Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

This was maybe not the writers' intent but if warp ten is infinite it's impossible for any logarithmic scale to actually reflect warp speeds. It's also not incredibly clear what higher decimals on 9.9 would mean (other than "faster when you're already going crazy fast") at that point because nine represents some finite speed and, to rip off a handy Carl Sagan soundbite, any finite number is exactly as far away from infinity as one is.

So, they might've been operating on a loose heuristic, such that we're meant to assume logarithms, but in practice anything they nailed down would just be arbitrary and wouldn't set a precedent for yet higher decimals.

Basically my point here is we're thinking about this more than they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
It'd just be asymptotic, not logarithmic.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Anyway I watched Symbiosis and Skin of Evil. The heavy-handed 80s/90s anti-drug message in Symbiosis was nostalgic and there was a lot of stupid poo poo in the episode (like how at the end Picard says they'll never know what effect their actions would have even though they could come back and visit anytime). Skin of Evil, the one where Tasha Yar dies, was just bizarre. The way the villain was so evil yet so pitiable reminded me of Caliborn in a bad way. And they didn't seem sad enough at the funeral. Also she was just tossed aside like a rag doll when she was supposed to be this security expert, she really should have had a better death.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This will always be the Star Trek theme as far as I'm concerned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjxNnqTcHhg

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SomeMathGuy posted:

This was maybe not the writers' intent but if warp ten is infinite it's impossible for any logarithmic scale to actually reflect warp speeds. It's also not incredibly clear what higher decimals on 9.9 would mean (other than "faster when you're already going crazy fast") at that point because nine represents some finite speed and, to rip off a handy Carl Sagan soundbite, any finite number is exactly as far away from infinity as one is.

So, they might've been operating on a loose heuristic, such that we're meant to assume logarithms, but in practice anything they nailed down would just be arbitrary and wouldn't set a precedent for yet higher decimals.

Basically my point here is we're thinking about this more than they were.

No one ever said it was a logarithm, just that the curve is drawn on a log scale. Here's a high-res re-creation of the graph from the old TNG tech manual:

A quote about its creation:

Mike Okuda posted:

Between 9 and 10, I gradually increased the exponent so that it approached infinity as the warp factor approached 10. Lacking knowledge of calculus, I just drew what looked to me to be a credible curve on graph paper, then pulled the points from there.

Source.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It's kinda vaguely similar to transmission gearing. You can be doing 50 km/h at 4500 rpm in first gear or at 3000 rpm in second gear or at 2000 rpm in third gear, but in order to be in third gear you have to accelerate the engine and shift gears as you work your way up.

That's my rear end-pull and I'm sticking to it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

spincube posted:

I think there was the wrinkle that the 'warp scale' is exponential, so Warp 9.999995 might actually be significantly faster than 9.999994, but good luck communicating that in a clear and memorable way on broadcast TV.

Good. The scale was made this way so writers would stop trying to one-up each other.

"and they the ship flew away at WARP 36!"

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 24, 2017

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

and then they went to warp 13 anyway

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

cheetah7071 posted:

Was it just a fan theory that each whole-number warp factor was supposed to represent some sort of physical breakpoint?

Yes

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Then in Voyager, they can technobabble their way out of all problems. They just need to invert the polarity and send a condensed tachyon pulse from the deflector dish and that'll solve the problem!

No mention of vertarons, chronotons, quantums, subspace, isodynes, holomatrices, warp plasma, biomemetic gel, or engrams.

4/10, needs improvement.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Warp Particles!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zesty posted:

Good. The scale was made this way so writers would stop trying to one-up each other.

"and they the ship flew away at WARP 36!"

A problem better solved by an out of universe writer's guide, since it didn't stop them from trying to oneup each other, just made it stupider when they did.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Tunicate posted:

A problem better solved by an out of universe writer's guide, since it didn't stop them from trying to oneup each other, just made it stupider when they did.

I assume they went to 9.9, 9.99, 9.999 etc.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.
Actually, I think you'll find Warp 10 is when the acid you dropped finally kicks in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9pY4hNo3oI

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Powered Descent posted:

No one ever said it was a logarithm, just that the curve is drawn on a log scale. Here's a high-res re-creation of the graph from the old TNG tech manual:

A quote about its creation:

Source.

Now, see, I can respect that, in the sense of having the unenviable task of making such a weird metric fit a curve.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Duckbag posted:

I still think The Trial of Captain Janeway would have been the best possible ending. I'm a sucker for stories where adventurers have to explain their insane experiences to normal people and I think really digging into all the things that crew went through together could have been great and the perfect opportunity for a little earned emotion and real character development.

Make it a three parter. First part, they steal transwarp and go. Cliffhanger. Part two, they make it to Earth and the trial starts. Voyager crew show up as witnesses, but the prosecutor keeps challenging them on things and the judge seems hostile. Then, oh no, the Borg followed them! Cliffhanger. Part three, Voyager is pressed into service, Janeway makes a big speech, and the crew uses the skills and knowledge they got in the Delta Quadrant to save the day. They go back to Earth, the judge makes a big speech, charges are dropped, and Voyager's crew meets one last time before going their separate ways. The End.

Woulda been nice...

When does Mulva come in to testify that Janeway still can't remember her real name.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In one of the recent Voyager Relaunch books some of Voyager's Delta Quadrant adversaries put Janeway on trial

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

When does Mulva come in to testify that Janeway still can't remember her real name.

It was me. I'm the one who liked the Seinfeld finale.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The Bloop posted:

That reason is because of all the science Trek doesn't even bother to try to get right, DNA is the worst offender by at least one significant warp figure

Gammatron 64 posted:

Branon Braga got a D- in Biology class, I use this episode and the one where Barclay turns into a spider as proof

Lord Hydronium posted:

Between Threshold, Genesis, The Chase, Dear Doctor, Distant Origin, and a few others I'm probably forgetting, I think the balance of evidence shows that evolution is deterministic in the Star Trek universe. :v:

No joke, Star Trek is 100% the reason I made a "Biology is Science Too!" panel for the sff convention I work.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This will always be the Star Trek theme as far as I'm concerned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjxNnqTcHhg

God, I love that song. You don't want to know how many versions I have on my hard drive. Actually, even I don't know, just that it plays between my ears, whenever I close my eyes, forever...

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

and then they went to warp 13 anyway
Warp 13, an odd number of nacelles on the Ent-D refit, and probably some other things I'm forgetting, were things they intentionally put in All Good Things just to mess with the mega-nerds, knowing regular fans wouldn't even notice anything wrong.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I assume they went to 9.9, 9.99, 9.999 etc.
Voyager's max speed was said in the premiere to be warp 9.975. So the DS9 tech manual said the Defiant's max speed was 9.98.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Pieces of Peace posted:

Actually, I think you'll find Warp 10 is when the acid you dropped finally kicks in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9pY4hNo3oI

Fire the rogertroutman

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2j3ff_star-trek-le-rogertroutman_creation

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ok

I do like STIV's take that any of these warp-capable ships could go back in time if only their commanders had balls of steel.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Wouldn't occupying every point in the universe simultaneously destroy all life instantly?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

hiddenriverninja posted:

Wouldn't occupying every point in the universe simultaneously destroy all life instantly?

Which I assumed was illustrate how inane the idea of moving at warp 10 would be.

It's a logarithm. Always approaching the line but you can't actually reach it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

Only if you weren't also simultaneously not in those points.

:pseudo:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dont even fink about it posted:

ok

I do like STIV's take that any of these warp-capable ships could go back in time if only their commanders had balls of steel.

Star Trek 4 was referencing TOS Tomorrow is Yesterday and Assignment: Earth

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watching Conspiracy and Geordi laughing is the best thing that's happened in the series so far.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh cool they're going to a planet with extreme day/night temperature difference like in Chronicles of Riddick.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Oh cool they're going to a planet with extreme day/night temperature difference like in Chronicles of Riddick.

... nevermind.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Anyway I watched Symbiosis and Skin of Evil. The heavy-handed 80s/90s anti-drug message in Symbiosis was nostalgic and there was a lot of stupid poo poo in the episode (like how at the end Picard says they'll never know what effect their actions would have even though they could come back and visit anytime). Skin of Evil, the one where Tasha Yar dies, was just bizarre. The way the villain was so evil yet so pitiable reminded me of Caliborn in a bad way. And they didn't seem sad enough at the funeral. Also she was just tossed aside like a rag doll when she was supposed to be this security expert, she really should have had a better death.

We are so used to seeing grand, godlike villains in Trek, but Armus was just kind of a malevolent loser taking it out on everybody else. I liked that aspect of it. Similarly, most deaths in Trek (excluding redshirts) are heroic and meaningful; so Tasha's random and wasteful death also was a change of pace that I welcomed; more like the kind of poo poo that really happens to people with dangerous careers in the real world.

As I recall, Roddenberry didn't think TNG-era humans (or at least a Starfleet crew) would fear death or have a "primitive" emotional reaction to it. I think that influenced the scene you are talking about.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wow the fistfight between Riker and the possessed admiral has genuinely some of the worst choreography I've ever seen. It's like a parody.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

what the gently caress

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jeb! Repetition posted:

what the gently caress

I love how everyone in this thread is going to know exactly what you're referring to, just from the context of knowing you're watching Conspiracy.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Jeb! Repetition posted:

what the gently caress

Yep.

Some really great Star Trek isn't it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

what the gently caress

I've always wanted to know how much it took to bribe the censors

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm more curious how this whole episode didn't end up on the cutting room floor.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The whole thing does read like a description of a lost WTF episode

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Someone looks at the assembly and just starts screaming.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

hiddenriverninja posted:

Alright, that's bad. Important safety tip, thanks Egon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'm more curious how this whole episode didn't end up on the cutting room floor.

I suspect one of two things happened. Either they weren't expecting to last much longer so they went full out to see what would happen, or they knew that the syndication deal meant the money was in and would be contractually coming in for at least a couple years so they went full out to see what would happen.

The result is we got a WTF episode that was more than likely the goriest thing seen on primetime television since Budd Dwyer a year and a half before.