Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fister Roboto posted:

Welcome to Hell.

:unsmigghh:

Although, if you really wanna do this: get something to 50 and start it through moogle dailies asap, because god drat is HW crafting total bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

In other words if you only play DRK in exdr always open with DA power slash on bosses and drop grit?

If you feel comfortable then hell yeah, grit is for pussies.

I usually rock at least 2-3 strength accessories when doing 60-69 content (And level 70 stuff has strength so same thing), so typically I don't bother using DA on power slash - if you keep a pretty high personal dps, you can easily keep hate even if all you do is one normal power slash combo before you drop grit. Remember to actually mitigate big tankbusters mind you, since your HP is actually kinda fragile like this.

Parse yourself if you wanna cry as you beat more than half of the actual dps players you find in dungeons.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Just finished Nidhogg quest.

God that music is so loving good.

Doing that as a dragoon is probably a high point for me that the game is never going to match.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sarrisan posted:

Parse yourself if you wanna cry as you beat more than half of the actual dps players you find in dungeons.

If you're trying to improve your DPS, running a parser is just step 1. That said, this isn't hyperbole - I've out-damaged DPS on my DRK I just got to 70 and barely know how to play.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

:unsmigghh:

Although, if you really wanna do this: get something to 50 and start it through moogle dailies asap, because god drat is HW crafting total bullshit.

Does it get better in SB? I've almost got my crafters all to 60 and am leveling gatherers to 70 now, but crafting is my next project.

Also--how hard/viable is it to level crafting through collectibles? Can you hit the collectibility marks with NQ gear and crafting macros you found online or do you need like, pentamelded HQ gear and accessories, perfect technique, and a lot of luck?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

DRK is the easiest tank to optimize your DPS. Just making sure you never overflow MP or Blood, always have enough MP to DA Carve and Spit as soon as it comes off cooldown and use Delirium Blood Weapon as much as possible will get you like 90% of your possible DPS.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

How long would you say it'd take to do 400 unsynced Ifrit trials solo to get the Dungeon Master achivment? I really want to be a mentor and found out it that works

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

How long would you say it'd take to do 400 unsynced Ifrit trials solo to get the Dungeon Master achivment? I really want to be a mentor and found out it that works

As a level 70 Red Mage you can oneshot ifrit in 2-3 seconds (varying slightly). Loading time in and our can be around 20-25 seconds (varying more or less on loading speeds/hd/etc) so it's aboooout 30 seconds a run, maybe a bit more or less.

I'd recommend doing other things instead. Grind up a horse or something. It'll take longer but feel less tedious.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Also when you blood weapon you probably want to do ...3 DA 1 CS 2... because anywhere else you put this is gonna clip or eat the DA.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Do other DRK players have to swap into grit during boss fights to avoid dropping aggro? Like i start in grit and establish hate but if i switch out and go full DPS mode i tend to start losing to the DPS about halfway through.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Glagha posted:

Do other DRK players have to swap into grit during boss fights to avoid dropping aggro? Like i start in grit and establish hate but if i switch out and go full DPS mode i tend to start losing to the DPS about halfway through.

No, don't swap into grit. Just use your aggro combo again if you have to.

You shouldn't need to if you start with a DA'd aggro combo but if you do just do another one and you'll be fine for the rest of the fight.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

No, don't swap into grit. Just use your aggro combo again if you have to.

You shouldn't need to if you start with a DA'd aggro combo but if you do just do another one and you'll be fine for the rest of the fight.

Well there's the classic exdr BLM boss opener of: Foul, b4, f3, f4, foul, manaward, accept raise

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
On the same note as the DRK and grit questions; should I be bothering to go into sword oath during stormblood leveling dungeons? I can survive for the most part without shield up, but at least at level 67 I can not hold aggro at all on anything but bosses. I could probably spam flash more but I feel like eating the time flashing in shield could be better spent spinning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Well there's the classic exdr BLM boss opener of: Foul, b4, f3, f4, foul, manaward, accept raise

Okay, fair enough, maybe two DA'd aggro combos at the start if you're feeling overwhelmed although after that you probably can forget aggro exists for the fight.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
If you have really good dps who are not using diversion or other aggro dumps, then holding hate can be tough on longer fights if your co-tank isn't shirking you properly.

If your talking exdr then usually the boss is dead before people can catch up to me with the exception of the SAM I raid with (gently caress sam for not having a proper enmity dump).

If you are outgeared it may be tougher, as well.

EDIT: FWIW I never go sword oath during dungeon packs; the damage is variable enough I figure it's best to just stay beefy and give the healer more room to spam holy. There is only so much thought I'm willing to put into optimal exdr strategies though. Mind you, I also pull wall-to-wall whenever I can get away with it so the incoming damage is no joke.

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 12, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Never turn on sword oath for AOE, it wastes a GCD and all you get is some extra auto-attack damage on a single target. Turning off shield oath without turning on sword is a good idea though. You can turn off shield oath, pop circle of scorn, and then turn it back on in less than a second. You can also obviously turn it off while you have hallowed ground up.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Mister No posted:

On the same note as the DRK and grit questions; should I be bothering to go into sword oath during stormblood leveling dungeons? I can survive for the most part without shield up, but at least at level 67 I can not hold aggro at all on anything but bosses. I could probably spam flash more but I feel like eating the time flashing in shield could be better spent spinning.

Don't bother leaving your tank stance for anything other than the bosses or unless you really just want to. The gains are miniscule.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's crazy how useless sword oath is. like 2 percent more damage going from shield to sword compared to 20-25 for drk and war?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sinners Sandwich posted:

400 unsynced Ifrit trials solo

WHY?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I really want to be a mentor

WHHYYY??????

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Step into the newbie zone and become a good mentor

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I became a mentor right when it dropped because I already qualified. I spent about 5-10 minutes in the newbie chat channel before deciding I hated it and leaving. I still have the crown but I've never mentored anybody besides like explaining bosses and never been asked anything specifically because I'm a mentor.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

it's crazy how useless sword oath is. like 2 percent more damage going from shield to sword compared to 20-25 for drk and war?

not accounting for the -20% damage on shield oath, sword oath gives way more than 2% damage increase. i dunno the exact numbers but checking my one of my random logs (fflogs separates normal auto attacks and sword oath autos) then sword oath contributes about 60% of the damage my autos give, which is itself 15-17% of your total damage.

this is considering a single target mind you. the gains go way down as the number of targets increase.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I legit try to help out as a mentor. In dungeon, advice either gets no response or a hearty gently caress Off so I generally don't bother with that any more.

Novice Network is at best a lovely linkshell, and at worst a minor ERP channel. Good advice like dropping tank stance or healer dpsing will have half the channel trying to poo poo on you. I've seen ice mages get poo poo on, but that's the bar. Half the responses to questions are just unfunny troll answers. People clique up to whoever's popular and support them through the dumbest things. Did you know that the level 70 Dragoon quest was bugged, and was literally impossible unless you had 310+ gear? Well Lamia's novice network did, and god help you if you argue other wise. And kick someone from the channel when they're supporting bestiality or ethnic cleansings? You now have a dozen people reporting you to GMs. Kicking for anything less is pointless because it ends up in a race of all their friends trying to kick you out first.

I put up with it because I like to argue with idiots on the Internet. (It's me. I'm the idiot.)

Mentor roulette is just dumb. Oh look, Ramuh extreme with 3 noobs and the tank just pulled as soon as it loaded. Good fun.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I sit in novice network because I figure if I'm there I'm stealing a slot from another shittier mentor. Don't say poo poo unless you're helping someone though, and don't gently caress with other crowns.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

It's 25 extra potency per second. That's huge. That would be like having an OGCD with a 60 second cooldown that does 1500 potency.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Uh. Your calculations are off.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I'm a mentor and I enjoy my daily mentor roulette. I don't know why you'd be a mentor otherwise. The only value it has to me is being thrown into almost any content in the game. I don't mind that that also includes ex trials. In fact, if there was a mentor ex roulette that only put me in ex trials and coil and savage Alex, I'd queue it all day long.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If you are going to grind trials for mentorship or ponies or whatever do them as a tank so you make progress towards a tank mount like some dumb loving cat or whatever

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Here's a 3 minute parse on paladin. As you can see, auto-attacks are actually the plurality of your dps. Sword oath accounts for about 43% of that, so about 11% of your total, putting it between the contribution from riot blade and royal authority. It increases your total dps by about 9-10%.

Also you're just wrong about the other tanks. Deliverance only increases your damage by 5% and your crit rate by up to 10%. Dark knights don't even have a dps stance. Darkside doesn't count because it's always on, even in grit.

Paladins do get less dps from turning off their tank stance, but that's actually because their tank stance lowers their dps by less.

So yeah, sword oath is good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's a 3 minute parse on paladin. As you can see, auto-attacks are actually the plurality of your dps. Sword oath accounts for about 43% of that, so about 11% of your total, putting it between the contribution from riot blade and royal authority. It increases your dps by about 9-10%.

Also you're just wrong about the other tanks. Deliverance only increases your damage by 5% and your crit rate by up to 10%. Dark knights don't even have a dps stance. Darkside doesn't count because it's always on, even in grit.

So yeah, sword oath is good.

Deliverance does more than 5% because you swap inner beast and unchained for fell cleave and inner release but you'd basically have to do a parse to tell what the actual final % is.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Deliverance does more than 5% because you swap inner beast and unchained for fell cleave and inner release but you'd basically have to do a parse to tell what the actual final % is.

That's a good point, unfortunately I don't have warrior at 70 yet.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'm an idiot and forgot shield oath gave you negative dps. i have no idea where i got two percent from, but somewhere my math teacher is screaming.

deliverance is only a five percent dps increase but defiance is a twenty percent dps loss, so it's a 25 percent bump from when you're actually tanking. it's different on drk and pld but because the stances are off the gcd for war there's never a reason to not be in one. darkside is a toggle that increases your dps by 20 percent, deciding to not call it a stance is entirely arbitrary

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Darkside has 100% uptime regardless, it's mostly a question of whether you're in grit or not, as grit has a -% to dps.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Are there global chat channels? Not that I miss trade spam and the like but I was wondering how people communicate with players that aren't right next to your character.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

If you are going to grind trials for mentorship or ponies or whatever do them as a tank so you make progress towards a tank mount like some dumb loving cat or whatever

It won't work for Ifrit cause it only lists high end trials

Dick Trauma posted:

Are there global chat channels? Not that I miss trade spam and the like but I was wondering how people communicate with players that aren't right next to your character.

That's what the novice network is. At level 12 or 15 you'll get a pop up for it. You're also able to use it if you've been unsubbed for a long period until you surpassed 70 game hours. Or become a mentor which I am trying to aim for.

As for being a mentor I have never had a bad experience in a dungeon or novice network, I guess I'm fortunate. I'm usually very vocal in dungeons and frequently get recommenced player due to my latent charisma.

Sinners Sandwich fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 12, 2017

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Dick Trauma posted:

There's Yell or Shout, which let's you chat across a map. But those aren't really used except for maybe in the Hub Town and people asking for invites into Hunts.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

The only public global channel is the novice network, which is like if Blizzard was like "need tips on how to play the game? just go to barrens and shout". There is FC chat and linkshells for private chat channels, though

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Dick Trauma posted:

Shout is the closest thing, and that is zone wide. It's the orange text. Beyond that, I guess there are linkshells which are private chat channels. There is also FC chat.

As an aside did they ever fix the fact you can't whisper people in dungeons? I haven't tried in ages.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I am hella PEEVED posted:

As an aside did they ever fix the fact you can't whisper people in dungeons? I haven't tried in ages.

Your party is a family, no secrets should be shared between brothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think they mentioned that awhile ago, might get fixed when they do the cross server chat stuff