Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Grandia 1 also has horrendous voice acting. 2 is a clear winner in that way.

Also, if you can stomach SO2, SO3 is fun in the same ignore the plot type way. 4 is a trainwreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If you're gonna play a Tri-Ace game for the story make it Valkyrie Profile.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Well, since you're comparing it to Grandia 1, I have to try it out. I mentioned in a few pages ago how I thought Grandia 1 was better than Grandia 2 for it's tone, 2 became more serious and lost the magic and charm.

Yeah, it is of course still a ~mysterious past~ and ~save the world~ story, but a lot of the game is just traveling around with your new adventure pals and hanging out doing dumb stuff together - there's even an amusement park!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Has anybody played Secrets of Grindea?
http://www.secretsofgrindea.com/

It's still in beta but it looks great. It's like an evolution of Secret of Mana.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

evolution of Secret of Mana.

Sold. Time to try the demo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's still in beta but it looks great. It's like an evolution of Secret of Mana.

Friend and I played the demo ages back and had an absolute blast, especially the Gauntlet-y mode.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's okay, but they still need to address their netcode, and they really need to fix it. Hit detection is all host-side, so if you're a client, be prepared to get hit when nobody is near you and die when you think you're completely safe. There are also bullet hell bosses that, as far as I can tell, still track every individual bullet... and when you have like 200 shots on screen at once, I don't care how small your x-y tracker is, that's a lot of data to send to even one client. Expect to lag out a lot even if your host has Google Fiber.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is gonna change. As in ever. It's obvious that "ultra hardcore"-style gameplay is a core part of their design philosophy. I hope you have a really low ping, because your perfect block? Doesn't count unless the host thinks it counts, on his screen.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

It's okay, but they still need to address their netcode, and they really need to fix it. Hit detection is all host-side, so if you're a client, be prepared to get hit when nobody is near you and die when you think you're completely safe. There are also bullet hell bosses that, as far as I can tell, still track every individual bullet... and when you have like 200 shots on screen at once, I don't care how small your x-y tracker is, that's a lot of data to send to even one client. Expect to lag out a lot even if your host has Google Fiber.

Weird, I was playing from Sydney to San Diego and didn't have that much of an issue.

Granted, I am Bad At Video Game (tm) so I probably wrote deaths off as my own fault :v:

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Aww that's sad. Game is pretty fun, had a blast trying out some summoning build. It sucks for arcade though

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Friend and I played the demo ages back and had an absolute blast, especially the Gauntlet-y mode.

Is the coop in the story mode as well?

The White Dragon posted:

Unfortunately, I don't think this is gonna change. As in ever. It's obvious that "ultra hardcore"-style gameplay is a core part of their design philosophy. I hope you have a really low ping, because your perfect block? Doesn't count unless the host thinks it counts, on his screen.

How active is the online? Also do you know if the demo mode has online play?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 1, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

punk rebel ecks posted:

How active is the online? Also do you know if the demo mode has online play?
Yeah, co-op story. I don't think there's really an online community per se. I only play with my buddies, but it's Terraria-style lobbies: you have to know your host's IP (and, optionally, game password) to connect. We were looking forward to it since we heard about the game in 2012, though, so we skipped any demos and just bought it, so I don't have the knowledge to help you in regards to the demo version.

We have about ~120ms ping and I run into a lot of trouble with it. When we bring in a third (albeit all the way from Germany), we start to desync pretty badly even without a lot happening on-screen. It's rough because, as I said, everything is host side. If you're hosting, though, you shouldn't have any problems at all :v:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Well I played the demo of Secrets of Grindea. The game was enjoyable, but it sort of had that "indie game" feel to it that a lot of indie games had a few years ago.

I can definitely imagine paying $10 for it though when its complete.

EDIT - Is Popful Mail worth playing? How does it compare to other Falcom games?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 1, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

EDIT - Is Popful Mail worth playing? How does it compare to other Falcom games?

The Sega CD version is quite good and fun and completely goofy stupid in that fun Slayers sorta way. Just uhh..feel free to use savestates liberally because Working Designs hosed around with the difficulty in a bad way, as they tended to do.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Seriously gently caress Working Designs for altering the games in the way they did. I have to give them props for going the extra mile back in the day when no one cared but the difficulty tweaking in Popful Mail is unnecessary and terrible. It's an enjoyable Wonder Boy style game nearly ruined by either enemies having way too much health or they do stupid amounts of damage. I wish there was a patch that applied the Japanese numbers or something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think it was Silhouette Mirage where they increased the 'difficulty' just by giving bosses twice as much health. They may have done the same to Alundra or the bosses in that may always have been an unfun slog with way too much health.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

So that's the tradition Capcom followed when they localized Chaos Legion.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And the fourth Onimusha game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Konami took the opposite approach in the 16-bit era and decided that removing all your health and lives was the proper way to balance things. In Rocket Knight Adventures, America's "children" was Japan's normal and our "normal" was their "very hard" which wasn't even unlocked until after beating the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, they did the same thing to Contra: Hard Corps which had a health system in Japan but changed to the usual 'one hit = death' from other Contra games for the western release, which is where its reputation for being ungodly difficult comes from.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
The American version of 7th Saga nerfed your character so much that beating one of the potential PCs in a fight could be near-impossible.

The Japanese version, meanwhile, is an enjoyable romp that requires very little grinding, if any. It's fairly easy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I like Working Designs, but yeah loving seriously the difficulty stuff is uuugh. Having to spend Magic EXP to save in Lunar 2 was bad but the real killer was Exile: Wicked Phenomenon. They hosed around with some values, made the game almost unwinnable and whatever division Telenet had working on it didn't have the time to do another attempt and send a proof back over to the US so they were nearly screwed until they figured out you could skip some rooms by letting yourself get hit in the back and get pushed forward or something and just told everyone to do that.

Goddammit, Vic Ireland.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I have to wonder what the thought was there. Trying to make their games seem more HARDCORE? Because if they were going that route, you'd think the translation would have tons of swears and such, not lame puns and references to Full House.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Endorph posted:

I have to wonder what the thought was there. Trying to make their games seem more HARDCORE? Because if they were going that route, you'd think the translation would have tons of swears and such, not lame puns and references to Full House.

In the case of Exile 3, they just hosed everything up at the last minute by accident and didn't notice.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

Publishers sometimes seem to think that players of certain types of games expect them to be super hardcore difficulty so you get stuff like Capcom bumping all the difficulty levels in the original version Devil May Cry 3 up one so that 'normal' is now 'easy' and 'hard' is 'normal'.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

dis astranagant posted:

If you're gonna play a Tri-Ace game for the story make it Valkyrie Profile.

Hey, it's the person that recommended I try Nier, my favorite RPG that I've played in the last 10 years. A game I recommend to others all the time now. Valkyrie Profile it is.

My backlog is expanding exponentially.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I wish Square would put VP on PSN, because original PS1 copies have inflated prices and I don't own a PSP to play the remake.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

PSP emulates really well now with PPSSPP.

VP2's battle system is odd though. I've put it down after test-playing it for about 4 hours, went back to that save a few months later, and got my rear end kicked by every single encounter. There's so much crap to take care of in every battle and I forgot all of it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Publishers sometimes seem to think that players of certain types of games expect them to be super hardcore difficulty so you get stuff like Capcom bumping all the difficulty levels in the original version Devil May Cry 3 up one so that 'normal' is now 'easy' and 'hard' is 'normal'.

In Konami's case it was about combating rentals which weren't really a thing in Japan. I don't know what everyone's excuse was beyond the early rental years, maybe to squeeze the last bit of strategy guide juice out before the internet killed that market.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

kirbysuperstar posted:

Having to spend Magic EXP to save in Lunar 2 was bad

When did you have to do this?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

whaley posted:

When did you have to do this?

The Sega CD version. Magic EXP doesn't exist at all on the PSX version.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Sakurazuka posted:

In some cases there was the idea that Americans (or the West in general) wanted tougher action games than Japan does, kind of the opposite of how RPGs were sometimes made easier for the West in the early days. Some non-Japanese action games were made easier when ported to Japan, like Battletoads.

No idea why Working Designs wanted to make RPGs harder, but then that wasn't a company known for sound business decisions.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Are the Lunar Sega CD games better than the Playstation versions in anyway?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

punk rebel ecks posted:

The PSX version doesn't have this shredding intro music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je7Ie8QWF1s

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

Erebus posted:

The PSX version doesn't have this shredding intro music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je7Ie8QWF1s

That almost made me want to replay it.

How is the PSX version compared to the Sega CD one?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Hey, it's the person that recommended I try Nier, my favorite RPG that I've played in the last 10 years. A game I recommend to others all the time now. Valkyrie Profile it is.

My backlog is expanding exponentially.
Play with a guide available or you won't be seeing much story. :v: The mechanics of that game are obtuse as hell sometimes, and getting the true ending without a guide is goddamn impossible.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

You will get an ending anyway, and reading about the exploits of your ex-party members can be fun sometimes.

What you really need to know eventually in a blind VP run is that Bloodbane is optional. Never before have I seen a boss that basically expects your entire party to master the art of surviving after death.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes and no. The Playstation version has enemies on screen (similar to Earthbound) while the SCD version has random encounters. You'd think that was a plus for the PS1 version but Lunar is a game heavily dependent on your level. The PS1 version always felt harder to me, maybe because WD tweaked it even further or possibly because you fight so much in the SCD version that you're never hurting for cash and experience. And even though the SCD version has random battles it's not that long. Maybe 10 hours yet I remember playing double that on Complete.

The plot shares the same structure but some elements are completely different. Like in the original Luna doesn't come with you on the boat and a few scenes are radically altered. Lunar is such a weird series because it was followed by three other games (Complete, Legend, and Harmony) that aren't so much remakes as they are retellings of the same story. It's a shame WD couldn't get the PC version off the ground.

If you have no love for 16-bit RPGs then Complete is the way to go but I think all the Lunar games are interesting enough to warrant at least some of your time. Not Dragon Song, though. gently caress Dragon Song.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 1, 2015

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

This conversation is dangerously close to falling into a "gently caress Working Designs" conversation again. :P

But yeah I'll definitely try out Popful Mail sometime.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I found that, while playing Lunar 1 the temptation to avoid combat was really strong- and because of that it was all too easy to be underpowered. That was what happened on my first playthrough many years ago, I must have skipped as many fights as I could because I was way underpowered at the final boss. About a month ago I reloaded the old save in an attempt to finish it off, and I was so weak that regular enemies were a real threat to me. Random battles suck, there's no way around it, but they serve a useful purpose.

And I'm surprised by all of the hate for Working Design, I always thought they were well liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Working Designs were amazing at the time, but with the benefit of hindsight and actually good translations that don't need to use cheap punchlines as a crutch, it's easy to see where they faltered. I still don't think they're the worst ever, but none of what they did would really be acceptable these days.