Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Please don't take bigotry lightly, my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Dear XboxPants, Bigot extraordinaire.

I think you are confused, this isnt the Ouya thread, this is the Starbound thread.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

OwlFancier posted:

Then not engaging would be an optimal solution, one would think.

You're definitely right there, I think. But instead, he came in anyway and we got a couple cool posts out of it here and there.

All I'm saying is, it would be cool if the response to that kind of thing wouldn't be to wait until the developers slip up, and then harass them until they leave. It just feels like there's a different standard being held for him and everyone else. He avoided a few questions and made a couple self-congratulatory posts, compared to other people who constantly told him he was a piece of poo poo who should go gently caress himself, and he's the immature one who needs to go consider his actions?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

where is the starbound port for the ouya? free the games chucklefish??

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I got my money out of this game easily, but I gotta say I thought it'd be way further along by now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

XboxPants posted:

He avoided a few questions and made a couple self-congratulatory posts, compared to other people who constantly told him he was a piece of poo poo who should go gently caress himself, and he's the immature one who needs to go consider his actions?

If he's expected to be thought of as being better than the people who do that, yeah? If you dive headfirst into the poo poo then you're not going to smell any better than it.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I did not get my 15bux out of starbound, I got a couple nightly builds that wiped my horrible, grinding progress and more often than not a launcher and standalone client that would start an exception message popup instead of a video game

memorable promising first impression after install: getting an error message and having to search google for "starbound won't launch LUA error" then modify config files to get it to run

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Eonwe posted:

I got my money out of this game easily, but I gotta say I thought it'd be way further along by now
This is, and was, the god drat problem. I too had lots of fun with the stable and got my money's worth out of it, but then the whole "let's not update for eight months please play the nightly builds that crash all the time and look at this cute picture isn't it cool" thing came along. Like, remember when this thread was the last bastion of love for CF? When we made fun of all the crybabies? When Molly came by to post? Yeah well, turns out that when things didn't really pick up again after CF moved and got set up, I and other folks shifted towards the side that said "lol dead game is dead". And you just can't say that CF didn't do major blunders during the development up to this point, and enticed some of the shitposting by their own actions. "Yo guys, we're almost in England and then the updates will fly like before!" eight months later "Hey there will be this super big update coming any day now!". Like, if you can't understand why people stop to care about the game by that point, and have much more fun shitposting about it, then I don't know what's wrong with you.

I still would like to play my dead and gay space lego game with all the cool features at some point, but until that happens, I'm going to post for funsies. And for the record, I think Supernorn made a couple bad posts and cherry picked what he replied to, but it's also not fair to use him as the target of your ire for CF because he's in reach. If that's what made him peace out that I can kinda understand, but also think that it's childish to leave because of shitposting after starting to shitpost yourself. "Hey that new mission isn't very fun to play and the HP wall enemies are tedious", "HOW ABOUT THIS ALPACA HMM?"

In short, merry christmas and bless you all :h:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 17, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

If he's expected to be thought of as being better than the people who do that, yeah? If you dive headfirst into the poo poo then you're not going to smell any better than it.

Nah, that's what I'm saying, why do you expect him to be some magical class of better human than anyone else? Why does he get stricter standards?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

XboxPants posted:

Nah, that's what I'm saying, why do you expect him to be some magical class of better human than anyone else? Why does he get stricter standards?

Because he's whinging that the thread isn't taking him or the game seriously.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I think Supernorm forgets that when the negatives outweigh the positives no one really cares. Yes the alpaca costume is cool and neat and I think it will allow for some cool customization in the future but at the moment everyone's trying to grasp their heads around the horribly broken missions/combat/everything else and don't give two shits how pretty something looks when it runs like rear end underneath.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I think Supernorm forgets that when the negatives outweigh the positives no one really cares. Yes the alpaca costume is cool and neat and I think it will allow for some cool customization in the future but at the moment everyone's trying to grasp their heads around the horribly broken missions/combat/everything else and don't give two shits how pretty something looks when it runs like rear end underneath.

For once I completely agree with you. It'd be cool if good things made up for bad things, but they usually don't, and this is especially true for video games. If the dungeons are mandatory and unfun, it won't matter how many weird props and poo poo they jam in the game, it just won't work.

I understand how that post could happen. If I'm GeorgeV and I just made this fluffy Alpaca costume I would wanna make a post about it too and show it off. But you gotta consider how people are gonna respond when they've been waiting days for any response about a number of more serious issues, and the only response is "haha cute animal". It makes it look like either the developers don't give a poo poo, or they're intentionally trying to distract you.

The truth is probably just like I said, that the artist made a costume that he thinks looks cool and he wants to show it off, no one else has something that's ready for a dev post, and no one thought about the PR effect, but... I understand why people get annoyed about the dumb little updates that happen sometimes.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIqs4bZVXH8

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Question: will the alpaca costume equip into the Epic slot or the Win slot ??

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Eonwe posted:

:agreed:

Also, there's no reason you wouldn't find crashed ships and salvage the tech of that in place of developing every little thing all by yourself.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

starbound_mining.mov

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Rip /sbg/ you will be missed dearly. NOT

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

oddium posted:

It's a two-part costume, so both!

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

UPDATES
THICK AND FAST

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Now I feel sorry for the StarBound devs :(
I mean, the ones who joined after the initial cash-surge... none of the loot, all of the hate.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Cicadas! posted:

UPDATES
THICK AND FAST

"Updates will come thick and fast, sometimes as often as multiple updates a day."

There actually were multiple updates today, because the first nightly completely hosed things and the game crashed every time you tried to place an object, like a table.

Hurrah, they managed to only have the game completely broken for a few hours! ...that's something to brag about, right? :shepface:

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Hurrah, they managed to only have the game completely broken for a few hours! ...that's something to brag about, right? :shepface:

they could aslo brag about getting billions of dollars without doing much

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
gently caress, booted up nightly, is mining supposed to be this slow and tedious? Feels like there's no loving ore to mine.

Tiny clusters here and there but it takes me like an hour to find enough copper for a pickaxe to make it less slow.

Did I just get unlucky with my starting planet or something?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Ahundredbux posted:

gently caress, booted up nightly, is mining supposed to be this slow and tedious? Feels like there's no loving ore to mine.

Tiny clusters here and there but it takes me like an hour to find enough copper for a pickaxe to make it less slow.

nope, you're just playing starbound

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Ahundredbux posted:

It only took you an hour?
Sounds like you got very lucky indeed, friend.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ahundredbux posted:

gently caress, booted up nightly, is mining supposed to be this slow and tedious? Feels like there's no loving ore to mine. Tiny clusters here and there but it takes me like an hour to find enough copper for a pickaxe to make it less slow. Did I just get unlucky with my starting planet or something?
Mining has been that way since release despite all the negative feedback, so it must be intended.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

IronicDongz posted:

Okay, so, I just played the first real MISSION mission in current Starbound. The one that gets your FTL drive.
Before you do it, you need to deck yourself out in full steel armor before the NPC lets you take the quest. Which is pretty blatantly gating, but okay, that's clearly the tier of weapons and armor they want me to have for this to be balanced. Whatever. I make the full steel armor, and get lucky enough to find a sword that's better than the steel 1-hander, as well as guns that have around the same DPS as my sword. So I'm more prepared than I need to be, supposedly.

It takes you to this moon base place, where you can't mine or anything, it's all combat and flipping switches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XBjOBgFsj4

So this starts off alright I guess. The environment looks fine, it has its own music, etc. But once you start fighting the enemies... they don't really stop. And they're not very fun to fight.
I guess this video showcases the new combat, in the sense that blocking is wonky and using guns is pretty annoying and tedious. Just unloading into one enemy to get it down to around half health takes all my energy, and then I need to either engage in the annoying melee where their spit attack utterly destroys my shield, or walk away until I get my energy back. The enemies are all meatshields and it goes on so, so long.

At the end of this video I run into an enemy which I assume is a boss. He does enough damage to break my shield in a few attacks, and kill me in like 2 or 3, and I do almost no damage to him. Even though I have the required full tier of armor and am above that tier in weapons.

So, okay. Cheeseball strat time. I unlock double jump, go back through that entire boring level, and then double-jump on top of that platform above him to needle him to death.
This is the important one to watch: look at how loving little damage I do to this guy, even though I've gotten relatively lucky with weapon drops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M4cGUCn6nU

Rifle does no damage, shotgun does one damage per shot. Sword, which is again, above the tier of materials the game gated this mission with, does only like 7 damage. And he'll still kill me in just a few hits, so I basically can't directly fight him.

After over 3 minutes of chipping away at him, alternating between using my shotgun and then waiting for my energy to recharge, and using my sword and waiting for my shield to recharge, he finally dies.

And then shortly after I walk right and promptly run into another identical enemy, just as tanky and hitting just as hard. I stopped recording after that but I got impatient killing him, and he one-shot me when my shield wasn't charged.

So gently caress this, I'm not doing that all over again.

In all seriousness though, I hope you brought this to the dev's attention.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

oddium posted:

the Randome slot

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Haha holy poo poo you are the worst people. Some of you are acting like chucklefish killed your dog or something, it's great.

Ahundredbux posted:

Don't bother making pickaxes. Just do the quests as you get them, and then do yourself a favor and type in "/admin" "/spawnitem ironore 1000" "/admin" and enjoy the game as it really should have been, since for some reason Iron ore is harder to find than gold. It was also brought to some dev's attention on his stream, and when he booted it up and tried to find some without admin powers his response was "yeah it really shouldn't be like this" so someone probably hosed up the spawn algorithm or something.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Tiyuri's twitter, Dec 13 posted:

Nightlies are coming along nicely. We're trying for unstable next week and depending on bugs etc stable some time in January

Supernorn posted:

The fact is, with a few exceptions you sucked any fun out of me posting here. I wasn't required to. I'm a goon that just happens to be contributing to a game that I enjoy working on. You can't really expect me to take this thread seriously when you guys are just showing utter contempt towards me, the game or any reasonable means towards a discussion. So I'm going to peace out and you guys can continue doing whatever it is you think this is. Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas!!!!!
:downsgun:

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Bauxite posted:

Haha holy poo poo you are the worst people. Some of you are acting like chucklefish killed your dog or something, it's great.

"For hates sake..."

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Bauxite posted:

Thing is, it all started when somebody upset by the poo poo management of the game (Devour of Fire, I think) got so angry about it, he began just shredding and riffing at it, and other unhappy people came over and drowned out the positive people (which to be fair, were pretty goddamn loud). But instead of getting a degree of calming down or cool-out after that, poo poo got out of control. Like, so utterly negative, and I can't blame them, given how the decision-making process has been bumpy, at best, and a loving cliff, at worst. But even then, it's such an over-reaction.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

"This game isn't good, instead of giving any sort of feedback I'm just gonna post gifs of them eating poo poo and hope they get the message"

Like, yeah, game needs a lot of work and there are fuckups, but god drat is this the most childish I've ever seen goons take a game being poo poo. Go team, I guess. Considering it's a $15 game it's really hard to sympathize with any of you.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Bauxite posted:

Don't bother making pickaxes. Just do the quests as you get them, and then do yourself a favor and type in "/admin" "/spawnitem ironore 1000" "/admin" and enjoy the game as it really should have been, since for some reason Iron ore is harder to find than gold. It was also brought to some dev's attention on his stream, and when he booted it up and tried to find some without admin powers his response was "yeah it really shouldn't be like this" so someone probably hosed up the spawn algorithm or something.

No I think they just fixed that cause I just found a lot of iron. Guess I wasn't slowly digging deep enough. Don't really care about the iron right now though 'cause I just wanna quickly dig down and find some core fragments.

I do enjoy the farming and cooking stuff they added and building stuff is a bit easier when you actually have a pickaxe to quickly dig out larger areas.

Enjoyment will go up a whole loving lot when the first mod that doubles or tripples digging speed though, I can tell you that.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Bauxite posted:

"This game isn't good, instead of giving any sort of feedback I'm just gonna post gifs of them eating poo poo and hope they get the message"

Like, yeah, game needs a lot of work and there are fuckups, but god drat is this the most childish I've ever seen goons take a game being poo poo. Go team, I guess. Considering it's a $15 game it's really hard to sympathize with any of you.

Just a couple of pals and bros gettin together for some quality poo poo posting dude. Settle right down, the fellas don't approve

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
They made the game a lot more tedious so it takes you longer to realize there's no new content. :ssh:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

shitpostin' here is more fun than actually playing starbound

#makesyouthink

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Ahundredbux posted:

No I think they just fixed that cause I just found a lot of iron. Guess I wasn't slowly digging deep enough. Don't really care about the iron right now though 'cause I just wanna quickly dig down and find some core fragments.

I do enjoy the farming and cooking stuff they added and building stuff is a bit easier when you actually have a pickaxe to quickly dig out larger areas.

Enjoyment will go up a whole loving lot when the first mod that doubles or tripples digging speed though, I can tell you that.

The first upgrade for the MM will allow you to pick up and carry around any kind of fluids. This includes poison and lava. As far as I could tell, it didn't speed it up. The second upgrade is only available after you're in the steel tier, so don't pass up any iron you find since you will need a lot of it to make the steel necessary. Also once you get the first upgrade you'll need to visit a desert planet and dig down to find oil. It's purplish looking water and you use it to make steel bars out of iron bars.

Really they should just make the MM mine twice as fast as it does, or at the very least make it so mining picks don't break after 20-30 seconds of use so it's actually worth making them.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Bauxite posted:

Sorry that my threadshitting doesn't reach SomethingAwful's high level of standards.
At least I had more fun drinking whiskey and making my gif than anyone else had trying to play Error Message 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

AceClown posted:

shitpostin' here is more fun than actually playing starbound

#makesyouthink

Nothing makes me think.

• Locked thread