Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

due to the nature of open development, cig have to keep things behind closed doors

TODD BONZALEZ fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Google Butt posted:

he's a pussy

What question? Whether I looked into if they have an inquiry or not? No - I haven't inquired about an inquiry. Someone here said that there was a pending investigation or inquiry, but offered no proof.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

ManofManyAliases posted:

Really? Then why do you guys, a handful on reddit, MMORPG, etc. keep pointing to the Escapist and other sources as evidence that he hosed up and the public caught wind of it? So which is it? Did he gently caress up? Is he in the process of loving up? Or, is he about to gently caress up? At which stage of "fuckedupedness" is he currently?

I have never once pointed to eh Escapist article. This is the first time I have ever even typed in Escapist into the Something Awful Forums.
Not sure what you are getting at. If you are saying we a re a hive mind I would like to point out that I derailed this thread better than you did. And they still get my name wrong.

Also the escapist Article (Second time I typed it now) was in October 2015. NOT four years ago.

The FIFA investigation started years earlier and is still ongoing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Really? Then why do you guys, a handful on reddit, MMORPG, etc. keep pointing to the Escapist and other sources as evidence that he hosed up and the public caught wind of it? So which is it? Did he gently caress up? Is he in the process of loving up? Or, is he about to gently caress up? At which stage of "fuckedupedness" is he currently?

Chris is a total fuckup, so his default state is being in the middle of it. He has been right in the middle of loving up as soon as he got the first dollar for the project and has kept loving up until today.

No, wait, he was loving up before that too.

Did you contact the UK authorities?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

ManofManyAliases posted:

Even though there is "open development," I never once expected to see their roadmap. They're a private company with competitors in the field. A company like Elite's can choose to show whatever the gently caress they want. That doesn't mean it's precedent to do so.

Well then I'm glad you are willing to accept that, and can freely burn your money in stupid ways.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Tippis posted:

Because that's what happened.

All of them, since they're not mutually exclusive.

No. gently caress you for being illiterate and in the same breath complaining about how others supposedly hasn't read a source document correctly.

Oh, and you didn't answer the question about the inquiry: how do you know this?

Seeing as how tons of closed development projects give out fairly detailed roadmaps, exactly because they have competitors, you really should expect a company that tries to pretend it's doing some kind of open development to produce them in abundance.

I don't know it. But it would be plastered everywhere if there was one (here - first - especially).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

What question? Whether I looked into if they have an inquiry or not? No - I haven't inquired about an inquiry. Someone here said that there was a pending investigation or inquiry, but offered no proof.

So you are completely sure there is no investigation but, given the chance, have not inquired. Yes, this is the kind of thing a person arguing in good faith does. BTW, do the inquiry, the reply you get is cute.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

The source for proof was pointed out to you. What kind of "adult" are you, that you're afraid of a phone call. Or are you incapable of affording an internation call. I thought you were dealing with fraud and legal stuff. So why are you so chicken?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
A somewhat skeptical blog about SC from December 2013:
https://syncaine.com/2013/12/04/star-citizen-whale-sized-expectations/

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
MOMA. Why are you so concerned with jail time for the CIG employees?

It seems that is what triggers you the most.

PS. They are going to jail.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm no "kid," Jr. And, I don't need to know a thing about game development to understand business.

Do you think you need to understand the basics of game development in order to begin to judge the progress of a game that is in development?

ManofManyAliases posted:

Even though there is "open development," I never once expected to see their roadmap.

A road map is the most basic thing they could do to provide some insight into their development. It's standard practice for independent developers that aren't keeping the entire project a secret. You clearly didn't expect a single thing from that sentence, which is fine, but you can't really defend a promise that you completely ignored with "well if you guys completely ignored this then you'd be happy that it didn't happen".

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

iron buns posted:

They are called reflection (or environment) probes. They're basically cube maps that are rendered either once (baked) or real time on every frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7jiayVKYfU

The are named differently regarding engines (reflection probes, reflection captures, realtime cubemaps etc. pp.). But yeah, the reflection probes in Unity are exactly what I meant. I'm sure CryEngine has a very similar approach (look at Doom 2016 and what the crytek guys brought to id Tech 6). When I look at the pic Lladre posted and what pgabz says, it seems like they don't even use realtime cubemap rendering/reflection probes/reflection captures/you-get-the-idea.

Which actually is quite shocking to me...it's shockingly unimmersive :)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Let me go ask the 180 people sitting in the UK with their thumbs in their asses if development ended.

You have nothing to add to the discussion here because you want to choose which arguments and evidence is credible - there will never be an occasion when you admit to being wrong because even as new facts come into light you choose to fill in the blanks between them with your rose-colored hopes and dreams, no matter how conceited they appear in light of CIG's actions otherwise.

I don't care exactly how you justify your conclusions, because you reach them first and then twist the evidence to suit. The only answer you'll get from here are exasperated jokes at your expense and nothing in your posting makes you deserve any better.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ManofManyAliases posted:

What question? Whether I looked into if they have an inquiry or not? No - I haven't inquired about an inquiry.

So you have absolutely no grounds for making your claims, as always.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I don't know it. But it would be plastered everywhere if there was one (here - first - especially).

No. It really wouldn't. Because, again, that's not how such processes work, but then again, it's been fairly well established that you don't understand legal matters.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

ManofManyAliases posted:

Well, yeah. The operational expense for 180 people is not cheap. But, they were still net positive cash flows at the end of the year. That's a huge positive for an entity with 22 mil operational expense. Even then, it gets consolidated to the parent, who's obviously using this entity to offset their tax burden.

Do keep up. The released finances are not for 180 people (F42 UK currently has nearly 175) but are for those employed during FY2015 - an average of 132 btw.

For FY2016 when the employee count average becomes 165-180, operation expenses will be $28m-$30m. For one of the four studios. And CIG only make an average of $35m annually in sales... oops.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ManofManyAliases posted:

And 4 years in - no investigation of any kind. This has something to do with crowdfunding. You'd think someone who raised over 100 mil via crowdfunding and was suspected of operating a scam would at least have an inquiry opened against him and his company . . . Oh, but there aren't any?

I didn't call it a scam in my statement. I was referring to Chris's consistent history in failing to deliver, not malfeasance.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
He had another one in 2013, already speaking of cultishness:
https://syncaine.com/2013/12/05/sc-developer-deja-vu/

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Tank Boy Ken posted:

The source for proof was pointed out to you. What kind of "adult" are you, that you're afraid of a phone call. Or are you incapable of affording an internation call. I thought you were dealing with fraud and legal stuff. So why are you so chicken?

Chicken? No. I simply said I haven't done it yet. Man, you guys REALLY try your damnedest to direct the narrative your way.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen : Meltdown Development.

:munch:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Again, Madoff had like 4 inquiries by the SEC done that went nowhere, even when he was scamming billions. And the people who gave him billions never caught a whiff of them. You would guess they would be plastered everywhere but that's not how things work in the adult world.

Seriously, why didn't you inquire? Are you afraid of learning the terrible secret of space games?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Scruffpuff posted:

I didn't call it a scam in my statement. I was referring to Chris's consistent history in failing to deliver, not malfeasance.

Ok - fair enough. Yet, he did deliver on the first WC games and even though MS bought him out for Freelancer, it was still a success that was largely attributed to his 'creative' inspiration.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

Chicken? No. I simply said I haven't done it yet. Man, you guys REALLY try your damnedest to direct the narrative your way.

:ironicat:
Nice beltdown.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Quavers posted:

Do keep up. The released finances are not for 180 people (F42 UK currently has nearly 175) but are for those employed during FY2015 - an average of 132 btw.

For FY2016 when the employee count average becomes 165-180, operation expenses will be $28m-$30m. For one of the four studios. And CIG only make an average of $35m annually in sales... oops.

"Will be." That's a hard statement. I'm curious, though: when SQ42 is completed, will they keep all 132, 150, 180 (whatever) persons on? I'm thinking no.
And that number of $35 million. Did you account for all sources of income other than crowd funding?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

Chicken? No. I simply said I haven't done it yet.

B'tak. 🐥

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ok - fair enough. Yet, he did deliver on the first WC games and even though MS bought him out for Freelancer, it was still a success that was largely attributed to his 'creative' inspiration.

…except that the first WC game was a financial disaster that was close to not being delivered and that the success of Freelancer was in spite of his destructive involvement — there's a reason why his credits for the game are what they are.

ManofManyAliases posted:

And that number of $35 million. Did you account for all sources of income other than crowd funding?

What other sources, and how do you know any such sources exist?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

People keep saying CIG isn't being open with their Development. I disagree. I say they've been showing us every step of progress they've managed.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

Are you going to do it? or are you... chicken!?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
MOMA, if this game had a publisher do you think they would be happy with the last 2,3,4 whatever years of development progress? Do you think CR and his family would still be employed at this point?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

"Will be." That's a hard statement. I'm curious, though: when SQ42 is completed, will they keep all 132, 150, 180 (whatever) persons on? I'm thinking no.

S42 will not be ready before 2017, though perhaps they'll fire people before Christmas 2016. And you seem to be forgetting that they still need to finish SC / PTU after S42 Episode 1. And they've already sold Ep II and III.
They are so hosed by development debt (117m $ of debt).

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ahahahaha - is this the bedtime story your parents read to you? Because it is about as made up as any Grimm story. Chris Roberts is widely perceived as a complete and utter failure since what, Wing Commander 3? Anything he has touched since then has been to the detriment of that thing - be that thing a game, a person or whatever. He loving failed as a used car dealer, for heaven's sake! Your slimy messiah failed at a slimy vocation and this is his fall-back plan.

Maybe we shouldn't try to convince someone (you, moma) who still needs a note from his parents to avoid gym that he is being childish and deluding himself, but here we are.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Tippis posted:

B'tak. 🐥

…except that the first WC game was a financial disaster that was close to not being delivered and that the success of Freelancer was in spite of his destructive involvement — there's a reason why his credits for the game are what they are.

What other sources, and how do you know any such sources exist?

I can't source it right now, but I'm fairly certain CR or Erin mentioned in an ATV that they do seek capital elsewhere. Even Ben alluded to this in a dev post on forums when he responded to someone was to why they don't release financials (likely one of you guys who still had an active account at the time).

Not to mention, that's what businesses do: it's highly unlikely you only have one stream for income.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

I think they'll keep most of them because they have two more single-player games to make, and also the other things they've promised to do once "resources from SQ42 became freed up".

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

ManofManyAliases posted:

no you continued to say that there was no proof of investigations despite being shown where proof is easily obtainable

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Xaerael posted:

I'm going to put this into a cold, hard reality mode for a moment... PGI have a better track record than Chris Roberts on delivering.

loving PGI.

:vince:

ManofManyAliases posted:

Let me go ask the 180 people sitting in the UK with their thumbs in their asses if development ended.

Oh, are they just down the hall from you?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

cocaine dad show posted:

no you continued to say that there was no proof of investigations despite being shown where proof is easily obtainable

I'll make my own inquiries regarding the UK thing this week. What I was trying to say, however, was that if there was a serious investigation underway, someone would have gotten word of it.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ManofManyAliases posted:

True, but WC was a damned long time ago, and regardless of "creative" inspiration, Chris has never been able to deliver a product when the limitations of the hardware don't have him by the balls (as it certainly did in 1990). The very best chance of Star Citizen and/or Squadron 42 becoming a reality (at any scope) would have been 1) keeping Chris Roberts around for his "creative" inspiration, and 2) hire someone else to actually call all the shots.

Chris being in charge, stem to stern, held accountable to nobody, is simply not a situation that will result in a game. For SC to even have an inkling of a chance to become something, Chris Roberts absolutely must have the scope of his powers and responsibilities reduced. Hundreds of employees, all more skilled and intelligent than he is, are worth literally nothing as long as he remains God-Emperor of this project.

That's the entirety of my point. Chris Roberts cannot make a game. He can help visualize it, he can provide his input - but he can't deliver, he can't write, he can't direct, he can't code. If backers really want to see their game, they would be calling for him to step down and have someone competent take over the project.

That's why I'm not convinced a good number of backers actually give a poo poo whether or not Star Citizen is released. It seems more important to them to elevate their Great Man Myth, rather than actually get a game made.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

imperialparadox posted:

:vince:

Oh, are they just down the hall from you?

I don't live in the UK.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

I can't source it right now, but I'm fairly certain CR or Erin mentioned in an ATV that they do seek capital elsewhere.

So you have no idea what sources there are, if any exist at all, and haven't the slightest idea whether or not they would make the tiniest bit of difference.

Also, look up Phil Wattenbarger.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

I can't source it right now, but I'm fairly certain CR or Erin mentioned in an ATV that they do seek capital elsewhere. Even Ben alluded to this in a dev post on forums when he responded to someone was to why they don't release financials (likely one of you guys who still had an active account at the time).

Not to mention, that's what businesses do: it's highly unlikely you only have one stream for income.

I can confirm that CR and Erin mentioned that. I can also confirm that just saying that you seek capital elsewhere doesn't mean that you will get it.

Not to mention that's what businesses do: they say whatever it is required to keep confidence high in them.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ManofManyAliases posted:

It was related to the ongoing revenue. And it was a line of credit (that's not exactly income), for which they need a healthy stream of "income". Adding debt to debt - the american way to failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Oh right, the magic money. You know, this does come across as slightly hypocritical considering your demand for sources to accept even the most banale statement about the development when somebody else makes the claim.

• Locked thread