Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

beanieson posted:

Samuel L Jackson is playing Samuel L Jackson, just like always.

He actually has a fair bit of range and Stephen in Django Unchained last year was a change of pace. I mean, his characters in Fresh, Jackie Brown and Unbreakable are all totally different. Lakeview Terrace is, to an extent, a comment on his "bad motherfucker" persona. I mean there's a shtick that he's good at that makes him a bit of a character actor but I wouldn't say he's totally limited or unable to show variety in his roles.

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

The tagline for this fails to make any grammatical sense, no matter which way you slice it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ishamael posted:

If you haven't heard it, his rendition of Sgt. Pepper from this album may be the worst song ever recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUlv5FCqpeo

Wow, you weren't kidding.

Is this about eye doctor charts?

Tommy Lee got some nice tits.

The left-align of the tagline always annoys me. I'd flip the background poster, then have the tagline left-aligned along the left side.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 9, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's such a bad tag line. You can't have the name of the movie in there.

At least go with "Some call it organized crime, others call it..."

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It is. I've checked.

I mean, there are some close ones, but this one's just right.

The closest one for me is a Warren Oates-starring drama called "Cockfighter", which is actually a pretty good little movie. Roger Corman's New World Pictures was releasing it, everyone (rightfully) thought it was unmarketable, and someone in the publicity department proposed the tagline "He came into town with his cock in his hand. And what he did with it was illegal in 49 states."

EDIT: IIRC, that was the only reason the movie is called "Head."
v v v v v

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 9, 2013

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Robert Denby posted:

The closest one for me is a Warren Oates-starring drama called "Cockfighter", which is actually a pretty good little movie. Roger Corman's New World Pictures was releasing it, everyone (rightfully) thought it was unmarketable, and someone in the publicity department proposed the tagline "He came into town with his cock in his hand. And what he did with it was illegal in 49 states."

My favorite hypothetical tagline comes from The Monkees, who, if they'd ever gotten to make a sequel to their only theatrical movie, wanted to put on the poster, "From the guys that gave you Head."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's quite nice and atmospheric on top of having Alan Lee's/John Howe's cool designs. At this point I'll give it points solely for not having floating loving heads.

E: A higher res version

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

It's more to do with the fact that it's a cult foreign film than anything to do with age (Spielberg and Will Smith were going to do it a while back before they both pulled out). Spike Lee is a real director though and the cast is fine so this should be worth a watch, rather than just a cash-in.

Excuse me, what? Steven Spielberg is not a real director?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

GonSmithe posted:

Excuse me, what? Steven Spielberg is not a real director?

Not what I was implying but I see how you read it that way.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Not what I was implying but I see how you read it that way.

Ah, okay, my bad then. Thought I was gonna have to start a fight in here.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Stare-Out posted:

That's quite nice and atmospheric on top of having Alan Lee's/John Howe's cool designs. At this point I'll give it points solely for not having floating loving heads.

E: A higher res version

Bilbo's colours are far too vibrant. It looks like he's in front of a cheap 90s green screen.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Bilbo's colours are far too vibrant. It looks like he's in front of a cheap 90s green screen.

It's New Zealand. We only just got to the 90's last weekend.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Since the discovery of the movie itself, and now this scene, it makes that killer dolphin simpsons episode that much better.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
I'd already forgotten completely that The Hobbit movie existed.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That sort of works though, because you've got this colourful cheerful little dude dwarfed by a vast grey megalith and surrounded by dead trees and rubble.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Snoop Radley posted:

I'd already forgotten completely that The Hobbit movie existed.

Well there's two to go so prepare to be reminded a lot over the next few months.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Two posters of vastly differing quality for two upcoming action movies.

Escape Plan, starring Stallone and Schwarzenegger

Rushlights, making a stern challenge for "worst poster of the year."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Escape Plan? Didn't it used to be called The Tomb?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

According to the Wikipedia entry, yes. It's the first time I'd heard of it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

As well as the worst mustache.

A human heart fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 10, 2013

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

What's wrong with your face?!

What is wrong with your faaaaceee?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYNCIyWxwko

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

This is pretty cool and it still excites my inner 1990's teenager to see the two of them star in the same movie. What Expendables 2 had just wasn't enough.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Vagabundo posted:

I want to see this so much.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Jefferoo posted:

What's wrong with your face?!

What is wrong with your faaaaceee?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYNCIyWxwko

His face isn't even the worst thing on there. Look at the girl, her face is just slightly too big and a little off center. It's extremely unnerving. Also, I find it funny that they spent all that time scrubbing the details off the guy's face, but they didn't do anything about those big horrible veins sticking out of his arm. And then at the bottom you can't tell who is supposed to be holding the gun. Is the guy on the left holding it in front of Beau Bridges or is Beau Bridges holding it really awkwardly in front of his face? Really the thing you're pointing out is possibly the least terrible thing on that poster. And that's not a statement I'm making lightly.

Also the girl on the poster is seriously freaking me the gently caress out. She's got this creepy little anorexic child body and this weird face that's too large and some how makes her look 45 when I'm sure the actress in this movie is most likely 25 or under. I don't know what it is, but after all the lovely posters in this thread, for some reason this is the one that broke me.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Ugh gently caress now I can't stop looking at his arm vein. That's pretty gross.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Paul Booth of Influx Magazine was probably handsomely compensated for such a glowing cover review.

And by "handsomely compensated" I mean "a production company staffer took him to Denny's and bought him a Grand Slam breakfast".

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I resent the people who see that poster and decide they want to watch the movie. They represent everything bad in the world.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I resent the people who see that poster and decide they want to watch the movie. They represent everything bad in the world.

Do you find your movie watching time cuts into your resenting time?

Vagabundo posted:

I just see the prison in the escape plan poster as the only two options they never let loose at the end of cabin in the woods.

Such a drat shame.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Didn't Melvin Van Peebles get VD while filming the sex scenes (because he actually had sex during them.)

His 14 year old son also lost his virginity on set performing a sex scene as young Sweetback on his father's direction, which is messed up to say the least. Another recommendation for Baadasssss, some of the stories in it are just amazing. Like how they secretly filmed a fire truck that showed up out of the blue to extinguish a car they set on fire, or when someone accidently mixed up the fake prop guns with a real loaded one that the crew used for protection.

v Indeed he was.

goodog fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 10, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

El Negocio posted:

His son also lost his virginity on set performing a sex scene as young Sweetback on his father's direction, which is messed up to say the least.

Also his son was underage at the time IIRC.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

spanky the dolphin posted:

Ugh gently caress now I can't stop looking at his arm vein. That's pretty gross.

I'm sorry you're not vascular.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

I'm honestly... well maybe not excited for this, but I dig both Stallone and Arnie, so I'm probably gonna see that movie when it comes out. The poster ain't too bad, either (although the "Plan" in "Escape Plan" could use to stand out a little bit more)

That Rushlights poo poo on the other hand looks terrible and that dude with the silenced pistol looks like a douchy Ethan Hawke knockoff. I haven't seen such an awkward, terrible mustache since Training Day.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Have a bunch of character posters for Snowpiercer!

The rest are here. I'm really loving the look of these; gives a great idea of what the atmosphere of the film will be like.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What the hell is Snowpiercer and why the hell would it need character posters

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alec Eiffel posted:

What the hell is Snowpiercer and why the hell would it need character posters

It's an international film adaptation of a French science-fiction novel, with a Korean director (Joon-ho Bong, of The Host) and an English-speaking cast (Chris Evans, Tilda Swanson, Ed Harris, and John Hurt).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Also every film needs character posters, or gets them anyway.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

When I went one of the extra scenes for Anchorman 2, one part of Will's scene was punching* a dolphin and saying one liners. One of the takes he said "Go back and hang out with George C Scott!" before punching* him, but no one laughed but me :(

*No he didn't really punch an the dolphin.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Why don't you get away, Getaway...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Does Josh Hartnett look at Ethan Hawke's career and say, "Are those the movies I'll be doing?"