Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Excelsiortothemax posted:

My buddy regularly reads x-men comics and I guess in one of the main story lines their is this giant fart cloud killing mutants, which is also resistant to every known power, ability and science, and so the only way they can 'save' everyone is if they transfuse inhuman blood into them. Thus they are no longer mutants, but inhumans.

Quite considerate of the cloud monster to check the wiki before killing someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Are you saying I should go watch Farscape?

Farscape is the second- or third-best sci fi show ever made so yeah probably

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Farscape is the second- or third-best sci fi show ever made so yeah probably

Yeah, only Lexx and maybe Sapphire and Steel are better

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, only Lexx and maybe Sapphire and Steel are better

i was gonna say Babylon 5 and NGE, but I didn't give Lexx the chance it deserves and I've never even heard of Sapphire and Steel

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

I cannot emphasize how stupid that was.

Please don't sell yourself short like this... you can at least try!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i was gonna say Babylon 5 and NGE, but I didn't give Lexx the chance it deserves and I've never even heard of Sapphire and Steel

I've never seen Farscape. or Lexx. Or Sapphire and Steel. It's got a great loving intro tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gjHmEUiaxo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jrTAgeWMR8

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I get that it's supposed to be a parody of the Logan trailer, but I would unironically watch that movie.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Also re: guardians I will say this, i like James gunn and I don't know who's to blame for wasting lee pace but they should be condemned for it

From last page, but bears repeating.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sir Potato posted:

Wasn't it the same with one of the elves from Thor? One of them was a pretty great actor, and they only got, like, half a line?

Why do you cast that? Is it just for the bankable name recognition? Like, I get giving a great actor a bit part and having that role be the best you can, but giving them a bit part and smearing poo poo on the script before you give it to them just seems wasteful.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drifter posted:

Wasn't it the same with one of the elves from Thor? One of them was a pretty great actor, and they only got, like, half a line?

Why do you cast that? Is it just for the bankable name recognition? Like, I get giving a great actor a bit part and having that role be the best you can, but giving them a bit part and smearing poo poo on the script before you give it to them just seems wasteful.

I wouldn't be surprised if John C Reilly got paid more for his 15 second appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy than he does for an entire season of Check It Out. I don't think he needs you to go to bat for him on this

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if John C Reilly got paid more for his 15 second appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy than he does for an entire season of Check It Out. I don't think he needs you to go to bat for him on this

Go to bat for who? idgaf what they get paid. I'm saying the studios should utilize the actors if they're paying for them. Seems wasteful to do otherwise.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

It was pretty dumb though.

Star Trek gets up it's own rear end. It needs some dumb. And that was a very good kind of dumb.

Let me rephrase real quick, the original series is good, TNG is dull garbage.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sir Potato posted:

I don't think it's ever been proven outright, but I've always felt Marvel's MO is to give the heroes more time to shine than the villains. The thing I remember most from pre-Marvel films is the focus on the villains, and making them the main attraction over the hero. "Here's DOC OCK!" "Here's DOC DOOM!" "JOKER BE COMIN UP IN THIS BITCH TONIGHT!" and Marvel just moved that focus line and put the heroes in the forefront. Made them the main attraction. Used a lesser unknown villain for them to punch. Which I used to like because almost always the villains sucked or were kinda poorly done. Venom was terrible. Doctor Doom was awful. Galatacus was, uh. Essentially the one's we put high up, were the ones they gave the most focus too. The one's we get to know before they turn bad. Or just simply hanging around them more. It got to a point for me when TDK came out on DVD, where I just skipped to the Joker scenes because they were the highlight of he entire film.

Although I see it getting a little old.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jenny Angel posted:

Please don't sell yourself short like this... you can at least try!

Some people just can't stand it and have to set it straight.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Star Trek gets up it's own rear end. It needs some dumb. And that was a very good kind of dumb.

Did you only watch season 1 and give up? Cause everyone knows a Star Trek doesn't get good until someone grows their beard.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I don't know what experiences you've had that made you what you are and be so wrong, but I am so sorry :(

I mean yeah, TNG has some drat stupid episodes (See: Mark Twain timetravel) but what sci fi series doesn't.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Naw, he's right. TNG has some solid actors stranded in a lame as hell TV show. It also looks like it takes place in a retirement home lobby. The original series is the best.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Joker be comin up in this bitch, tonight.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I would buy a t-shirt that says HERE'S DOC DOOM or JOKER BE COMIN' UP IN THIS BITCH.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dan Didio posted:

I would buy a t-shirt that says HERE'S DOC DOOM or JOKER BE COMIN' UP IN THIS BITCH.

And on the back a reverse shot that says "JOKER JUST CAME UP THROUGH THIS BITCH"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TNG is pretty drat good so far and I am only part way through Season 1.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like the one episode that's about Worf trying to get his son to not be a nerd, featuring his son from the future also trying to get his past self to not be a nerd.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cage posted:

Joker be comin up in this bitch, tonight.

Suicide Squad 2 sounds pretty edgy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

RBA Starblade posted:

I like the one episode that's about Worf trying to get his son to not be a nerd, featuring his son from the future also trying to get his past self to not be a nerd.

His son is such a loving nerd his son from the future is like "gently caress I gotta kill this nerd or he's going to grow up to be a loser like me".

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

GoTG is the best Marcel movie.

????

Jutsuka posted:

'Guardians of the Galaxy' is in fact far more like a subpar episode of Farscape than any other Space Opera property.

Uh I think Farscape is the best sci fi show outside of the Twilight Show ever, but even I can't agree with this.

It's a completely different thing. It's more like a grittier Flash Gordon than anything (and I love my Flash Gordon).

If I was a kid I would have loved the poo poo out of it. Even as an adult, I still think it's pretty good.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 14, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Guardians of the Galaxy is awesome.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Neo Rasa posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy is awesome.

:yeah:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

CelticPredator posted:

I have the exact opposite opinion. I've tried to enjoy the original series but I just can't. I even love Voyager. The real question is: which of us is the evil twin?

Vintersorg posted:

TNG is pretty drat good so far and I am only part way through Season 1.

Even die hard Star Trek fans can't defend season 1 of TNG. If you truly feel this way, you sir are in for a treat.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Surely he's living off those phat pixar checks at this stage? Unless Hard Eight is a real sleeper for royalty checks, I'm pretty sure most of his mail is addressed to Wreck It Ralph.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

well why not posted:

Surely he's living off those phat pixar checks at this stage? Unless Hard Eight is a real sleeper for royalty checks, I'm pretty sure most of his mail is addressed to Wreck It Ralph.

Yeah, no question.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Even die hard Star Trek fans can't defend season 1 of TNG. If you truly feel this way, you sir are in for a treat.

...uh, really? It has some of the worst episodes but it also has a bunch of really fun ones. It's the worst season of TNG, but that's more of a testament to how good TNG was on the whole than how bad S1 is.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I can't think of any truly terrible episodes yet in season 1. I am only about 11 episodes in - just finished the one where Troi is gonna get married. Drunk Lurch was great.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Vintersorg posted:

I can't think of any truly terrible episodes yet in season 1. I am only about 11 episodes in - just finished the one where Troi is gonna get married. Drunk Lurch was great.

That dinner party scene is practically Lynchian.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I don't think it's ever been proven outright, but I've always felt Marvel's MO is to give the heroes more time to shine than the villains. The thing I remember most from pre-Marvel films is the focus on the villains, and making them the main attraction over the hero. "Here's DOC OCK!" "Here's DOC DOOM!" "JOKER BE COMIN UP IN THIS BITCH TONIGHT!" and Marvel just moved that focus line and put the heroes in the forefront. Made them the main attraction. Used a lesser unknown villain for them to punch. Which I used to like because almost always the villains sucked or were kinda poorly done. Venom was terrible. Doctor Doom was awful. Galatacus was, uh. Essentially the one's we put high up, were the ones they gave the most focus too. The one's we get to know before they turn bad. Or just simply hanging around them more. It got to a point for me when TDK came out on DVD, where I just skipped to the Joker scenes because they were the highlight of he entire film.

Although I see it getting a little old.

Venom was terrible because he really isn't that good a villain. Doctor doom was bad because they literally haven't figured out that "Being true to character" is actually a good thing for him. The less said about movie galactus the better. Loki was a great villain on the other hand and positively chewed up scenery wherever he could.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Vintersorg posted:

If I had never seen TNG before and watched it in order, I'm pretty sure I would have stopped after seeing The Naked Now and Code of Honor back to back.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

After season 1, they fired the head writer and the rest of the series became character driven. It improved a ton.

Deep Space 9 is the best series, however.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did you only watch season 1 and give up? Cause everyone knows a Star Trek doesn't get good until someone grows their beard.

My childhood was filled with TNG and TNG movies and it was hellish.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If it does get better than that's good but I honestly, unironically, am enjoying season 1. Maybe it's because Patrick Stewart can carry any piece of poo poo on his back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjpObUPEJpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I can't understand how ANYONE in their early teens would have given up on TNG when you have Troi, Crusher, Tasha Yar, Ensign Ro...and Picard, Geordi, and Riker.

Like Jesus, better than Skinemax.

• Locked thread