Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

So now they just make generic parody movies where they just throw in whatever the gently caress they feel like parodying with no rhyme or reason to it? How long has this been going on? At least the Scary Movie series sticks to one genre. How is the Hunger Games even remotely connected to Avengers?

As I understand it these days they pretty much just mass produce and write them like sketch shows then tape them together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Slasherfan posted:

They're baaaaack!

I see they replaced Michael Jackson with Iron Man.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
In simplest terms possible, can someone explain how the rights to parodies work? Like, do they have to pay anyone to feature Iron Man or Katniss (or whatever lame parody names they give them) in the movie?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

In simplest terms possible, can someone explain how the rights to parodies work? Like, do they have to pay anyone to feature Iron Man or Katniss (or whatever lame parody names they give them) in the movie?

It just has to "comment on the work" that's being parodied.

There are some rights holders who probably could win against these types of movies, but I guess it's not really worth it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Aphrodite posted:

Because "I'm Batman" *cow falls on guy in Batman costume* is a real comment on the character.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

SRM posted:

Because "I'm Batman" *cow falls on guy in Batman costume* is a real comment on the character.

Yeah, they literally steal a joke from loving Earthworm Jim for Disaster Movie. But do you know why that joke worked in Earthworm Jim and not Disaster Movie? In Jim the cow get's launched earlier in the episode by some random happenstance, so it actually has a setup. You spend the episode forgetting about the cow, and when the other hoof drops, it's funny cause you remember "Oh, yeah, that cow got launched earlier, I guess it had to come down sometime!" instead of DM's method of "Oh, a cow. What?!"

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, they literally steal a joke from loving Earthworm Jim for Disaster Movie. But do you know why that joke worked in Earthworm Jim and not Disaster Movie? In Jim the cow get's launched earlier in the episode by some random happenstance, so it actually has a setup. You spend the episode forgetting about the cow, and when the other hoof drops, it's funny cause you remember "Oh, yeah, that cow got launched earlier, I guess it had to come down sometime!" instead of DM's method of "Oh, a cow. What?!"

I doubt they were stealing a joke from EJ, but rather just making a *TOTALLY RANDOM* joke

But still the point stands

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Slasherfan posted:

They're baaaaack!

Iron Man looks like Grand Moff Tarkin.

These guys make terrible movies, but they've always turned a profit so they'll always be getting work.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

You know, the words "From that guys that (brought you/directed/wrote/shat out)" should be viewed in the same way a red text title on a poster is: a sign that the movie is going to be the shittiest piece of poo poo that was ever poo poo out onto a screen.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Slasherfan posted:

They're baaaaack!

Hah, they had to auto-color Capt America to black so he wouldn't stand out a loving mile.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
"The Starving Games"

Real clever spin on the title there, guys.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Would the Hungry Games have been too close for the lawyers?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Aphrodite posted:

There are some rights holders who probably could win against these types of movies, but I guess it's not really worth it.

It would be worth it if it meant these movies would not get made anymore.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mister Chief posted:

Would the Hungry Games have been too close for the lawyers?

Maybe call it The Hungary Games, and have lots of jokes about those KWAZY YOOROPEONS! a-HYUCK!

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
My sister coined the title "The Glutton Games", and excuse me but that's a much better parody title than this lazy starving bullshit. Think of all the fat jokes you could jam into it!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Famished Funtimes

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Munchies Marathons

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Slavering Slobberknockers

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
The Snacktime Challenge!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hungry Hungry Hitting

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Ravenous Recreations

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Malnourished Mischief

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The Peckish Pantomimes.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Famished Farcical Follies
E: gently caress, foiled.

The Craving Carnivorous Competitions

The Piggish Playful Pastimes.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 8, 2013

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'd just like to say that I too have a thesaurus.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The tagline of Drive is now a major motion picture.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Well I now want to see Blackfish, Scenic Route, and Absence without knowing anything else about them so those posters were at least effective to me. That Family poster is dumb though.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I like this,so nice, it caught my attention right away.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Already my film of the year going off the title alone.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

"AB|SENCE" separating out the "AB" like that while having a big glowing line pointing to her stomach makes it seem like they're trying to do some sort of abdominal pun. They aren't though, it's just a poor design. Crinkled paper background too!

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

My baby was abducted by aliens! That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
She looks so embarassed, like she lost her car keys or her passport or something.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I thought Blackfish was a misdirection like the Antichrist posters or something, but no, it is actually a movie - a documentary no less - about a killer killer whale.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

The terrible story of the fish Dr. Seuss didn't want you to know about.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

The terrible story of the fish Dr. Seuss didn't want you to know about.

I forgot that orcas were recently reclassified as fish.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is Blackfish the sequel to Black Swan? Synchronized diving instead of dancing?

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
You guys took my fish sperging away. I hate you guys :mad:.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Featuring original music by Mark Cherry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Featuring original music by Mark Cherry.

The baby-faced show runner?