Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Tony Phillips posted:

The Astros are/were up four runs and 6 outs away from winning their game against the Royals and advancing in the playoffs.

Whoops. Let the collapse commence. Here's a chart of their expected win %. Maxing out at 98.4% prior to the cliff.

Now 1 out in the bottom of the 9th, down 9-6 they're looking at a 4.1% chance of pulling it out.

Edit - Oh, and the Rangers are currently getting curb stomped 7-0 in the 3rd inning.

From a couple days ago. Today the Jays beat the Rangers 6-3 eliminating them. The Royals beat the Astros 7-2, also eliminating them.

Eat poo poo Abbott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Eponine posted:

The issue, if I remember what I read correctly, was that people complained that the coffee they got at the drive thru wasn't hot enough by the time they drove to work, so the managers/owners started to heat the coffee beyond guidelines to make the people who complained happy.

Another reason is that poo poo/cheap coffee only tastes okay when you burn it (and then put a ton of sugar and milk/whatever). It's similar to big beer and ice cold drinks. Coffee is best brewed at around 200F.(Note brewing/steeping temps are not the same as drinking temps. )

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 07:12 on Oct 15, 2015

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

If you take your coffee black, just get the barista to put a few ice cubes in it for you. Probably wouldn't happen at McDonalds but Starbucks etc will happily do it.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Did I just watch somebody fry?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Ok, wanting some 'cool' meaningless word or phrase tattooed is one thing, but what the hell is the thought process behind having your initials in chinese characters? Or spelling out a name like Jeff, wtf, that's not how this language works. Oh, your name is Angel? Ok, I guess there's a character for that, lemme see. Wait, you want the syllables spelt out? How does it make any sense, you goddamn morons?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ozz81 posted:

That she didn't say anything about it and waited until after the kid's mom died makes her an even bigger piece of poo poo, she easily could have said something sooner.

You've got the timeline wrong. She filed the lawsuit two years ago, and it took that long for it to actually reach a courtroom.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

grate deceiver posted:

Ok, wanting some 'cool' meaningless word or phrase tattooed is one thing, but what the hell is the thought process behind having your initials in chinese characters? Or spelling out a name like Jeff, wtf, that's not how this language works. Oh, your name is Angel? Ok, I guess there's a character for that, lemme see. Wait, you want the syllables spelt out? How does it make any sense, you goddamn morons?

Haha, "thought process" :v:

In my years living in Japan, I've seen the English language tortured in ways that would give Donald Rumsfeld a big chubby one, but I've never seen anyone dumb enough to get an Engrish word tattooed on themselves. Seen plenty of morons with what they thought was a deep and meaningful GLORIOUS NIPPONESE expression pooed onto their skin though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just lol if you live in a place or area where you have to drive an hour + EVERY DAY to the point where you actually pressure a restaurant to do this. I don't know how people survive and not go completely insane with hour long commutes at 25 mph and gridlock traffic.

Constant schadenfreude for me on those poor suckers.

Also re: wrist thing, working for insurance companies, I can tell you that yeah that is the way it had to go down. A lot of times suing your relative is the best and only way to get the insurance to pay for poo poo that they otherwise would have.Ex: Grandson rents a house from Grandma and accidentally torches the place. Grandma has to sue grandson to get the landlord policy to pay out. It looks bad, but its genuinely what the insurance is FOR.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Jastiger posted:

Just lol if you live in a place or area where you have to drive an hour + EVERY DAY to the point where you actually pressure a restaurant to do this. I don't know how people survive and not go completely insane with hour long commutes at 25 mph and gridlock traffic.

Not disagreeing, but for another example of crazy commutes my supervisor drives about two hours to poorly oversee a government call center. She's not shy about complaining about the job or wishing that she worked somewhere else, and she has a degree in computer science (although she doesn't seem very adept with a computer imho). I don't know why she keeps putting herself through hell every morning to come to a job she doesn't like, and since I was just offered a promotion up the ladder (to a rung with the same pay as her, apparently) I felt weird advising her on how to advance her career or find a different profession. I guess there's schadenfreude in people who get stuck in a job and give up, but like watching someone fall down on their wedding day, it's a little less funny if you know or like the person it's happening to.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Jastiger posted:

I've done an hour plus commute, it sucks, especially when it's a job relocation you had to take or get fired :( I have a little travel mug thingy (like a grown up sippy cup I guess) and I'll make coffee at home and drink it from that in the car if I ABSOLUTELY have to. Thankfully I have a different job now where I have to get up so early there is not much traffic around anyway :smith:

In other news, I had a go on one of those hoverboard thingies yesterday. Amazingly I didn't fall off but MAN I can see how easy it would be to wipe out on one of those suckers. I have to admit it was quite fun whizzing round Maplins (probably one of the only places in the UK it's legal to go on one) like some sort of techno ghost. I also had to sign a disclaimer form before they'd let me touch it.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Jastiger posted:

Also re: wrist thing, working for insurance companies, I can tell you that yeah that is the way it had to go down. A lot of times suing your relative is the best and only way to get the insurance to pay for poo poo that they otherwise would have.Ex: Grandson rents a house from Grandma and accidentally torches the place. Grandma has to sue grandson to get the landlord policy to pay out. It looks bad, but its genuinely what the insurance is FOR.

Excuse my ignorance of US healthcare systems, but I was under the impression that your health insurance was for covering your medical bills, not exclusively those caused by somebody else and even then you have to sue your family in order to make a claim.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Insurance companies are in the exclusive business of loving you over as hard as they can.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nexus6 posted:

Excuse my ignorance of US healthcare systems, but I was under the impression that your health insurance was for covering your medical bills, not exclusively those caused by somebody else and even then you have to sue your family in order to make a claim.

This woman undoubtedly had private health insurance, and I imagine it had an out of pocket cap in the low thousands. She didn't have to sue anyone. She could have realized "poo poo happens" and dealt with it, not looked for someone else to pay her because she has to hold her hors d'oeuvre plates differently now.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Rondette posted:

In other news, I had a go on one of those hoverboard thingies yesterday. Amazingly I didn't fall off but MAN I can see how easy it would be to wipe out on one of those suckers. I have to admit it was quite fun whizzing round Maplins (probably one of the only places in the UK it's legal to go on one) like some sort of techno ghost. I also had to sign a disclaimer form before they'd let me touch it.

We had ours while we were interviewing interns a couple weeks ago. Two of them wanted to try, I was like "uh well, are you SURE? Because its really likely that you will fall." Then I told them what to expect and how to start: grab the wall, hold the wall. When you get of, step one foot backwards then the other. Don't jump off, just step off. Backwards.

They both fell, lol. In front of like 5 of us.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

she has to hold her hors d'oeuvre plates differently now.

Hey, plating is important! What are we, animals?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Isn't it usually the insurance company that litigates to recoup costs incurred from claims? I'm not familiar with any claims situations where the insurance company requires you to litigate on their behalf before they'll honor a claim.

Granted, I'm sure the laws vary from state to state, but this seems like some CYA bullshit to keep the negative press at bay.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

This woman undoubtedly had private health insurance, and I imagine it had an out of pocket cap in the low thousands. She didn't have to sue anyone. She could have realized "poo poo happens" and dealt with it, not looked for someone else to pay her because she has to hold her hors d'oeuvre plates differently now.

Oh wait, I think I have been misunderstanding this. I thought her own insurance was refusing to pay for her treatment. Was she trying to get her nephew's insurance to pay for it? Isn't that still a dick move?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nexus6 posted:

Oh wait, I think I have been misunderstanding this. I thought her own insurance was refusing to pay for her treatment. Was she trying to get her nephew's insurance to pay for it? Isn't that still a dick move?

I didn't see anything that said her health insurance was refusing to pay. And I don't see why they would, an injury is an injury. And she was seeking compensation from the kid's parents' homeowner's insurance. The articles don't make it clear exactly why she wanted $127,000, aside from the fact that she has to walk up 3 flights of stairs and hold heavy plates.

edit: I got the impression she was suing for pain and suffering and maybe loss of use of her wrist (?). And it's all predicated on the fact that he nephew hugged her so vigorously that he was negligent, and as an 8 year old he knew or should have known that hugging her as he did was likely to cause injury. Which is some bullshit.

Flash Gordon Ramsay has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Oct 15, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grey Fox posted:

Isn't it usually the insurance company that litigates to recoup costs incurred from claims? I'm not familiar with any claims situations where the insurance company requires you to litigate on their behalf before they'll honor a claim.

Granted, I'm sure the laws vary from state to state, but this seems like some CYA bullshit to keep the negative press at bay.

I'm not sure that health insurance companies subrogate for injury claims. I've only dealt with wrt property insurance and car insurance.

But yes, if she wanted money from the homeowner's policy, she would have to sue the person responsible for the injury, not the insurance company. She doesn't have a contract or any relationship with the insurance company, that much is true. What is not true is that she had to sue anyone at all, or seek compensation just because she injured her wrist.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jastiger posted:

some people can't afford to live near their jobs, hth

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I dunno, I'd probably be happier with lukewarm coffee at work than something that would cause burns severe enough to require hospitalization if it splashes or tips.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I didn't see anything that said her health insurance was refusing to pay. And I don't see why they would, an injury is an injury.

See I thought the way it worked was
  • I get injured
  • I go to hospital
  • Hospital treatment costs money
  • My health insurance pays the bill

rather than
  • I get injured
  • I go to hospital
  • Hospital treatment costs money
  • I sue the ground for being too hard/child for being too strong/sun for being too hot and get their insurance to pay?
  • I continue to pay premiums for my health insurance in case someone sues me for sneezing?

I know 'lol US healthcare' isn't new but I'm getting confused here.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Jastiger posted:

FCKGW posted:

Others were lucky to find a job at all.

Also in some US cities (Los Angeles) a 10 mile drive can take an hour easily.

In other cities, people commute long distances because they have kids and the public schools in the white flight suburbs are far, far better than the ones in the inner city.

In fact, I would go so far as to suspect that if you don't have a long commute, you either have an extremely well paying job, or there's no traffic/the price of housing is low where you live because it's a shithole place that no one wants to live.

It's almost like life is complicated and people generally have rational reasons for the tradeoffs they make decisions about!

Imagined has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Oct 15, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Have there been any new sovereign citizen videos? I think they might be the best source of schadenfreude possible because they're just so drat sure they've got the secret cheat codes to get out of a ticket and they're so smug about it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FCKGW posted:

I'm less making a dig at people stuck with long commutes, and more making a dig at people with distance wise short commutes, but live in such rat nests that it takes two hours to go 5 miles.

nexus6 posted:

It was likely a homeowners insurance claim since that is what the liability portion is for. If someone is injured in your home and they wish to press suit against you the homeowners liability insurance is designed to provide liability coverage since you may very well be liable.

Your kid tackling someone and breaking their wrist would absolutely fall under that liability portion. Imagine if it was the Best Buy TV delivery guy and I think everyone would approach this story differently.

But its his aunt, someone invited into the home and that obviously loves the family. So she is either stuck with "I pay all of my own health insurance bills and deductibles" which sucks, but is probably reasonable. OR "I sue them and get the homeowners to help cover the unexpected cost of fixing my wrist" which really isn't that unreasonable either. I mean if its the difference between paying a few hundred grand out of pocket and not, I doubt a lot of people here would balk at suing to recover medical costs.

My guess is the pain and suffering part was designed for a jury rather than the actual things needed, but I don't know the case.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

chitoryu12 posted:

I dunno, I'd probably be happier with lukewarm coffee at work than something that would cause burns severe enough to require hospitalization if it splashes or tips.

Not to mention the fact that every job I've had from factory work to a bank had a break room with a microwave in it. If the coffee's too cold when you get there, nuke it, it's not like the delicate flavor of fast food coffee is going to suffer too greatly.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

nexus6 posted:

I know 'lol US healthcare' isn't new but I'm getting confused here.

With most insurance plans, they either have a deductible of some sort, or only pay part of the treatment until you hit your out of pocket maximum for the year. Like right now, every time my wife goes to see her rheumatologist, we pay $50 up front and get a bill later for another $130 or so that the insurance didn't cover. If we were to hit our maximum of $15,000 for the year, the insurance would have covered everything except the $50 co-pay.

So it can still be expensive.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Adult gamers being bad at Lego: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmKN_v-ALsw

From the Lego thread, the awful at lego starts at roughly 8 minutes, and continues through out. Don't watch past the Batmobile.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The aunt and nephew went on TV together today. I don't think they actually hate each other.

http://gawker.com/aunt-from-hell-an...dium=socialflow

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
oh cool, a healthcare derail

On topic:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/homeland-graffiti-artists-racist-1.3272124 posted:

Graffiti artists hired to work on the set of Showtime's Homeland have duped the popular series, painting Arabic slogans criticizing the show on walls seen in the background.

In the episode aired in the U.S. Sunday — set in a Hezbollah-run refugee camp in Lebanon but filmed in Berlin — star Claire Danes can be seen walking by slogans including "Homeland is racist" and "Homeland is a joke and it didn't make us laugh."

Berlin graffiti artist Stone told The Associated Press on Thursday that he and two friends initially weren't going to take the job when approached by the producers, but then decided instead to use it to express their opinions of Homeland.

"It was our moment to make our point by subverting the message using the show itself," Heba Amin, an Egyptian visual artist who also took part, wrote on her personal website.

Amin claims the producers were 'too frantic to pay attention" to the artwork.

"In their eyes, Arabic script is merely a supplementary visual that completes the horror-fantasy of the Middle East, a poster image dehumanizing an entire region to human-less figures in black burkas and moreover this season to refugees."

Showtime, the US network behind Homeland, has not commented.

https://twitter.com/EgyptianStreets/status/654537870380695552

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Found some good freude in a local news article today.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article39003903.html

quote:

A Clay County sheriff’s deputy retreated to a safe distance from a van burning in a field Tuesday afternoon after he heard the sound of live ammunition going off inside it.
The deputy learned that the owner had been burning garbage in the field and accidentally let the fire get out of control. In an attempt to put the fire out, he drove his van back and forth over the flames.
This made matters worse, as the tires of the van caught fire. Realizing that the van was loaded with firearms ammunition and a full tank of gas, the driver evacuated the area for safety.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I saw a video of this with sound. The music starts real quiet and slow then it starts blasting fast techno. He waited like half a minute for the music to play and then just eats it.
loving nerd, just play the game. If your trying to do something cool in Hotline your gonna die.

Hihohe has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Oct 15, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Cool! The first season was pretty good. But I don't really think it's a racist show, they had a lot of nuance to the characters. There were good guys and bad guys and girls across all races and locations.

Or maybe just season 1 did a good job at that, I didn't pay attention to season 3 really.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Shalkore posted:

Yeah! What this guy said! Waiting 60 seconds for my beverage to cool down is unacceptable!

What do we want? Cooler hot beverages now!

When do we want it? 60 seconds ago!

loving this

I don't want bath tub water warm coffee because you old ginger fingered fucks don't know how to hold coffee

I need that poo poo to still be hot when I get to work

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
You could make coffee at home and also save a lot of money?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

zakharov posted:

Definitely save some, but if we're talking mcdonalds coffee it's probably not "a lot".

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

zakharov posted:

Also live in a reasonable location with reasonable commutes?

Somewhere in central Iowa maybe?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Or convince your office to set up a coffee pot in the break room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
You guys could also all find a girlfriend, but I don't bring that up when you complain about your waifu pillows :colbert:

• Locked thread