Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
*being dragged away by the constabulary* officers, you don't understand! that woman's dog conceals the sword that will save us all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Lunacid is really good. I cleared out the Accursed Tomb (at least I think I did. There might be more stuff in the mausoleum but I'm scared to go back in there) and found Vampire Hunter D's sword. Now I'm in some sort of blood ocean. I also found a VHS tape that I assumed was a cutesy reference to Paratropic but there's a bunch of tapes on the main menu so maybe it's more significant than I know yet.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Crowetron posted:

Lunacid is really good. I cleared out the Accursed Tomb (at least I think I did. There might be more stuff in the mausoleum but I'm scared to go back in there) and found Vampire Hunter D's sword. Now I'm in some sort of blood ocean. I also found a VHS tape that I assumed was a cutesy reference to Paratropic but there's a bunch of tapes on the main menu so maybe it's more significant than I know yet.

i'm only an hour or so in and found a tape near the temple of silence (i assume that's what the place full of mummies is) but i have no idea what it is

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

Is this legit or what? Have they changed the recruitment options/limits?

There's a Cheat Engine table that lets you change party members. I added Ashton to an empty slot after recruiting Opera normally and he still gets his PAs/appears in cutscenes. The game seems to only factor if the character is in your party at all for PAs.

Ashton and Opera have some of the same early PAs: Arlia's accessory shop and the dropped Hankerchief one.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What bugs me is that they've redone the mechanics, the portraits, the backgrounds, the music, the spell animations, why are the character sprites still the same.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

YggiDee posted:

What bugs me is that they've redone the mechanics, the portraits, the backgrounds, the music, the spell animations, why are the character sprites still the same.

Raw unfiltered sprites are in vogue for some reason

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

i'm only an hour or so in and found a tape near the temple of silence (i assume that's what the place full of mummies is) but i have no idea what it is

Oh man, there's multiple? I gotta backtrack and be more thorough snooping for secrets.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

YggiDee posted:

Don't fix what ain't broke.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Hm, I missed the Sprite's Bracelet in that port town. I have a save about two hours back (did the forest and went and got Ashton); is that item really that important or can I just move on

Overbite posted:

So is it normal in SO2 in the forest of child kidnapping to die instantly to unavoidable wizard beams? Unless I am moving horizontally the exact instant it casts I just die and I can't do anything about it. I've restarted this battle at least 4 times and I can kill the casters pretty easily but theres too many of them and I just get hit with a beam mid attack.

Try to be moving forward (or I guess backwards) as often as you can in straight lines rather than diagonally when you start seeing some spells go off. Their Tazmanian Devil-wind attack doesn't really hurt that much if it runs into you, the main thing is the ground explosion spell.

Dias went from full health to dead in less than a second because the AI stood still at the wrong time.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 4, 2023

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

YggiDee posted:

It bugs me that they didn't do a new English dub, I get why First Departure R didn't bother but this is a full remake.

MechaX posted:

Hm, I missed the Sprite's Bracelet in that port town. I have a save about two hours back (did the forest and went and got Ashton); is that item really that important or can I just move on

You can just move on.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MechaX posted:

There's better versions later on, just move on

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Crowetron posted:

Oh man, there's multiple? I gotta backtrack and be more thorough snooping for secrets.

you uh, are not supposed to be able to get the one you got before the other one, unless you're referring to the same one they got

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Leraika posted:

Must-haves:
Sprite's Bracelet - This right here is the reason you get pickpocketing ASAP. Enter a PA in Kurik and listen to the lady with the unique portrait (!!!) prophesying doom and gloom for the town. Then steal from her. Wearing it (any character is fine) will cause you to randomly gain items as you go, just like the Survival skill now does. It's also a unique item, and this is the only time you can grab one.
Goodie Box: An old man in Marze has this one, no PA needed. You will probably need to savescum, though.) You can get these through Art reasonably easily, so up to you if you want to grab this one. It does come up as a must-steal fairly often, though.
Magic Gumdrop: More for completionism than anything else, since the only consistent way of getting it is in the bonus dungeon... or at least that was the case in the PS1 version. A pink-haired girl in Krosse's town square has it.

QoL/poo poo you're getting ahead of the curve:
Orihalcon: Snag this one off the dog in Krosse's square.
Rainbow Diamond/Earring of the Winds: Elmyra (the lovey-dovey newlywed lady) in Arlia
Magic Cross: the pink-haired girl in Arlia's church
Keen Kitchen Knife: The first house you can enter in Salva has a lady cooking dinner for her son; steal it off her. It's less necessary now that item creation success chance is so high but you'll want it anyway for when you're cooking the really rare ingredients.
Princess Ring: It's a nice early-game MP boost for your casters. Grab it off Princess Rozaria in Kross Castle.
The innkeeper in Salva and some thugs in Harley's bar have forged items you can steal; you may want to do this if you don't want to make them yourself with Forgery. But if you're ok with stealing, you're probably ok with that too.
Ring of Happiness/Ring of Sadness: Pair these for useful effects! A couple of npcs have Ring of Sadness: Eleanor in Harley (the bedridden little girl) is the easiest steal, I think. The Ring of Happiness is owned by one of the two people staying in Herile's inn.
Faerie Tear from the elder in Marze

To add to this for the QOL/breaking the curve section:

If you are Claude, steal a battlesuit from a bridge crew on the Calnus.
If you recruited Ernest, you can find him in two different PAs in different towns and he has a battlesuit each time.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

hubris.height posted:

ashton or opera

Well you need Opera in order to get Ernest... so get Ashton

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly gonna have to reevaluate characters based on how good their Break options are - I fear Opera's Tracking Plasma/Healing Star loadout isn't going to cut it this time.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I've had good results with Rena's Crush at max hasten speech

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What party members are good to aim for in SO2 if I don't care as much about gameplay (since it sounds like you can become strong regardless of who's in your party) and mainly just want to get "the ones who are the most interesting"? I'll be playing with Claude.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

YggiDee posted:

Smh so hard at this post

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

What party members are good to aim for in SO2 if I don't care as much about gameplay (since it sounds like you can become strong regardless of who's in your party) and mainly just want to get "the ones who are the most interesting"? I'll be playing with Claude.

claude is a one man army

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

"Interesting" is sort of loaded because none of the characters in this PS1 game really live up their potential, but the girl characters tend to be a bit more quirky, both in terms of their personalities and their weapon choices.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I would seriously consider skipping the game if you don't care about gameplay. If it's more that you're not concerned about gameplay just pick on aesthetics and don't set your aim too high, yeah.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

TurnipFritter posted:

"Interesting" is sort of loaded because none of the characters in this PS1 game really live up their potential, but the girl characters tend to be a bit more quirky, both in terms of their personalities and their weapon choices.

Ashton is right there, you know??

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

To add to this for the QOL/breaking the curve section:

If you are Claude, steal a battlesuit from a bridge crew on the Calnus.
If you recruited Ernest, you can find him in two different PAs in different towns and he has a battlesuit each time.
I was specifically doing first continent only, but yeah.

This might be because I have been spending my time opening goodie boxes and fishing but we all find ways to amuse ourselves.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... Do they still have pear into peaches and craud has advanced forward?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

pixel bitches posted:

Smh so hard at this post

Ashton's blue dragon shouldn't be pink and if that makes me a communist or whatever then lock me up.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Well, I beat SO2R, and even went through the post-game dungeon, and now I kinda wish I could choose New Game+ to not carry over levels.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
SO2R's "gives you a random item" items were not kidding in how random they are. I might have just gotten Rena's ultimate weapons from one go, and I'm not that far into the game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Cyflan posted:

Well, I beat SO2R, and even went through the post-game dungeon, and now I kinda wish I could choose New Game+ to not carry over levels.

That was quick

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

pixel bitches posted:

That was quick

Yeah, I spent the past 2 days doing basically nothing but playing the game.
Though helps that it isn't that long of a game, especially with fast travel being a thing now.

Edit: Oh, and what did I think of it? Stellar.
Definitely the definitive version of Star Ocean 2.

Cyflan fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 4, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I'm about 15 hours in and only just discovered the fast travel it's insane.

Though tbf I had played almost the entirety of so1r before I realised there was a run button :smugmrgw:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rascyc posted:

I would seriously consider skipping the game if you don't care about gameplay. If it's more that you're not concerned about gameplay just pick on aesthetics and don't set your aim too high, yeah.

I do care about gameplay, but not to the extent of wanting to choose party members on the basis of who is Optimal.

I'm also fine with characters being tropes, as long as they're entertaining tropes. Melodrama is also good and welcome. The more melodrama the better.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Just realized you can craft and dupe level-up medals that can take you up to 100. What level is the normal final boss?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gyoru posted:

claude is a one man army

As opposed to cliff who is a one man wrecking crew

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

pixel bitches posted:

I'm about 15 hours in and only just discovered the fast travel it's insane.

How did you miss that? The game literally stops to tell you about it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Neeksy posted:

How did you miss that? The game literally stops to tell you about it.

I suffer from Acute Tutorial Pop-up Blindness :(

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Just realized you can craft and dupe level-up medals that can take you up to 100. What level is the normal final boss?

My team was around 90-100 when I reached the final boss. (Without using the medals)

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The medals are best-used when you're in late-game anyway. Training + Enlightenment already give you a decent enough boost. And if you're smart about crafting, leveling up is only part of your strategy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heck you can just use Formations that give you a shitload of bonus exp and money.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

As opposed to cliff who is a one man wrecking crew

You know if I wasn't stuck with Fayt/Cliff/Nel for like 70% of the game, I'd replay SO3 and actually level up Maria this time

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Smashed through a nice leisurely 25ish hour Universe playthrough. Still one of the GOATs for nostalgia reasons.
The dialogue in this version of the game seems kinda dry, though. Last time I played through it was in Japanese on ps4 like 6 or 7 years ago. The script could have used some sprucing up, but I guess they wanted to reuse the voice acting to cut down on production.

Nothing gave me too much trouble, making ample use of the IC. The fact that you can instant retry battles and even make adjustments to gear/etc makes it pretty easy to deal with getting instantly wiped when you gently caress up or get bad RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So just making sure, is there no way to make party members avoid attacks? This boss does an AOE instant kill and kills everyone I'm not controlling all at the same time because they won't move away from it.