Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
If I remember correctly they said they wanted leveling dungeons to speed up and 50/60 dungeons to slow down.

Which is fine by me. I want to get through LDR as quickly as possible, and 56dr is no big loss since that's not worth it in the 60s anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I also saw that it looks like when you put up a PF for raids that you can do them unsynched?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Just how essential is managing overheat in casual play at 70 MCH? All this posting is making me scared of capping, but it's the ranged DPS of my choice and I have 29 levels to go.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's actually not that hard, but very important. Just hit cooldown at 95 if you don't want to overheat yet.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I think it will be reduction in HW leveling dungeon HP and slight increase in 15-49. 15-49 dps went up significantly in stormblood since traits and buffs are baked into skill base potencies in a lot of ways. With the right party makeup you can currently mass pull a lot of ARR dungeons and melt them instantly. Haukke Manor with any combo of rdm/sam/brd/mch/blm/smn and a warrior or dark knight can just loving melt everything in there in a few GCDs.

OTOH, HW dungeons are still monstrous slogs because mobs are just HP sacks still, and the skill/trait consolidation has no boost at all on DPS at these levels and might be a hindrance for some jobs.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

It's actually not that hard, but very important. Just hit cooldown at 95 if you don't want to overheat yet.
Yeah they made it a lot easier in one of the early stormblood patches and all you really have to be wary of is not completely zoning out doing the 1-2-3 RNG combo and going over since it's trivially easy to stay between 50-95. The only real concern is making sure you're high enough to easily overheat once wildfire comes off cooldown.

Also gently caress wildfire. :geno:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kuai posted:

drat I really want to buy a mansion in kugane but ill be like 25mil short.

what are the chances of getting banned for buying gil? i just want a stupid big rear end house to decorate

I think they do an extra check for gil buyers after plots open.

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

I've seen a few posts in the past couple of days in this thread where people were lamenting how clunky the feel that 4.0 SMN is. While pets have been awkward since 2.0; 4.0 SMN is actually quite good and works on a system of lockouts and precise timings. Rather than try to explain 4.0 SMN myself I'm just going to link to a pretty comprehensive and understandable google doc as well as a long and boring video where the author goes over the 4.0 rotation in detail. It's all pretty dry but if you are interested in the 4.0 mechanics of SMN it is worth taking a look.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PpAuOcKTF0SaGq8G9CWXTWqMsIU3IJxzqXd3LQBPy1E/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy_WsB6KrI0

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Kuai posted:

drat I really want to buy a mansion in kugane but ill be like 25mil short.

what are the chances of getting banned for buying gil? i just want a stupid big rear end house to decorate

High enough to not be worth the risk, and it supports account compromises. Housing can be rad, but unless you're at, like, 45-55 million gil or more, I'd say it's better to go with a small plot and/or save up for next time.

Bear in mind 3 extra housing wards were added to each city in early 2016, and in addition to the presumed housing districts in new capital cities moving forward, Ishgard housing isn't off the table (which would be weird if it didn't have 12 wards like all the other cities). It really, really sucks to not get the plot you want (or any at all), but the dev team knows the demand exists and they seem committed to delivering more housing when they can. It's not the worst thing for a mansion to be out of reach right now, gives ya time to save up for the next round.

Anecdotal case - I picked up a small plot in early 2016, when they added 3 new wards to each existing district. A medium plot was just out of reach. Since then, I've picked up enough gil to be able to afford a large plot, with more left over than what I had after I bought the small plot. And that's without reselling, undercutting, or endgame crafting. Just steady play with some awareness of the MB.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Is dropping out of Defiance worth it if you don't have Deliverance unlocked yet?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I need some glamour help goons

I'm working on a DRK glamour that looks like Nier Gestalt and I can't quite find something that's right for the leg slot. Can anyone think of something offhand that looks like this?

I've got just about everything else but the pants are all unsatisfying so far

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Bolow posted:

Is dropping out of Defiance worth it if you don't have Deliverance unlocked yet?

It is a dps increase, yes.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Sarrisan posted:

It is a dps increase, yes.

Even factoring in the loss of Inner Beast/Cyclone?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

was leveling up SAM when I realized that the Sen symbols have notches in them because they're supposed to be fancy crossguards.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ran PotD 101+ with some people for the first time. We got to 187 before wiping.

I was told I'm a top-tier Red Mage. :3:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Bolow posted:

Even factoring in the loss of Inner Beast/Cyclone?

They will never do enough damage to make up for the defiance malus.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Before you have deliverance you ideally only want to be in defiance while unchained is up.

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

I need some glamour help goons

I'm working on a DRK glamour that looks like Nier Gestalt and I can't quite find something that's right for the leg slot. Can anyone think of something offhand that looks like this?

I've got just about everything else but the pants are all unsatisfying so far

I don't think there will be anything with an open toe so you will have to compromise with something like Amateur's Thighboots.

Post the glamour when it's done so I can shamelessly copy it if it's good.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ainsley McTree posted:

Try the Leather Cullotes. The Shisui sandals would work for the foot slot if you didn't want the emperor's footsies.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 7, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Frumply posted:

I've seen a few posts in the past couple of days in this thread where people were lamenting how clunky the feel that 4.0 SMN is. While pets have been awkward since 2.0; 4.0 SMN is actually quite good and works on a system of lockouts and precise timings. Rather than try to explain 4.0 SMN myself I'm just going to link to a pretty comprehensive and understandable google doc as well as a long and boring video where the author goes over the 4.0 rotation in detail. It's all pretty dry but if you are interested in the 4.0 mechanics of SMN it is worth taking a look.

It's possible to know how to play 4.0 SMN and still not like it/consider it clunky.

"Summoner is good you just don't get it, maaan!"
:goonsay:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

orcane posted:

It's possible to know how to play 4.0 SMN and still not like it/consider it clunky.

Kinda like how everyone tells me SCH is really good in 8 mans, but I guess I'll never know because gently caress that.

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

orcane posted:

Could you be more clear and/or specific? I'm not trying to say that you can't like it but I don't understand the complaint of "it's clunky".

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah the important thing to keep in mind is that MCH and SMN and such are doing perfectly fine damage-wise. Square's always been pretty good overall at class balance. They just aren't remotely fun to actually play and there's alternatives that get similar results with far less annoyance.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Frumply posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PpAuOcKTF0SaGq8G9CWXTWqMsIU3IJxzqXd3LQBPy1E/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy_WsB6KrI0

Lockouts and precise timings - perfect for raid content with mechanics. Especially when your other options are RDM and BLM.

Like how do you look at bahamut egi's mechanics and say "yup this is a thing I'd like to perfect" with the other casters in the game.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

orcane posted:

I am sure if you study this 30-page guide that includes a rotation with nine separate phases and precise timings, you will agree that smn is quite intuitive and not at all clunky.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
As someone who has smn as my second or third class and makes no attempt to play it at a high level, it is very fun. I'm sorry that it isn't fun to play at a high level though.

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

AngusPodgorny posted:

I am sure if you study this 30-page guide that includes a rotation with nine separate phases and precise timings, you will agree that smn is quite intuitive and not at all clunky.

I never claimed that it was simple or intuitive. There is a real issue with the jump in complexity from 69 to 70 with the addition of bahamut as it requires you to basically reconsider how you play the job entirely. However, once you adjust the timings on your abilities you are still pressing the same buttons you were at 60 with the addition of the bahamut phase. This is why I can't agree that 4.0 SMN is clunky but somehow 3.0 was fine.

To respond to another post about demi-bahamut the only thing really wrong with it is the way that it behaves when you are moving. Using ruin 2 and oGCDs to maximize wyrmwave procs is entirely what that ability is about. I would love to see improvements to the behavior of all pets but I don't think that is going to happen before 5.0.

edit: To be more clear about why I like 4.0 SMN is because it is not about using a rigid rotation and efficient use of cooldowns to maximize DPS. There are all kinds of adjustments you can make depending on the boss or group of mobs that you are fighting in a dungeon. If that's not your cup of tea that's OK with me but I don't really see the point of criticizing the job for not being as rigid as RDM or BLM because it's not supposed to be.

Frumply fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 7, 2017

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
I am a SMN main but not a hardcore raider (have done both Extreme Primals a bunch, cleared O1S and will clear O2S the next time I feel like messing around with PF, lots of hunts and ExDRs), so can't really comment on top-end play. I think SMN could use some changes, but I'm pretty OK with its DWT and Demi-Bahamut phases--both of them work pretty well for what they're trying to do:

-The Demi-Bahamut phase is basically "hit as many oGCDs as possible (ideally including 3 things that give you Aetherial Attunment stacks) and Akh Morn twice in 20 seconds," which works pretty well; you can be mobile during most of the phase since using actions with cast times during it prevents using the aforementioned GCDs. (It's annoying that you have to be standing still for Akh Morn to go off reliably, but the cooldown is really forgiving and you just need to stay still for a second towards the beginning and towards the end.)

-The DWT phase is "stay still for 16 seconds so you can cast as many Ruin IIIs as possible, throw in Tri-Disaster somewhere during this time, and mash Deathflare at the end." Damage-wise SMN probably suffered from the decision in Stormblood to prevent you from having Aetherflow stacks going into DWT, but this change + the 1-second duration extension made the phase significantly less stressful since you don't have to worry about oGCD clipping. I'm not sure how the 4.1 change to make Ruin III instant-cast will work in practice--it means you don't have to turret but at the same time it'll mean having to hit more buttons (those oGCDs). On the other hand I think the Tri-Bind change is a good move--at the moment when fighting large packs it's frequently optimal to just cash out DWT for Deathflare right away (especially if it means you can hit Aetherflow again), and now it'll almost certainly be worth it to stay in DWT for the full time.

So, that's 16+16+20=52 out of every 2 minutes=120 seconds where things work well. The ~5-10 seconds per minute it takes to use your 3 Aetherflow stacks (the short end of the range is Bane + 2 painflares for multi-target, the long range is 3 Festers for single-target) also works fine--just some weaving of Ruins + applying DOTs between spending the stacks. The issue for me is the remaining 50 or so seconds out of those two minutes where you're basically stuck with Ruin spam (plus I guess a little bit of pet management). The level 60 Heavensward-era SMN had more to do during these times, for a few reasons:
-1 more DOT to apply;
-shorter DOT cooldowns (+ more time hard-casting DOTs since Tri-Disaster didn't come off of refresh when DWT started);
-the need/ability to keep Shadow Flare up 100% of the time;
-the need to run into melee range every so often to use Miasma II;
-an actual spammable AOE attack (Blizzard II, RIP) which also forced you to run into melee range when using it;
-(oh, and I guess we had Spur and Sustain, so there was a bit more pet management as well).

Of course the level 60 SMN didn't have Demi-Bahamut management to worry about, but at least for me the removal of the stuff I just mentioned above has made me feel like I have significantly less to do on a moment-to-moment level. I understand why people say the job is clunky now (and it could be mostly fixed if they made DWT/Summon Bahamut on the one hand and Deathflare/Enkindle Bahamut on the other the same button, since you'll never be using both at the same time), but I'm not bothered by the clunkiness nearly as much as by the dead periods with nothing but Ruin spam.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 7, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i'd be super surprised if they can't follow a "paper trail" for RMT.
they'll catch the account the seller uses eventually and they surely have means to track high money trades/MB sales/however they do it.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

cheetah7071 posted:

As someone who has smn as my second or third class and makes no attempt to play it at a high level, it is very fun. I'm sorry that it isn't fun to play at a high level though.

SMN was my main over on Midgardsormr from like 2.1 up until I jumped over to Excal, and I loved how it played in Heavensward, so I'll admit that I do have a bit of an emotional attachment to it. It really isn't that bad and, if you like how it plays nowadays, more power to you! Also, for all my complaints, I'm slowly bringing ACN up through the levels, and I'll be grinding away like crazy once Demi-Bahamut gets some improvements to its handling. Possibly even before then.

In the meantime, I'm going to level NIN so I can Frog Stomp nerds. It's complex and I suck at it, but it's still fun!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

i'd be super surprised if they can't follow a "paper trail" for RMT.
they'll catch the account the seller uses eventually and they surely have means to track high money trades/MB sales/however they do it.

Yes, this. I know some people who have gotten nailed in this exact way, and I think they got banned for a couple of weeks and obviously had the gil and whatever they bought with it (IIRC it was a house or at least a plot) taken away. Even if the seller doesn't take the money and run, or somehow compromise your account, it's really not worthwhile.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

GuyUpNorth posted:

Just how essential is managing overheat in casual play at 70 MCH? All this posting is making me scared of capping, but it's the ranged DPS of my choice and I have 29 levels to go.

If you're not interested in savage raiding and the sort you honestly probably don't have to care about heat at all if you don't want to, just think of it as a minigame that lets you flip the gently caress out when you get it right. Once you're comfortable with the class in general you can try getting used to the apparently massively complex concept of hitting flamethrower to overheat once you want to Wildfire and the nigh-superhuman feat of weaving oGCDs between your shots during it.

That said Heat is probably the single worst mechanic in the game when it's introduced because you don't have a reasonable way to manage it for the next 10 levels. The one change they genuinely do need to make to the class is give you Cooldown on the same level they give you Heat. There are other problems like massive stretches with no new skills to play with but that's a problem most classes have at one point or another. Many classes also have similar issues to the Heat-pre-62 problem, but Heat is probably the worst.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
If they did away with wildfire and just boosted everything by 5% id be happy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

jalapeno_dude posted:

I am a SMN main but not a hardcore raider (have done both Extreme Primals a bunch, cleared O1S and will clear O2S the next time I feel like messing around with PF, lots of hunts and ExDRs), so can't really comment on top-end play. I think SMN could use some changes, but I'm pretty OK with its DWT and Demi-Bahamut phases--both of them work pretty well for what they're trying to do:

-The Demi-Bahamut phase is basically "hit as many oGCDs as possible (ideally including 3 things that give you Aetherial Attunment stacks) and Akh Morn twice in 20 seconds," which works pretty well; you can be mobile during most of the phase since using actions with cast times during it prevents using the aforementioned GCDs. (It's annoying that you have to be standing still for Akh Morn to go off reliably, but the cooldown is really forgiving and you just need to stay still for a second towards the beginning and towards the end.)

-The DWT phase is "stay still for 16 seconds so you can cast as many Ruin IIIs as possible, throw in Tri-Disaster somewhere during this time, and mash Deathflare at the end." Damage-wise SMN probably suffered from the decision in Stormblood to prevent you from having Aetherflow stacks going into DWT, but this change + the 1-second duration extension made the phase significantly less stressful since you don't have to worry about oGCD clipping. I'm not sure how the 4.1 change to make Ruin III instant-cast will work in practice--it means you don't have to turret but at the same time it'll mean having to hit more buttons (those oGCDs). On the other hand I think the Tri-Bind change is a good move--at the moment when fighting large packs it's frequently optimal to just cash out DWT for Deathflare right away (especially if it means you can hit Aetherflow again), and now it'll almost certainly be worth it to stay in DWT for the full time.

So, that's 16+16+20=52 out of every 2 minutes=120 seconds where things work well. The ~5-10 seconds per minute it takes to use your 3 Aetherflow stacks (the short end of the range is Bane + 2 painflares for multi-target, the long range is 3 Festers for single-target) also works fine--just some weaving of Ruins + applying DOTs between spending the stacks. The issue for me is the remaining 50 or so seconds out of those two minutes where you're basically stuck with Ruin spam (plus I guess a little bit of pet management). The level 60 Heavensward-era SMN had more to do during these times, for a few reasons:
-1 more DOT to apply;
-shorter DOT cooldowns (+ more time hard-casting DOTs since Tri-Disaster didn't come off of refresh when DWT started);
-the need/ability to keep Shadow Flare up 100% of the time;
-the need to run into melee range every so often to use Miasma II;
-an actual spammable AOE attack (Blizzard II, RIP) which also forced you to run into melee range when using it;
-(oh, and I guess we had Spur and Sustain, so there was a bit more pet management as well).

Of course the level 60 SMN didn't have Demi-Bahamut management to worry about, but at least for me the removal of the stuff I just mentioned above has made me feel like I have significantly less to do on a moment-to-moment level. I understand why people say the job is clunky now (and it could be mostly fixed if they made DWT/Summon Bahamut on the one hand and Deathflare/Enkindle Bahamut on the other the same button, since you'll never be using both at the same time), but I'm not bothered by the clunkiness nearly as much as by the dead periods with nothing but Ruin spam.

Reading something like this makes me glad I rarely reach high levels in MMOs. It'd be easier for me to get a math degree.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
So the Chinese server is getting some new outfits and a new mount.

(Taken from Reddit)

Male: https://imgur.com/a/ILdXS

Female: https://imgur.com/a/5Dppk

Mount: https://gfycat.com/SharpUnsteadyHawk

The mount is a flaming segway. Where is it for our version, Yoshida!!!

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

cheetah7071 posted:

That's pretty disheartening. I dropped Summoner for RDM the moment Stormblood hit, but for me Summoner only started getting fun once I started getting access to its tricks in HW. I did not enjoy ARR summoner in comparison. To be fair, I didn't enjoy messing up on my timing so my stacks dropped, but I liked pacing myself to either get as much deeps on a boss as I could or spending it on AOE'ing mega pulls and getting my juice back by the time it was time to nuke the next pack.

I'll see how much things have improved for summoners as I level it to 70.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Captainsalami posted:

They also need to get rid of the RNG rotation and just have ammo do the potency boost and heat management. That alone would solve a lot of issues MCH has I think.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Captainsalami posted:

Wicked same. I could even deal with the RNG poo poo if they just did that but having to put up with both things just makes the class real unfun for me.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
They should just scrap PVE MCH and copy over PVP MCH.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Meldonox posted:

They should just scrap PVE MCH and copy over PVP MCH.

Discovering that MCH was actually cool and strong in PVP was mind blowing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

DarkstarIV posted:

So the Chinese server is getting some new outfits and a new mount.

(Taken from Reddit)

Male: https://imgur.com/a/ILdXS

Female: https://imgur.com/a/5Dppk

Mount: https://gfycat.com/SharpUnsteadyHawk

The mount is a flaming segway. Where is it for our version, Yoshida!!!

Nomura as gently caress. Do want that mount though.