Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

LadyPictureShow posted:

My friend got me to check out Attack on Titan. S1 is on Netflix, and I think Hulu has both seasons. It is a weird-rear end show.

All the Hulu anime content, are they all just subtitled?

Action wise it's really good and it's a cool take on apocalyptic end of humanity type stuff but goddamn the dialogue and voice acting is terrible.

But it's anime so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

Almost a year and a half after cancelling my cable my old provider must have figured out something because I finally lost my access to HBOGO. I'm trying to decide if I want to just to subscribe to HBO. If I do does that mean I'll have to use HBO Now instead?

Yeah. And it's identical to HBO Go in every way aside from the name and subscription method.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I pay 6 dollars a month for Hulu with ads. I'm pretty ok with this. If it was 10, I'd cancel.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I really enjoyed Altered Carbon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I like that Altered Carbon didn't tell half of a story though, I would look forward to another season but they're really very free to take things wherever they want. Which is great, they covered a lot of ground in just 10 episodes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm only on episode 3 but Altered Carbon is extremely decent and stylish. On par with The Expanse imo

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

precision posted:

I'm only on episode 3 but Altered Carbon is extremely decent and stylish. On par with The Expanse imo

I'm taking a break so I don't blow through it, then I'm going to sign up for Amazon to watch the expanse; is it based on a series of books?

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 12, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Field Mousepad posted:

Action wise it's really good and it's a cool take on apocalyptic end of humanity type stuff but goddamn the dialogue and voice acting is terrible.

But it's anime so yeah.

Yeah it’s a typical stupid anime dialogue but I thought the world-building was cool. Action-wise I hate that it’s kind of your typical ‘only the main characters can seem to ever kill a Titan’ and even the most senior members totally job to them, kind of like in Sailor Moon where only Sailor Moon could ever hit the killing blow.

The thing that really caught my attention was in the first ‘defense’ arc, all the kids were gung-ho, psyching themselves up and ribbing each other over who would get the most kills then seconds later that one squad member ends up halfway into a Titan’s mouth.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Finished Queer Eye earlier today and now I’m extremely tempted to sell my boring suburbanite home and buy a loft downtown. Atlanta has some cool places!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

James Woods Fan posted:

I use Hulu to try out anime. I am enjoying Gungrave so far.

Check out Future Diary, it's a wild loving show that doesn't get anywhere near as much play as it deserves

Pretty easily one of the best things I've ever dug up from Hulu

(Also, relevant to the terrible anime dialogue discussion, because the English dub at least is loving :discourse: and has several of my favorite VA line deliveries ever)

e: I should probably say I can't vouch for the Japanese audio at all on that last point, and at least one character tic I really liked from the English dub was a replacement for something that apparently got incredibly irritating in the Japanese audio, so maybe definitely watch it with the dub and not the sub.

e2: also keep in mind that, while the show's actually weirdly progressive for anime, there's a two-episode arc that uses sexual violence in a pretty tasteless and lovely manner; you'll pretty much know it when you see it and, while you'll miss out on one really entertaining character who for some ungodly reason shares screen time with that arc, you can just skip past that stuff if you're uncomfortable with it. i ordinarily wouldn't bring this up, but it's like the fifth and sixth episode of the goddamn show and it's... uniquely bad in how it handles the issue.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 12, 2018

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Watched Good Time on Amazon Prime and would recommend it for people who like the "12 hours in the life of a hosed up criminal being pursued by the police" style movies.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm taking a break so I don't blow through it, then I'm going to sign up for Amazon to watch the expanse; is it based on a series of books?

The Expanse is based on a book series written by George RR Martin's underlings and the show is the superior version of the story

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Tainen posted:

Watched Good Time on Amazon Prime and would recommend it for people who like the "12 hours in the life of a hosed up criminal being pursued by the police" style movies.

Good Time was a little too off-the-rails for my taste. By the time the LSD guy showed up and began to tell his backstory the movie was so far away from its original intent that I had lost all interest. If the characters were a little more engaging I think I would have followed along, but but everyone's personality is basically just "I do crimes."

The cinematography and sound design are both superb, though.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Inspector Hound posted:

It's based on a book which is part of a series of books that are more or less stand alone. I won't spoil anything but if they adapt the next two books and stay true to them I'd be very impressed because it'd be pretty brave due to plot elements of the series.

The books are all good but different.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The thing that bugs me about the plot of Imposters is

I don't see why the FBI had to use a real ring.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Standup for drummers wasn't nearly as bad as the previews made it look. It was pretty good actually.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Counterpoint: I thought it was uhhh, not good. I'm generally ok with Armisen, enjoyed Portlandia, and actually am a drummer, and found it pretty unbearable and had to turn it off after about twenty minutes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Still enjoying Babylon Berlin, but kinda am not liking Kardakov and Svetlana disappearing into the background after being major characters in the first half.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
It's better if you go into it not expecting to see just stand up. It's basically an hour of Fred being generally entertaining.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm coincidentally rewatching Gungrave. The first episode starts with the monster stuff, so it's not like the show is trying to hide it.

I think it's actually pretty neat. The way it shows how people change through the years and how thier obsession literally turns them into demons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is Imposters one of those shows that starts great and then goes off a cliff? Because it starts great

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Counterpoint: I thought it was uhhh, not good. I'm generally ok with Armisen, enjoyed Portlandia, and actually am a drummer, and found it pretty unbearable and had to turn it off after about twenty minutes.

I should have known better to turn it on when I saw it was rated PG and thought "Oh cool, stand up I can watch in front of my 5 year old." I really needed to take a nap anyway.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

Lycus posted:

Still enjoying Babylon Berlin, but kinda am not liking Kardakov and Svetlana disappearing into the background after being major characters in the first half.

I can't remember when your spoiler happens, but in its initial run on TV in Europe it was two separate 8 episode seasons not one long one like it is on Netflix.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Mr. Toodles posted:

I can't remember when your spoiler happens, but in its initial run on TV in Europe it was two separate 8 episode seasons not one long one like it is on Netflix.

Ah, okay, so they were more like strictly Season 1 major characters. That makes more sense.

E: Ohh, okay. So the gunfight in the club was the climax of the first season.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 12, 2018

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

Is Imposters one of those shows that starts great and then goes off a cliff? Because it starts great

It's a scripted show on Bravo, take that as you will. Not bashing Bravo, it's probably my most watched channel, but I don't watch it for it's scripted programming.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's not perfect, but I enjoyed it.

Babylon Berlin: Maybe I'm confused. What exactly was going on in the train station scene? Greta was hallucinating, right?

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Lycus posted:

It's not perfect, but I enjoyed it.

Babylon Berlin: Maybe I'm confused. What exactly was going on in the train station scene? Greta was hallucinating, right?

No, she was manipulated by those two, Fritz and his friend, they faked Fritz's death and actually are Nazis. They pretended to be leftists and used the manufactured strife between the Bolsheviks and police force to their advantage. They wanted to kill Brenda the entire time and used her to do it. You could even argue the shadow army was creating the turmoil between the communists and police to distract both factions.

I absolutely loved this show and watched the entire thing in about week or two.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 13, 2018

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Patriot Season 2 when

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Fargin Icehole posted:

Patriot Season 2 when

Probably later this year. They just announced some cast additions about a month ago, so I'm sure they're shooting right now.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Rewatched Bo Burnham's Make Happy special again, and the ending song still hits really hard.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

No, she was manipulated by those two, Fritz and his friend, they faked Fritz's death and actually are Nazis. They pretended to be leftists and used the manufactured strife between the Bolsheviks and police force to their advantage. They wanted to kill Brenda the entire time and used her to do it. You could even argue the shadow army was creating the turmoil between the communists and police to distract both factions.

I absolutely loved this show and watched the entire thing in about week or two.

Okay, that confused me a bit because it was quite a long con. Obviously, it makes sense that Nazis would want to kill him since he was a powerful Jew.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 13, 2018

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Hello, friends. I come to you with a warning. To have something on while I was cleaning and prepping food, and because I love Donnie Yen, I put on XXX: The Return of Xander Cage on Amazon. Please friends, learn from my mistakes. Don't do what I've done.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

10 Beers posted:

Hello, friends. I come to you with a warning. To have something on while I was cleaning and prepping food, and because I love Donnie Yen, I put on XXX: The Return of Xander Cage on Amazon. Please friends, learn from my mistakes. Don't do what I've done.

Counterpoint: Don't listen to this guy

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

xxx part 1 and 3 are amazing bad films and should viewed by everyone. i cant recommend part 2 because no matter how many times i watch it, i cannot remember it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

xxx part 1 and 3 are amazing bad films and should viewed by everyone. i cant recommend part 2 because no matter how many times i watch it, i cannot remember it.

Everyone should at least be aware of 2 so that they can appreciate the Ice Cube cameo in Return of Xander Cage.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Basebf555 posted:

Everyone should at least be aware of 2 so that they can appreciate the Ice Cube cameo in Return of Xander Cage.

i saw part 3 in the theater and i was very drunk, so when this moment happened it took me like a full minute to remember why it was happening

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
Are there any fluent Spanish speakers ITT who can help me out?

In preparation for an upcoming trip to Mexico, I've been cramming some beginner Spanish lessons, and something I thought would be fun to try would be to watch a show on Netflix I'm very familiar with but with both Spanish audio & subtitles. So I found that That 70's Show fits those requirements, and gave it a try. It became obvious pretty quickly that the overdubbed dialogue usually doesn't match the subtitles, but from my (extremely limited) knowledge of the language so far, both seem like they could be correct translations of the English on their own.
The way I figure, one of the following is happening:

A) The subtitles are pulled from a correctly translated script/transcript and are correct, while the Spanish voice actors are doing a bit of ad-libbing away from the script but are still speaking correctly. If this is the case, I can keep watching with this in mind and maybe learn some synonyms/alternate phrasing for the same generally intended meaning.

B) The voice acting is correct (because the spanish voice actors obviously wouldn't be saying gibberish), but the subtitle track is just an english transcript lazily run through google translate or something. If this is the case, I should obviously avoid the subtitles so as not to learn anything incorrectly.

If someone fluent in spoken and written Spanish could watch part of, say, the first episode and tell me what the deal is, I'd really appreciate it!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A) never happens, it's always a translator/localizer who's writing the script who changes it to something that makes more sense/sounds better in the local language. The subtitles were probably just pasted verbatim from the English

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Ritual was great but for me it's only the last 30 minutes that is really worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tim Whatley posted:

The Ritual was great but for me it's only the last 30 minutes that is really worth watching.

The Ritual is two different flavors of horror melded very effectively into one 90 minute movie. So if you happen to love stuff like The Witch, AND you also happen to love monster movies, it's one of the best horror movies of the past few years. If you only like one or the other you might think it's merely decent.