Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

teen witch posted:

AITA for ruining jeans for women?

Jeans are gross anyway, khakis are more comfortable unless you just love having a sweaty butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

AITA for snapping at my boyfriend’s daughter?
u/thwychbfsd0284
My boyfriend and I have been dating for a year and a half. He let me know early on that he has a daughter from a previous relationship that he has full custody of (his daughter’s mother is nowhere in the picture and never has been).

We’re both guys (not relevant), and his daughter is 14.

I was introduced to his daughter 6 months into our relationship. She’s never really liked me.

I’d try to be nice to her and talk to her but she never really responded to me.

My boyfriend said that she’s a little shy, and he asked me to be patient with her.

She ignored me for a while and then she started to be very rude. She would make offhanded comments about me, insult me, and told me that I was “using” her dad (?). She made a lot of baseless assumptions that weren’t true.

My boyfriend never took any disciplinary steps. He only ever explained why what she said was inappropriate / mean and that she shouldn’t say things like that, but he’s never asked her to apologize to me and he’s never grounded her.

When I approached my boyfriend about the issue, he said that his daughter was having issues coping with another person (me) being in the equation, as its only really been him and her for a majority of her life. (She sees a therapist for her issues).

I’ve had to put up with the constant insults and accusations for a year. I don’t care that she doesn’t like me, but it was getting tiring.

It happened again last night. I was having dinner with them at my boyfriend’s place and she made another offhanded comment.

I snapped and told her that her dad was likely to abandon her or something if she kept trying to push everyone else away from him and keep him to herself, that he won’t be able to put up with her forever and that she should just get over herself.

She started crying and then she went up to her room. I hadn’t intended to make her cry or anything (and I kinda feel bad for that), but I didn’t know how else to get my point across in a way that she would understand.

I’ve never seen my boyfriend get upset before that moment. He asked what was wrong with me, and told me what I said was uncalled for. I told him that it wasn’t because she had been provoking me for a year now. It was bound to happen.

This was probably unnecessary, but it was a heat of the moment, and I told him that her awful behavior was his fault because he does nothing to fix it, and that he should stop sheltering her so much because she really needs to grow up.

He told me that I was being childish and he went upstairs to comfort his daughter. I ended up just going home after that, and he hasn’t responded to any of my texts yet. It’s almost been 24 hours.

Maybe I didn’t have to be so harsh, but I really didn’t want to be disrespected anymore. I’ve considered sending an apology to my boyfriend, but I feel like an apology isn’t necessary if I was right. AITA?

And the comments...

quote:

The thing is, my boyfriend doesn’t really “let her”. He does talk to her about it and why it isn’t okay, but I feel like he should be giving her a harsher punishment for it.

quote:

Somewhat. I just asked him why he doesn’t give her harsher punishments, and he told me that he doesn’t really believe in taking her things away as punishment, and that her therapist said that talking to her and verbally telling her what she did wrong would be more effective in her case.

(This sounds strange but) I personally dont really care what her therapist says? I think there are more effective ways of disciplining her

quote:

I’ve tried talking to her about her interests and hobbies. She said that she doesn’t have any.

I’ve tried offering to buy her stuff but she always declines. I never could really get anywhere with her so at one point I just gave up.

quote:

I don’t know. She doesn’t value materialistic things (she wouldn’t care if you took her phone / didn’t let her watch TV - she doesn’t use either of those much). She values things like spending time with her dad and going to the park and stuff. I suggested that he take away their “father-daughter” outings (they normally go on nature walks on the weekends) to make a point, but he said that he wouldn’t do that. He’s at work most of the time and he said that it would be unfair to stop spending time with his daughter.

Which, I get that, but she has to understand that her actions have consequences. If her actions lead up to her not being able to spend time with her dad, then so be it.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for cancelling my leaving meal due to low attendance, only to find it was a ruse to surprise me with high attendance, cancelled anyway
Ha ha, I love this. The co-workers can get hosed.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

teen witch posted:

And the comments...

haha wow this lady, jeez

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

haha wow this lady, jeez

That ain't no woman. It's a man, man.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

haha wow this lady, jeez

it’s a guy

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

teen witch posted:

And the comments...

OP's partner deserves better than him. This is peak "I literally can't comprehend anyone valuing different things than I do" Reddit.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

dudeness posted:

Jeans are gross anyway, khakis are more comfortable unless you just love having a sweaty butt.

...what? Pretty sure you're doing something wrong here.

teen witch posted:

And the comments...

This guy seems to be a douche and punishment isn't the answer, but the girl's dad should be doing more. If he's serious about a future with the boyfriend, his daughter is going to have to get along with the boyfriend.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 24, 2019

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

teen witch posted:

She values things like spending time with her dad and going to the park and stuff. I suggested that he take away their “father-daughter” outings (they normally go on nature walks on the weekends) to make a point, but he said that he wouldn’t do that. He’s at work most of the time and he said that it would be unfair to stop spending time with his daughter.

Which, I get that, but she has to understand that her actions have consequences. If her actions lead up to her not being able to spend time with her dad, then so be it.

Really hope this person's boyfriend leaves them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

...what? Pretty sure you're doing something wrong here.

Goon prefers khaki cargo shorts, claims the nation's most common style of pants automatically gives him swamp rear end, news at 6

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

dudeness posted:

Ok you’re going to have to explain yourself, I can’t stop laughing at this for some reason. It’s just so out of left field.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for getting my brother a mop for his bday?

quote:

I (18F) was home from uni, and my mum had told me clean the house. I did, and was just going to get some water from the kitchen. My brother(23M) was there refilling his water bottle from the fridge water dispenser. His attention was completely on his phone not the bottle, so it spilled onto the floor and down the sides of the fridge. This is not the first time it happened.

I told him to clean it up, because i just swept and mopped the house (which he did not help once btw). He said no, its just water. I pressed again because i will not do it. He said no and told me to gently caress myself. Ok i told him he’s a POS and went and poured water in front of his bedroom, which he a few hours later did the same back to me. His birthday was in a few days and I was originally thinking of giving him a gift card cos idk what he likes, but i decided to buy a mop because I still wasn’t over his immaturity (still am not).

The day comes around, its just me and my parents and one family friend at our house. We cut the cake blah blah, time comes around for the presents to be given. I go after the family friend, and its pretty obvious my gift is not the conventional gift bc i wrapped the cloth part(?? The wiping part, not the pole lol) and i just left the pole on its side.

He opens it, and just stares at it and looks back up at me and asks why i gave him that. I tell him so he can use it to mop the floor next time he spills something because I’m not going to do it. He looks pissed but couldn’t say anything because of the family friend. Parents look confused/angry and family friend looks like she just wants to get out of there.

After she leaves my parents blow up at me for embarrassing him and them in front of family friend. I tell them about the incident, and they tell me that i should just take care of it since he’s my brother, and that I’m his younger sister so i should obey him??? I tell them that i cleaned the entire house by myself but he cant do one simple thing, and my mum just told me to leave it because my brother is like that and i should just put up with it.

My brother went and poured more water in front of my bedroom and on my room’s carpet, great!!!. I tell my friend who said that what i did was funny, but my dad and my brother have not spoken to me for a few days and my mum says this is what i get for behaving like that. AITA??

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Sagebrush posted:

Goon prefers khaki cargo shorts, claims the nation's most common style of pants automatically gives him swamp rear end, news at 6

Living and working in Texas in the summer, I can confirm that kakhis are infinitely more breathable and comfortable in heat than denim. I get the aesthetic preference for jeans, especially when you're younger, but they make non-grandpa kakhis now and you really do feel the difference when it's hot.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

teen witch posted:

And the comments...

quote:

She ignored me for a while and then she started to be very rude. She would make offhanded comments about me, insult me, and told me that I was “using” her dad (?). She made a lot of baseless assumptions that weren’t true.
They may or may not be baseless and untrue, but maybe she has a reason for thinking that?
The whole thing gives off some of those estranged parent vibes of using vague words that gloss over anything the other person says or does and denies that they have motivations beyond undeserved hatred for the OP.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Living and working in Texas in the summer, I can confirm that kakhis are infinitely more breathable and comfortable in heat than denim. I get the aesthetic preference for jeans, especially when you're younger, but they make non-grandpa kakhis now and you really do feel the difference when it's hot.

Unless you're working outside, it's a non-issue. But if you are outside all day in 100+ degree heat, definitely wear whatever's functional.

Pinecone Sample posted:

You're 18, time to get the hell out of there.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 24, 2019

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Cacator posted:

That ain't no woman. It's a man, man.

poo poo :( I did the assumed straight thing, sorry

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

teen witch posted:

The comments are a lot of “maybe you should have shut up so you could get away with it as well” and :qq: “EQUALITY”

Manager trying her hardest to ignore a dumb rule she has to enforce and this boner wont shut up about it.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Pinecone Sample posted:

:murder: parents and their lovely golden child

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Taima posted:

Ok you’re going to have to explain yourself, I can’t stop laughing at this for some reason. It’s just so out of left field.

Not much to explain, khaki pants are just more comfortable and lighter and if it's hot out they keep less air and moisture trapped in, which tends to center around the crotch/butt. I used to be only jeans until I had to start wearing nice clothes for work and I'm pretty convinced Big Denim has pulled the wool over peoples eyes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dudeness posted:

wash your loving jeans once in a while so they don't turn into oilcloth from your rear end grease

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Pinecone Sample posted:

get your parents an estrangement for christmas.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Like sure if you don't sweat a bunch into your jeans you can wear em a couple times between washes but I've heard people being like "YEAH I NEVER WASH THESE" and it's like buddy, that's not bragging material

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

FAUXTON posted:

Like sure if you don't sweat a bunch into your jeans you can wear em a couple times between washes but I've heard people being like "YEAH I NEVER WASH THESE" and it's like buddy, that's not bragging material
I have heard of people putting denim in the freezer instead of washing it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Power Khan posted:

My chemistry teacher distilled red wine in class and drank it right there. It wasn't just a shot. He also ate a candle.

Mine showed us a delayed-reaction firestarter and talked about how a HS classmate of his used it to burn down churches (also how she was caught, the firefighters noticed the water turning an odd color when putting it out and fire inspectors know chemistry as well), dreamed of having classroom vent fans so strong the chairs would need seatbelts, and accidentally dropped the sodium into the chlorine when making salt, spilling it and gassing the whole class (no serious damage, otherwise I'd tell that story in a very different tone). He would moan about schools so scared of what their students could do that they'd only have zucchini chemicals ("they sit there and look at you") and how, when visiting a friend who taught chemistry at one of those schools, they took a simple trip to the supermarket to get stuff to put on a real show. We got to play with silver nitrate (turns skin dark when exposed to sunlight) but he didn't tell us what it would do until a classmate said "huh nothing's happening" and slathered it over a lot more than a small patch of skin. According to that guy too much of it tingles like a bad sunburn, not in a fun way.

He also wore a leather jacket and rode a motorcycle to school. And he worked hard with me and my brother when we clearly knew the information but were absolutely rubbish at writing any of it down. Godspeed Mr Powell, wherever you are. You were awesome.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

FAUXTON posted:

There was definitely a gbs thread about this years ago. Bunch of goons saying denim had special anti bacterial properties and never needed to be washed
I always remember it along with that thread where goons decided they didn't need to wash their hair anymore

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

teen witch posted:

And the comments...

"(This sounds strange but) I personally dont really care what her therapist says?"

:murder:

CountryMatters posted:

There was definitely a gbs thread about this years ago. Bunch of goons saying denim had special anti bacterial properties and never needed to be washed
I always remember it along with that thread where goons decided they didn't need to wash their hair anymore

I remember both of those!

For the jeans it was actually about expensive denim - apparently the more you wash super fancy denim, the more you basically 'ruin' it, so they were saying its proper care to wash luxury jeans as little as possible and...put jeans in the freezer between wears bc it apparently kills all the smells. I have never known if that was true, I just know that was the thread consensus.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 24, 2019

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

For the jeans it was actually about expensive denim - apparently the more you wash super fancy denim, the more you basically 'ruin' it, so they were saying its proper care to wash luxury jeans as little as possible and...put jeans in the freezer between wears bc it apparently kills all the smells. I have never known if that was true, I just know that was the thread consensus.
It's what some Levi's exec said at a press conference once: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYoyojCcgsc

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

dudeness posted:

Not much to explain, khaki pants are just more comfortable and lighter and if it's hot out they keep less air and moisture trapped in, which tends to center around the crotch/butt. I used to be only jeans until I had to start wearing nice clothes for work and I'm pretty convinced Big Denim has pulled the wool over peoples eyes.

Ok I guess that's fair. We have a really lax white collar work uniform culture in this part of the US, I don't see people wearing khakis too often so I guess my brain kinda short circuited.

Could you wear linen pants? Those would be the ultimate in crotch breathability.

This dude hasn't had sweaty balls since 1986.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 24, 2019

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Bruceski posted:

Mine showed us a delayed-reaction firestarter and talked about how a HS classmate of his used it to burn down churches (also how she was caught, the firefighters noticed the water turning an odd color when putting it out and fire inspectors know chemistry as well), dreamed of having classroom vent fans so strong the chairs would need seatbelts, and accidentally dropped the sodium into the chlorine when making salt, spilling it and gassing the whole class (no serious damage, otherwise I'd tell that story in a very different tone). He would moan about schools so scared of what their students could do that they'd only have zucchini chemicals ("they sit there and look at you") and how, when visiting a friend who taught chemistry at one of those schools, they took a simple trip to the supermarket to get stuff to put on a real show. We got to play with silver nitrate (turns skin dark when exposed to sunlight) but he didn't tell us what it would do until a classmate said "huh nothing's happening" and slathered it over a lot more than a small patch of skin. According to that guy too much of it tingles like a bad sunburn, not in a fun way.

He also wore a leather jacket and rode a motorcycle to school. And he worked hard with me and my brother when we clearly knew the information but were absolutely rubbish at writing any of it down. Godspeed Mr Powell, wherever you are. You were awesome.

Our guy was seriously into spirits. He'd praise our coach, who he told us, had a distillery in the basement, and judging from his red nose and smell, took to the spirits more than he should have.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
haha it became Such a Thing they now have a portion of their website addressing it now:

https://www.levistrauss.com/2018/01/25/no-dont-wash-jeans-really/

quote:

Our own CEO, Chip Bergh, received global attention for his now-famous proclamation that he does not wash his jeans unless absolutely necessary. Spot clean? Yes. Tossing them into a washing machine? Never. “And, when my jeans really need a wash, I do it the old fashioned way: I hand-wash them and hang-dry them,” Chip once wrote. “Ask my wife – I really do!”

'we just meant hand-wash, guys!'

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

teen witch posted:

I went to a HS like that. My principal was caught cheating on his wife with not ONLY the head of the English department, but also a parent of a student. The principal came to my district after something similar happened in his previous one, apparently.

This was all found out when the husband of the cheating wife hired a PI and it was quite messy.

What sucks is that he was actually a decent principal and the poor student who had to contend with the principal loving his mom was insanely nice.

Did we go to the same high school? Or is principals cheating with their teachers just a common enough occurrence that the details will eventually just line up perfectly for two completely different high schools?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I remember when I was in 1st grade I had suspicions that my married teacher was "with" the gym teacher. She was, and they ended up getting married. If a 5 year old can pick up on it, then I'm certain everyone can.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

The Clowner posted:

Did we go to the same high school? Or is principals cheating with their teachers just a common enough occurrence that the details will eventually just line up perfectly for two completely different high schools?

Everywhere the same stories. You could just switch names.

It's just like the best friend that's like a little sister.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

(15m) My brother’s (25m) fiancée (25f) did something inappropriate. The wedding is in 3 weeks...what should i do

“u/ThrowRA-kinl” posted:

My brother and his fiancée are staying at our house at the moment. Last night she came into my room and we played video games for a bit. Afterwards she started asking me personal questions like who my crush is, if I’m a virgin and how many times I masturbate. Amongst other things

She usually does not behave like this. i left the room and she followed me (she grabbed my arm) and said that I shouldn’t be ashamed of being a virgin because it’s “cute” (?) and that it’s ok. Afterwards she laughed and said “if you tell anyone about this, I will kill you” and walked off.

I’m confused and don’t understand what happened. I’m not sure what to do because she sounded quite threatening and I don’t know what she’ll do if I tell anyone.

tl;dr brothers fiancée asked me inappropriate questions and got angry when I distanced myself from her. I don’t know if I should tell anyone.

This one was almost certainly written one-handed

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

I suggested that he take away their “father-daughter” outings to make a point

I nominate this for thread title

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Putting them in the freezer only makes the bacteria dormant, it doesn't kill them. It probably also introduces more moisture for them to live off of when they thaw out.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

Communist Walrus posted:

Putting them in the freezer only makes the bacteria dormant, it doesn't kill them. It probably also introduces more moisture for them to live off of when they thaw out.

Yeah that's why I always bake my jeans instead

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
raw denim is a masochistic semi-cult

you buy stiff hard jeans 2 sizes too small and wear them painfully for several months to stretch out the waistband enough to fit and to get sick fade patterns based on how the jeans crease on your body. then you take a bath in the jeans or go in the ocean and wear them wet until they dry so the waist doesn’t shrink on you, and that’s washing your jeans

I actually saved up and bought a pair a few years ago and did this. it was stupid and not worth it and I had bruises on my hip bones for a month and then the waist shrank back anyway and I gave up on that poo poo

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

boyfriend (25/m) wants me (24/f) to quit job because I broke up with him.

My ex boyfriend and I broke up due to personal reasons and I initiated the breakup. It wasn’t mutual but he respected it. Today I get a text with him asking me to quit our adult jobs that we both work at because I’m ruining work for him claiming that he needs this job more than I do since I have my parents I can move back home to. I told him he’s ridiculous and needs to grow up and he said that if he broke up with me he’d quit so it wouldn’t be awkward for me. Am I being irrational? I really think it’s ridiculous he can’t grow up.

TLDR: Ex bf wants me to quit job we both work at because we broke up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [31M] longterm girlfriend [31F] wants a break, but we're living together while she's hanging out with a guy from work.

4 weeks ago, my girlfriend of 8 years told me she didn't love me and that the spark is gone. Since then, we've been apart for 3 weeks traveling with minimal contact. I let her have her space since in the hopes that she'd reconsider things.

Now we're back living in the same apartment, sleeping in the same bed while we figure things out. In general we're acting friendly towards each other, but I'm an emotional wreck bouncing from anger, sadness, etc. Watching the love of my life slip through my fingers is painful, but I'm trying my hardest to focus on working out and staying positive.

We're in a 2 year lease at our dream apartment (first time living together) so although I don't want to leave, this isn't a sustainable arrangement. I still had hope and was ready to schedule couples counseling until I found out that she spent the evening with a guy from work. Do I wait it out and go to counseling? Confront her? Just leave all together?

tldr: Long term girlfriend wants a break, but we're living together and she's hanging out with a guy from work.