Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

"So anyway doc my marriage was unhappy, our schedules never lined up and he never actually seemed to want to change the things that bothered me and it just seemed like we couldn't get on the same page. Anyway I feel kinda bad now that I'm dating and finding it harder than the unhappy but at least constant life I had before."

"Pft wow sounds like you're a bitch and you never shoulda gotten a divorce, lady."

I mean if you aren't gonna bother to read the post then I dunno what to tell you.

quote:

A week and about a million tears later I was on a therapists couch. I told her everything that had happened starting with the promotion that I got at work. She did not agree with me or with any of the encouragment to divorce that I got. I ended up in her office 2 and sometimes 3 times a week, and the more that I talked to prove that I was right, the more that I started to see how wrong I was. It was truely heartbreaking. I dont know if I cried as much in my whole life as i did in the first month in her office. After about 2 thousand dollars of therapy sessions I learned that my XH had his faults, but I figured out that mine were so much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MarcusSA posted:

Look if its fanfic the person is a very very good writer.

Also I'm sure the therapist didn't actually call her a huge bitch but may have pointed out her mistake.

Nothing about the post reads as untrue though poo poo like that happens :shrug:

quote:

He said that the pain has been too much for too long and that if we got back together that I might just turn around and do it to him again. He said that he always thought that I would realize how much he loved me and stop up until i signed the divorce papers and let out a big over exaggerated sigh of relief. He said that hurt him more than anything else and that he doesnt know if he can ever trust me again. I dont blame him. I destroyed a man who looking back was a great husband. I deprived my kids of having a great father in the house with them and I took his kids away from him. And me, the one who pushed for the divorce expecting happiness and a life of freedom, spend all my free time sitting at home or sitting on a therapists couch.

I mean, come the gently caress on, this sounds real to you? It might as well end with 'but maybe I should give that IT guy at work a chance, he seems like he knows how to really treat a lady'.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pentyne posted:

I was talking to someone who left a relationship after 10 years that was described by her in terms that screamed abuse and red flags, and all her friends were married going on 5-10 yrs plus and so many of them were petty, controlling, bored and cheating, or just always trying to have a singles night with her and cheat on their partners/get revenge for getting cheated on. This isn't one of those "monogamy is flawed" things, just that a lot of people just love the idea of being in a relationship so much they overlook the red flags and lovely behavior just to avoid being single again.

JFC I lead such a blissfully boring life. 20 years next May.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, come the gently caress on, this sounds real to you? It might as well end with 'but maybe I should give that IT guy at work a chance, he seems like he knows how to really treat a lady'.

I honestly have no idea what you are reading.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

sexpig by night posted:

You seem personally offended by this vaguely unusual but still believable post.

You ok buddy?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Radar posted:

speaking ill of the dead :nono:
speaking ill to the dead :hmmyes:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
https://twitter.com/cortmanteau/status/1170826352917745665?s=21

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

:golfclap:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Take swimming lessons, girl!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Edit: sorry, that post pissed me off. I don't want to start myself a probe roll by becoming increasingly angry at like, most of the stuff in the thread

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 9, 2019

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

MarcusSA posted:

I honestly have no idea what you are reading.

It's a little suspect for a therapist to flat-out tell a patient 'you made the wrong choices', let alone 'you were wrong'. Half the point of therapy is to give the patient the tools to come to those conclusions themselves.

Having said that, the post is probably still real, or is at least not too far off from a thing that has happened to someone somewhere. If this particular post is real, I think she's just doing a bad job summarizing what her therapist said. Possibly because she's not remembering right, possibly to reinforce the narrative that she's the victim. We can't really know.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA: For flushing a bully's Yu-gi-Oh cards down the toilet
op rules

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
She just drops the second guy relationship b-plot after the divorce.

Sure, 3 months of FREEDUMB and all, but not a hint of anything else?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for constantly adopting new animals without asking permission from my SO?

For context, I own the house I live in. I work from home and I own a business- I am completely able to take care of the animals I adopt by myself. My boyfriend and I started dating 4 years ago and moved in together 2 years ago. I have always been wealthy, but very good with my money. When we started dating I made sure to let him know I have no self-control when it comes to animals in need and I would adopt any and all animals that needed me.

He lives with me rent-free. He's currently in university studying full time. He does have a job but all expenses go towards paying off his university debt. I pay a maid to come in and clean once a week. The house is completely clean all the time; the animals inside the main house do not make a mess. We have a granny flat outside that I use to keep the rest of my animals.

​Recently we had a massive fight because I brought home a new pet. This would be rescue number 23. I got her from an online listing. She's an incredibly underweight female rat (about half the weight she should be) as well as a URI. She's been checked out by my vet and my vet is confident she'll be completely fine. My boyfriend got so angry at me and said he's sick of all these animals and if I didn't stop rescuing them he'd leave me.

​I told him he was being unreasonable since it's my house and he doesn't see the animals all that often. He responded saying he hates rodents and he hates that I walk around with them on my shoulder constantly (along with handling other animals). He told me it's not fair to him to not tell him I got a new pet until after I got it and I told him it's none of his business what I do in my house. I told him to get the gently caress out of my house until he learned some drat respect. I've done nothing but support him, but I absolutely will not budge about literally saving the lives of animals in distress. I adopt the oldest, most unwell animals I possibly can because no one else would. I work my rear end off every day at work (constantly responding to emails, consulting design team, business meetings etc) to be able to provide for my pets and I'd do ANYTHING for them. I'm considering breaking up with him over this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

He told me it's not fair to him to not tell him I got a new pet until after I got it and I told him it's none of his business what I do in my house. I told him to get the gently caress out of my house until he learned some drat respect.

Yeah thats a pretty rear end in a top hat thing to do / say.

Good for her she's spending her money on animals but 23 seems like a lot I dunno.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

ad090 posted:

AITA for making fun of my grandma for getting a clamming ticket
the telltale clam

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for wearing a “political” shirt to my SOs work event?

To keep it short and sweet, my SO had an informal work gathering this weekend. His boss (not like main, big shot boss — more like slightly above him) was hosting a BBQ at his house and invited us. I was helping my friend with something the morning of the BBQ and I met my boyfriend at the event, so he didn’t see my outfit until we were already at his bosses. As soon as I got out of the car he kinda gave me a weird look and asked if “I was seriously wearing that”. The item in question is a white T-shirt that has a small rainbow and the word equality over the left breast pocket area. Both take up about 5 inches combined, so it’s not like a giant noticeable design.

To be honest I didn’t even realize what shirt I was wearing. I was helping my friend organize her garage and then going to a BBQ where I knew we’d all be swimming so I was just wearing comfy old clothes. It wasn’t like I did it on purpose — but also, my main point, is that I don’t really see it as a “political statement” like my bf does. Equality is a pretty accepted standard that we want, yes? I understand the rainbow implies LGBTQ+ rights (which I am a huge supporter of) but again it wasn’t a super loud or in your face statement.

My BFs point is that he doesn’t know how some of his coworkers feel about those topics and wanted to be safe and not ruffle any feathers. He was offended I wasn’t more careful about how I presented myself to his coworkers (who I’ve met plenty of times and get along with) and I was bothered he suggested I go home and change because I didn’t think my shirt was even a political thing in the first place. AITA?

ETA - a minor note, this wasn’t an “official” work event. It was a very casual hangout at his bosses place and there were also a lot of non-coworkers there. I think that’s a big part of the reason why I wasn’t thinking about what I was wearing.

Also I had my yoga bag in my car, so I did change the shirt before going in. I’m asking AITA because it was a weird situation for us, with me not understanding why he reacted so negatively when I know he’s an ally like i am, and him not understanding why I wasn’t being more considerate to his career

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah thats a pretty rear end in a top hat thing to do / say.

Good for her she's spending her money on animals but 23 seems like a lot I dunno.

don't worry, she insists she has a hard cap of 30!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Rats don't even live that long. Save some loving tortoises lady.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for wearing a “political” shirt to my SOs work event?

I was honestly expecting some "gently caress Trump" shirt or something but lol at the BF getting all butt hurt over that shirt.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Smirking_Serpent posted:

nta. next

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

MarcusSA posted:

I was honestly expecting some "gently caress Trump" shirt or something but lol at the BF getting all butt hurt over that shirt.

https://imgur.com/a/eOpsJCB

Something like this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah pretty much. I mean at least something with a little more oomph or something lol

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I would find living with her intolerable, but it's her house and this seems important to her, so she should dump him.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

I would find living with her intolerable, but it's her house and this seems important to her, so she should dump him.

Discussing things doesn't seem important to her so she shouldn't be in any relationship unless its with a doormat she can do whatever she wants with.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA if I went to a wedding I’m technically not invited too?

So I have a close family friend that is getting married soon and my stepdad is the best man. Me, my mom and my stepdad we’re all very excited to go to this wedding since we’ve known this guy for almost over ten years and he’s like a brother to me and a child to my mother. A few months after the initial invite we get a message from this friend’s fiancé saying that only two people per invite are allowed, effectively uninviting suddenly. I was very hurt by this because I’ve know him so long, so I went and asked him directly and apparently the reason I can’t go is because they’re paying per person. This also offended my mother. So she is trying to get me to go with her on a plan to go eat before the reception and crash the wedding. WIBTA if I did this? I’m very hesitant to do this but my mom insists that it would be ok.

TL;DR My mom wants me to eat before a wedding I wasn’t invited too so they wouldn’t have to pay for me, basically crashing the wedding. Should I do it?

Edit: Thanks for your replies everyone. You are right, it is a terrible idea and I won’t be going through with it. Thanks for the insight!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for buying myself a speed pass at amusement park and not one for my GF?

So yesterday me and my gf went to a well know amusement park in the Midwest. I really really like roller coasters so I’ve been looking forward to this for some time. I bought a speed pass for myself with the plan of going on an hour or so binge of rides while my gf ran around making boomerangs for her instagram.

Apparently shes upset that I didn’t get her a speed pass. These things are very expensive so I wasn’t going to buy her one and she can’t afford it since she doesn’t work or anything.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Patrick Spens posted:

Regardless of who owns the house, it's usually a good idea to communicate with your SO that you plan to adopt a new violinist for your all-animal orchestra. Then if he gets all mad about it just be like "well it's happening, you know how important this project is to me, you can deal with it or leave"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for buying myself a speed pass at amusement park and not one for my GF?

So yesterday me and my gf went to a well know amusement park in the Midwest. I really really like roller coasters so I’ve been looking forward to this for some time. I bought a speed pass for myself with the plan of going on an hour or so binge of rides while my gf ran around making boomerangs for her instagram.

Apparently shes upset that I didn’t get her a speed pass. These things are very expensive so I wasn’t going to buy her one and she can’t afford it since she doesn’t work or anything.

Think, Mcfly, think.

Did you ask her if she wants to ride rollercosters with you or did you just assume that she didn't?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Think, Mcfly, think.

Did you ask her if she wants to ride rollercosters with you or did you just assume that she didn't?

20 year old brains aren’t fully developed.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I told him it's none of his business what I do in my house. I told him to get the gently caress out of my house until he learned some drat respect.

If you've been living with someone for two years and they say poo poo like this, you're not in a relationship; you're loving your landlord.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Clitch posted:

If you've been living with someone for two years and they say poo poo like this, you're not in a relationship; you're loving your landlord.
he's living rent-free in a house that she legally owns and she has a right to dictate what she does within the walls of that house. it's her space. he can find another one, and if that means the relationship is over then it wasn't going to last anyway and ending it now is better for both of them

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
wealthy and compassionate women who can afford a literal weekly maid to clean up after their animals should be allowed to take in as many animals as they can reasonably take care of, and for some of them that's thousands. all that animal life and wellbeing outweighs the histrionic needs of some hand-wringing softboy who's scared of rats and also thinks that because he's loving the homeowner the house belongs to him

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Those are some spicy hot relationship takes.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

MarcusSA posted:

Those are some spicy hot relationship takes.
my takes are like the nuclear heart of a star and you know it's because i truly believe in what i say

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
before every single post i make, i go to a mirror and gaze into the eyes of my reflection and whisper "this is who you are"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

nankeen posted:

he's living rent-free in a house that she legally owns and she has a right to dictate what she does within the walls of that house. it's her space. he can find another one, and if that means the relationship is over then it wasn't going to last anyway and ending it now is better for both of them

Doing what you want with your stuff is all well and good but talking to your partner about things you're doing that will have an effect on them is also a good thing to do.

Saving an underweight rat is not worth tanking your relationship on imo but maybe it's not a great one to start with.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Inceltown posted:

Saving an underweight rat is not worth tanking your relationship on imo
you are un correct

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not wanting my sister to appear in adult content?

English is not my first language, please bare with me.

My sister (F25) and me (F25) are identical twins. We've been always really close and we love and support each other. Last year she finished her arts degree, while I started my residency as a surgeon.

Yesterday she told me she's having a hard time finding a job and do not want to keep living with our parents, she feels as a financial burden to them, yet our parents are well-off and love to have us with them. I've just rented a house with my boyfriend and I guess she feels the need to leave home too.

I asked her if she's planning to ask parents to help her financially if she's really going to rent, which they'll do with a smile, but then is when she told me: she wants to do porn. She's told me nothing have happened yet, but just the thought of it terrifies me and said so.

She thinks I'm being an hypocrite, how can I define myself as a libertarian while being against her freedom to do whatever she pleases with her body. I support that claim, but she's not considering she'll be harming me; as we are identical twins, she being nude and doing porn is just as me doing so.

I do not know if she's doing it to harm me, I tried to help her with money if that's really the problem and she gets really upset and mad with me for that. She says she doesn't want my money, she wants to try it and would love me to support her as she has always done with me.

AITA for now wanting my identical sister to do porn? WAITA if I shared it with my parents for support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not wanting my sister to appear in adult content?

My sister (F25) and me (F25) are identical twins.

OK yeah that sucks.

What a dummy getting an arts degree though lol.