Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

This image encapsulates everything about this "game."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mr. Pickles posted:

all the posts about Lum the Mad and how he's been sucking Garriott's dick have been removed afaik, so no real point in reading this imo

Lum's posts are still here tho

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I dont recall Lum promoting the game particularly aggressively or anything like that, he just repeatedly claimed things were fine when they very clearly were not. I honestly dont know what people expected him to do though, for him to just poo poo all over his employer by admitting the game he was working on was a mess probably wouldnt end well for him.

I do have to wonder if Lum looks back on the arc of his life over the past 20 or so years and wonders where it all went wrong though. Talk about becoming the very thing you hate.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Yes, exactly. I'm also kinda thankful all those mean posts I made about Lum sucking dick have been removed from the archives, because wth

But I can't help but be mad at how those scammers took all that money and then sent Lum here to gloat about it

Like, "haha we're old and dumb and we took your money, here's a story about some rich fucker shooting an uzi, whose dick I also sucked"

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

CoffeeBooze posted:

I dont recall Lum promoting the game particularly aggressively or anything like that, he just repeatedly claimed things were fine when they very clearly were not. I honestly dont know what people expected him to do though, for him to just poo poo all over his employer by admitting the game he was working on was a mess probably wouldnt end well for him.

I do have to wonder if Lum looks back on the arc of his life over the past 20 or so years and wonders where it all went wrong though. Talk about becoming the very thing you hate.

Lum literally made his name calling out garbage like this “game”. He was a trustworthy friend to consumers precisely because he would hold game makers’ feet to the fire. He loved the industry, and because of that love, he challenged it. He wasn’t particularly clever, nor inside, nor technical - just honest. The only thing he brought to the discussion was his zeal for calling out bullshit where bullshit landed.

Lum brokered his reputation for shroud of the god dang avatar and that is, in turns, both hilarious and sad.

All he had was his reputation for scathing honesty. Now? Whoops my bad, play this totes awesome game

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

IKR???

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I backed this in 2014 because I had have brainworms. Eventually I got slightly better and stopped paying attention to it. So far, haven't played it and don't want to play it. I think I was supposed to get some physical "rewards" but I never put my address in and missed the cut-off for that. I hope Space Cadet British enjoyed my donation to his charity fund.

That's my Shroud of the Avatar story.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

so did garriot put all the money in his bank account because you could’ve made a proper game for a fraction of what they raised.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

so did garriot put all the money in his bank account because you could’ve made a proper game for a fraction of what they raised.

Yes, the goon money is now safely deposited in the personal account of Richard Garriott, soon to be deceased

disclaimer: I am not going to kill him, but there's a thing called karma (totally real), and according to karma if you steal goon money you die horribly

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Mr. Pickles posted:

Yes, the goon money is now safely deposited in the personal account of Richard Garriott, soon to be deceased

disclaimer: I am not going to kill him, but there's a thing called karma (totally real), and according to karma if you steal goon money you die horribly

He needed exactly that amount of money to test something.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Licarn posted:

I backed this in 2014 because I had have brainworms. Eventually I got slightly better and stopped paying attention to it. So far, haven't played it and don't want to play it. I think I was supposed to get some physical "rewards" but I never put my address in and missed the cut-off for that. I hope Space Cadet British enjoyed my donation to his charity fund.

That's my Shroud of the Avatar story.

Why the gently caress do you people back for so goddamn much? Like ok I've backed one game ever and that was battletech for like $25 bucks, and here you guys are throwing "I blew my families christmas money on hotdog guy" levels of cash at a guy who hasn't made ANY game since the early aughts" for a game that lol lets face it, even if it was good was going to be a one time $60 purchase.

I mean I make bad money decisions to the tune of buying wildstar when it came out, but that was like a $60 oopsie.

EDIT: I felt the same way before we knew SC was a scam and goons were like buying $500 bucks worth of internet spaceships. I can't justify spending more than a few dollarinos for "Maybe a product someday".

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Rhymenoserous posted:

Why the gently caress do you people back for so goddamn much?

One word... reputation.

We like to point at Star Citizen as the prime example of throwing money down the shitter. But, let's look back at the nineties. Back then, Chris Roberts came out with the Wing Commander series of games, which were consistently great (albeit with hefty hardware requirements), while our buddy Derek Smart was making GBS threads out terrible games and broken promises. So, when Crobber announced he was giving birth to The Greatest Game Ever, and Smart called him a fraud, people threw money at Roberts and laughed at Smart. Why? Because Roberts had a good reputation and Smart had a lovely one.

Lord British hasn't made a good game in a long time, but the ones he made long ago were awesome. Ultima V in particular was so good it ought to be hung on the Smithsonian wall. So when LB unveiled a new Avatar game, thousands of forty year old nerds fondly remembered their childhoods spent slouched in front of the Commodore 64, and sent British their kids' college funds. Reputation.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the wing commander games were not consistently great what the gently caress are you smoking

even gaming magazines back then gave them like 6/10 at best

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gynovore posted:

One word... reputation.

We like to point at Star Citizen as the prime example of throwing money down the shitter. But, let's look back at the nineties. Back then, Chris Roberts came out with the Wing Commander series of games, which were consistently great (albeit with hefty hardware requirements), while our buddy Derek Smart was making GBS threads out terrible games and broken promises. So, when Crobber announced he was giving birth to The Greatest Game Ever, and Smart called him a fraud, people threw money at Roberts and laughed at Smart. Why? Because Roberts had a good reputation and Smart had a lovely one.

Lord British hasn't made a good game in a long time, but the ones he made long ago were awesome. Ultima V in particular was so good it ought to be hung on the Smithsonian wall. So when LB unveiled a new Avatar game, thousands of forty year old nerds fondly remembered their childhoods spent slouched in front of the Commodore 64, and sent British their kids' college funds. Reputation.

Yeah but I'm one of those 40 year old nerds, and I remember Ultima 8, 9 and Tabula Rasa. He lost the thread well before he stopped making games.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

the wing commander games were not consistently great what the gently caress are you smoking

WC 1 and 2 and Privateer were great. And yeah that's about it.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

Why the gently caress do you people back for so goddamn much? Like ok I've backed one game ever and that was battletech for like $25 bucks, and here you guys are throwing "I blew my families christmas money on hotdog guy" levels of cash at a guy who hasn't made ANY game since the early aughts" for a game that lol lets face it, even if it was good was going to be a one time $60 purchase.

I mean I make bad money decisions to the tune of buying wildstar when it came out, but that was like a $60 oopsie.

EDIT: I felt the same way before we knew SC was a scam and goons were like buying $500 bucks worth of internet spaceships. I can't justify spending more than a few dollarinos for "Maybe a product someday".

Spending money floods your brain with happy chemicals and people are bad at understanding abstract concepts like money

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I spent 100 dollars on the Barkley 2 Kickstarter campaign but at least I got a body pillow out of it.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Gynovore posted:

One word... reputation.

Did you fall into a hole around the release of WC2? Crobbler's last effort was a project so badly mismanaged he was thrown off it in the hopes they could cobble together an ok game.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Byolante posted:

Did you fall into a hole around the release of WC2? Crobbler's last effort was a project so badly mismanaged he was thrown off it in the hopes they could cobble together an ok game.

I thought it was freelancer he got chucked off of by Microsoft in hopes a game would actually happen... this happened more than once? :v:

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I thought it was freelancer he got chucked off of by Microsoft in hopes a game would actually happen... this happened more than once? :v:

Yeah, he hosed up Strike Commander so much they had to throw out all of his poo poo

I've never understood why people think studios are inherently their friends, since in order to not collapse and lose their jobs they have to turn a profit somehow. it's like thinking the guys at a dealership are your friend or have "a reputation" because the cars look cool? but that's how it goes

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Gynovore posted:

One word... reputation.

lol

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I have two four words for you. Gillian. Anderson. Kevin. Spacey.

My money was well spent

e: gary. oldman.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 18, 2018

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I almost backed Shroud on the power of rose coloured glasses, but then I remembered Tabula Rasa, and Freelancer, and my sad realisation that the superstar devs of yesteryear didn't have any idea how to work with modern management and coding demands.

I would have only been out forty bucks though, because I'm poor and not THAT stupid.

I hope the Coles are going to be all right. :(

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

you could invest the money you saved on Sea of Thieves. I'm on the fence about that one too, as goons seem to be having loads of fun with it

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Did Sea of Thieves ever get more content? I remember at launch people saying that it was fun for a dozen hours or so, then got repetitive as hell and unfun.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Nope, no notable content additions afaik, just sweet pubbie tears in a colourful setting with boats and stuff

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
I was drunk when I backed SotA so I didn't remember about Tabula Rasa until later :(

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Don't buy sea of thieves

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Don't buy sea of thieves

Why not

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Don't buy sea of thieves for console

FTFY

If you like griefing, then the game is custom built for that and a hilarious good time. But don't play it on console or the PC players will roll right over you.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

btw it's f2p now

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

mike12345 posted:

btw it's f2p now

Sea of Thieves or SotA?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's been ftp since early this year, but the restrictions on it prevent you from having what little fun could be had.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's been ftp since early this year, but the restrictions on it prevent you from having what little fun could be had.

oh poo poo thought that was new

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

guess I was right after all, it's now fully f2p

https://www.pcgamer.com/ultima-inspired-mmo-shroud-of-the-avatar-goes-free-to-play/

quote:

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues, the Ultima-inspired MMO developed by Richard Garriott's Portalarium, has gone fully free-to-play. The change comes just seven months after the game entered full release, and four years since it first became available as an Early Access game on Steam.

"We are thrilled to open up Shroud to a larger audience of gamers," Garriott said in a statement. "We have removed almost all gameplay restrictions from our free players. Now those players can trade freely with other players, own land and play through the entire story! This means that you no longer need to make a purchase to have the Shroud of the Avatar experience!"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Basically the game is on its last legs and will shut down soon. Going free to play this quickly is always a bad sign.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It's one of the weirdest, worst MMO's I've ever played. I'll never forget zoning out of the newbie zone and being placed in a Playstation 1 style JRPG overworld.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

Basically the game is on its last legs and will shut down soon. Going free to play this quickly is always a bad sign.

Wasn't that always the plan? f2p and make bucks off of micro-transactions?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Nope, their plan was to create a supe rsuccessful virtual economy like UO and get stinking rich selling unity houses

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Frog Act posted:

Nope, their plan was to create a supe rsuccessful virtual economy like UO and get stinking rich selling unity houses

so the plan was stupid straight from the get go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I said come in! posted:

Generally, shifting quickly through a bunch of payment options means "We're circling the drain".