Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The judge is who sets the sentence. The AG's office initially indicted and asked for 8 years. Renee Hrivnak was the prosecutor on that case.

Beau Biden defended the prosecutor who worked the case, but wasn't prosecuting it. The only major pedophile case he prosecuted directly was Earl Bradley.

He also specifically defended the judge and sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
So to be clear we have gone from "helped a rich guy get off Scot free" to "defended a very questionable sentence that someone else was responsible for"?

Still an rear end in a top hat but that's quite a shift

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

So to be clear we have gone from "helped a rich guy get off Scot free" to "defended a very questionable sentence that someone else was responsible for"?

Still an rear end in a top hat but that's quite a shift

His subordinate, and he defended the process, the subordinate, the judge and the outcome. Sounds like he was just fine with it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

selec posted:

His subordinate, and he defended the process, the subordinate, the judge and the outcome. Sounds like he was just fine with it.

Yeah but that's different from what you said.

What is the point of lying about the biden boys when they're assholes enough as it is?

Dads already a creepy rapist, you can just stick to the facts.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah but that's different from what you said.

What is the point of lying about the biden boys when they're assholes enough as it is?

Dads already a creepy twist, you can just stick to the facts.

Beau was defending a judge with a history of letting rich rapists and child molesters off:

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/crime/2014/04/03/beau-biden-defends-handling-du-pont-heir-sex-case/7255629/

I think his own disgusting words speak for themselves.

Beau Biden was not a good person.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

selec posted:

Beau was defending a judge with a history of letting rich rapists and child molesters off:

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/crime/2014/04/03/beau-biden-defends-handling-du-pont-heir-sex-case/7255629/

I think his own disgusting words speak for themselves.

Beau Biden was not a good person.

These were the actual words of him defending the prosecutor:

quote:

When a child reports sexual abuse, it is often that child's word against the word of the alleged perpetrator. Authorities who receive reports of abuse ensure that children are interviewed by the Children's Advocacy Center, where an expert questions the child. Often, however, the child has made previous statements to members of his or her family, and frequently those statements differ in some respects. This is particularly true with very young children, who are on the cusp of being capable of relating an event in detail. The younger the child, the less detailed the account is likely to be.

Authorities look for corroborating evidence to support the report of abuse. They search for forensic evidence, such as DNA. They look for medical evidence of abuse. When the abuse occurs on a date prior to the report and investigation, there is rarely forensic evidence available. Moreover, unless the abuse alleged is an act likely to inflict physical injury, evidence of medical trauma is likewise rare.

Therefore, in child sexual abuse cases, the sum total of the evidence is often the word of the child against the word of the alleged perpetrator. The State bears the burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt, the highest standard in our justice system. For the State to meet that burden, the child must testify because a defendant has a Sixth Amendment constitutional right to confront witnesses against him. This means that the child must testify in a sterile courtroom before a room full of strangers.

Before the child can even testify, the court must be satisfied that the child is competent, that is, whether the child knows the difference between right and wrong. This determination is made after the court questions the child.

Assuming the child is deemed competent, the child faces additional trauma by having to recount the abuse in front of the very person who committed it. Trials generally occur several months to a year after the event. All memories fade with time, a child's in particular.

quote:

For these reasons, a prosecutor's decision about whether to take a child sexual abuse case to trial or to resolve it through a negotiated plea requires the striking of a difficult balance. If the case proceeds to trial, and the jury returns a not guilty verdict, this means that the alleged perpetrator will walk away free, with no conditions attached. There will be no punishment. The defendant will not be required to register as a sex offender, will not be supervised by probation and parole, and will not receive sexual offense counseling. Indeed, he is free to resume his life, free to contact the child and to reenter the residence and resume his former life, absent a separate Family Court order to the contrary.

For these reasons, a prosecutor's decision about whether to take a child sexual abuse case to trial or to resolve it through a negotiated plea requires the striking of a difficult balance. If the case proceeds to trial, and the jury returns a not guilty verdict, this means that the alleged perpetrator will walk away free, with no conditions attached. There will be no punishment. The defendant will not be required to register as a sex offender, will not be supervised by probation and parole, and will not receive sexual offense counseling. Indeed, he is free to resume his life, free to contact the child and to reenter the residence and resume his former life, absent a separate Family Court order to the contrary.

All of these considerations were in the mind of the prosecutor assigned to the case of Robert H. Richards IV. This was not a strong case, and a loss at trial was a distinct possibility. The only eyewitness to the crime was the four year old victim. There was no medical or forensic evidence of any kind. The defendant did not make a statement to the police, although he made an ambiguous apology to the victim's mother. A conviction would have required twelve jurors to find unanimously, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the crime had occurred.

In recognition of the weakness of the case, the assigned prosecutor offered a plea and sentence recommendation that guaranteed the defendant would be required to register as a sex offender, participate in court-ordered sex offender rehabilitation therapy and to have no contact with the victim and any other child under the age of sixteen. A loss at trial would have rendered any of these restrictions impossible.

You can think the prosecutor made a bad decision for taking the deal and the judge made a bad decision for giving him a lower sentence than recommended, but that is clearly not "he personally let him off scot free" or "he was fine with it."

You can think and make an argument for why he was a horrible monster who deserved to die young from brain cancer, but you just gotta have the basic information right. Moving the goal posts pretty far when you realized you didn't know the facts and then yelling at people asking you questions isn't really a discussion that anyone can respond to.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

These were the actual words of him defending the prosecutor:

You can think the prosecutor made a bad decision for taking the deal and the judge made a bad decision for giving him a lower sentence than recommended, but that is clearly not "he personally let him off scot free" or "he was fine with it."

You can think and make an argument for why he was a horrible monster who deserved to die young from brain cancer, but you just gotta have the basic information right. Moving the goal posts pretty far when you realized you didn't know the facts and then yelling at people asking you questions isn't really a discussion that anyone can respond to.

Just so we’re clear here, the argument is that the buck stopped somewhere else, despite his position? Because if he’s the supervisor that only makes it worse, not better.

See, to me, this is a great example of why people hate politics. That it’s a complicated process that leads to letting a guy who admitted raping his son off for raping his daughter, but well we followed all the rules and (his actual defense included this) the fact this guy is from a family that treats this state like a fiefdom had nothing to do with it.

Like, spit on me next time! I will feel more respected!

It’s a rich rapist who got off, of course the system has to have a way to explain itself.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

selec posted:

Just so we’re clear here, the argument is that the buck stopped somewhere else, despite his position? Because if he’s the supervisor that only makes it worse, not better.

See, to me, this is a great example of why people hate politics. That it’s a complicated process that leads to letting a guy who admitted raping his son off for raping his daughter, but well we followed all the rules and (his actual defense included this) the fact this guy is from a family that treats this state like a fiefdom had nothing to do with it.

Like, spit on me next time! I will feel more respected!

It’s a rich rapist who got off, of course the system has to have a way to explain itself.

You can think it is bad and explain why. I think there are good arguments you can make in support of that. But, melting down and calling people pedophiles because you had the lawyer, sentence, judge, and quote wrong in your statement and someone corrected you with a link is kind of silly.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

You can think it is bad and explain why. I think there are good arguments you can make in support of that. But, melting down and calling people pedophiles because you had the lawyer, sentence, judge, and quote wrong in your statement and someone corrected you with a link is kind of silly.

Du Pont is 100% a pedophile.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

selec posted:

Du Pont is 100% a pedophile.

Duh, but you are flipping out on posters for correcting you on names and sentences. That was the weird part.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
didn't see this posted, seems like the reason Biden admin got so mad at the saudis was because they inevitably mashed the "betray" button

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1585083805492191232

https://twitter.com/charliespiering/status/1585252168902246406

this makes alot more sense as to why they seemed so pissed off at the decision

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Duh, but you are flipping out on posters for correcting you on names and sentences. That was the weird part.

I’m flipping out (lol) because du Pont is a rapist, Beau Biden knew it, and defended the process that allowed him to get off easy for it, defended the incompetence of his subordinate, defended the hosed up judge, and you are getting real antsy about an org chart.

This country makes a lot of sense when you realize people will go to the mat to defend a system where rich pedophiles must be kept safe from as much harm as possible.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

The judge is who sets the sentence. The AG's office initially indicted and asked for 8 years. Renee Hrivnak was the prosecutor on that case.

Beau Biden defended the prosecutor who worked the case, but wasn't prosecuting it. The only major pedophile case he prosecuted directly was Earl Bradley.

yes. like i said. Beau Biden helped a DuPont heir get off scot-free for raping his children. even gave us all those great quotes about why expecting the state of Delaware to treat a DuPont heir admitting to raping his children as worthy of anything more than a fine would have been haaaaard :(

your assistance in describing the precise manner in which he helped a DuPont heir get off, scot-free, for raping his children, is appreciated. it doesn't appear to add anything to the discussion, admittedly, but evidently you believe it changes those facts in some way, and I look forward to learning how

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A big flaming stink posted:

didn't see this posted, seems like the reason Biden admin got so mad at the saudis was because they inevitably mashed the "betray" button

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1585083805492191232

https://twitter.com/charliespiering/status/1585252168902246406

this makes alot more sense as to why they seemed so pissed off at the decision

I saw this when the NYT first put it up and it is kind of a strange story.

Biden got played, but I also don't really understand why the Saudis were promising that they had struck a deal and then went and pressured all the other OPEC+ countries to not just violate the deal, but do the opposite of the deal. Seems like it is just being in a dick in private for no real gain.

Even the experts quoted in the article say that most people in Saudi Arabia and the U.S. have no idea why they did it.

quote:

“Deconstructing Saudi decision-making right now is like Kremlinology on steroids,” said Hussein Ibish, a scholar at the Arab Gulf States Institute in Washington. “It’s become a matter of a relative handful of people around the king and the crown prince.”

“Even the most well-informed people in the United States often don’t know,” he added.

Such a bizarre situation.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Did Beau Biden ever come out and say this was a huge miscarriage of justice and the judge who let the rapist off scot free isn't fit for office?

Because this "well, gee, the system is sometimes flawed and well, things just happen, can't do anything about it" isn't something an ethical person says in the wake of an outcome like that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I saw this when the NYT first put it up and it is kind of a strange story.

Biden got played, but I also don't really understand why the Saudis were promising that they had struck a deal and then went and pressured all the other OPEC+ countries to not just violate the deal, but do the opposite of the deal. Seems like it is just being in a dick in private for no real gain.

Even the experts quoted in the article say that most people in Saudi Arabia and the U.S. have no idea why they did it.

Such a bizarre situation.
I really don't think it's that bizarre. MBS wants the GOP back in power. He's met privately with Jared Kushner multiple times since Trump left office.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really don't think it's that bizarre. MBS wants the GOP back in power. He's met privately with Jared Kushner multiple times since Trump left office.

Yeah, but you can help the GOP get back in power without doing all the weird pre-pro of promising a deal in secret and going out of your way to piss people off for no benefit to yourself. The Saudis are usually pretty ruthlessly straightforward about doing what they do to get what they want. They usually aren't self-sabotaging themselves for secret owns that nobody is ever going to know about.

Maybe it is an MBS personality thing like some of the people in the article speculate, but they kind of say that they don't know the logic behind it either. They could have just pressured OPEC+ for the cuts without doing any of the other stuff.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Comedy Trump actually was giving MBS top secret nuclear info and now MBS is mad option

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They've observed Democrats enough to figure that going all Lucy with the football is a completely valid strategy.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They've observed Democrats enough to figure that going all Lucy with the football is a completely valid strategy.

It’s dominance politics. When you know you can make someone bend the knee, and stunt about things they know you did to them and they can’t do anything about it, it’s just smart to remind them once in a while.

See:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...oronto-skyline/

They know we know what they did, and they know we will never do anything to punish them for it. They have us over an oil barrel and they are enjoying it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Remember when Kanye West opened his new series of private schools called "Donda Academy"?

I said that it would be an interesting disaster in a year or two.

I was very wrong. They are now shutting down the school and putting the construction of new academies on hold after only two months of classes.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1585563553846726657

quote:

Kanye West’s school Donda Academy closes as controversy grows

Parents whose children attend Kanye West’s school in southern California have been told it has closed with immediate effect as the controversy surrounding the rapper over his antisemitic comments continues to snowball.

In an email viewed by The Times, Jason Angell, the principal of Donda Academy, said that “at the discretion of our founder, Donda Academy will close for the remainder of the 2022-2023 school year effective immediately”.

“There is no school tomorrow [Thursday],” the email adds.

Donda Academy, which is named after West’s late mother, charges $15,000 a year and requires parents to sign non-disclosure agreements to prevent leaks. Its exact location in Simi Valley is a closely guarded secret. Students wear uniforms made by the luxury fashion design house Balenciaga.

The NFL players who were coaching the sports program have also quit.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1585039258586267650

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Beau Biden laid out a pretty good case, good for him for standing up for the correct decision by the prosecutor.

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 27, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Before his most recent comments there was a big article about the school and it seemed really bizarre. Like they didn’t have any accreditation but they were attracting at least some qualified people to teach there. It was pretty clear though that when you are forcing parents to sign NDAs on top of these massive costs to attend that this was going to go under sooner rather than later

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

How does Kanye West have any credibility with anyone anymore? The guy is obviously a mentally unstable clown.

The Trumpy crowd is just going to convince him to bankroll one money losing wingnut venture after another, like purchasing Parler, until his money is all gone. Is the guy even producing any music or anything else that people are actually buying anynmore?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Before his most recent comments there was a big article about the school and it seemed really bizarre. Like they didn’t have any accreditation but they were attracting at least some qualified people to teach there. It was pretty clear though that when you are forcing parents to sign NDAs on top of these massive costs to attend that this was going to go under sooner rather than later

I enjoy that the contract gave the school the power to unilaterally cancel a school year for its own convenience

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Remember when Kanye West opened his new series of private schools called "Donda Academy"?

I said that it would be an interesting disaster in a year or two.

I was very wrong. They are now shutting down the school and putting the construction of new academies on hold after only two months of classes.

Sounds like if refunds aren't issued, you'll be seeing those NDAs being broken.

Also, feels like there's blood in the water around Ye, but not sure if it's the whole antisemitism or if his money is drying up.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

How does Kanye West have any credibility with anyone anymore? The guy is obviously a mentally unstable clown.

The Trumpy crowd is just going to convince him to bankroll one money losing wingnut venture after another, like purchasing Parler, until his money is all gone. Is the guy even producing any music or anything else that people are actually buying anynmore?

Fascists love tokens

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Zwabu posted:

I think at this point he actually finally doesn't have credibility, though I could eat crow later on. Even MTG and Tucker Carlson know you can't go full antisemite without at least feigning an apology. I'm not sure there are any bridges left to burn.

To answer your other question, he's still been releasing music pretty regularly. He had an album in 2021 that was unbearably long (partially because it included multiple versions of tracks almost like a "deluxe edition" but right from the get-go and with no discernible structure), but relatively well-received, at least compared to the train wreck people expected. He also released an album last year but nobody heard it because it was only available as some limited edition physical gadget. But his star has been gradually falling for years with a faithful remnant hanging on despite his craziness... That may finally be over for good, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sir Lemming posted:

He also released an album last year but nobody heard it because it was only available as some limited edition physical gadget.

It was a really amazingly bizarre concept and product and absolutely emblematic of someone who has managed to banish all dissenting voices from his personal and professional life and then lost his mind.

quote:

Both practically and conceptually, the Stem Player is like a parody of what’s hailed as smart in the visionary-disruptor circles that West admires—the musical version of the Juicero or Elon Musk’s subway for cars. Once you get past the novelty of being able to remix your favorite music, you arrive at the bigger question: Why would you want to? Mixing music is an art in itself, a painstaking process that has been the labor of talented professionals since the dawn of multitrack recording. I can pretty much guarantee that one reason you love the music you do is because it was mixed by someone who is very good at mixing music. Kanye West, a famously exacting artist notorious for obsessing over the mixing of his own albums, is surely well aware of this. In some ways, I understand his idea to make this experience available to his fans, but expecting people to pay $200 for the opportunity to ruin their favorite music is a steep ask.

https://slate.com/culture/2022/03/kanye-west-donda-2-album-review-stem-player.html

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1585039258586267650

This is really pedantic but Jaylen Brown is a basketball player, not NFL.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

Posting a tweet and incorrectly repeating the info on it that you can see is his gimmick, it's why he calls himself Lying Leon.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mooseontheloose posted:

Yes, should have said NFL and NBA players.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Posting a tweet and incorrectly repeating the info on it that you can see is his gimmick, it's why he calls himself Lying Leon.

Please contribute something in addition to white noise and posting about posters.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Kanye is like "mental illness is not your fault but it is your responsibility".txt bullhorned out at 2 zillion decibels daily

Compounding the issue is that bipolar mania really likes to let you fly your underlying abusive/narcissistic tendency flags loud and proud, and he's doing the full vexillology run on that one since whenever he decided he too cool and creative and inspirational to have to take his meds like a plebe

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
please excuse the posting about posters, but I dont have PMs. Could you please elaborate on the reason for this probe so that any repeat infractions can be avoided?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

yes. like i said. Beau Biden helped a DuPont heir get off scot-free for raping his children. even gave us all those great quotes about why expecting the state of Delaware to treat a DuPont heir admitting to raping his children as worthy of anything more than a fine would have been haaaaard :(

your assistance in describing the precise manner in which he helped a DuPont heir get off, scot-free, for raping his children, is appreciated. it doesn't appear to add anything to the discussion, admittedly, but evidently you believe it changes those facts in some way, and I look forward to learning how

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zwabu posted:

"they're just proving him right by banning him!!"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Staluigi posted:

Kanye is like "mental illness is not your fault but it is your responsibility".txt bullhorned out at 2 zillion decibels daily

Compounding the issue is that bipolar mania really likes to let you fly your underlying abusive/narcissistic tendency flags loud and proud, and he's doing the full vexillology run on that one since whenever he decided he too cool and creative and inspirational to have to take his meds like a plebe

It's a good example of the outsized influence money can bring you. If Kanye didn't have money his life would be another sad statistic but because he has all this money and influence he's both a sad statistic whos mental break puts a lot of people at risk due to how much influence he has. And he's really just some dude compared to someone like Musk who gives us all the same thing, everyone being on edge because someone with an insane amount of money is obviously disconnected from reality and is using that money to do really crazy things.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

FlamingLiberal posted:

The 'corruption' Hunter Biden was maybe involved with is the tamest poo poo compared to anything the Trump kids did on a daily basis for 4 years

two words: Jared Kushner

I cannot stand the fact that ethics committees have pretty much no power.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

ManBoyChef posted:

two words: Jared Kushner

I cannot stand the fact that ethics committees have pretty much no power.

I personally consider Hunter's corruption to only be important because it's an example of why someone like Jared or the Trump kids will never see any consequences. If a bunch of politicians have kids and relatives with a little corruption on their hands you're never going to convince them to go after the people with a lot of their hands because they know it could still harm those they care about. Hunter doesn't matter and his corruption is laughable in the big picture of what's going on but it's still a good example of why it's not as simple as "Why don't the good guys lock up the evil and corrupt Trump's?"

Or to put it another way, I don't really care about the fact that Hunter does drugs but I do think you can easily see how his drug use has impacted Joe Biden's policy goals throughout his long career and that part of it matters.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 27, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gumball Gumption posted:

I personally consider Hunter's corruption to only be important because it's an example of why someone like Jared or the Trump kids will never see any consequences. If a bunch of politicians have kids and relatives with a little corruption on their hands you're never going to convince them to go after the people with a lot of their hands because they know it could still harm those they care about. Hunter doesn't matter and his corruption is laughable in the big picture of what's going on but it's still a good example of why it's not as simple as "Why don't the good guys lock up the evil and corrupt Trump's?"

The main difference is that Kushner and Ivanka were raking in significant amounts of public money. That is generally the issue people are upset about (and an actual crime).

Nobody is really calling for Meghan McCain to be investigated because she got a TV show, book deal, and speaking circuit gig because of her dad. Since ABC's daytime TV division can do whatever it wants with its money.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Kanye Donda Est

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The main difference is that Kushner and Ivanka were raking in significant amounts of public money. That is generally the issue people are upset about (and an actual crime).

Nobody is really calling for Meghan McCain to be investigated because she got a TV show, book deal, and speaking circuit gig because of her dad. Since ABC's daytime TV division can do whatever it wants with its money.

I'm more saying Hunter is a part of the low level corruption and nepotism of relatives and friends of high level government officials that is well documented and considered generally part of doing business. That culture existing is one of the things that's in the way of bringing charges against the Trump's because it will end up in a lot of things being aired out.

The drug thing is tangential but I think adds to my point that while the crimes don't matter in the big picture the personal effect having a corrupt relative can have on a politician and how that ends up influencing them does matter.