Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yes, Vince. It's all those midgets' fault. Ignore the fact that AEW are kicking your rear end up and down the street with guys you couldn't get over, and keep thinking that if you make them taller and less mobile, it will all turn around.

Hey pal, go put on this hazmat suit and cut a 5 minute promo about how the audience are doo doo heads and how the girls have cooties. It's good poo poo, pal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Blaise330 posted:

any other women near 40 years old who should be scared they're gonna get the mercedes treatment?
Oldest Folks in NXT

42 - Samoa Joe
39 - Danny Burch
38 - Drake Maverick, KUSHIDA, LA Knight, Roderick Strong, Timothy Thatcher
37 - Dexter Lumis, Santos Escobar, Franky Monet
36 - Karrion Kross, Tomasso Ciampa
35 - Oney Lorcan, Candice LaRae
34 - Joaquin Wilde, Kyle O'Reilly
33 - Johnny Gargano, Ridge Holland, Dakota Kai, Xia Li

Kind of funny that a lot of those over 35 people are relatively new signings/re-signings. I would say a lot of these people are 'safe' but who the hell knows at this point.

In terms of main roster women, the only ones in this age band are

43 - Tamina
40 - Shayna Baszler
39 - Asuka, Natalya
37 - Nia Jax
36 - Eva Marie
35 - Charlotte Flair
34 - Becky Lynch
33 - Carmella, Naomi

Likewise a year ago most/all of these people would be considered totally safe (maybe not Shayna in that period post-Heyman) but now, it's anyone's ballgame for future endeavors.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Blaise330 posted:

Old guys just have this weird fetish for big guys. Cornette only calls AEW All Petite Wrestling. Like personally I'm kinda over how big a guy is after I've seen them the first time or so. Like the first time I saw Commander Azeez I was like "daaayum" and the first time I saw Omos I was like "daaaaaayum" then the 2nd time it's like "k, cool, here they are again". The only time a wrestler ever being small annoyed me was Marko Stunt cause its like... dude I know you can't control your height but at least lift some weights.

Big women are still cool though, let's go Kamille.

It's an 80's thing, everyone was roided up to the gills and people just don't accept that everyone has moved on to fast and spectacular as the mainstream

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmfao

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Lmao remember like a month ago after Vince visited the Performance Center and there were reports from people there like “it was really positive, a real breath of fresh air” and Vincels were like “hahaha you stupid marks thought he was gonna fire everyone”

I believe the phrase was "stop being loving weirdos about everything"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I wasn’t watching during hunter’s reign of terror but I assume the schadenfreude for those of you that did is out of the lower atmosphere based on where mine is

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's an 80's thing, everyone was roided up to the gills and people just don't accept that everyone has moved on to fast and spectacular as the mainstream

"But when people see how big they are when they bump into them in the airport they'll be like 'WHOOOAAAA'. That's the poo poo that draws money"

Can we stop hiring 60-70 year olds to run wrestling companies please?

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 8, 2021

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Bring in Russo and reboot NXT with New Blood vs Midgets Club

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

DMorbid posted:

Oh boy, it's Ruthless Aggression 2.0. Soon, we're back to WWE fans talking about how nobody actually cares about good matches or that workrate bullshit you IWC smarks always go on about. Can't wait!

Nah. Alarm bells started going off for me when they changed the RAW theme to that Union Underground poo poo.

DMorbid posted:

Oh yeah, hmm, I guess Ruthless Aggression 2.0 might have been a bit inaccurate then. What did they call the period in the mid to late 00s when most of those people were gone from the company? (Aside from various synonyms of "terrible", that is?)

Toothless Aggression

FullMetalJackoff fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 8, 2021

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

hgh on a pole match. get the juice or loser leaves town.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Prichard: While we're turning back the clock a bit, how about we bring divas back? I haven't seen a bra and panties match in a hot minute

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Edge & Christian posted:

Oldest Folks in NXT

42 - Samoa Joe

I wonder if Joe can pull off a new record and be fired by WWE twice in one year

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Rarity posted:

By dodging this round of releases, Drake Maverick let us down when it comes to this achievement. He does have a curse where people he teams with or manages gets released though

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Lamuella posted:

They have a point. What kind of dumbass company would try and get short guys over?

i would rather see ryback wrestle than the skateboard kid

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sanguinia posted:

Ah yes, noted main character box office attraction Curtis Axel.

Also I bet Adam Cole felt real good when he read that "No more midgets in their 30s," memo.

Also the idea that Vince is going back to Ruthless Aggression is wrong, he's going back to WWECW. Marcus Corvon. Brayden Walker. Abraham Washington. Sylvester Terkay. That's the calibur of wrestler Vince wants filling out NXT's roster. In place of the Finn Balors, Sami Zayns, Samoa Joes, Seth Rollinses and Kevin Owenses who apparently have been nothing but failures.

The saddest thing is even if Vince finds his next Roman Reigns through this method he'll just spend a decade loving him up again.

Monty Brown ruled, take it back.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Gonna be real exciting to see the new record low ratings NXT gets every week because of this change.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Would unironically consider watching an hour of this product if they brought back Monty Brown and Vladimir Kozlov for that hour

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i would rather see ryback wrestle than the skateboard kid

It's not illegal to have awful opinions.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Imagine being a WWE diehard stan, defending absolutely everything they do and saying the company cannot fail ever. In general imagine it, but especially imagine it being the case on January 1 2021

Later that month it's announced the company's abandoning ship on its failure of a Network and moving to Peacock
By April the Network's dead in the US; also NXT bails on Wednesdays after failing to cripple AEW
A few months later NXT gets stripped to barebones
They just admitted the international expansion's dead and the Performance Center's a failure

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 8, 2021

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'm looking at the list of every main event in the last 10 years, and its literally all Guys From Ruthless Aggression Or Attitude Era, and then people Vince wouldn't want in NXT because they're not potential main characters or box office attractions since they're old or short:

Like, the only people who main evented a PPV in the last literal decade Vince would want are Shaemus, Roman Reigns, Baron Corbin and Charlotte. This isn't counting Ryback or Braun because he fired them, of course. Maybe Drew and Lashley, but they're probably so old they wouldn't have been rehired. Maybe Ronda because she's a star outside the company, but I dunno, look how short she is...

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 8, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The dark timeline where WWE actually got a foothold in Japan is such a grim thing to consider.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

DarkstarIV posted:

Gonna be real exciting to see the new record low ratings NXT gets every week because of this change.

They should take it off TV to make room for more Law and Order

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Drakkel posted:

It'll be like the Jackie Chan fighting game where if you beat Jackie Chan he just no-sells it and gives you a thumbs up

It would actually work perfectly for him because in the intro, he can use the same line of "I'm Triple H! This is my game!" and have The Game as one of his three versions in it (not including the Mysterious Lion).

Also, he would absolutely not give a thumbs up, he'd just stand up, put on a pair of sunglasses, and smirk.

forkboy84 posted:

Monty Brown ruled, take it back.

Thank you for beating me to this. Anyone who uses the POOOOOOOUUUNNNNCEEE!!! (period) rules.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Did looking like an action figure ever matter a lot to the mainstream crowds? Those are the guys that got chances, but guys like Dusty, Jerry Lawler, there were lots of guys who got over who didn't. It seems a lot more important that you cut exciting promos, have a consistent and distinctive character, and have charisma. Looking like Brian Cage helps a bit, but it doesn't make up for lacking any of that.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The only people in WWE that are "safe" are probably like Roman, Becky Lynch and Omos because he's a big lad but that's only until they come across an even bigger lad. Not even people that joined recently are safe: Alex Zayne signed in like January, Tyler Rust was there for literally four months and just debuted on TV.

This talk of "more cuts to come" and whatever makes me think that there could be people on that Takeover card (either officially already, or on the internal card they are building to) that get cut immediately after. Like at this point would it stun anyone if they released Kross in September? If they decided that WALTER's "I'm not working in the US" contract was too much of a hassle? If Gargano and Ciampa's insistence that they never want to work the main roster didn't fit with the new vision of NXT? There are things that might happen that would surprise people even though I don't know whether they should at this point.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
So place your bets now: Will Vince's version of NXT draw more than 500k viewers or less than 500k? And in the 18-49 demo will it be higher than .15 or lower?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

DarkstarIV posted:

So place your bets now: Will Vince's version of NXT draw more than 500k viewers or less than 500k? And in the 18-49 demo will it be higher than .15 or lower?

I would bet there's a bit of intrigue for the first episode, and by the third episode it's under.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

El Generico posted:

Did looking like an action figure ever matter a lot to the mainstream crowds? Those are the guys that got chances, but guys like Dusty, Jerry Lawler, there were lots of guys who got over who didn't. It seems a lot more important that you cut exciting promos, have a consistent and distinctive character, and have charisma. Looking like Brian Cage helps a bit, but it doesn't make up for lacking any of that.

They were over with the only person that mattered, Vince.

That meant they got treated like a big deal, and crowds react to that.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Omos showing up on NXT this week: “You know who I am. But you don’t know why I’m here”

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

This talk of "more cuts to come" and whatever makes me think that there could be people on that Takeover card (either officially already, or on the internal card they are building to) that get cut immediately after.

Someone elsewhere said it feels very much like a curtain call show. I've thought about that more and more since the cuts

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Omos showing up on NXT this week: “You know who I am. But you don’t know why I’m here”

"You know who I am" is pretty generous here

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
They already said no one over 30 for NXT! The older giants will have to skip straight to the main roster, so the Raw Breakout Tournament 2022 can feature Vladimir Koslov, Big Dan Rodimer, Matt Morgan, Eric Escobar, Jackson Andrews, Bam Neely, Eli Cottonwood, both of the Gymini, and any of the giants they've released from NXT in the past year, all of the people who never got the shot they deserved thanks to BIZARRO WORLD fans incorrectly cheering for people who don't even wow them at airports.

Lil Braun Strowman will be the special referee for all of the matches, and will have to pass a YOU MUST BE THIS TALL TO BE IN THE TOURNAMENT sign mournfully before entering the ring for each match.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

IceAgeComing posted:

Omos because he's a big lad but that's only until they come across an even bigger lad.

I think he's safe unless Hagrid's brother gets signed

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

An important thing to remember is that Vince has the attention span of a goldfish so everything could potentially go back to business as usual within two weeks. But this is much funnier.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Rarity posted:

I think Jannetty got fired twice in 1993.

I wonder if nxt uk is going to survive this. Apparently a lot of contracts are expiring soon, and even though the company is obsessed with creating content I doubt viewership in the US exceeds the 4 figure range each week.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

NienNunb posted:

An important thing to remember is that Vince has the attention span of a goldfish so everything could potentially go back to business as usual within two weeks. But this is much funnier.

True, but Bruce Pritchard, Johnny Ace, and Kevin Dunn do not. And Kevin Dunn in particular does not like NXT because of its production quality. Probably the lack of 394,727 camera cuts per minute.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I think Jannetty got fired twice in 1993.

I wonder if nxt uk is going to survive this. Apparently a lot of contracts are expiring soon, and even though the company is obsessed with creating content I doubt viewership in the US exceeds the 4 figure range each week.

I don't see how they could, they're not running shows with any real frequency, it doesn't draw big money, and like a lot of the talent in the US NXT, there seems to be no rush to call any of them up.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Bruce running creative, Johnny Ace running talent relations, only roid monsters to get hired...

Are they trying to manifest the year 2007?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Dunn is right to hate NXT's production. It looks like it's shot in a warehouse. It looks like poo poo.