Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My husband (26m) is upset and wont talk to me since i (25f) learned i need extensive dental work.

We've been together for five years. Up until last year I hadn't been to the dentist in many years. I don't really have a good excuse for not going except I was suicidal and didn't brush for many years and didn't think I would live long enough to suffer the consequences. I have much better dental hygiene now but the damage was already done.

I only worked up the courage to go to the dentist again a few months ago when my tooth cracked and I had no choice but to go. I had to have a root canal and crown which were very costly but we were able to afford it. We discussed that I would need more work done when our insurance renewed.

So a few days ago I went in for a new patient exam, and it was pretty bad. The dentist quoted me for about five thousand dollars of work that needed to be done to get my teeth back in shape. That's after I already had the 2k dental work from before. We can afford it, technically. We do better than a lot of people. But of course it's still a lot of money. It doesn't need to be done all at once, but it does need to be done this year.

I told my husband immediately, and he's been very distant ever since. He won't talk to me except to say that he's upset with me. I can afford to pay the payments for the work but I won't be able to help our family in other ways financially and he's really upset about that. I know it sucks, and I have no idea how to talk to him about it. I don't want my husband to resent me forever but I don't want to lose my teeth. What should I do?

TL;DR: Husband hasn't spoken to me in days because I need 5k dollars in dental work. What should I do?

7k? you can get your teeth pulled and get a nice set of dentures cheaper.

Also some dentists are super scammy. I chiped a tooth and needed it fixed and they were like omg your wisdom teeth are impacted pay us 2k and we will take them out. I have never had pain from my wisdom teeth.

Fallom posted:

Hmm I wonder why the school and DCFS don't like him...

The mom needs to tell the school he has no custody and to not let the kids get picked up by him before he does pick them and run with them. People only say i would never kidnap my own children right before they attempt to kidnap their own children.

Haifisch posted:

Today on petty bullshit:

My [28/M] girlfriend [26/F] of 5 years thinks I don't know how to share food / marginalizes my choices

Situation 3 is the most common and he defiantly doesn't know how to share food. When you are splitting sides you get two sides both people would eat. not one to yourself. He essentially wants half a side of mac n cheese and a whole side of coleslaw.

snergle fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Am I The rear end in a top hat for getting upset at my friend for having a seizure?

The title alone makes me sound like a complete rear end in a top hat, but please read first. This incident happened two years ago, but my friend still brings it up and even mentioned it yesterday. He says I'm in the wrong for being upset with him but I feel completely justified about feeling the way I did. Just wanted some outside perspective.

First of all I know people can't control seizures. I don't care being around people when they have them, and I've been around this friend when he's gone through many. He used to have around three a day, but would also have periods where he wouldn't have any. Some would be big, some would be very small and pass quickly. Either way, I'd still do stuff with him and go places with him despite knowing things could end poorly and I would have to get him to the hospital. I'm a 120lb girl and he was around 300lbs at the time, so it always made me a little worried because I couldn't move him or hold him back when he would uncontrollably do things.

One day he asks me if I'd like to go to the lake with him. I was a little worried about it cause water and the lake was about 30 minutes from town, but I said yea. He told me to bring my inflatable bed out with me because he wanted to float out in the middle of the lake with me, which is something I used to always do with my best friend. I talked about it enough and he wanted to do it with me. I told him going out into the middle of the lake wasn't a good idea because if he had a seizure I couldn't pull him to shore or even keep him above water. He would drown. He kept saying nothing would happen and that he can tell if a seizure is going to come at least 15 minutes beforehand. He said he gets feelings and warning signs and he would warn me. But he said days when he has seizures he also wakes up and knows if he'll have one at some point. He said he woke up this day and was just positive he wouldn't have one. I was still iffy about this, but I didn't want to control him and act like his mom so I brought my inflatable bed with me to take out on the water. I wasn't planning on going out very far because if he did warn me of one I wanted to be able to get in shore in a minutes time.

Five minutes after we get to the beach and get the inflatable bed ready, he falls into a seizure as if someone just hit a light switch. He fell to the ground, started foaming from the mouth, starting choking, then started rolling around on the beach. I couldn't do anything. He kept trying to get up, would fall, and try to run towards the water. He was completely in another state and I'm too small to do loving anything. Everyone is just sitting around me like nothing is happening but my friend looks like hes dying and he keeps trying to run away from me and I have no control. I was so scared he'd run right into the water and drown.

There was no warning sign like he said. He told me he would be able to warn me. He said he knew for a fact he wouldn't have one that day. I felt so upset because he had to lie to me about these things. He didn't just say "well it could happen". He had to lie to me about how his seizures work just so I wouldn't try to stop him from doing something stupid. I just kept thinking about how if the seizure had waited awhile to kick in he could have died. The next day I expressed how upset I was about what happened and his response was just "it's not my fault". Yea it's not his fault he has seizures, but he could at least not LIE to me and put our lives in danger. That's the most scared I've ever been in my life and I've been through many of his seizures. He's never ever said sorry for lying and I think he owes me an apology rather than "not my fault"

AITA?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Am I The rear end in a top hat for breaking up with my gf because I don't like her way of dressing?

I have been together with my gf for over a year. Overall, she's a nice person and I don't wish any bad on her at all.

For the past 2 months, my gf has been starting to go out more frequently with her (female) friends. It would be a "girls night" so I never got to tag along. I never had an issue with it since she had been doing that since we met, but she also started to dress a lot more differently.

She went from modest clothing to more revealing stuff. It first started with an extra deep cleavage, short thight jeans etc. I told her this made me uncomfortable but she started getting defensive, accused me of not trusting her, telling me "a bit of skin" (that was more then a bit imo) is alright and that I have no right to object against her way of clothing. A week or something later, she went more daring as in her underwear visible, sideboob etc. At that point I told her I'm not going to force her to change, she has indeed the right to chose her clothings. But I also have the right to choose. I told her I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone wearing that publicly. She got mad at first, then started crying as I left and later got hateful messages of her friends that I was too controling. (I believe I gave her all the freedom I could at this point since it wasn't my business anymore)

Tl;Dr. Gf wears more revealing clothing with sideboob, see through skirts etc. As I don't want to force her to change, but neither want to be with someone who dresses like that, I broke up with her. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Am I The rear end in a top hat for accidentally making my daughter believe her uncle's brightly colored vegan cake was Play-doh and causing the entire family to do arts and crafts with it instead of eating it?

At a family Christmas brunch my brother had done his absolute best preparing a vegan dessert for the family. He made a bright-green mung bean cake. I couldn’t help it… it just… looked like Play-doh to me. It kinda smelled like Play-doh, too. Don’t know about the flavor, but yeah, the whole texture and shape of it…

Now I’ve always given my brother a hard time about his veganism. Lately I have been cool with his dietary choices. Respected them. But there he came to the table, beaming with pride at his creation, and my four-year-old daughter innocently asked… “Papa, what is that?” and I just, blurted out… “It’s Play-doh, baby!”

So, my daughter, quite enthusiastically, started rolling a snake out of her dessert. She also offered our youngest some “clay to play with”, which she did, equally enthusiastically. Soon my father and mother and all of us joined in on the fun, using my brother’s dessert as a toy. We made snakes out of it, lions, snails… the whole family was just doing arts and crafts with my brother’s dessert. He wasn’t too amused and it kinda ruined our brunches’ vegan addition entirely. Feel a little guilty over how much fun I had making fun of my brother's vegan cake.

TL;DR: I convinced my daughter the vegan food of her uncle was Play-doh and the whole family just played arts and crafts with it at the dinner table instead of eating what he prepared for us.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Am I The rear end in a top hat for getting upset at my friend for having a seizure?

Way to change a story from an 'of course you are' to a solid 'no, your concerns were valid and actually happened in a thankfully non tragic way'.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Am I The rear end in a top hat for accidentally making my daughter believe her uncle's brightly colored vegan cake was Play-doh and causing the entire family to do arts and crafts with it instead of eating it?

Nobody will ever admit it, but this dude is a family hero. Even if it doesn't taste like Play-doh, it has the same texture. Case closed.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The title alone makes me sound like a complete rear end in a top hat, but please read first. This incident happened two years ago, but my friend still brings it up and even mentioned it yesterday. He says I'm in the wrong for being upset with him but I feel completely justified about feeling the way I did. Just wanted some outside perspective.

First of all I know people can't control seizures. I don't care being around people when they have them, and I've been around this friend when he's gone through many. He used to have around three a day, but would also have periods where he wouldn't have any. Some would be big, some would be very small and pass quickly. Either way, I'd still do stuff with him and go places with him despite knowing things could end poorly and I would have to get him to the hospital. I'm a 120lb girl and he was around 300lbs at the time, so it always made me a little worried because I couldn't move him or hold him back when he would uncontrollably do things.

One day he asks me if I'd like to go to the lake with him. I was a little worried about it cause water and the lake was about 30 minutes from town, but I said yea. He told me to bring my inflatable bed out with me because he wanted to float out in the middle of the lake with me, which is something I used to always do with my best friend. I talked about it enough and he wanted to do it with me. I told him going out into the middle of the lake wasn't a good idea because if he had a seizure I couldn't pull him to shore or even keep him above water. He would drown. He kept saying nothing would happen and that he can tell if a seizure is going to come at least 15 minutes beforehand. He said he gets feelings and warning signs and he would warn me. But he said days when he has seizures he also wakes up and knows if he'll have one at some point. He said he woke up this day and was just positive he wouldn't have one. I was still iffy about this, but I didn't want to control him and act like his mom so I brought my inflatable bed with me to take out on the water. I wasn't planning on going out very far because if he did warn me of one I wanted to be able to get in shore in a minutes time.

Five minutes after we get to the beach and get the inflatable bed ready, he falls into a seizure as if someone just hit a light switch. He fell to the ground, started foaming from the mouth, starting choking, then started rolling around on the beach. I couldn't do anything. He kept trying to get up, would fall, and try to run towards the water. He was completely in another state and I'm too small to do loving anything. Everyone is just sitting around me like nothing is happening but my friend looks like hes dying and he keeps trying to run away from me and I have no control. I was so scared he'd run right into the water and drown.

There was no warning sign like he said. He told me he would be able to warn me. He said he knew for a fact he wouldn't have one that day. I felt so upset because he had to lie to me about these things. He didn't just say "well it could happen". He had to lie to me about how his seizures work just so I wouldn't try to stop him from doing something stupid. I just kept thinking about how if the seizure had waited awhile to kick in he could have died. The next day I expressed how upset I was about what happened and his response was just "it's not my fault". Yea it's not his fault he has seizures, but he could at least not LIE to me and put our lives in danger. That's the most scared I've ever been in my life and I've been through many of his seizures. He's never ever said sorry for lying and I think he owes me an apology rather than "not my fault"

AITA?

I love posts like this where you start out thinking that of course OP is a shithead, and then by the end it is obvious they are in the right. I don't care if they are real or not, it's a nice ride.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

My friends and I have been referring to my vego sausages as crayons for over a decades worth of bbqs.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
"Out yourself as a creepo Wednesday" was a big success, everyone! See you next week!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

therobit posted:

I love posts like this where you start out thinking that of course OP is a shithead, and then by the end it is obvious they are in the right. I don't care if they are real or not, it's a nice ride.

They could have worded it as "my friend lying to me about his seizure risk," though that they didn't doesn't make me think it's a fake or anything.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

HMS Beagle posted:

At least it’s not Warhams.
Warhams kill wallets and free time. The wrong mushroom will flat out kill.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I just figured someone would call fake on it due to the fact that our was a satisfying read. I don't think it's fake, but I wouldn't care if it was.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
She's lucky: At that weight differential, him seizing and flailing on an inflatable bed would probably propel her into the sun

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

Warhams kill wallets and free time. The wrong mushroom will flat out kill.

The boyfriend he sounds like an idiot, and she's pregnant and should avoid anything she isn't sure is 100% safe, but lots of people eat wild mushrooms and not many of them die. You just have to stay away from the ones that have really deadly mushrooms that look like them.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

She's lucky: At that weight differential, him seizing and flailing on an inflatable bed would probably propel her into the sun

That would be some hilarious cartoon poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

therobit posted:

The boyfriend he sounds like an idiot, and she's pregnant and should avoid anything she isn't sure is 100% safe, but lots of people eat wild mushrooms and not many of them die. You just have to stay away from the ones that have really deadly mushrooms that look like them.

The boyfriend is literally refusing to read a book on 'what mushrooms will and won't kill you' and thinks he can rely on Google.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The boyfriend is literally refusing to read a book on 'what mushrooms will and won't kill you' and thinks he can rely on Google.

The fact that she isnt reading wikihow to take out life insurance on other people shows shes just as dumb as him.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

TL;DR: I convinced my daughter the vegan food of her uncle was Play-doh and the whole family just played arts and crafts with it at the dinner table instead of eating what he prepared for us.

It's Play-Doh, except you can eat it? Play with it, then eat it!

And then your child will learn not to eat "Play-Doh" even when the adults trick them into eating it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This thread moves a lot and I haven't read all the posts, but there was a post a few months ago about a kid whose family was giving him the cold shoulder and he didn't understand why except that it must have been something pretty bad. Was there an update to that?

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I still don't understand "won't share food right guy" and how they manage to order 3 mains at a Chinese place when all she seems to want is noodles instead of rice. Like sure they'd probably charge a few extra dollars but what kind of poo poo restaurant won't sub in some noodles?

Now coleslaw is a tricky beast and I'd be pissed if my bf wanted half my mac n cheese if the place had lovely coleslaw.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

This thread moves a lot and I haven't read all the posts, but there was a post a few months ago about a kid whose family was giving him the cold shoulder and he didn't understand why except that it must have been something pretty bad. Was there an update to that?

The one that was something to do with his uncle or his grandpa? I remember that too. Don't think there's been an update, no. It remains a mystery.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Drunk Nerds posted:

this didn't take place in skyrim though

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Who wants tedious overlong drama from someone who is really too old for this!?

i (21F) accidentally set up my cousin (18F) and my crush (18M) and now i feel unloved and jealous

quote:

i want to give good context to this post so if u bother glancing at this longer than five seconds thank u and settle in for a long story.

a family friend (25M) and his cousin (18M) moved in with my family and i about three months ago. family friend lives somewhere else about two hours away for work so he mostly doesn't see us during the week but his cousin, E, found work here locally and has basically become another member of the family. i found E kind of hard to talk to at first bc of cultural differences but we started warming up to each other and i kind of formed a crush on him. i'm three years older than him and i never had a younger sibling and i've been helping him do everything to get settled here and i like taking care of people so i've become kind of protective of him.

everything is going okay but then on Thanksgiving night my older sister is diagnosed with cancer. this hits me harder than anything else ever has and puts me in an even more emotionally unstable state of being. the next day my parents go to visit my sister in the hospital before i get out of work so i come home and only E is there. i do have that crush on him but i was feeling very sad and needy that night which is why i think i asked him for a kiss. we had kind of been jokingly talking about sexual topics and i'm a virgin in every sense of the word but at this point i feel comfortable enough around him so i kind of just go for it. he says that he wants to but doesn't want to disrespect my dad bc he's under his roof, blah blah it's a weird excuse and i don't buy it but whatever we don't kiss and we kind of leave it at that. i kind of skirt around the subject, make jokes about it, and generally just feel kind of confused bc i don't think he could possibly like me (i'm not conventionally attractive or the kind of girl he likes) but sometimes he makes jokes insinuating that he wants me to love him/have sex with him so idk. cut to last Thursday (12/13).

my cousin (18F), N, comes to visit and stay for a bit. we haven't seen other in a while bc she lives two and half hours away and we don't have consistent communication but we get along pretty well. I tell her about the almost kiss with E and how I feel about him. that night N meets E bc some of my family is over and we're just hanging out playing cards etc. They don't really acknowledge each other besides saying hello so I don't think anything of it. Friday night N, E, and i go out to the store, for ice cream, and to play pool. On the way there N pokes fun at how strong E's cologne smells (it's Axe so yeah 💀) but apart from that there isn't really that much interaction between them again. Most of it is due to the fact that E only speaks Spanish and understands some English whereas N knows some Spanish but is self conscious of speaking it so I'm basically translating everything between them this whole time. Leaving the store I make an offhand joke to E that he should go for my cousin N. He replies that he does think she's pretty which i pass along to N but again don't really think much of it myself. On the way to play pool N compliments E's watch which he takes off and says she can wear. I'm a little thrown off bc it's such a silly move but I'm an idiot ignoring warning bells.

At the pool place N and E talk more (with my dumbass being translating intermediary) and exchange nervous, giggly smiles. We exit and N tells E he can drive her truck (which is monumental bc she loves her truck and doesn't even let me drive it so i can tell something is up now). He does so (badly) but the ride home is mostly uneventful. Going to sleep that night i ask her how she feels about E but she doesn't really say much bc she had apparently been reconnecting with an old flame back home. Saturday morning N, E, and i go shopping with my family and again their interactions are just friendly.

We go home and N and i coax E into helping us make cookies. We cut, bake, and ice cookies like some picture perfect xmas card family. After that we go bowling. Again the car ride is uneventful except for E telling us that he's homesick. Nothing stands out at the bowling alley, we're all being goofy and playful with each other although we all kind of settle down towards the end bc E is still sad and N is upset that she doesn't win. Sunday morning I have to work so I'm eating breakfast when E comes in and tells me that the night prior he had been crying thinking about his little sister and how much he misses her. I give him a hug and he tells me not to tell N.

I leave for work and when i come back in the afternoon N tells me that they'd kinda just watched movies all morning with my family. We go out to see the new Spiderman movie. Because I hate myself obviously I ask E at the concession stand while N is in the bathroom if he likes her and he answers vaguely that maybe but he doesn't like being rejected. N comes back so we drop it. In the theater E sits in between N and I. E is paying mostly me attention showing me memes and we're kinda leaning on each other so I'm kinda hurt when like 20ish minutes into the movie he moves away from me and just sits straight.

idk the movie's good so I'm not really paying attention until i realize like 1/3 of movie in that he is now holding hands with N. It's stupid but my heart drops and I'm looking for a way to leave without making a huge scene when my mom calls me to ask us to pick her up from work. I basically run out to answer her call and then go to the bathroom to call our other cousin M and cry to her about the situation. I'm gone for like 20 minutes and when i come back I think they were kissing.

Idk how I make it through the last forty minutes or so without throwing up but I do. N can tell I'm upset but neither of them days anything to me about it so the drive on the way to pick up my mom is awkward and just me playing passive aggressive songs. N asks me if I'm okay, I say no but don't tell her the reason why. N and E don't direct any words to each other the whole time.

Back home N and I keep talking about everything except what just happened. I want her to stop being a coward and bring it up first but she never does. Monday morning I also work so I leave N thinking she'll still be home but when i get back my aunt apparently told her to come home early and I don't get to talk to her in person again. I hangout with my BFF that night and talk to her about this and when i get home E nervously asks me for N's number. I tell him I'll ask N about it.

I go to my room and cry and fall asleep.

Tuesday I avoid going home but I realize i just can't keep ignoring this so I decide to talk to E. I tell him I don't want to be part of any of this mess bc somehow i will end up in trouble/being blamed by N's parents/my parents if anything were to go wrong and I don't want to be forced to pick sides of stuff sours between them. This is all true although it isn't really my reason for refusing to give him her number.

I tell him to leave me out of it and not ask for my help in anything. He agrees and apologizes to me for ever having hurt me. I play dumb like I don't understand what he means bc I don't care to have him thinking he has that much power over me. The rest of week goes kind of fine back to normal.

Which brings us to today. My whole extended family and friends of ours have a party today. N comes again and the cousin, M, I had called crying is also there. We all catch up but nobody addresses anything. I'm tired of avoiding the elephant in the room so I casually tell N if she's ever gonna talk to me about Sunday night. N immediately knows what I'm talking about and says that she didn't want to say anything bc I was upset blah blah blah etc. She confirms that they were kissed that night when i ran out and she tells me that she didn't want to hurt me. I tell her that if she really didn't want to hurt she shouldn't have done anything in the first place.

Needless to say, tonight was a torture experiment for me trying to see how long I could go watching E and N make heart eyes and shy smiles at each other. I told myself it didn't matter that much but it still really hurts to have no one you want ever want you back and to always feel second best. What doesn't help is that all my family who I've told in hopes of recieving advice from have only told me to just move on as if it's as simple as that and they're making me feel like I'm a bitch for being upset that I have to just watch as E and N basically fall in love.

I've been writing and trying to make this story as clear as possible for so long that i don't even remember what I initially came to ask but basically what do y'all think? how do I best handle this situation without being an rear end in a top hat? Because logically I know I love my cousin and E and I want them to be happy but the petty, jealous, vindictive side of me can only wonder when it ever be my turn to be happy. I'm tired of having to put everyone else's feelings into consideration before mine and making theirs a priority over mine because no one ever seems to give a gently caress about me and I'm tired of not being loved, esp tired of not being loved for who I am. I'm just so tired and I'm trying to see if there's any way to come out of this situation somewhat unscathed and with some dignity intact. Thanks for taking the time to read.

TL;DR: my cousin and my crush like each other and i'm really miserable. what do i do?

This woman is three years younger than me but she sounds like she's fifteen.

This actually isn't that good but I spent a lot of time formatting it from the wall of text that it was so I'm posting it. Sunk cost and all.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 3, 2019

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I hope you read every word of that before posting it so at least one person finishes it. That title was tedious enough.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

I don't really know much about seizure disorders but is it normal or even possible to get up and run away in the middle of a seizure?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mill Town posted:

I don't really know much about seizure disorders but is it normal or even possible to get up and run away in the middle of a seizure?

If it was a focal seizure, which can just affect mood, but that's not what people usually refer to when using the term 'seizure' casually. That almost always refers to a generalized seizure, which would make running either impracticality difficult or impossible, depending on the type.

In this case, he might have had a combination of both types. It's fairly common to see them both, usually focal then general.

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 3, 2019

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Mill Town posted:

Yeah, depending on the type, although it can be difficult to tell whether the running is occurring during the seizure itself or as part of the postictal delirium. I have a client who will either try to murder me or gently caress me in that state (and he switches from english to italian for extra comedy points). Fortunately he is wheelchair bound so it is generally easy to get away.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

90 day fiance is such an excellent show. I'd recommend anyone who enjoys reading this thread watch it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Fallom posted:

I have zero respect for the "tradition" of asking permission to marry someone like they're loving property but it's hardly something worth nuking a relationship over. You bridge the gap by doing it and forgetting about it.

I got around this with my Waifu by not so much asking her parents for permission, as I was stating my intention on what I was going to do. Blessing is optional.

I think it was worth it though. It wasn't about their approval, it was about including them on a major life change. I had the same conversation with her best friend for the same reason. She's not their property, but she's not mine either, and it sent the message that I had no intention of taking her away and wanted them to stay in her life. If nothing else, it made my relationship with my inlaws better, which makes my relationship with my waifu better.

e: reading it again though, that's what the guy's trying to do and his gf is saying no. I'm totally on the dude's side on this. I also think he should just suck it up and do it anyway because it's not a hill worth dying on.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 3, 2019

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Gluten Freeman posted:

The one that was something to do with his uncle or his grandpa? I remember that too. Don't think there's been an update, no. It remains a mystery.

Yeah whatever the answer behind that was, nobody had posted anything additional on that account as of a couple of weeks ago when I stumbled across that post again.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Am I The rear end in a top hat for breaking up with my gf because I don't like her way of dressing?

Shades of Pete in this post. :qq: You can't break up with me! I can do whatever I want! :qq:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Strong men seek an equal. Weak men seek a victim.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

Shades of Pete in this post. :qq: You can't break up with me! I can do whatever I want! :qq:

Eh if you think about it from her perspective, her BF of over a year just left her because she started dressing too sexy. He didn't frame it in a controlling way, but it's easy to see it that way (change how you dress or I'm leaving). I think he's kind of an rear end in a top hat for leaving a year+ relationship that quickly/without trying to talk to her about it, but if it's that big of a deal to him then they're just not compatible so it's for the best anyways.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Papa Emeritus III posted:

:corsair: I'm currently on the lawn with you because I am lost as well.

Honestly, apart from SA and a weather website, I am mostly not involved with the internet since it's all morphing into versions of social media and I do not participate in social media. ...not that I have any hang ups on it, I just dont find it interesting.

So, the latest fads don't make it to me. Which is all the better if it's got pro-nazi inflencers getting kids to share nazi butthole symbols.

:corsair: Same here. I ran across an ancient McDonalds happy meal toy and had to have my one of my sons explain to me why it was now a Nazi symbol. :wtc:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

90 day fiance is such an excellent show. I'd recommend anyone who enjoys reading this thread watch it.

It makes me yell at the TV every time it's on.

Every single person on that show is a loving degenerate.

e: Granted a lot of that people on that show are victims. But they're degenerates anyway because it's their dumb fault they were in that position to begin with. They just look better when compared to the losers they're dating (and keep returning to)

Renegret fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 3, 2019

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

therobit posted:

Context also matters. If you are a white dude in prison then a 4 leafed clover means Aryan Brotherhood, but anywhere else it means the luck of the Irish. If you see it out in the world and the are no other indications of white supremacy, you would be a moron to make a big deal out of it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Flannelette posted:

Lots of places have this problem with dental stuff since teeth are magic things that are separate from the rest of medicine somehow.
But you can take advantage of medical tourism pretty easily for teeth stuff.
God yes. My roommate went to Mexico City and got her teeth fixed for ~$300 where they quoted her $1800 here. And she got better care than she had ever gotten in the US.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Ouhei posted:

Eh if you think about it from her perspective, her BF of over a year just left her because she started dressing too sexy. He didn't frame it in a controlling way, but it's easy to see it that way (change how you dress or I'm leaving). I think he's kind of an rear end in a top hat for leaving a year+ relationship that quickly/without trying to talk to her about it, but if it's that big of a deal to him then they're just not compatible so it's for the best anyways.

Uh, from the post he has talked to her about it at least twice and maybe more. She clearly wasn't open to any sort of compromise and didn't care about his feelings, so they should break up. And he did. Good for him! What's the alternative? That they just have stupid fights about it every month until they get sick of each other? At this point even if he got over the obvious trust issues, it would still be a disrespect issue.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Absolutely right about the medical tourism for dental. If your dentist bill is going to be a few K, go to almost anywhere in LatAm and get it for half or less. After airfare and accommodations you will either be at the same amount but get a vacation out of it, or possibly even less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GrandpaPants posted:

I kept an eye on that thread, but nothing.

There were no more posts by that person - well, not using that same account - and nothing which referenced the original title.

I really wanted to know what was going on with that, I really felt sorry for the poor kid.

EDIT: Here's a link to the account which posted the story. No activity since the original.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 3, 2019