Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Kokoro Wish posted:

Honestly, I was worried they'd use something akin to the Reincarnation version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-sjAqB-twc

A much better song but doesn't fit the vibe in gameplay :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The difference between the game version and the Reincarnation version of Deep Breath is so funny.

Like Deep Breath became a better person as well as a better song.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Re: RetroArch, no one mentioned its extremely snappy controls. Despite its inscruitable design and asshat devs, I still use it because its input lag is very minimal for software emulators. Well, for most cores. Saturn is a bit of a mess. Anyway, input lag drives me up the wall and 'Arch is the only multi-system solution that offers the following to combat it:

- Hard GPU Sync for OpenGL, or better yet...
- Vulkan renderer, which is very fast and inherently has less overhead than both ogl and dx (swapchain # should be as low as it can go, for me it's 2)
- Automatic Frame Delay (higher is better)
- True fullscreen mode (which bypasses Windows' always-on triple buffer)
- USB polling options (I use "late")
- Run-ahead (looks weird so I only use 1 frame of it when it's supported)

Alternatively, you could just turn off vsync but I also can't stand screen tearing. RetroArch, when properly configured, gives input repsonse really close to real hardware + CRT with Vsync on. Run-ahead can even give less lag than original hardware, in certain instances. And that's not to mention other benefits already stated, such as CHD support, shader config (crt-easymode :love:), Flycast, etc. BizHawk is cool but it's laggy as gently caress and I won't go back to it until they address that (and make it easier to install).

All the 'Arch's criticisms are valid, bash away, but it's not useless if you have the patience to figure it out.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 2, 2024

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Ofecks posted:

Re: RetroArch, no one mentioned its extremely snappy controls. Despite its inscruitable design and asshat devs, I still use it because it's input lag is very minimal for software emulators. Well, for most cores. Saturn is a bit of a mess. Anyway, input lag drives me up the wall and 'Arch is the only multi-system solution that offers the following to combat it:

- Hard GPU Sync for OpenGL, or better yet...
- Vulkan renderer, which is very fast and inherently has less overhead than both ogl and dx (swapchain # should be as low as it can go, for me it's 2)
- Automatic Frame Delay (higher is better)
- True fullscreen mode (which bypasses Windows' always-on triple buffer)
- USB polling options (I use "late")
- Run-ahead (looks weird so I only use 1 frame of it when it's supported)

Alternatively, you could just turn off vsync but I also can't stand screen tearing. RetroArch, when properly configured, gives input repsonse really close to real hardware + CRT with Vsync on. Run-ahead can even give less lag than original hardware, in certain instances. And that's not to mention other benefits already stated, such as CHD support, shader config (crt-easymode :love:), Flycast, etc. BizHawk is cool but it's laggy as gently caress and I won't go back to it until they address that (and make it easier to install).

All the 'Arch's criticisms are valid, bash away, but it's not useless if you have the patience to figure it out.

Yes, this is also why I use RetroArch. I play a PC-98 game at an elite level, and there's just no other solution that combines decent save states with low input lag. I don't use runahead, since it's cheating if you're playing competitively (though knock yourself out if you aren't, obviously), but even without that it's ideal. It's unfortunate because it does seem like a toxic organization.

e: I could get a real PC-98 (and have thought about it) but of course I'd be playing on the emulator for practice regardless

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

claw game handjob posted:

Most of (all of? haven't covered the whole franchise myself) the Disgaea games break things down like this.

Huh, I guess that kinda counts. I've played 4 of the Disgaea games (The main stories of them at least) but I've never really thought of them as the same type of game because you don't really have to scout out better units like you do in Peace Walker and so on. You just upgrade Disgaea units to the next tier of the same class and their letter ranks upgrade. Or you do item world stuff to upgrade them directly, either or.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

:pray:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

They need to hire back Soraya Saga first.

She had a Twitter asking for work a few months back so...here's hoping. Although asking on Twitter for a job seems like a bad sign.

EDIT:

Also

quote:

https://twitter.com/sorayasaga/status/1631615614140960769?s=20

嵯峨 空哉 (@sorayasaga)
Hey, who wants me to write?

Twitter•03/03/2023 5:20 AM

I shared this in a discord server almost a year ago and when I went to look for it again, it was deleted. I wonder that might mean. Unless it's because it's X now instead of twitter? I dunno how any of this works.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 2, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

saga did contribute some art to xb2 and i doubt shes been completely uninvolved on the xenoblade games in general even if she isnt credited.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
trying to mop up the last high difficulty levels of cave noire and this is... not good lol. game is really cool but i absolutely recommend if you ever play it do not bother with the higher levels of orbs and fairies. the hard levels of the monster and coins dungeons are fun but orbs and fairies become a turbo slog, it just doesn't have enough going on gameplay-wise to make how quickly you eat poo poo for really arbitrary reasons fun

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I have no idea what I'm doing in the Granblue game, I can't keep track of my combos but it always looks both very cool and also extremely flashy so I can't help but love it.

I've only played a miniscule amount of Monster Hunter World before eventually dropping it but I'm surprised how much the game resembles it with the online connectivity option and giving you hunts to target. Also I might be dumb but I can't figure out a way to swap characters in battle.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You don't

You can swap them in the menu outside of combat though

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I used ZSNES because I could get it and a couple of ROMs on a floppy disc

Me and a buddy used to look forward to new releases of that, even though we generally either didn't see or understand any of the changes we got.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I'm still on the fence; now that it's been out a few days, I was wondering how people here who've played Relink feel about the game.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

FireWorksWell posted:

I'm still on the fence; now that it's been out a few days, I was wondering how people here who've played Relink feel about the game.

It's great!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/6li9eq.mp4

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

FireWorksWell posted:

I'm still pretty early but so far I think it's awesome.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

that's some good gb sound, dang

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

FireWorksWell posted:

It's pretty drat fun so far! In short:

- Solid art style and combat
- Lots of characters to unlock with unique playstyles
- Lots of skills to unlock for each character
- Various weapons to unlock and level per character, further customized by sigils and imbuements
- Online/Offline missions (Monster Hunter hub-style) pop up throughout the game. No idea how many will be available once the main story is complete. Completing the story also unlocks harder modes.
- Hitting level cap opens more goodies for further customization. Sounds like you can get wild with power growth.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Thanks all, appreciate the responses! The clips of combat I've seen in here looked great, but hearing it gets pretty deep for character customization is definitely what I needed. Think it'll be my next game after I wrap Infinite Wealth up.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
XERD NO DENSETSU is incredible. extremely mechanically barebones gameboy rpg but it has really good spritework and music and it opens with a whole extended bit where you have to get a passport to get through the mountains, but when you go to the priest to receive it he's like "i'm sorry. a strange man took it." so when you find the guy who stole it at an inn in the town up north and beat him up you have a conversation that goes like

him: "ugh... please let me go! i need this passport to meet my lover! i treasure her! she is my life!"
you: "i can't trust your words..."
him: "fine... then i'll just kill myself right here!"
you: "gah! fine, i'll take you along with me!"

and this is how you get your second party member.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
for some reason this game also literally cannot be played on a gameboy color or gameboy advance. it crashes instantly if you try.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ragequit posted:

It's pretty drat fun so far! In short:

- Solid art style and combat
- Lots of characters to unlock with unique playstyles
- Lots of skills to unlock for each character
- Various weapons to unlock and level per character, further customized by sigils and imbuements
- Online/Offline missions (Monster Hunter hub-style) pop up throughout the game. No idea how many will be available once the main story is complete. Completing the story also unlocks harder modes.
- Hitting level cap opens more goodies for further customization. Sounds like you can get wild with power growth.

This is cool to hear. I was kinda interested in checking the game out, but I had no idea how much of it was an RPG vs a hunting game or how good it was. How's the story? For that matter, how much story is there? In a MonHun there's generally very little story, but obviously this isn't exactly one of those.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Playing Super Mario RPG and boy I wish the remake had stolen the "turn off all the button prompts" from Yaklad 7 and 8.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

This is cool to hear. I was kinda interested in checking the game out, but I had no idea how much of it was an RPG vs a hunting game or how good it was. How's the story? For that matter, how much story is there? In a MonHun there's generally very little story, but obviously this isn't exactly one of those.

there's a main story mode with a lot of cutscenes but its about 15-20 hours long. its pretty decent though it starts kinda slow.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Barudak posted:

Playing Super Mario RPG and boy I wish the remake had stolen the "turn off all the button prompts" from Yaklad 7 and 8.

why are you playing a mario rpg if you don't want button prompts. that's literally the primary defining gimmick

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

why are you playing a mario rpg if you don't want button prompts. that's literally the primary defining gimmick

Excuse me, the primary defining gimmick is demanding Geno in Smash.

Im helping a young family member through it while Im on vacation.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

I think he means overworld UI, honestly it never bothered me so I didn’t notice despite getting to the last postgame fight so I couldn’t say for sure thought

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

It's neat, but I have no idea what I'm doing having dropped into the quests system. Much like every game I play, I cannot see myself retaining interest in it after I beat the story to actually delve into the combat with no plot to accompany it. The main reason I still play Genshin is because the whole thing's got a 'And stay tuned for more!' feeling to it as new areas are being made.

I didn't really look at any trailers for some reason, so I was surprised how it played but for some reason I don't really know what I was expecting. I guess simple like a Dynasty Warriors where everyone plays basically the same but your combos work differently, but no it's more like everyone has their own unique properties they need to exploit to get more damage out of their abilities. Like Narmaya has a perfect charge and stance swapping and Charlotte just spams her basic attack and then hits triangle as far as I can tell? Seems neat, I'll wait for a sale, I've got Blue Reflection 2, Like a Dragon: Ishin! and Gaiden to finish first anyway.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Colonel posted:

XERD NO DENSETSU is incredible. extremely mechanically barebones gameboy rpg but it has really good spritework and music and it opens with a whole extended bit where you have to get a passport to get through the mountains, but when you go to the priest to receive it he's like "i'm sorry. a strange man took it." so when you find the guy who stole it at an inn in the town up north and beat him up you have a conversation that goes like

him: "ugh... please let me go! i need this passport to meet my lover! i treasure her! she is my life!"
you: "i can't trust your words..."
him: "fine... then i'll just kill myself right here!"
you: "gah! fine, i'll take you along with me!"

and this is how you get your second party member.

Supposedly it's a parody or at least mainly comedic kinda game. Interesting, given the detail and effort put into parts of it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
"mostly kinda comedic" is, sorta underselling how weird xerd gets. it's like. absurdist.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not sure there's another gameboy rpg famous for the fact that the plot involves how in your search for the reincarnation of the great hero, xerd, eventually you find yourself in a village getting married to a woman and you have a son together. this son is the reincarnation of xerd. then you use magic to make your son into an adult, so that xerd can fight the ultimate evil.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FireWorksWell posted:

It’s awesome! Buy it!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I said come in! posted:

It’s awesome! Buy it!

I've got it downloading, definitely looking forward to it after IW. Gonna be a great month

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/kyffee.mp4

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

FireWorksWell posted:

I've got it downloading, definitely looking forward to it after IW. Gonna be a great month

Considering how much game IW is, I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready to move on to the next thing it will be on sale, even if it's not a super deep discount

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Colonel posted:

i'm not sure there's another gameboy rpg famous for the fact that the plot involves how in your search for the reincarnation of the great hero, xerd, eventually you find yourself in a village getting married to a woman and you have a son together. this son is the reincarnation of xerd. then you use magic to make your son into an adult, so that xerd can fight the ultimate evil.

I can't believe Dragon Quest is a rip off of Xerd No Densetsu.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Based on the demo, I've decided that Granblue Fantasy Relink is good and I'm going to purchase it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/NfZtjL0.mp4

Relink is pretty good imo

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The Colonel posted:

for some reason this game also literally cannot be played on a gameboy color or gameboy advance. it crashes instantly if you try.

I got curious and looked it up, and apparently the reason is that it relies on a hardware bug in how interrupts are processed that was fixed in later revisions. That and Road Rash are the two known games that depend on the buggy behaviour.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'll wait for a sale before pulling the trigger on Persona 3. I just remembered a good chunk of the s-links are intolerable. Namely, that fat bastard nobody likes.