. She has slowly become less and less happy about my hobby, and basically told me a few days ago that either I stop writing screenplays or she leaves. I don't want to lose either.

Your Gf is jealous as gently caress buddy, she will poison your mind and you need to :sever:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Smirking_Serpent posted:

His partner doesn't want him to succeed and feels threatened by it. He barely mentions in passing that his girlfriend is "a brilliant artist" but I wonder if that's really true. Most likely she feels threatened by his sudden success and her lack of it. After those things she said about him and his country she seems to have some really fucken weird ideas about him too. Now he knows what she really thinks of him, that he's inferior because he came from another country and if he has success it's not fair to her.

Alternate theory: his screenplays really are complete poo poo and she just can't bring herself to talk about them being good a single other time. And that he's being led along in some kind of filmmaking ponzi scheme that will come to nothing.

Also she's got some pretty "interesting" ideas about characters and storytelling

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

[23 M] My wife [21 F] is lying to me about something not so big, but she's sticking to the lies and I feel betrayed.

My wife (Lisa) and I are about to celebrate our 1st anniversary this month, as well as both of our birthdays. We have had a very happy first year of marriage. Our only real friend (Carmine) often has Lisa over or both of us over to cook, drink, spend the night, whatever. We never use drugs.

About a month ago, the three of us are hanging out, a bit drunk, when Carmine's husband makes an off hand remark: "Lisa and Carmine smoke more weed than I do." When I heard this it immediately stood out to me, because one of the things Lisa and I promised to each other was we would never smoke weed. (There's more to that story, I can elaborate in the comments if need be. We have a history of drug use).

Anyway I try to let it go, play it cool with Lisa for a few weeks, but eventually it busts out of me and I tell her I know she's been smoking with Carmine. She denies it, adamantly, saying she has no idea why Carmine's husband had said that. We cut our argument short because we have to go to work, but I end up deciding that I was the one who was wrong, and owed her an apology for accusing her and not believing her when she denied it. I said "I'm so sorry, as your husband it's my job to believe you. If you say you didn't do it, you didn't do it."

She accepts my apology and forgives me for the argument. We feel better, and are happy again for a while.

Then last night. Carmine was over with us, drinking as usual, and asked if I had forgiven Lisa for smoking weed with her. Carmine was playfully giving me a hard time, saying I shouldn't be so uptight about it. Lisa is sitting right at the table with us, pretending not to hear the conversation. drat.

So now I know my wife lied to me repeatedly, was fine with me feeling guilty over our fight, and STILL won't admit the truth. If she had just come out and told me weeks ago, I'd have been a bit upset, but hey, it's just weed. We'd have moved on by now. I don't know how to feel, don't know what else she's lying about, and feel like I can't trust my best friend.

TLDR Lisa lied about smoking weed, I confronted her, and then apologized for accusing her. I found out I was right and she still won't admit the truth. Today is my birthday, so she's upset that I'm upset...

Edit: She'll be home in an hour or so, I am going to talk with her, keeping all your input in mind. I'll update when I can.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

She's loving Carmine, retard

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Smirking_Serpent posted:

[23 M] My wife [21 F] is lying to me about something not so big, but she's sticking to the lies and I feel betrayed.
I end up deciding that I was the one who was wrong, and owed her an apology for accusing her and not believing her when she denied it. I said "I'm so sorry, as your husband it's my job to believe you. If you say you didn't do it, you didn't do it."

She accepts my apology and forgives me for the argument. We feel better, and are happy again for a while.

Lol this is some pro manipulation

Blade Runner posted:

Yeah, this

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

(NC) A man threatened my Girlfriend (24F) with rape and my friend's (26M) life over facebook comments.

My gf posted a picture of her new haircut on Facebook and her dads neighbor kept commenting on it with suggestive inappropriate comments. I told him to stop or we would have problems. An argument ensued, and he started to antagonize me by saying things like "Im going to f (gf's name)" and "consider it done".

My friend commented telling him to f off, and he responded by saying "(friends name) im gunna find you and kill you".

I was at work when this happened and my Girlfriend calls me freaking out because shes home alone. I tell her to call the cops and I took screenshots of the conversation then rushed home.

We tell the sheriff's deputy what happened and showed him the screenshots. He basically dismisses it by saying the man could just claim his account was hacked and deny all of it. I ask about a restraining order and he says the most we could do is go to the court house and file for a no-contact order.

I dont know much about law, but it seems like this is clearly a rape and murder threat to me. However, the officer basically told us to block him on facebook and there was little else we could do. They didn't go to his house to question him.

Im not out to ruin his life or anything, but i would feel better if something was done about it. She visits her dad often and this man lives a stones throw from his house. Should i just let it go?

nothing can be done dont leave charlotte or raeleigh in nc unless you want rural fuckwads ruining everything.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Play posted:

I actually didn't say anything about him or whether he was telling the truth or not. People who instantly and vehemently believe the worst in others without a ton of evidence often do so because they recognize that's what they would do. Probably that's the case with you. Or maybe not. It's also funny to needle you so perhaps I'm the REAL rear end in a top hat

My dude or dudette: he looked into his partner's face, and lied to her consistently for years on end. A person who does that is very likely to be telling a second lie when he explains away the first lie.

When busted by some random lady in a bar, he suddenly came clean. Apparently that was what it took to get him to unload this harrowing tale he'd kept from his girlfriend for three years. His "real" story was, of course, way more dramatic than the original story. That is a classic "full of poo poo" pattern.

That is not instant or without evidence. He might actually be a refugee. His story might be true. The little we know makes that questionable, at best.

If your take-away from me saying, "Actually, the liar who lied to you a bunch for your entire relationship could very well be lying again," is that I must be projecting my own inner scumbag scumbag onto the guy, well lol.

HOT BREAD! posted:

Can I post an update? I (25f) am the now infamous "whore" from the post that blew up yesterday. Just broke things off with fiancé (27m).

Went to finances house, asked to come in, told him we had to talk. He said we did. But as a testament to his loving out of control ego he prefaced his part of the conversation with "I want you to know in advance, I MAY not be ready to accept your apology." gently caress him.

Apology, haha. I can picture this guy holding up one finger and looking down his nose at her while he says that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Blade Runner posted:

Or Carmine's husband, or-- bonus! both of them.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Oh my God stop talking about the loving Bosnian boy already no one cares anymore

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Have I [26F] overreacted to this situation with my boyfriend [27M] and his coworker [23F]??

We've been together for nearly 5 years now and we have a 9 month old baby. Like all long term relationships we have up and downs but ultimately we love each other and we do plan to get married when we are more financially stable.

Having a baby was not planned and it has sometimes been difficult, i'm back at work now so we're both always exhausted and tired people can be irritable. We don't have sex as often as we used to but I really try to make an effort, though I still don't look like how I used to before my pregnancy.

So a couple months back this new girl started at his work and he she lives in the neighborhood so my boyfriend offered to give her rides to work. So they spend every day together in the car and honestly, I feel like she gets to spend more time with him than I do. I can see that they're friends on facebook and she tags him in things all the time. I've never actually met her but I've stalked her facebook and she's super pretty and young and definitely isn't carrying baby weight.

Yesterday I found a woman's jacket that wasn't mine in the house. I asked my Bf about it and it was her's. I got pretty mad that he invited her round without telling me and did it when I wasn't home. He looked guilty when he told me, like he purposefully did it when he knew I was away and wasn't going to tell me.

It really upset me that he was hiding it from me and he promises nothing happened and she has a boyfriend and its not like that, it still feels sneaky. I do want to trust him and i do believe that nothing so far has happened but I can tell he's attracted to her. He also said that was the only time but i'm not so sure.

So I got mad and I banned him from having her over when i'm not there or to at least tell me when she's coming. Is that unreasonable? Am I overreacting?

He thinks i'm overreacting. I know part of it my own insecurity because i'm unhappy with how I look right now and she is like how I used to look before having a baby so I could be just being oversensitive and jealous. But the though of him sneaking around with a younger, prettier version of me and deliberately hiding it from me makes me feel like poo poo

tldr: my bf has become friends with a his female coworker and spends a lot of time with her and invited her over when I wasn't there and was hiding it from me. Have I overreacted by banning him inviting her over when i'm not there?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well you did one thing right, you didnt marry this guy

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

yo, new birderer

Friend's daughter charged with animal cruelty over bad day and killing three tiny birds posted:

Virginia
She was simply very annoyed, stressed out, and being bullied by roomates at college. She snapped and killed three tiny finches. I couldn't even believe such a thing would end up in charges, honestly.
It seems charges like this are usually dropped, even massive neglect cases, but it is upsetting the whole family. The girl has zero priors of anything, and is a top student at college.
Can they ask for charges to simply be dropped at the summons hearing? The girl is voluntarily already seeing a psychiatrist for her stress/anxiety. Does she need a lawyer then, or should she wait and see if prosecutor drops charges then, after seeing she has done so much already to better herself. My feeling is charges could be dropped then, without a lawyer. They whole thing seems like justice gone awry.
Any opinions would be helpful.

quote:

I did not explain everything. THe birds were very noisy and annoying her that night, which is why she killed them. They were the final straw, not just that she decided to kill the birds for stress relief.
This is in VA.
I realize the lack of tact with the comment. It just stunned me when I was told about it. He seemed equally incredulous.
Growing up in a farm community gives you a different view of animal cruelty.

quote:

It's in VA.
While all sociopaths mess with animals, all kids that mess with animals aren't sociopaths. My friend says she has had zero other issues. This was simply a result of stress building up, then the birds annoying her until she just couldn't deal with it that night.
It was not "I'm really angry/stressed, hey, I'll kill my birds".

bonus points for "asking for a friend" and fooling nobody

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

All of my boyfriend's friends/roommates hate me.

My boyfriend and I have been dating for a little over a year now, and it's going great. There is one recurring black cloud on our relationship - and that's his friends/roommates. He lives with 5 other guys, and they all hate me. My boyfriend is a funny, social guy and loves his friends. Before our relationship, he was always with his friends playing video games, drinking, doing drugs...typical college boy stuff.

​After I came in the picture, he's stopped drugs entirely and nearly doesn't drink or go out anymore. I never told him to do anything - he says it's because I make him want to be the best man he can be, and start being goal-oriented. He's tried to hang out with his roommates, but all they do is drink, stay up until 2AM, and do drugs...all of which my boyfriend doesn't feel like doing anymore after years of that.

​Anyhow, his friends loving hate me. I try to be soooo nice. I've baked them cookies, cakes, brownies when I come over, I bought their house a new video game I found, I introduced them to my friends (who they all hit on but all denied them). I've tried so hard, but they just do not like me. My boyfriend insists it's "not me" and it's because they feel like he's different now that I'm in the picture. But, two of them recently unfollowed me on instagram and they ignore me when I say things like "hey how was your day?". They just straight up don't reply. And this after ONE YEAR.

​It's been affecting our relationship lately because I hate feeling ostracized, and that's how they make me feel. Last night, his roommate took the parking pass out of my car for his girl to park there, and I got a ticket. My boyfriend offered to pay for it - but like what the gently caress?? I accepted that they just will not like me, so I've stopped trying so hard. But it just really sucks that I haven't been anything but kind, and now everytime I go over it's extremely awkward.

​Worst part is my boyfriend and I are picturing a long future together - but the fact is I don't ever want to be around his rude friends after college. They make me feel like poo poo, and I don't want to see them again. But, I know a part of being with my boyfriend is that he will always want to be close to these guys and they will stay a part of our lives. And they all loving hate me.

​TL;DR: Advice/help on what to do when your boyfriend's friends/roommates hate you.

Man this hits close to home. I had two roommates that got alone fine. Then one roommate met a girl and started dating her. The other roommate wouldn't interact at all with her, and started saying how she wasn't right for him, and she was controlling, and unfriendly. He never even said hello to her when she came over to the house for over a year. Like never took off his headphones, or put down the MMO to even acknowledge her presence.

They got married and are a lovely couple, and last I knew he's still playing video games.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [26F] boyfriend [31M] is bothered by the fact that none of my cats [2F, F, and M] have proper names.

This is not a super serious issue, but I would like an outside perspective.

My boyfriend of 5 months is a MAJOR animal lover and that's fine! I love a man who loves animals. Personally, I love cats so much so that I volunteer at the animal shelter. I'm not a cruel person when it comes to animals at all! I have three kitties that my brother gave to me after someone abandoned them in his work parking lot.

They don't have official names. I usually call them Mister Boy (the male), Runts (because she's the runt) and Nips (she will getcha if you aren't paying attention), or I refer to them by a series of nicknames, such as, "big britches/jammies" (Mister Boy), "little britches/jammies" (Runts) etc.

My boyfriend says I should name them, but should I have to? I couldn't think of names for the little shitheads then and still can't haha.

TLDR Boyfriend wants me to name my cats. Is this an, as I suspect, "him problem"? Is it really that strange my little curmudgeons don't have names?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Have I [26F] overreacted to this situation with my boyfriend [27M] and his coworker [23F]??

We've been together for nearly 5 years now and we have a 9 month old baby. Like all long term relationships we have up and downs but ultimately we love each other and we do plan to get married when we are more financially stable.

Having a baby was not planned and it has sometimes been difficult, i'm back at work now so we're both always exhausted and tired people can be irritable. We don't have sex as often as we used to but I really try to make an effort, though I still don't look like how I used to before my pregnancy.

So a couple months back this new girl started at his work and he she lives in the neighborhood so my boyfriend offered to give her rides to work. So they spend every day together in the car and honestly, I feel like she gets to spend more time with him than I do. I can see that they're friends on facebook and she tags him in things all the time. I've never actually met her but I've stalked her facebook and she's super pretty and young and definitely isn't carrying baby weight.

Yesterday I found a woman's jacket that wasn't mine in the house. I asked my Bf about it and it was her's. I got pretty mad that he invited her round without telling me and did it when I wasn't home. He looked guilty when he told me, like he purposefully did it when he knew I was away and wasn't going to tell me.

It really upset me that he was hiding it from me and he promises nothing happened and she has a boyfriend and its not like that, it still feels sneaky. I do want to trust him and i do believe that nothing so far has happened but I can tell he's attracted to her. He also said that was the only time but i'm not so sure.

So I got mad and I banned him from having her over when i'm not there or to at least tell me when she's coming. Is that unreasonable? Am I overreacting?

He thinks i'm overreacting. I know part of it my own insecurity because i'm unhappy with how I look right now and she is like how I used to look before having a baby so I could be just being oversensitive and jealous. But the though of him sneaking around with a younger, prettier version of me and deliberately hiding it from me makes me feel like poo poo

tldr: my bf has become friends with a his female coworker and spends a lot of time with her and invited her over when I wasn't there and was hiding it from me. Have I overreacted by banning him inviting her over when i'm not there?

You are over reacting to the fact that he is carpooling with her but under reacting to the fact that he hosed her in your bed so it's kind of a wash

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

My girlfriend scared me with her Chucky doll and now I might break up with her.

Bwahahaha I did not expect this to escalate into a Jerry Springer running brawl across their entire apartment complex :discourse:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [26F] boyfriend [31M] is bothered by the fact that none of my cats [2F, F, and M] have proper names.

This is not a super serious issue, but I would like an outside perspective.

My boyfriend of 5 months is a MAJOR animal lover and that's fine! I love a man who loves animals. Personally, I love cats so much so that I volunteer at the animal shelter. I'm not a cruel person when it comes to animals at all! I have three kitties that my brother gave to me after someone abandoned them in his work parking lot.

They don't have official names. I usually call them Mister Boy (the male), Runts (because she's the runt) and Nips (she will getcha if you aren't paying attention), or I refer to them by a series of nicknames, such as, "big britches/jammies" (Mister Boy), "little britches/jammies" (Runts) etc.

My boyfriend says I should name them, but should I have to? I couldn't think of names for the little shitheads then and still can't haha.

TLDR Boyfriend wants me to name my cats. Is this an, as I suspect, "him problem"? Is it really that strange my little curmudgeons don't have names?

quote:

[–]0biterdicta [score hidden] 2 hours ago
You have named them; Mister Boy, Runts and Nips and then you have a series of nicknames for them. I'd say that is pretty typical for most pet owners.

[–]beyondfuckshit[S] [score hidden] 2 hours ago
He doesn't "agree" with those names.

OP posted:

My boyfriend has some New Age ideas about pets and their psychology. I don't really get all of it, but I don't have to. Still love the guy. This isn't a super duper big issue, just whenever he comes over he will ask if I've named my cats and then tell me the importance of having a "strong" name for pets. We watched Breakfast At Tiffany's and now he calls me Holly haha
He wants them all to be named Pnurtis, doesn't he?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

berth ell kit

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
Wizard cats must protect their true names.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Haifisch posted:

He wants them all to be named Pnurtis, doesn't he?

quote:

My boyfriend has some New Age ideas about pets and their psychology.

He sounds pushy and stupid, :sever:.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (25F) friend (24M) wants me to come watch him try standup next week. I predict it will go badly.

Last month, I went to see a live standup show with my housemate. A few days later, he messaged me and my other housemate saying he'd booked a slot at an open mic night at a pub, and he'd like us to come and watch. Cool. I'm not especially close to him since he spends 99% of his time in his room but we moved in together as mutual friends of my third housemate and so I'd say we both regard each other as friends. We don't have much in common, but I try to generally be supportive and friendly as he's a sweet person and some aspects of his life aren't all that easy (depression, severe weight problem, and he's trans).

My problem is, I can't see any way that this will go well. For a start, he's just not a very funny person. Like, he regularly shares Minion memes and the kind of slightly cringe humour put out by some people in the Harry Potter and Marvel fandoms. He maybe makes an ok pun every now and then, but he's not a natural storyteller - his funny work stories always come with an air of "you had to be there". Additionally, he's sensitive and has a shaky sense of self worth, so if it goes badly or if he gets heckled I can see him going into a depressive spiral. Alternatively, if it somehow goes well, he will be unbearably braggy about it. I really don't want to catch the train home with him in either of these states.

I'm nervous about going because I have a strong sense of secondhand embarrassment: as a kid, any film or show with a plot about someone making an idiot of themselves would make me really uncomfortable to the point of anger or having to leave the room. I'm much better now, but I won't be able to enjoy the night as I'll be so anxious about him dying on stage. If he's bad, I doubt I will be able to hide my discomfort.

When he first asked I said I'd look at my diary and try to come along and support him (I also asked him if he felt resilient enough to handle it if it didn't go well and his response was "my friend is helping me with the script". Hm.) but as it gets closer, I'm really not looking forward to going. I feel really bad about trying to find a way out because I know it's really important to him and it'll mean a lot to have supporters along: while I'm not particularly close to him, I see him every day and so feel like I'm a fairly major part of his life in some ways and my absence will be noticed. I think it ties into my general guilt about not making more of an effort to reach out to him and be a supportive friend - living with him I'm fairly aware of when he's doing well and when he's not taking care of himself, and sometimes I feel like I only speak to him to ask him to stop leaving rotten food in the fridge or smoking in his room.

Do I try and discourage him from doing it, even though his closer friends seem to be encouraging him and he probably won't listen to me? Or do I just find an excuse not to go and accept that this might make him unhappy?

TL:DR: my friend has asked me to come along to an open mic where he's trying stand-up comedy. He's not very funny, I'm already dying from second-hand embarrassment, and if he sucks it will probably affect his mental health badly. Do I find an excuse or do I try harder to discourage/support him?

I've never wanted and update/follow-up more.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

He's going to find something out about me that stinks.

How do you get to 30 without learning how to manoeuvre the cheeks apart and have some butthole control in order to fart silently?!

Leon Einstein posted:

Marriage and LDR do not work.

LDRs in general are for relationship beggars.

Half my staff are OFWs and they seem to make it work ok. They at least don’t hate their spouses over the tedium of life.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My cats theoretically have names, but mostly they're 'large cat' and 'small cat'.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Cops don't give a gently caress until someone's raped and murdered, and they don't give a gently caress even then. Sorry!

The thing Veni Vidi Ameche is STILL arguing about a few posts down.

Christ, Veni, give it up.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Smirking_Serpent posted:

This person is tedious and horrible. Go to the stand up comedy show and cringe at your friend. All people who do comedy are fundamentally broken somehow, maybe he’ll find his element. Or you’re uncomfortable for his 3 whole minutes on stage, heaven forbid.

I go to a lot of comedy and have seen so many horrible sets, yet even the worst comedians keep going back. Occasionally, after crashing a dozen times, they might get a laugh. I haven’t seen it send people into crippling depression— they already had that before they walked in.

Some people aren’t funny in conversation but can put together a good set. This friend is an rear end in a top hat for not giving his roommate a shot.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm really horrible with second-hand embarrassment, so a standup open mic night is pretty much my personal hell

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
There's a good one on the top of front page reddit right now. Can't copy because I'm on my phone
Guy orders heroin with three friends, one ODs and dies. Others call 911, police come and seize stuff which OP claims includes rent money in their wallet, a bunch of electronics, and a backpack. But dude is totally innocent, just "self employed" and cant do their job or pay their rent because wallet and backpack were confiscated. Can't understand why police are being rude to them

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lol at cops doing anything. There are so many threads on r/legal advice that amount to "I called the police after someone threatened to rape and murder me and they did nothing."

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

The stuff Midnight Voyager is trying to revive after thirty posts of no one bringing it up.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Mill Town posted:

I googled this and got deleted tweets and a bunch of questionable-looking fanfic, can someone link like a screenshot or something please?

:nws: https://66.media.tumblr.com/0f2d9a5fc43155049537e6ba11461e97/tumblr_pi7n2oMhms1qbo1mb_540.jpg :nws:

The Jimin in question is a male kpop singer who was born a dude with all the generic man parts. Even if he were trans this is still nasty as gently caress. kpop fans are basically straight girls fetishisizing gay and trans people in new and unholey dimensions they created.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I was at the scene of a fatal overdose and the police took all of my belongings. I am now being evicted from my apartment as one of the things was my wallet containing rent money and have lost my job. [NYS]

quote:

My friend fatally overdosed on heroin. His fiance, my fiance, and I were all there, called 911, performed rescue breathing until they got there, etc. Literally everything we were supposed to do. The police took all of our electronics, wallets, and my backpack. My wallet and backpack contained important identifications such as my passport, drivers license, insurance cards, birth certificate, money, debit card, and some other less important things. Some electronics they took were my Windows 10 tablet, all of our phones, and some of my very important USB flash-drives that contain everything I need to do my job. (I'm self employed so it's on hold until I get them back.)
I called the head investigator (at the local county sheriff's office) in charge of that case a couple days after it happened and was told they were getting a search warrant to go through everything in a couple days from then. I then said, well give them back until you get the warrant and was told to "gently caress off" followed by getting hung up on. I called a couple days after the date they said they were getting the search warrant and was told the county district attorney was holding it as evidence in regards to a search warrant because of the fatal overdose. The officers on scene told my fiance that they were taking our belongings to make sure no foul play was involved. My fiance and I have both called the district attorney's office and that got us nowhere. The secretary just told us the DA will call us back. It has been a little over a month now and we have yet to get an answer from anybody AND we're getting evicted from our apartment because we couldn't pay rent as we had our rent money in our wallets. We weren't given a receipt or any sort of proof for all of the things they took.
I feel like we were straight-up robbed. I have never heard of such a thing like this. First our friend dies, then we get all of our belongings taken from us and as a result I lose my job and we lose our apartment.
Doesn't Governor Andrew Cuomo's 911 Good Samaritan Law protect us from this kind of thing?Is there someone we can call to speed up this process that will actually give us results? (No money for a lawyer)
Any advice and suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: /u/LocationBot is telling me to add the location, I thought the [NYS] in the title was good enough but yes, this happened in Upstate New York.

Edit 2: Thread locked but - Woah! This got WAY more responses than I was expecting. Thank you all very much for contributing. To clear some things up:
No, none of the three of us were involved in anyway what-so-ever. Jesus people, did you read my post? One of us was his fiance! Y'know, the person who he was going to marry. And the other was her good friend who is my fiance. They were actually going to have us move in with them that next day because we were struggling. The guy was determined to help me turn my life around for the better.
No, none of us are heroin/drug dealers nor did they find any drugs on any of us. We ALL had a mutual acquaintance that brought us ALL over some heroin that we ALL paid an equal amount of money for and the guy split the whole thing into 4 equal parts. We then each did our own thing in the bathroom (they sniffed, we shot) and came back out to the living room to continue hanging out. He had been drinking and that is likely why he OD'd. Everything was fine for about an hour or two and then he started falling out. That's when me and my fiance started performing rescue breathing on him (his fiance didn't know how to). We called 911 while we took turns doing this. We actually brought him back. They took like 45 minutes to get there and shortly before they got there he fell out again and the rescue breathing didn't work. We continued trying to do it until the 911 operators instructed us to put him in the recovery position and wait for narcan. They came, and gave him multiple shots of narcan to no avail. Then I guess I fell out and they narcanned me as well (I was on xanax so I think that's why I fell out, not sure why it took so long). When I came back that's when they started taking all of our belongings which brings me to my next bullet.
No, none of us gave permission for them to take our any of our belongings. We specifically declined and argued that we wouldn't allow this to happen without a search warrant. They literally, forcibly, grabbed my fiance's phone/wallet out of her hands, my phone and wallet out of my pockets, backpack off of my back, then proceeded so search their entire house and take anything they wanted to take. The only answer we got regarding a warrant is "we'll get one". So no warrant was present at that time or, according to them, for almost a week after.
Yes, I am a dev of sorts. All of my work for years has been on those USB's. I had backups but had them all with me because like I said above, they were having us move in with them. They literally threw his fiance out of their own house. Told her she HAD to leave. So her mother came and got her.
My fiance spoke with her lawyer from a completely unrelated case and she said that they are required to give a receipt or some sort of documentation to us stating what they took. They didn't.
I think that about covers it. u/PM_ME_UR_BEWBIES_GRL I think the most helpful response award goes to you. I'm looking into how exactly to file for a motion for return of property. Thank you and thanks again everyone for all of the responses. I read this entire thread very carefully and will take everything into consideration and decide my best option(s) from here.
My fiance and I are both clean now.
The last little thing I would like to say, out of respect - R.I.P, friend. You are and will continue to be missed greatly.

None of us were involved whatsoever! We all just pitched in and did heroin together!

I mean, loving :lol:

UZR IS BULLSHIT fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Elderbean posted:

Lol at cops doing anything. There are so many threads on r/legal advice that amount to "I called the police after someone threatened to rape and murder me and they did nothing."

sounds like a civil issue to me :smug: