Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

yeah lol who uses firefox?

firefox is literally the least shameful thing in that image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

MrMoo posted:

RMS with Tor only. He upgraded from wget and sendmail.

well god bless him. that is almost usable :shobon:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

i wonder if there's a way to make a windows firewall anti-exception that completely blocks tcp just for whatever process backs that search bar.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Search the web and Windows

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Metrication posted:

office 2016 preview 2 looking good friends

would it kill them to make the coloured bar and the search bar line up

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
windows 8.1 has a really cool feature called "mouse lag" which makes your mouse stutter and so far it is my absolute favorite feature of microsoft windows 8.1, the operating system that cares about its users

Nasty Stanky Bitch
Dec 20, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

Search the web and Windows

Oh yea

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

anthonypants posted:

windows 8.1 has a really cool feature called "mouse lag" which makes your mouse stutter and so far it is my absolute favorite feature of microsoft windows 8.1, the operating system that cares about its users

project stutter

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fame Douglas posted:

& Nokia DT-900 Qi charging plate: Great product, it's charging my Nexus 6 right now!

they were selling the charging pillow for $10 earlier this year but i missed out on it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

not too long ago i helped a friend of my dad who got cryptolockered on a w7 machine. he did everything you could do right but it seems got hit by either a drive by flash exploit or a malicious flash "update" malware install banner

either way he reinstalled the os (via geek squad the guys 70 so w/e) but asked me for advice so i steered him toward a chromebox upgraded to 8gb of ram for about $200 total. he describes it as "exactly like my old computer except it works without any hassle"

its astounding to me that ms doesnt seem to get that there is a nontrivial amount of people (mostly olds) who just want a machine that works without them having to do anything. if youre going to have a million skus for poo poo and chromeos is eating your lunch at the low end why wouldnt you focus on at least one sku for the "simple working os" crowd? i understand this is the company that constantly sends updates for the updater and then uses that to push adware and broken updates but christ how hard is it to just buckle down and build something people want to use and add all the enterprise and poweruser bullshit as addons to a fundamentally sound os?

i guess theres so much intertwined cruft that it would be impossible to separate out the poo poo that has a million dependencies from stuff 90% of users need and work from there but its just maddening to watch in the same way watching a mentally challenged kid try to assemble a jigsaw puzzle must be. all the pieces are there and you know what people want just do it gently caress

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

LastInLine posted:

not too long ago i helped a friend of my dad who got cryptolockered on a w7 machine. he did everything you could do right but it seems got hit by either a drive by flash exploit or a malicious flash "update" malware install banner

either way he reinstalled the os (via geek squad the guys 70 so w/e) but asked me for advice so i steered him toward a chromebox upgraded to 8gb of ram for about $200 total. he describes it as "exactly like my old computer except it works without any hassle"

its astounding to me that ms doesnt seem to get that there is a nontrivial amount of people (mostly olds) who just want a machine that works without them having to do anything. if youre going to have a million skus for poo poo and chromeos is eating your lunch at the low end why wouldnt you focus on at least one sku for the "simple working os" crowd? i understand this is the company that constantly sends updates for the updater and then uses that to push adware and broken updates but christ how hard is it to just buckle down and build something people want to use and add all the enterprise and poweruser bullshit as addons to a fundamentally sound os?

i guess theres so much intertwined cruft that it would be impossible to separate out the poo poo that has a million dependencies from stuff 90% of users need and work from there but its just maddening to watch in the same way watching a mentally challenged kid try to assemble a jigsaw puzzle must be. all the pieces are there and you know what people want just do it gently caress
too_many_cooks.flv

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
you're talking about microsoft releasing a OS that is completely different from anything they ever done. I mean, how modular are the newer versions of windows?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
what need is there for modules when one windows can do everything on every platform?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

i don't think ms knows what people want though?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
so apparently you're not supposed to run windows msus or diagcabs from a network volume, and if you do you will get strange errors

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

anthonypants posted:

so apparently you're not supposed to run windows msus or diagcabs from a network volume, and if you do you will get strange errors

probably permissions to resources the user msis run under can't get to so it unavoidably breaks?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LastInLine posted:

i think thats what they tried to do with windows rt but they still hosed it up by way of microsoft

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

probably permissions to resources the user msis run under can't get to so it unavoidably breaks?
well the msus get "the system cannot find the path specified" and you'd think a windows update package could find %systemroot% but i guess not. the diagcabs get error 0x80300113, which is apparently really rare unless your system clock is off, if the internet is anything to go by

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LastInLine posted:

they can't because microsoft is an organization that was set up to encourage the most toxic office politics possible by a system that only in the last year or two was dismantled. ms is still run by a legion of middle managers each competing for dominance of their little fiefdom in the eyes of their first line and it shows in their completely lack of direction

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

also microsoft can't actually plan ahead for poo poo.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
microsoft and its products are bad

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

is this specifying that shes 17?

it is

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

carry on then posted:

they can't because microsoft is an organization that was set up to encourage the most toxic office politics possible by a system that only in the last year or two was dismantled. ms is still run by a legion of middle managers each competing for dominance of their little fiefdom in the eyes of their first line and it shows in their completely lack of direction

i know intellectually that this is the reason and i meant why more as a rhetorical question but its just amazing that a company can have so much money and so much marketshare and so many resources and have every bit of that not just negated but actively counteracted by mismanagement

i mean its just incredible that you could take 90s microsoft and turn it into... whatever they are now. like previously you could look at 70s-90s gm as an example of a completely dysfunctional organization making gobs of money selling things that will always at least be in some demand slowly destroying itself through bad decisions but they had labor tensions and competent competitors and externalities that eventually killed them whereas microsoft is a case purely of top down mismanagement. when your organization is more dysfunctional than 70s general motors holy poo poo thats a loving achievement on some grand human scale

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

just the sheer scope of how poorly microsoft is run is something that is deserving of a book and i cant believe it hasnt been written because any time i tell people about it they find it incredibly fascinating because it really is something that is simply beyond belief

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

so apparently you're not supposed to run windows, and if you do you will get strange errors

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

LastInLine posted:

just the sheer scope of how poorly microsoft is run is something that is deserving of a book and i cant believe it hasnt been written because any time i tell people about it they find it incredibly fascinating because it really is something that is simply beyond belief

thurott has a book that might interest u

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

I'm the bonus onenote icon with cock + balls

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

LastInLine posted:

i mean its just incredible that you could take 90s microsoft and turn it into... whatever they are now. like previously you could look at 70s-90s gm as an example of a completely dysfunctional organization making gobs of money selling things that will always at least be in some demand slowly destroying itself through bad decisions but they had labor tensions and competent competitors and externalities that eventually killed them whereas microsoft is a case purely of top down mismanagement. when your organization is more dysfunctional than 70s general motors holy poo poo thats a loving achievement on some grand human scale

it makes a lot more sense when you realize ballmer's dad was a manager at ford. if you take a salesman who grew up in the Detroit auto world and applied it to a software technology company present-day Microsoft is exactly what you get.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

KidVanguard posted:

it makes a lot more sense when you realize ballmer's dad was a manager at ford. if you take a salesman who grew up in the Detroit auto world and applied it to a software technology company present-day Microsoft is exactly what you get.

man that really does explain a bunch

btw i know ive mentioned it before but if anyone likes reading about corporate ships sinking the book crash course by paul ingrassia is a superb read about the american auto industry from its inception to 2008

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

LastInLine posted:

i know intellectually that this is the reason and i meant why more as a rhetorical question but its just amazing that a company can have so much money and so much marketshare and so many resources and have every bit of that not just negated but actively counteracted by mismanagement

yeah, it happens all the time. not just 1970s detroit, but also sears and xerox and ibm and polaroid and kodak and sony and rim. stebe jobs spent the last half-dozen years of his life in near-panic trying to figure out ways to make sure apple didnt fall prey to the same sort of disease. its really really hard to keep a company on top through a changing industry and marketplace because 1) the pressure to keep doing what you did to become successful and not change is so strong and 2) when your company was on top it had so little competition that everyone got fat and lazy and turned on fighting internal turf battles

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

LastInLine posted:

the best part of it is that the people in charge will be rewarded with more money for their spectacular failure than you or i will ever see in our lifetimes

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
e: actually nevermind, that was kind of random and pointless.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 27, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FMguru posted:

yeah, it happens all the time. not just 1970s detroit, but also sears and xerox and ibm and polaroid and kodak and sony and rim. stebe jobs spent the last half-dozen years of his life in near-panic trying to figure out ways to make sure apple didnt fall prey to the same sort of disease. its really really hard to keep a company on top through a changing industry and marketplace because 1) the pressure to keep doing what you did to become successful and not change is so strong and 2) when your company was on top it had so little competition that everyone got fat and lazy and turned on fighting internal turf battles

youre right its just incredible to watch

Mr Dog posted:

the best part of it is that the people in charge will be rewarded with more money for their spectacular failure than you or i will ever see in our lifetimes

capitalism :allears:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

e: actually nevermind, that was kind of random and pointless.

I rather enjoyed that

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
that search bar is loving godawful. at this point why can't ms just straight up copy OSX with spotlight?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

that search bar is loving godawful. at this point why can't ms just straight up copy OSX with spotlight?

they had a perfectly fine setup in windows 7 but can't do that gotta highlight our new features brand synergy

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

sears is a unique case. the guy in charge decided to pit all of the internal divisions against each other in a hunger-games style nightmare inspired by ayn rand

it turned out as well as you'd expect

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2013-07-11/at-sears-eddie-lamperts-warring-divisions-model-adds-to-the-troubles

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

year of linux on the dole

http://www.businessinsider.com/mandriva-goes-out-of-business-2015-5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
the mandriva his company intoa grounda

• Locked thread