Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

My favorite part was when people got super mad they had the sheer audacity to hire a female community manager or whatever the gently caress she was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

TetsuoTW posted:

My favorite part was when people got super mad they had the sheer audacity to hire a female community manager or whatever the gently caress she was.
Community manager AND a designer. Also it wasn't that she was female, it was that she was a feminist. That's the thing that really drove them crazy. "Hidden agendas" and all that

edit: is it just me or does this kind of tinfoil hat stuff always come out of Kickstarter videogame projects?

edit 2: Also, she said she "wasn't a Megaman fan", so that's bad, because reasons. After all, if you've never played a Megaman game, why are you part of this team that's making the game? Don't you know that if you want to make a Mario game/clone you absolutely have to be a fan of Mario? You can't just do it as your job at Nintendo, that's ridiculous.

Cheez has a new favorite as of 12:54 on Jun 22, 2016

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Cheez posted:

Also it wasn't that she was female, it was that she was a feminist.
Same crime to that kind of special idiot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cheez posted:

edit 2: Also, she said she "wasn't a Megaman fan", so that's bad, because reasons. After all, if you've never played a Megaman game, why are you part of this team that's making the game? Don't you know that if you want to make a Mario game/clone you absolutely have to be a fan of Mario? You can't just do it as your job at Nintendo, that's ridiculous.

What's the point of pretending you don't understand why people would be annoyed about something like this? What do you gain from acting like you just don't get it? I cannot comprehend why people do this poo poo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

You don't have to be a fan of [thing] to work on [thing] when it comes to media, and in a lot of contexts it's harmful and leads to incestuous, rote, and myopic work.

Miyazaki's rant about the state of anime is a pretty good articulation of the concept.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

CJacobs posted:

What's the point of pretending you don't understand why people would be annoyed about something like this? What do you gain from acting like you just don't get it? I cannot comprehend why people do this poo poo.

If that is truly such a problem that annoys people, then a lot of people are going to have to be really annoyed at a lot of things...

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

CJacobs posted:

It's a super childish understanding of how things work in general and also is loving stupid.

So I guess actually it makes perfect sense why "gamers" would feel that way.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

iirc she stated that in context of talking about playing through the series so she was willing to learn about megaman even though it wasn't necessary in the least for her job.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Maluco Marinero posted:

I reckon riding that thing like a pedal bike would be real hard going.

This is from a few pages back but I went to a local expo recently where they had electrjc bikes on display and they were so heavy the pedals might has well been there for show. Electric bicycles are dumb as hell.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Her problem was that she was terrible at her job, reacting with childish belligerence to investors' complaints or even when they didn't agree with her on certain things. It just so happened that she wrapped up her bad personality and lack of professionalism with her politics, which causes a lot of people to reflexively defend her for it, even to this day.

I don't know if she was actually a designer, though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Mentioning the female community manager is like using a Rush Coil, only instead of summoning a cool robot dog sidekick it summons a grimacing neckbeard with an encyclopedic knowledge of the life of a person they've never met and strong opinions on an industry they've never worked in.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Command Ant posted:

Her problem was that she was terrible at her job, reacting with childish belligerence to investors' complaints or even when they didn't agree with her on certain things. It just so happened that she wrapped up her bad personality and lack of professionalism with her politics, which causes a lot of people to reflexively defend her for it, even to this day.

True, except kickstarter backers are not investors. They are just rubes who give money to random people.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

You are the very thing that you are complaining about and you can't see it.

Paladinus posted:

True, except kickstarter backers are not investors. They are just rubes who give money to random people.

But you said they weren't investors. :confused:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Command Ant posted:

But you said they weren't investors. :confused:

There is a legal difference. For example, there are random idiots who buy jpegs of space ships in Star Citizen and it's all they are entitled to, but there are also idiots who gave Chris Roberts thousands of dollars and signed an agreement that entitles them to a share of Star Citizen profits (but not from space ship jpegs sales, because lol, the game is not released yet). Both groups are clueless idiots who deserve ridicule, though, so I can see how it's hard to tell them apart.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Paladinus posted:

There is a legal difference. For example, there are random idiots who buy jpegs of space ships in Star Citizen and it's all they are entitled to, but there are also idiots who gave Chris Roberts thousands of dollars and signed an agreement that entitles them to a share of Star Citizen profits (but not from space ship jpegs sales, because lol, the game is not released yet). Both groups are clueless idiots who deserve ridicule, though, so I can see how it's hard to tell them apart.

It was a few pages ago, but people were mad that Oculus didn't share their profits once they were bought by facebook. That'd simply showing that KS isn't about investing, just about pre ordering a product that may or may not come to exist.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Otisburg posted:

The State of Anime

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anime of the State

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Command Ant posted:

lol

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I admit I didn't really pay attention to the drama around the hiring of the female but what I did hear about it was that she was a girl who only got the job because she was married to someone on the dev team and she didn't like megaman and she drew a picture of megaman as a girl or something. Nothing about her professionalism or things she actually did in her job role. They were in an uproar long before she even had a chance to do anything. Maybe she turned out to suck I dunno but that wasn't the problem to start with.

I also vaguely remember a girl MN9 winning one of the submit a fan drawing later but that was probably drawn by a dude so that would be ok.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Non Serviam posted:

It was a few pages ago, but people were mad that Oculus didn't share their profits once they were bought by facebook. That'd simply showing that KS isn't about investing, just about pre ordering a product that may or may not come to exist.

KS and Indiegogo are about donating money to an idea guy and anyone who spent money there thinking they were ordering a product deserves to be separated from it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I remember MN9 saying they were pushing out their dates because of multiplayer, is it actually a thing?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
The reason for the delay is rooted in bugs inside the network modes, and specifically problems with matchmaking. There are two large reasons for this problem, one of them being the large number of platforms supported (the solution for each platform is slightly different) and the other stems from the fact that the engine we are using is no longer being updated which means adjustments for matchmaking and online code are being made manually (actually reprogramming parts of the engine by the dev team themselves).

This was the reason they gave about the 3rd delay I think it was?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

"The female"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

monster on a stick posted:

I remember MN9 saying they were pushing out their dates because of multiplayer, is it actually a thing?

There's a few co-op modes that feel really tacked on. The only real 'multiplayer' is a 2 player race mode, not sure why that requires matchmaking. The whole idea of multiplayer for this kinda game is pretty misguided, but was probably a stretch goal or something.

Again though the game really isn't that bad.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

TetsuoTW posted:

"The female"
:thejoke:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Those people are beyond parody.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
To count as an "investor," you should at least be carrying a briefcase. It's in the bylaws.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I'm somebody who backed Mighty No. 9 on Kickstarter. I don't really feel I'm owed anything more than I got, but I also got something that I would not have otherwise paid $20 for. It doesn't feel like a game that took 3 years to make, and definitely doesn't feel like a game made by a company headed by an industry vet. It comes off like playing an alpha build. I gave Mighty No. 9 the benefit of the doubt a lot, knowing it was a new company and everything, but they seem to have spent so much time and effort on franchising that they didn't have the resources to make the game itself live up to anything. I wasn't part of the community, though, so none of that type of stuff affected me in any way. I can't imagine being bent out of shape over a community manager being a woman who "wasn't a Mega Man fan".

I want to say this and Massive Chalice have jaded me completely from Kickstater video games, but Hyper Light Drifter turn out pretty well, and I've got 2 or 3 other unreleased ones that still at least look promising.

e: I'm also still a little jaded that my choice for Call design didn't get picked, but whatever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I dunno it seems like a pretty great value for $20 to me. If they were charging $60 I'd understand the complaints more, but $20? That's indie title territory. Tons of super poo poo or very simple games out there for $20.

And Inafune is a designer, not a programmer or an artist. So saying the game should look way better because it has an industry veteran... IDK. He's starting up a new indie studio, that's how its going to go. He had to hire tons of new employees. Games aren't made by a single person.

As for the whole "a game that took 3 years to make" games are tons of work, and if it costs $20 I don't see why 3 years really matters.

Tons of gamers act like the more time that goes before something comes out, the better quality they're owed, and that's just not really how it works. Like, everybody talking about Half-Life 3 says that it could never possibly live up to expectations, because its been so long. I mean, HL2 was great, so expectations for HL3 would also be great because of that pedigree, but why does how long it took before the next game mean it has to be super duper good? That doesn't make sense to me. Its not like Valve has been working on it all along either, they've been busy with other titles. And yet everybody acts like they're owed a god-game since Valve hasn't released a Half-life in a decade. Its a very bizarre sort of entitlement.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno it seems like a pretty great value for $20 to me. If they were charging $60 I'd understand the complaints more, but $20? That's indie title territory. Tons of super poo poo or very simple games out there for $20.
I'm not really sure why you think this is an argument? Yes there's lovely games for $20 doesn't mean I'd be happy paying for those either.

quote:

And Inafune is a designer, not a programmer or an artist. So saying the game should look way better because it has an industry veteran... IDK. He's starting up a new indie studio, that's how its going to go. He had to hire tons of new employees. Games aren't made by a single person.
When you put up concept art that's way way better and instead of developing around your strongest platform and downgrading to serve other platforms you just make everything look bad that's a mistake. Yes it's an honest mistake but as the consumer it was a terrible decision that is rightfully pissing off people that thought they were promised better.

quote:

As for the whole "a game that took 3 years to make" games are tons of work, and if it costs $20 I don't see why 3 years really matters.
In theory I agree that it shouldn't matter how long it takes to roll out but it's a platformer for gods sake. Pillars took about three years and unless MN9 has 1000 stages all that development time was wasted on all the cross platform overpromising they did. Not actually making and polishing the game.

quote:

Tons of gamers act like the more time that goes before something comes out, the better quality they're owed, and that's just not really how it works. Like, everybody talking about Half-Life 3 says that it could never possibly live up to expectations, because its been so long. I mean, HL2 was great, so expectations for HL3 would also be great because of that pedigree, but why does how long it took before the next game mean it has to be super duper good? That doesn't make sense to me. Its not like Valve has been working on it all along either, they've been busy with other titles. And yet everybody acts like they're owed a god-game since Valve hasn't released a Half-life in a decade. Its a very bizarre sort of entitlement.
I think you're overstating how much people care about the time it took to make. The reaction I've mostly seen is 'this is really mediocre. How did it take three years to make this?' not 'It took three years it's going to be awesome! Oh wait it's not I'm angry now!'

Edit: to add to the last point every single game kickstarter I've followed has been delayed repeatedly. None of them had this level of backlash once the games were out. People moaned about the delay but didn't care once they had it. The fact that it comes up shows that the game really isn't all that great or even passable.

Darkhold has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Jun 22, 2016

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
If a game is not fun overall then it's a bad game, and it's not "entitled" to expect as much, regardless of how much it costs or what was involved or what the average quality bar is.

SupSuper has a new favorite as of 17:51 on Jun 22, 2016

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I know game development isn't done overnight, but MN9 was originally promised to be out by April of last year, and got pushed by 3 different times, I think. I know that Comcept is a new indie company, and that this is probably Inafune's first go at anything beyond design, so they probably really underestimated the time it would take to get the game and all of the stretch goals going in time.

I'm not angry or anything, and I don't feel like the owe me any sort of compensation or anything. I'm not gonna go writing angry letters to Inafune or spamming the Comcept Facebook page. I got what I was promised for what I paid. I'm just disappointed in the final product, is all.

e: I think some of the vitriol comes from the face that they made (I think) ~$4 million after PayPal backers, which I'm pretty sure is well beyond what most indie studios are working with.

SpacePig has a new favorite as of 17:51 on Jun 22, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The walk animation really bothers me

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

unpacked robinhood posted:

It looks even worse when you have the speed-up powerup active.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

At least Shantae's looking on track.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Looking at Shantae's rack.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SupSuper posted:

If a game is not fun overall then it's a bad game, and it's not "entitled" to expect as much, regardless of how much it costs or what was involved or what the average quality bar is.

I'm having fun :shrug: I think its a little ugly, likely because they were so busy with all the platforms, but its definitely fun.

SpacePig posted:

e: I think some of the vitriol comes from the face that they made (I think) ~$4 million after PayPal backers, which I'm pretty sure is well beyond what most indie studios are working with.

Actually you'd be surprised. Just paying 10 developers a basic salary for 4 years easily blows through 4 million. And that's not factoring in advertising, stretch goals, production, kickstarter's cut of the money, etc.

Inafune said during an interview that people keep mentioning the $4M but the budget at the end was really more like half that. Lots of hidden charges and fees.

Games are just crazy expensive to make.

unpacked robinhood posted:

Agreed, but just dash all the time and then you don't have to see it :cheeky:

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Jun 22, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SpacePig posted:

4 million is what the first kickstarter made. It also had a second kickstarter and PayPal donations on top of that and they were also getting support from two different publishers.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Otisburg posted:

You don't have to be a fan of [thing] to work on [thing] when it comes to media, and in a lot of contexts it's harmful and leads to incestuous, rote, and myopic work.

Miyazaki's rant about the state of anime is a pretty good articulation of the concept.

Which rings a bit hollow because he keeps working with Hideaki Anno (an old school otaku and creator of like, the #1 otaku bait series ever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KiteAuraan posted:

Which rings a bit hollow because he keeps working with Hideaki Anno (an old school otaku and creator of like, the #1 otaku bait series ever).

You got me all confused thinking there were some Ghibli films I must not know about or Anno must have had a role in something I didn't know about... but nope.

They made a couple short films together and Anno voiced one character in Wind Rises. That's the sum of their working relationship. He hasn't had anything to do with the actual production of any feature length Ghibli film. That's a pretty weak argument.