Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

It's a lot of reading for myself. Poking at free game offerings. Modding the games I do own. Saving what bit of money I do get for gas to drive to interviews. Still trying to find work. Getting interviews that fall through.

I played a bunch on a Republic Commando. I think i got to level 16 or so. Got Sgt Catman following me around healing me. There are some curious things they have monetized in game. like being able to hide your helmet (fixed with a decorative slot headband), or have a third hotbar for your skills. The number of abilities I've got feels a bit crowded, and Ive got 30+ levels of more coming before i hit the f2p cap there. Missions feel easy, Silver and Red enemies melt, so being optimal is hardly an issue, and it feels like certain powers are not meant for soloing, but rather i should only be pulling this out if i am on a team and burning down a boss/elite and can do so in peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

winterwerefox posted:

It's a lot of reading for myself. Poking at free game offerings. Modding the games I do own. Saving what bit of money I do get for gas to drive to interviews. Still trying to find work. Getting interviews that fall through.

I played a bunch on a Republic Commando. I think i got to level 16 or so. Got Sgt Catman following me around healing me. There are some curious things they have monetized in game. like being able to hide your helmet (fixed with a decorative slot headband), or have a third hotbar for your skills. The number of abilities I've got feels a bit crowded, and Ive got 30+ levels of more coming before i hit the f2p cap there. Missions feel easy, Silver and Red enemies melt, so being optimal is hardly an issue, and it feels like certain powers are not meant for soloing, but rather i should only be pulling this out if i am on a team and burning down a boss/elite and can do so in peace.
Although the solo part of TOR has never been especially challenging, it's become much easier still over the course of the years. You level much faster than before, but you can't really over-level because every planet/instance is capped to a certain level and if necessary it virtually levels you down. If you're technically over-levelled you don't really have to worry about your gear, and your companions no longer have their own gear at all (just stuff that fits into gear slots for cosmetic purposes). Nowadays, your companions can also fulfil any role - they used to be either DPS, tank, or healer - and are much more powerful than before, too. Knowing how and when to use all your abilities definitely isn't required anymore for solo content (if it ever was), although it can still help you get through fights quicker once you get to higher-level planets.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I did the entire commando story while using a blaster rifle because I thought it looked cooler so yeah you don’t really have to worry about peak performance for solo content

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Pryce posted:

Did you accidentally press your Toggle Run/Walk button? It should be "Numpad /" by default.

No, that was the first thing I checked. It's a weird stuttery jank like he's stuck in the ground, then he runs fine if I jump or strafe a little.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Unrelated: This game is nice on an Ultrawide monitor. Highly recommend swapping it over to one, if you have a multi-monitor setup.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Unrelated: This game is nice on an Ultrawide monitor. Highly recommend swapping it over to one, if you have a multi-monitor setup.

Ahh the days of playing WoW on a 15" CRT with a gazillion add-ons...raiding was like driving to work before the windows are properly defrosted.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
It's been clear for a long time Bioware wants to simplify and homogenize gearing so why is poo poo trap gear like Fatesealer Relics still in the game? Also which dev that failed high school math and graduated college with an Anthropology degree even designed On Use Relics?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I like the tank relic that gives you a 4000 hit point shield every 40 seconds, but doesn't have Endurance on it so you lose 5000 hit points permanently.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Given that I'll never finish playing through the Eternal Throne stuff, please spoiler me on the light/dark choice outcome regarding valkorian in my head

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

It's been clear for a long time Bioware wants to simplify and homogenize gearing so why is poo poo trap gear like Fatesealer Relics still in the game? Also which dev that failed high school math and graduated college with an Anthropology degree even designed On Use Relics?

I don't think I've used the On Use function on relics ever.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i used to in 2012 when there were a lot less buttons to press

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

clone on the phone posted:

Given that I'll never finish playing through the Eternal Throne stuff, please spoiler me on the light/dark choice outcome regarding valkorian in my head

All roads lead to sitting on the throne. Surprise, valkorian was playing you because he wanted your body. You destroy him and then either rule the galaxy with an iron fist or hippy dippy happy people holding hands and use the eternal fleet to provide relief. It doesn’t matter, it all falls apart.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Realistically, anyone who thought it was a good idea to trust the loving EMPEROR of all people is an idiot.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Cease to Hope posted:

there were a lot less buttons to press

Seems like this should be the thread title, tbh.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I mean, there really weren't though. They super simplified the move sets in 4.0 and even more so in 5.0. For example, my Operatives opening move set was -

From Stealth, Acid Blade, Hidden Strike, Acid Blade, Backstab.

Now Acid Blade is automatically applied and Backstab and Hidden Strike are the same move, only difference is if you are in Stealth or not.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Preechr posted:

It doesn’t matter, it all falls apart.

Having only done part of ET (for some reason I enjoy Fallen Empire and will happily go through it repeatedly, ET can't keep my enthusiasm), does it actually fall apart on screen or does the game just ignores that you run an empire and a poweful battlefleet for the sake of the plot?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Airspace posted:

Having only done part of ET (for some reason I enjoy Fallen Empire and will happily go through it repeatedly, ET can't keep my enthusiasm), does it actually fall apart on screen or does the game just ignores that you run an empire and a poweful battlefleet for the sake of the plot?

A little of column A, a little of column B. I never really felt like I was king poo poo of the most advanced and powerful military force the galaxy has ever known. The folly of a two-front war aside, nothing after KOTET really sells you on the idea that you've got the whole Eternal Fleet and all of the resources thereof at your command. Iokath doesn't really do anything to contradict this at all, given that most of it is about siding with one faction to deny superweapons to either of them.

In the next plot line, your fleet gets taken away, which was essentially the only reason you could actually go around dunking on the Republic or Empire. The Nathema Conspiracy essentially neuters you back to being a famous name with a few holdings but no real power. Thus, as the Resource Wars (I don't know if this is the canon name for what is about to go down, but it's my headcanon name) begin, you're forced to join forces with either of the two superpowers.

So, in short, the game does take your power away in the narrative, but ultimately you never feel like you had that power to begin with, so it is a wash.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Airspace posted:

Oh, it falls apart onscreen. You lose your doom ship and your bullshit fleet. You retain most personnel and your planet.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Preechr posted:

Oh, it falls apart onscreen. You lose your doom ship and your bullshit fleet. You retain most personnel and your planet.

No more Gravestone? :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

No more Gravestone? :(

If you want the full spoilers the latest Operation reveals that Iokath was controlled by 7 robot "Gods", and you fight the first 6 in that Operation. The cult of Zildrog is trying to awaken Zildrog himself, and it's revealed that the reason the Gravestone is so powerful is because it's actually Zildrog himself. So he wakes up, kills most of the Eternal Fleet before you blow him up.

It seems cheesy but I actually liked the twist, it was a good explanation for why it was so powerful and a good way to take it away from you

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

If you want the full spoilers the latest Operation reveals that Iokath was controlled by 7 robot "Gods", and you fight the first 6 in that Operation. The cult of Zildrog is trying to awaken Zildrog himself, and it's revealed that the reason the Gravestone is so powerful is because it's actually Zildrog himself. So he wakes up, kills most of the Eternal Fleet before you blow him up.

It seems cheesy but I actually liked the twist, it was a good explanation for why it was so powerful and a good way to take it away from you

That's pretty hosed up. Thanks for the info -- I haven't played in a while. :tipshat:

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

At least anything they come up with moving forward for the story will be an improvement. Then they just need to bring back OCE servers and I’ll play again.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
welp I read the spoilers and actually liked them a lot, I'm redownloading after leaving around the first fallen empire thing to see if I still like this game. Probably gonna start fresh to decide if I want to actually pay fifteen bucks to get access to the expansions and all but sounds like a fun time honestly.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Honestly, there are worse ways to spend $15.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I'm debating running through some planetary quests just for story/titles, which ones were the really good ones. There's the Gree one on Coruscant, the Revanites one on Kaas, the Czerka one on Tatooine, Imperial side Taris off the top of my head.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Belsavis sets up the dread masters, but I forget if it’s any good or not

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I grabbed an Amazon bundle that was 90 days and a bunch of coins for cheaper than they'd be normally. Anything super cool to get in the store special or is it just get what I want that doesn't seem too costly? I got a couple fun boxes that gave me a neat speeder, as couple cute pets, some misc bullshit I think is currency (a certificate and I think it said...shady real estate papers?) and a crystal I genuinely love for my lightsaber so I already have had a better experience with these than a few other games lootboxes.

Does that Ewok companion DO anything, like have a storyline or something, or is it pure "it fights for you, nothing more"? I kinda love the idea but I dunno if it's worth the price to just get another meat shield.

SurelyForth
May 21, 2007

Treek does have conversations, but otherwise she just fights for you. Since you can't get her until level 10 at the earliest, and since every companion can fill any role these days, she's mainly just a thing to buy if you loving love Ewoks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'd hold onto your coins in case you get a cartel weapon or speeder or something that you really like, then you can pay 60-400 cartel coins to unlock that item in your collections so any character you make can use it. You can buy cartel items on the GTN (auction house), but the only way you can unlock them in collections is with coins.

Edit - Don't buy Treek unless you really, really WANT an Ewok. In early days she was the best divorcing l companion in the game since she could tank or heal, but now all companions can do that and she lost her unique skill set.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Bummer, I do love ewoks but if she can't offer anything better than a chat line every so often it's too much...maybe on a sale...

Good to know about unlocks, though!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
along the same lines, i have an akk dog i picked up for an absolute song and i can't decide if i want a good lizard boy or to sell it for like 15m profit

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

I'd hold onto your coins in case you get a cartel weapon or speeder or something that you really like, then you can pay 60-400 cartel coins to unlock that item in your collections so any character you make can use it. You can buy cartel items on the GTN (auction house), but the only way you can unlock them in collections is with coins.

Edit - Don't buy Treek unless you really, really WANT an Ewok. In early days she was the best divorcing l companion in the game since she could tank or heal, but now all companions can do that and she lost her unique skill set.

Treek and HK-47 were a big deal back when they came out. Only reason I bought Treek was I was so tired of Kaliyo I couldn't bring myself to log into my Agent to progress enough to get the next companion.

Treek's still okay for her opening cinematic with punching a guy in the privates and her short storyline of her backstory but that's about it.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

Bummer, I do love ewoks but if she can't offer anything better than a chat line every so often it's too much...maybe on a sale...
You know how every companion repeats the same lines during and after combat? Well, so does Treek, but in Ewok. Bear that in mind before you spend any money on her. Incidentally, I'm too lazy to check right now, but can't you still just buy Treek's contract with in-game money? You used to be able to acquire it with 1 million credits once you'd reached legacy level 40.

There's also HK-51, who's actually got a personality and is (in my opinion) a lot of fun to have around, but you can only get him via a protracted and in some parts extremely tiresome series of missions. They're not all bad though, and after you've done it once you can unlock HK-51 for every subsequent character. Does cost 1 million credits per unlock though, so I find it best to level up a character, then move part of their funds to a new one.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

You also have membership for 3months so you should be bumrushing one of the story modes or making a level 60 and jumping straight into KotFE (don't actually do this, the base storylines are still the best thing in this game) since you get a bunch of companions that way and once you get into the expansions you will literally have 20+ companions to choose from, who can all do any role.

The one thing you should definitely buy asap are the Rocket Boots since you can use them basically everywhere and they speed up movement.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Fuzz posted:

You also have membership for 3months so you should be bumrushing one of the story modes or making a level 60 and jumping straight into KotFE (don't actually do this, the base storylines are still the best thing in this game) since you get a bunch of companions that way and once you get into the expansions you will literally have 20+ companions to choose from, who can all do any role.
How many of those would you actually want to use on any regular basis, though?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Quick note on Treek and Hk-51
While Treek cannot tank and heal at the same time like she used to, she still has her unique animations, so you can still see her healing you by throwing watermelons and if you out her in tank mode she uses a hand glider to dash to the enemy.

Hk-51 still has a lot, if not all, of his special abilities, like assassinate

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Siegkrow posted:

Hk-51 still has a lot, if not all, of his special abilities, like assassinate

When was the last time you played? HK-51 lost Assassinate in 4.0. He may still have an ability called Assassinate, but the original ability that made him awesome (being able to one shot any silver or lower enemy) is long gone.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

How many of those would you actually want to use on any regular basis, though?

Blizz
HK-55
Z0-0M
Khem Val
The Togruta pirate guy
Uh...

HK-55 still has Assassinate.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fuzz posted:

HK-55 still has Assassinate.

No he doesn't. He was introduced in 4.0 so he has the generic 'Single Gun Ranged Companion" move set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Preechr posted:

Honestly, there are worse ways to spend $15.

I've been trying to subscribe as a new player (i played years ago but have 0 clue of my login info.) and when I try to send a verification email it never shows. Junk mail is empty too. IS this a known issue? Its been about 15 minutes.