Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I’m playing Trails in the Sky. It’s really fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought I figured out a good skill combo in Vampire Survivor because everything was just melting and I leveled up so hard all my options were just gold/chicken but the last minute was just absurd. Still a good game though, thanks for recommending it thread OP.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I tried playing Guardians of the Galaxy but didn't get too far into it (an hour or two max?). I'm not sure if it's my type of game but I should give it another chance.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just finished Pizza Tower (highly recommend). Next up is Outer Wilds, but I'm not starting it yet because it seems like the kind of game I have to clear my schedule to start and my wife wants to finish the current season of her dumb reality show so I'm holding off until that's done (we have a kid and free time is at a premium)

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Looks like we can finally play Halo MCC without going through moonlight:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2023/04/halo-the-master-chief-collection-gets-steam-deck-support/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

Just finished Pizza Tower (highly recommend). Next up is Outer Wilds, but I'm not starting it yet because it seems like the kind of game I have to clear my schedule to start and my wife wants to finish the current season of her dumb reality show so I'm holding off until that's done (we have a kid and free time is at a premium)

Outer Wilds is one of the best games I’ve played. My partner and I went through it together, playing for a couple hours a week on Sunday mornings. She likes puzzles and adventure games and I like flying spaceship. We both cried like babies at the end. Can’t wait for the rawness to fade so we can play through the dlc. You’re in for a treat

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Heran Bago posted:

Checking in, what are y'all playing?

Two main things right now are Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk when I have time and One Finger Death Punch 2 for quick breaks. I don't have Decky installed or anything. It all works out of the box.

In Labyrinth, I made it to the second to last area of the main game. Originally, I wanted to get into the post-game, but the more I read about what it involves and how little of a story payoff that it has, the less I think I'll go through with it. That said I should have >90% achievements done just by beating the regular game and that's fine by me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ace Combat 7, Final Fantasy 12, Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters, Halo

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Ace Combat looks so loving good on this thing. I'm not even a huge fan of the gameplay but I run through a mission here and there just to gawk at it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Suburban Dad posted:

I tried playing Guardians of the Galaxy but didn't get too far into it (an hour or two max?). I'm not sure if it's my type of game but I should give it another chance.

I liked it fine but Spider-Man and Miles Morales set the superhero game bar way too high.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Heran Bago posted:

Checking in, what are y'all playing?

RE4 Remake still has its claws in me, tbh.

Squeezing the big AAA games onto this thing isn't really my use case for the Deck (infact I think I prefer the opposite of cranking that power wattage down and "listening" to the fans being silent) - something which Dead Space cemented pretty firmly with a range of performance options and settings that I just couldn't get right. RE4 plays like a dream though. I've got it running at a near enough locked 40 and I think it looks and plays great.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bumhead posted:

RE4 Remake still has its claws in me, tbh.

Squeezing the big AAA games onto this thing isn't really my use case for the Deck (infact I think I prefer the opposite of cranking that power wattage down and "listening" to the fans being silent) - something which Dead Space cemented pretty firmly with a range of performance options and settings that I just couldn't get right. RE4 plays like a dream though. I've got it running at a near enough locked 40 and I think it looks and plays great.

FYI the village is really taxing because of the woods/vegetation but everything after the game can easily stay at 60 no problem

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

tuyop posted:

Should I play through chrono trigger for the first time in an emulator or with the remastered version on steam? ($20CAD)
I bought this on Steam for, reasons. I never did own the SNES cartridge, but I do have the DS one.

I believe Steam Chrono Trigger is emulated and not a native port, but it does have cutscenes and the new translation. The emulation seems OK. The "high-res" graphics is either an hq2x or xbr filter--I'm not sure which of the two it is, but it's pretty clearly one of them. Personally I don't think it looks bad on a game like Chrono Trigger but they're not redrawn sprite graphics like the FF PRs.

Personally I think it's a tossup. If you want to buy it for $8 (or CAD equivalent) when it goes on sale, as it does every month, you could do worse. You'd probably also be just as fine with the SNES ROM.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It has some but not all content from the DS version so if it is emulated it’s also some weird half-mobile-port freak.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

loquacius posted:

Next up is Outer Wilds, but I'm not starting it yet because it seems like the kind of game I have to clear my schedule to start and my wife wants to finish the current season of her dumb reality show so I'm holding off until that's done (we have a kid and free time is at a premium)
Outer Wilds was the first game I played when I got my Deck last summer, as I had been waiting on the Switch version to come out (which still hasn't, and I suspect isn't actually possible to port). It is a fantastic game, perhaps the best of the metroidbrania genre. You'll have a great time.

The only issue with the Outer Wilds on the Deck is that it's a pretty CPU heavy game since it has to do realtime planetary simulations. For graphics settings I turned Shadow Quality to Low, and SSAO/Water/Lighting Effects to Medium leaving the rest at defaults, then ran it at 40 Hz. It worked pretty well with that setup, although I wonder now if it's one of those games that would benefit from SMT being disabled. I'm not sure how many cores the simulation uses.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

It has some but not all content from the DS version so if it is emulated it’s also some weird half-mobile-port freak.
Any chance they originally added that content in like 1996 or something and just never shipped it?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No, it was content added to the DS version specifically. It also had a new translation which the mobile and PC versions share.

The only thing missing from that port is a post game battle arena you could access from the main menu with some online functionality. I can’t remember if the mobile versions had that or not.

It’s also like 800mb on disc so if it is emulated they’ve also bloated the gently caress out of it with mystery content

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I bet the cinematics they added are a big issue. The resolution of the DS is super tiny, so a video that looks even a little bit passable on a normal screen will be way, way bigger.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s also like 800mb on disc so if it is emulated they’ve also bloated the gently caress out of it with mystery content
Yeah that's not a surprise. My favorite these days is DOOM. All the actual game data is only like 15 MB, but then it has another 300 MB or so of intro logo videos.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Man, we've got another baby coming in 3 weeks and the way people are talking about this game maybe I should just hold off and live on phone games and Vampire Survivors for a few months so I can play it when I'm capable of focusing on things instead

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The only issue with the Outer Wilds on the Deck is that it's a pretty CPU heavy game since it has to do realtime planetary simulations. For graphics settings I turned Shadow Quality to Low, and SSAO/Water/Lighting Effects to Medium leaving the rest at defaults, then ran it at 40 Hz. It worked pretty well with that setup, although I wonder now if it's one of those games that would benefit from SMT being disabled. I'm not sure how many cores the simulation uses.

Is that why it runs like such poo poo? I wondered. It confused the hell out of me when I started it up and saw how it ran with defaults, considering its whole visual aesthetic isn't exactly photorealistic.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

tuyop posted:

Can’t wait for the rawness to fade so we can play through the dlc
No spoilers, but in the DLC's options there's a toggle for something like "reduced fright". Turn that on - not for any spooky scary moment sequences, but it tweaks a gameplay segment that I found frustrating enough to sort of ruin the whole experience for me. :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rolo posted:

I liked it fine but Spider-Man and Miles Morales set the superhero game bar way too high.

Amen, those were amazing. I just played Miles Morales around Christmas this year and it was :kiss:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Outer Wilds is the scariest game I've ever played lol, I can't handle the underwater stuff at all

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Outer Wilds is the scariest game I've ever played lol, I can't handle the underwater stuff at all

Scarier than Subnautica? Because that game holy crap. I both do and don’t want to try that in VR

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

priznat posted:

Scarier than Subnautica? Because that game holy crap. I both do and don’t want to try that in VR

I had to stop playing that also

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I had to stop playing that also

I normally don’t watch reaction vids but someone recommended me one of a streamer playing it and her reaction to one of the leviathans was amazing.

Man I love Subnautica what a great game. I should really get around to finishing the sequel.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Squiggle posted:

Is that why it runs like such poo poo?
Minor spoilers, but when you nap at a campfire it turns all graphics rendering off and just runs the simulation on the CPU. Time is supposed to pass much quicker this way, but on the Deck it only passes by slightly faster.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Ahhhh, clever clue. It does certainly explain a lot! You can get it comfortably 40fps, I was just surprised how hard I had to hit the graphical settings to get it there.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

For the most part, I don't think the game is intended to be scary. It's not a horror game. That said, the first time I flew into Dark Bramble and was eaten by anglerfish I decided to stay away from Dark Bramble for a long time, and yes I think that reaction was intentional.

Generally though, when the focus of the game is discovering why an ancient race went lost, who were also attempting to blow up the sun there's just this inherently uneasy feeling as you keep playing. The first time I saw inside Ash Twin from a projection pool and saw a third mask I almost flipped out thinking there was a third person--perhaps a Nomai--alive and aware of the time loop but nah it's just the computer.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's not scary in the traditional sense but I have never felt so much existential dread playing a game as I did with Outer Wilds. It's extremely good though.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

All this Outer Wilds and Subnautica chat is gettin' me jazzed.

Outer Wilds has been on my TODO list for a while but I'm waitin' for some wife time for it, and Subnautica throttled a great balance between super relaxing and nope Nope NOPE.

Trucker Hat posted:

Two main things right now are Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk when I have time and One Finger Death Punch 2 for quick breaks. I don't have Decky installed or anything. It all works out of the box.

In Labyrinth, I made it to the second to last area of the main game. Originally, I wanted to get into the post-game, but the more I read about what it involves and how little of a story payoff that it has, the less I think I'll go through with it. That said I should have >90% achievements done just by beating the regular game and that's fine by me.

Labyrinth of Refrain was my game of the year the year I played it. I'm currently playing Labyrinth of Galleria.

I actually thought the postgame plot additions were extremely poignant and pushed it over the line from good to great in my book. But I do recall it being a bit tedious.

Labyrinth of Galleria is good fun mechanically it its plot goes in a lot of places. A lot. But it also follows a similar trajectory taken to the extreme -- I got to the point where I was done engaging with the mechanics, and decided to look up the rest of the cutscenes on YouTube.

It turns out I'd already watched 12 hours of cutscenes and there were still 6 hours left. And, I'm not kidding, thousands of levels of randomly-generated dungeon to "explore".

I'm enjoying my TV and I'd recommend the same to you -- play the game 'til it stops being fun, but watch the cutscenes on YouTube.

They've got a lot of rough edges, but the first one was worth it overall, and I appreciate that they're tryin' stuff. Ambitious but flawed.

Though take a break between Labyrinth games. They're mechanically pretty similar.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The heat sink pad thing on the JSAUX backplate gets extremely hot. Like "will give you a burn if you forced yourself to touch it for more than a second" hot. I guess because it absorbs the heat the fans don't need to run as strongly? It's not a huge issue since you normally won't come close to touching that part, but it's something I have to stay mindful of.

ConanThe3rd posted:

At 'deck resolution?

Either that or 720p, can't remember.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 6, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Macichne Leainig posted:

It's not scary in the traditional sense but I have never felt so much existential dread playing a game as I did with Outer Wilds. It's extremely good though.

Is it worse than The Talos Principle in terms of existential dread? That game has the most :smith: atmosphere of any game I've ever played.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Antigravitas posted:

Is it worse than The Talos Principle in terms of existential dread? That game has the most :smith: atmosphere of any game I've ever played.

Alas, I haven't yet gotten to The Talos Principle, so I can't say :(

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
I've had my deck for a couple of weeks and I'm mostly playing Vampire Survivors, Max Payne 3 and "Fill My New Deck With Games".

Max Payne gives me a weird urge to get drunk in solidarity.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Antigravitas posted:

Is it worse than The Talos Principle in terms of existential dread?
The game is literally about an existential crisis. However I wouldn't really say it's oppressive, and ultimately it has a hopeful message.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Talos Principle ftw

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Outer Wilds came on to my radar from some random comment I read somewhere online where a guy mentioned it in his top games of the year. He wrote something along the lines of "Buy this and play it now! That's an order!"

It is just about as good as games get, in my opinion, and is probably one of the smartest and most rewarding media experiences you can have full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Anyone who plays Stranger of Paradise (steam) on the Deck let us know if it works well or if it's easy to get started!