Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

retroarch lets you undo save states and roll back to the previous one you overwrote. however retroarch's developers are shitheads

What's the deal there?

I found RetroArch absolutely impenetrable to use anyway but curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've had no issue with RetroArch myself for anything up to the PS1, I tried BizHawk at one point but it didn't want to cooperate.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Word on the street is that many people upset with RetroArch have taken to calling it "RetroArchnemesis".

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

No Dignity posted:

What's the deal there?

they're insanely disrespectful and hostile to a lot of the developers of the emulation cores that retroarch/libretro depends on, while collecting crowdfunding and keeping it all for themselves

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i guess you don't have a choice on mobile but you absolutely want to avoid retroarch on pc cause the way it handles save data is a nightmare. i use it for saturn cause there's no other good frontend for mednafen that supports chd files but it makes multidiscs games an ordeal to play compared to standalone duckstation for ps1 stuff

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's kinda wild imo that emulation was relatively simple to just pick up and play if you knew how to use a PC at all for ages and then they came along and made it wrird and obtuse with loads of moving parts and arcane load errors and people just ate it up because ???

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

RareAcumen posted:

Communist stands out here, I can't imagine how that one works and now I'm intrigued.

it's a melee-damage class that focuses on cheap and powerful attacks, boosts, and status healing, with only a small, insignificant chance of getting one of the various Communist Debuffs (hits to your various stats with names like Rationing and Party Purge). At later levels, you get to make Communist Power Armor and The Bomb (which should be aimed very, very far away from yourself)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

No Dignity posted:

What's the deal there?

they bullied Near and they bullied Duckstation, they're shitheads

unfortunately if you have a retro handheld like Retroid, Anbernic, it's all routed through RetroArch so you don't have much choice. but if you're on PC there's no reason to use it over Bizhawk or anything else

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

No Dignity posted:

It's kinda wild imo that emulation was relatively simple to just pick up and play if you knew how to use a PC at all for ages and then they came along and made it wrird and obtuse with loads of moving parts and arcane load errors and people just ate it up because ???

i think we're moving away on desktop at least because there's no actual benefits to using retroarch for most things anymore. the only things it's particularly useful for are saturn, because there still isn't really another good way of setting up a decent saturn emulator that supports chds, and pc engine cd/pc-fx/3do, because those are obscure enough they don't have very convenient emulators to use either. for most other systems the cores tend to be outdated compared to standalone and standalone emulators for most commonly emulated systems are incorporating all of the features you might use retroarch for. most of why anyone would use retroarch came down to having per-game profiles for emulators that didn't natively feature them and working as a... usable frontend for mednafen when duckstation wasn't really an option and people were finally starting to realize the preexisting mainstays we were using for psx were decades outdated

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it also had the advantage of flycast being probably the least of a hassle to use for dc emulation, compared to reicast which is weird, demul which runs like poo poo and redream which paywalls upscaling and has heavy input lag. but flycast spun off into its own standalone emulator so you don't have to suffer retroarch for that now

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you also got ares stepping in here a bit but that one's still early going. when it's a bit more developed it'll probably be good for the more obscure systems you'd use retroarch to cover, it already has some preliminary pc engine cd support but it's not... great, yet

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I just missed that entire era I guess and never stopped running the classic 00s emulators. Duckstation was a relief though, ePSXe was the creakiest of the lot

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the classic 00s emulators suck rear end. snes9x is, acceptable but not really necessary unless you're running games on a 20 year old microwave oven, dolphin had its miracle ascendance and pcsx2 finally managed to dig itself out of the ditch it was stuck in but project64 is one of those things you only use cause it has the name you recognize and visualboyadvance had the nightmarish audio latency that people primarily remember for making mother 3 kinda suck to play. my recommendation for anyone who wants to emulate anything these days is to just look at the emulation general wiki and see what's at the top of the page for the system you're looking into cause it's usually the easiest one to use on top of not being ancient

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
retroarch shaders are what gave it a legup over solutions out there, but now i can just dump reshade on my mednafen folder and config crt-royale in it so it's cool

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
in essence i am thankful that with each passing day we get closer to retroarch not really being worth looking at ever again

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Zsnes ftw

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ah, I'll look into changing away from it for myself then, that sounds like crap.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i liked using zsnes because the interface made me feel like a hacker

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I used ZSNES because I could get it and a couple of ROMs on a floppy disc

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

The Colonel posted:

i think we're moving away on desktop at least because there's no actual benefits to using retroarch for most things anymore. the only things it's particularly useful for are saturn, because there still isn't really another good way of setting up a decent saturn emulator that supports chds, and pc engine cd

isn't mednafen supposed to be a good emulator for those systems?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

No Dignity posted:

lmao yeah. it had been a while since i played any emulated games when i picked up retroarch, thinking to myself that surely i wouldnt have to deal with the hassle of using plugins and what not in this modern age. and then it turns out its a loving nightmare to use because ????

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

unfortunately as android devices get better, the emulation itself is stagnating, because AetherSX2 is abandoned, there is no Xenia, Cemu, Xemu, etc. but Duckstation, Citra, Redream/Flycast and Yuzu are still worked on and get updates at least, and they're independent of RetroArch

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Willo567 posted:

isn't mednafen supposed to be a good emulator for those systems?

it is. but mednafen doesn't support chds which means large game collections can take up a lot of unnecessary added space, and its controller support is limited

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
compressing your games is big when you decide it's your life's goal to have every single weird saturn rpg and puzzle game and unfortunately mednafen doesn't want to allow me this

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/02/monolith-soft-is-looking-for-programmer-with-3d-action-game-experience

Finally, Soma Bringer 2

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
mednafen is also really clunky to use even with the available GUIs. it feels absolutely ancient compared to emulators with (the now ubiquitous) qt based front ends.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
as soon as ares properly supports some of the weirder edge case systems and someone puts out a saturn emulator with a decent gui i'm dumping retroarch's rear end in the grass

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

When I fight a wolf in Re:Link and hear the classic GBF fight music....We're so back bros...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

When I fight a wolf in Re:Link and hear the classic GBF fight music....We're so back bros...

the level up noise startled me lmao like oh fuckin hell am i slimebusting here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/SMTDrifter/status/1753143598088962130

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

'almost reijitmas' means it wasn't reijitmas!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a magic class that summons fairies for attacks. it's the exact same as sujimancer from infinite wealth.

Huh, interesting. I swear there's another class similar to that but I can't quite remember. It's like if Lana from Hyrule Warriors' Summoning Gate was in a turn based game.

ZCKaiser posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics has Calculator/Mathematician, which is wildly unlike anything I've seen in any other game.

Yeah but it's a 27 year old class and the basic idea is that it's got all the 'Lvl [X] spell formats like Lvl. 5 Death and etc in one class.

Hogama posted:

As noted, Dredmor doesn't really do "jobs" per se, your character starts with 7 skill trees out of a maximum unmodded total of 51 (some were in DLC, including Communist) in three different main categories (Warrior, Rogue, and Wizard - your main stats go up a set amount for each skill level in a particular category) and leveling said skills (including picking the initial skill levels) shapes the build, and you can try to find the best synergies and/or just see how well your grab bag of abilities can manage the run. There's also a lot of substats affected by the main stats, equipment, skills, and items.

A quick sum-up of Communist: a Warrior line slightly aligned towards cold damage (called Hyperborean here) resistance and general survivability, plus some physical buffing - but slightly risky, since the debuffs are probably going to hit you at some point (an otherwise resourceless regen booster is still a reasonably valuable tool in Dredmor). Craftable armour is sturdy, if decidedly Warrior-focused, and having a nuclear arsenal is certainly one way to clear a dungeon.

Slightly more detailed list to give a better idea, but not a complete breakdown:

Leraika posted:

it's a melee-damage class that focuses on cheap and powerful attacks, boosts, and status healing, with only a small, insignificant chance of getting one of the various Communist Debuffs (hits to your various stats with names like Rationing and Party Purge). At later levels, you get to make Communist Power Armor and The Bomb (which should be aimed very, very far away from yourself)

I just assume every game is like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest in how it's set up for some reason. These screenshots of the actual game were a lot different from what I was expecting.

I'm still happy to hear people share whatever neat classes they've seen, this is all neat. But here's another one, I swear there're other games that have stat rankings for characters besides Portable Ops, Peace Walker and MGSV right?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

RareAcumen posted:

I'm still happy to hear people share whatever neat classes they've seen, this is all neat. But here's another one, I swear there're other games that have stat rankings for characters besides Portable Ops, Peace Walker and MGSV right?

Most of (all of? haven't covered the whole franchise myself) the Disgaea games break things down like this.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 2, 2024

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay as we're talking about emulators I have a question: what's the least annoying way of using CRT Royale on one? I tried to load it jnto Duckstation via Reshade but couldn't get it to take, that's like the one thing Retroarch seems to have going for it right now

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Is it weird that my favorite thing about Persona 3 Reload is that they at least kept the stressy vibe of Deep Breath?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ27sDC_wqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqcANoctDF4

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Kokoro Wish posted:

Is it weird that my favorite thing about Persona 3 Reload is that they at least kept the stressy vibe of Deep Breath?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ27sDC_wqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqcANoctDF4

Not at all, the p3 soundtrack is great (may be heavy nostalgia talking over here) so hoping that trend continues is perfectly normal imo. In fact a lot of the time that my deepest connections to rpgs are often because they have a good ost, or that I’ll look fondly on some pretty mediocre ones (for example, p5) because they have tracks I like a lot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sleng Teng posted:

Not at all, the p3 soundtrack is great (may be heavy nostalgia talking over here) so hoping that trend continues is perfectly normal imo. In fact a lot of the time that my deepest connections to rpgs are often because they have a good ost, or that I’ll look fondly on some pretty mediocre ones (for example, p5) because they have tracks I like a lot.

Say what you will about Persona 5, and there is a lot to rightfully criticize, but goddamn if it didn't have style top-to-bottom from soundtrack to UI.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

The Colonel posted:

it is. but mednafen doesn't support chds which means large game collections can take up a lot of unnecessary added space, and its controller support is limited

It also is janky with some iso images, if you load a bin through a cue works fine but like come on, why all this rigmarole

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Sleng Teng posted:

Honestly, I was worried they'd use something akin to the Reincarnation version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-sjAqB-twc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Linda cubed is cute, and breezy, maybe jrpgs are good!