Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
The single biggest git gud moment I've had with impale is realizing how to be smart about remaining stationary. You want elites you can sit and face tank for a bit, so you can really sync up your convention proc in an occulus ring with a full traveler damage stack. If you don't have the survivability to do this you either need to pump gem augments or pick safer elites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

What are you talking about? it's currently near the top and it's the best DH class for sure. I'll look at your poo poo soon, I've cleared 90 and I jussssst missed a 91 today.

On the PC leaderboards, DH currently tops out at 94, whereas Necro is at 110 because it's broken but Wizard and Crusader are both over 100 as well.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

f#a# posted:

This might be forbidden to mention here, but PoE has a huge expansion coming out literally tomorrow.

I also hear good things about The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing (yes, I know the title is dumb).

Van Helsing is a good game, with an alright story thats better than D3s. Just don't expect it to be balanced very well. I have memories of getting completely shut out by groups of summoners that could chain revive each other faster than I could kill them.

Grim Dawn is also fun but had almost no replayability for me. Hoping to get back into it if the xpac ever drops with the new classes.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

adventure mode and rifts have killed other arpgs for me

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Dross posted:

On the PC leaderboards, DH currently tops out at 94, whereas Necro is at 110 because it's broken but Wizard and Crusader are both over 100 as well.

I'm not sure if they'll nerf CL itself or LoTD, but I'm betting that they will hammer the setup somehow as a way to "buff" the other sets.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I think CL is fine but LoD is a touch over the top

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DrSeRRoD posted:

I'm not sure if they'll nerf CL itself or LoTD, but I'm betting that they will hammer the setup somehow as a way to "buff" the other sets.

I think LotD is the bigger offender because it's a long cooldown that destroys every other cooldown besides some novelty GR pushing builds with Simulacrum (that also use LotD). Give Necros more options for consistently generating corpses that fit into current builds and you'll see less of a total reliance on it.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

big nipples big life posted:

It really did. And it kinda makes me sad.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

big nipples big life posted:

Whatever man. Rift ain't nothin but a trumped up Baal run

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Diablo 3 moved pretty far from Diablo 2 while Poe I think stayed with diablo 2 and kept building on it . This lead to I think two pretty different games not even in the same genre Almost.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah I tried to "pick" a favorite ARPG but I eventually came to the conclusion that they are all pretty radically different from one another.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Dross posted:

That's to be expected, who cares about broken necro, and everyone knows manald wizard and hammerdin are good.

94 is probably higher than any monks, barbs or WDs.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
You're telling me that the class that currently costs and extra $15 to play is topping the boards? Who would have guessed this?!?!?!?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

That's to be expected, who cares about broken necro, and everyone knows manald wizard and hammerdin are good.

94 is probably higher than any monks, barbs or WDs.

110 Necro
104 Wizard
98 Crusader
98 Witch Doctor
94 Demon Hunter
92 Monk
90 Barbarian

I'm currently DH #355

Dross fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 3, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dross posted:

I can clear GR80 in about 7 minutes, but I'm hitting a wall after GR84 with Impale DH. I know DH is one of the worse classes for solo pushing this season, but I wanted to play something I didn't have geared out in non season and I'm still about 10 levels behind the top of the leaderboard. My gear is nearly fully optimized except for Endless Walk and headpiece.

Is this a "git gud" situation or maybe a "git more paragon" situation? Where else can I improve?

Here's my current setup: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Dross-1711/hero/92699589

Edit: A better dagger is on the list, I need a higher damage roll and probably attack speed over area damage. Also am I better off ignoring trash and killing elite packs or clearing?

I haven't cleared as high as you have but I noticed you are missing the dmg reduction secondary affixes from chest piece

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Dross posted:

110 Necro
104 Wizard
98 Crusader
98 Witch Doctor
94 Demon Hunter
92 Monk
90 Barbarian

I'm currently DH #355

some higher barbs on console but man thats sad

buff barbs

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Guilty posted:

Two level 70 augments gives you more mainstat than a primal armor piece. That +900 mainstat he can make up with 3 lvl 60 augments. He cannot get +10% damage anywhere else

I don't see how this is relevant since you're going to do the augments either way

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

diminishing returns

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, Hack cubed with crusader is the best thing ever, huh

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

spit on my clit posted:

So, Hack cubed with crusader is the best thing ever, huh

Uh, no

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Dross posted:

I don't see how this is relevant since you're going to do the augments either way

If you have over 9000!!! points in your X, which is better? A 10% boost or 899 points of X?

Now what happens to % vs a flat additive number as the base goes higher?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Secx posted:

With the Jesseth set, if you use Command Skeletons, the skill gets a glowy gold border. I noticed that after they kill the initial target, the skill doesn't get the gold border anymore. I still see the skeletons jumping around though (I think). At that point, is the Jesseth set bonus still in effect?

Keep an eye on the skill, it will basically blink on and off. I'm pretty sure the border indicates that the command effect (be it freeze, frenzy, whatever) is in effect. If it goes off it means they're either on their way to another kill or are chewing on something fat enough that it out lasted the effect.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yeah I tried to "pick" a favorite ARPG but I eventually came to the conclusion that they are all pretty radically different from one another.

I never understood why people feel the need to figure out which one is superior. They're video games. They all get boring after a while. I'm happy that the new PoE release was staggered after the new D3 season like this so I have time to play both.

rip marvel heroes though

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Diablo 3 on Console is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. In Diablo 3 on Console you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the Diablo 3 on Console motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with friends.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

If you have over 9000!!! points in your X, which is better? A 10% boost or 899 points of X?

Now what happens to % vs a flat additive number as the base goes higher?

You missed my point; augments don't "make up" for mainstat on a piece of gear since they are not a variable, they're going to be there either way. It's not a factor in whether 10% or a flat number is better (the value of a percentage boost scales with the size of the stat so in a game with a soft cap like d3 a sufficiently large percentage boost is almost always going to win).

In other news, you know what's awesome? When you have the conduit pylon buff and CoE cycles to lightning.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dross posted:

You missed my point; augments don't "make up" for mainstat on a piece of gear since they are not a variable, they're going to be there either way. It's not a factor in whether 10% or a flat number is better (the value of a percentage boost scales with the size of the stat so in a game with a soft cap like d3 a sufficiently large percentage boost is almost always going to win).

In other news, you know what's awesome? When you have the conduit pylon buff and CoE cycles to lightning.

I think it's more of a matter of, once you're augmenting poo poo on the regular, you're probably over 9k mainstat, and thus 900 mainstat starts losing value compared to 10% damage. It's basically futureproofing.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Larrymer posted:

Oh boy, here goes:

-weapon isn't ancient. Reforge it or upgrade rares until you get another one to reforge while you do everything else on this list.
-reroll offhand piranhas dmg to something useful like garg dmg. You want garg damage on everything that can roll it, basically.
-why did you reroll the secondary on your ancient pants when you could have rolled off life regen? :negative:
-Have you rerolled your rings? Roll off the armor or resist all for crit chance/dmg
-Roll cold damage on your bracers (life regen is not a very useful stat in general)
-roll off wall of death damage on your chest. The gargs are what's doing your damage. Take something more useful like garg damage.
-Roll off armor on your gloves for crit
-Roll off WoD on your shoulders for garg damage
-reforge your helm for int/vit/crit/socket and hope for higher pet dmg%
-If you haven't rolled that amulet, roll off int for cold dmg or area damage

You have potential to be doing a LOT more damage with those rerolls.

Really, just this page tells you what to roll for with that build if I'm not being specific enough.

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/helltooth-gargantuan-witch-doctor-bis-gear-gems-paragon-points

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know to focus mainly on Garg damage.

The weapon isn't ancient because RNG is a fickle mistress. I've been reforging and upgrading rares but the game has other plans.

The secondary I rerolled away on my pants was reduced level requirement. So, yeah.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Dross posted:

110 Necro
104 Wizard
98 Crusader
98 Witch Doctor
94 Demon Hunter
92 Monk
90 Barbarian

I'm currently DH #355

I'm sorry but I prefer to get my Demon Hunter info from someone in the top 10....

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm sorry but I prefer to get my Demon Hunter info from someone in the top 10....

So like nobody you know?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Dross posted:

You can get 900 stat anywhere. You can't get +10% dmg anywhere. Or +7% IAS. Or CDR. Or AD. Or %elemntal or CHC or chd or %skill. You usually keep mainstat, but if you're lucky enough to be in a situation, jewelry or weapons most of the time, to roll away mainstat, it's a no brainer

Edit: addressing what you said, +10% dmg will always be 10% dmg. +900 mainstat will not always be +10% dmg, and in fact, very rapidly drops off

Edit 2: it goes so far as to some hardcore players rolling off mainstat in favor of vitality. Ive rolled rings with vitality, CHC, chd, just for the survivability

Guilty fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 4, 2017

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

f#a# posted:

This might be forbidden to mention here, but PoE has a huge expansion coming out literally tomorrow.

I also hear good things about The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing (yes, I know the title is dumb).

That's def news to me, I might have to check it out.

Larrymer posted:

I've tried PoE, Grim Dawn, Titan Quest, Torchlight 1 and 2 and nothing quite scratched the Diablo itch like Diablo for me.

Yeah, nothing scratches the itch for me either. Although I can definitely say the way they did multiclassing in Grim Dawn was loving excellent, and there's something inspiring about PoE's weird rear end skill tree. Last time Iplayed though you had to loving plan everything out in advance, which is something I'm wholly against in a game where I'm trying to have fun (I know you can reset parts of your skill tree, but if I remember getting th epotion was a grindy rear end pain).
I don't hop on quickbooks when I'm bored, and I don't loving plan out characters that I can't unfuck if I mess up. It's a real turn off and one of the things I'm happy D3 changed.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I don't know if any of you have played Vermintide, but the system they use to change/upgrade a weapons stats is way better than d3's. I wish Blizzard would steal it. I also wish we could change stats how we wish as long as we had mats but gods know they won't change that.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
While we're dreaming of things that'll never happen.

Can we just hit craft on Flawless royals and it spit them out of we've got enough marquis/imperial? I hate the upward conversion.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hobold posted:

Can we just hit craft on Flawless royals and it spit them out of we've got enough marquis/imperial? I hate the upward conversion.

Holy poo poo, please. The only situation where it's not annoying as poo poo is when you want to color-shift gems and you make sets of nine at the tier below where it needs DBs..

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Hobold posted:

Also, we should be able to set which item type the cosmetic pets can pick up.

Right now they pick up gold by default, but I would switch that to death's breath in a goddamn heartbeat.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Vakal posted:

Also, we should be able to set which item type the cosmetic pets can pick up.

Right now they pick up gold by default, but I would switch that to death's breath in a goddamn heartbeat.

They should have made this happen in the same patch that made crafting mats no longer take up inventory slots.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

So like nobody you know?

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

The fact that your pet doesn't automatically pick up crafting mats is loving stupid.

And why the hell aren't gems in the mats section?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Pastry Mistakes posted:

The fact that your pet doesn't automatically pick up crafting mats is loving stupid.

And why the hell aren't gems in the mats section?

Diablo 3 was once a real bad game and now it's a really good game, unfortunately not everything was upgraded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
I really hope there is a sequel or expansion on the way, I kind of agree with that post a little while ago that I'm getting a bit tired of the same thing every time. I do really love the game and mechanics and systems but I can only do the same thing so many times. I was hoping they'd start doing some wacky PoE-tier stuff with Seasons but the most we've gotten is challenge rifts which are only once a week. Can't they do anything to spice it up just a little bit? :smith: