Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I wonder to what extent Trump might be cancelling because he's too shook to be confined to the prompter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh, you're right, I was thinking of FARK.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Devil's advocate, doesn't arbitration have a useful societal function to keep the court systems from being more clogged than they already are?

It does. You're more likely to get a prompt arbitration than a prompt court date and I think there are less legal maneuverings to continuously delay your day in court.

The way it's implemented however is not. An arbitrator shouldn't have to worry about getting blacklisted if they rule against a company. It'd be ironic if arbitration clauses get thrown out, because a completely fair system still benefits the corporation. It's less expensive and limits their damages. But that wasn't good enough and now they've gamed the system so much that they risk getting the whole thing scrapped. Wells Fargo trying to enforce it's arbitration clauses for criminal activity might be what finally breaks that system.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is old news, but the BBC in interviewing people who voted against the peace referendum in Columbia and their answer was literally:

"Peace will make life easier for people in FARC. If we stay at war, they will keep dying. Some of our people will keep dying too, but I'm not in an area likely to see any violence and I don't want anything that might make FARC happy."

The purest of spite.

Maybe governments should stop asking this kind of question in referendum. I've learned from having a toddler that if you give an option, you need to be prepared to do either choice. If you give a toddler a choice between putting on their socks and not going to Disneyland, quite a lot of the time they will choose the former out of bullheadedness. So if a government only wants one of the two possible answers, they should just not ask. Thinking of you, Brexit. A lot of voters just want to stick it to the man, so they will choose the option the government appears to not want, purely out of spite, or to "send a message."

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

As someone who has literally no knowledge of this, what is FARC and why do people hate it?

Oldest left-wing guerilla army in Latin America (specifically Colombia). Still carries out occasional raids on large farmers, but isn't the kind of significant threat to Colombia's stability it once was. People hate it for the reasons anyone would hate a guerilla rebel army: killings and kidnappings. Of course, keeping them in the jungle probably just means another decade of low-level insurrection and a decent chance that the right-wing paramilitaries will reorganize and be even more horrible shits.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I predict 3 things happening in the next presidential debate.

1. Second Verse, Same as the First. Trump flounders in the Town Hall format, Hillary proves again that she's in a totally different league from Trump.
2. Someone tries to sneak in an inflammatory question to try and get Hillary off her game (I know the questions are vetted, but is it really that far out of the realm of possibility for some alt-righter to lie about the question he's going to ask?).
3. Trump talks down to people repeatedly when asking about legitimate issues he's dismissed, such as the tax returns, nuclear comments, his 1995 losses, etc.

Bonus 4th prediction: Trump skips the third debate, citing bias in the questioner vetting or some nonsense.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So what is Tim Kaine's thing anyways? All I know about him is that he did a terrible impression of Trump, and he's supposed to fight off Mike Pence at tomorrow night's debate. Is he even close to presidential material if Hilary somehow got impeached (unlikely but still should cover bases)?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The third debate will be the most friendly to him, though, being moderated by Brit Hume.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Do we even know if this drone strike thing is "THE LEAK"

It seems tame even for wikileaks low standards

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

WampaLord posted:

As someone who has literally no knowledge of this, what is FARC and why do people hate it?

Guerilla group that has been around Colombia since La Violencia in the 50s and 60s. They started off as communists (or at least left-leaning) but I I've gotten the impression the politics have taken a backseat to fighting. The good ol' USA has given Colombia support in the fight against them, mainly because the FARC funds itself through the sell of cocaine.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

The third debate will be the most friendly to him, though, being moderated by Brit Hume.

I thought Fox didn't like Trump? I mean, they love Republicans, so they love Trump by proxy - but most the network personalities are cold to him.

I think NBC loves Trump the most of any of them.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

greatn posted:

Chris Wallace - but I guess it doesn't matter which Fox personality is moderating if its not Megyn Kelly.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Do we even know if this drone strike thing is "THE LEAK"

It seems tame even for wikileaks low standards

That's supposed to come out tomorrow.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BarbarianElephant posted:

Maybe governments should stop asking this kind of question in referendum. I've learned from having a toddler that if you give an option, you need to be prepared to do either choice. If you give a toddler a choice between putting on their socks and not going to Disneyland, quite a lot of the time they will choose the former out of bullheadedness. So if a government only wants one of the two possible answers, they should just not ask. Thinking of you, Brexit. A lot of voters just want to stick it to the man, so they will choose the option the government appears to not want, purely out of spite, or to "send a message."

There's a similar principle in D&D where you don't roll the dice unless you're prepared for either result. Agree absolutely, or decline absolutely, and only leave it up to chance if you're okay with either outcome.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

I have no idea why they ever thought it was a good idea to entrust something so important to people hopped up on right wing gibberish and racism who have no idea what it'd even entail.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Krispy Kareem posted:

I thought Fox didn't like Trump? I mean, they love Republicans, so they love Trump by proxy - but most the network personalities are cold to him.

That was true during the early primaries, but they flipped over to hardcore Trump support since then. Trump hasn't spoken to any non Fox News media since July.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Grouchio posted:

So what is Tim Kaine's thing anyways? All I know about him is that he did a terrible impression of Trump, and he's supposed to fight off Mike Pence at tomorrow night's debate. Is he even close to presidential material if Hilary somehow got impeached (unlikely but still should cover bases)?

Tim Kaine is as close as you can get to the generic Democrat from the poll question "In an election between Generic Democrat and Generic Republican which would you vote for?"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TyrantWD posted:

Chris Wallace - but I guess it doesn't matter which Fox personality is moderating if its not Megyn Kelly.

That's supposed to come out tomorrow.

Jesus in Reaganing, I don't think I've said a single correct thing today.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kaine's a good guy from what's come out about his history. Clean of scandal, well liked by colleagues. A buddy of mine who lived in Virginia while he was governor told me pretty much everyone in the state likes him.

He's what you'd usually choose as a VP: A decent surrogate who can help you a bit in a swing state since he was a popular politician there and has plenty of contacts and friends.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Tim Kaine would be a fine and good President if somehow Iron Abuela was removed from the office, which absolutely will not happen.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This guy would rather hang out in his penthouse. *sniff*

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Geostomp posted:

I have no idea why they ever thought it was a good idea to entrust something so important to people hopped up on right wing gibberish and racism who have no idea what it'd even entail.

Governments are totally out of touch with how their populaces are feeling. Brexit is example A of idiotic right wing politicians (including both the "moderates" and the far right dumbasses that were pushing it) having no clue what the average person is going to do when given a choice, especially one mired in lots of toxic right wing bullshit. It's like the US Republicans smugly thinking they can control the Tea Party crazies because they are so loving clever then having all their plans derailed and Eric Cantor primaried out.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Kaine is Biden without a mullet and a Camaro.

He's a career politician who people genuinely like and acts like everyone's Dad.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also he's fluent in Spanish and passionate on support for immigration reform. Kaine is one of those guys who's basically competent and well-intentioned, even if he isn't the most exciting or dramatic politician.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Who the gently caress are you people that think she was actually serious about drone striking some random rapist idiot in a foreign embassy in loving London? :psyduck:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

The on thing about FARC that most people can agree on is that it's not news.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Geostomp posted:

If the USA had asked the population what to do with Japan after the war, it'd have probably ended up somewhere like "More nukes" or "Mass executions", not the economic reconstruction that produced the stable and friendly nation state we have today. The people don't really understand that the best option with a defeated enemy is not usually "Crush them underfoot, burn their homes, and execute their families" because most people are operating on a level of about the 10th century in terms of understanding war strategy. Liberals assume that when ordinary conservative voters say they want to glass the Middle East they are engaging in hyperbole. They are not.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

If the USA had asked the population what to do with Japan after the war, it'd have probably ended up somewhere like "More nukes" or "Mass executions", not the economic reconstruction that produced the stable and friendly nation state we have today. The people don't really understand that the best option with a defeated enemy is not usually "Crush them underfoot, burn their homes, and execute their families" because most people are operating on a level of about the 10th century in terms of understanding war strategy. Liberals assume that when ordinary conservative voters say they want to glass the Middle East they are engaging in hyperbole. They are not.

That's not really comparable. FARC isn't a foreign enemy or another country. It's an organization of a few thousand terrorists.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

Jesus tapdancing Christ. Has there ever been a presidential candidate this goddamn... tacky?

Jefferson and Adams were just as childish, though both ten times as intelligent, and in Jefferson's case, racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_zTN4BXvYI&t=25s

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Took a second to realize that a) he's not talking about Oregon, and b) #mepolitics isn't a slam at Trump's narcissism.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Not sure if its been posted, but Hilarys campaign are masters of throwing shade.

List of Newspapers that have endorsed Trump.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This guy is talking out of his rear end so much.

I know people who don't want to admit they are wrong. Also, people who just want to gently caress things up.

It is scary, but, you can't avoid human nature.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Radish posted:

Governments are totally out of touch with how their populaces are feeling. Brexit is example A of idiotic right wing politicians (including both the "moderates" and the far right dumbasses that were pushing it) having no clue what the average person is going to do when given a choice, especially one mired in lots of toxic right wing bullshit. It's like the US Republicans smugly thinking they can control the Tea Party crazies because they are so loving clever then having all their plans derailed and Eric Cantor primaried out.

What gets me is how shocked the right wingers are that their public, many of whom have grown up on a steady diet of their deliberate lies and been pulled in by appeals to their prejudices, could possibly grow to disobey them to live out these teachings. Deliberately cultivating angry extremism divorced from reality resulting in a large number of angry extremists divorced from reality is such an obvious outcome, but the upper crust of the right wing were just too arrogant to ever think that their monster could possibly turn on them until it finally did.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Night10194 posted:

Kaine's a good guy from what's come out about his history. Clean of scandal, well liked by colleagues. A buddy of mine who lived in Virginia while he was governor told me pretty much everyone in the state likes him.

He's what you'd usually choose as a VP: A decent surrogate who can help you a bit in a swing state since he was a popular politician there and has plenty of contacts and friends.

It also helps that if he does get elected VP, he'll be replaced by another democrat. Sure, some people were pissy about Warren or Booker not getting it, but Warren is very much needed in the trenches in the Senate (Wells Fargo :allears:), and Booker has Christie picking his replacement.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, I live in a deep red part of Virginia and Kaine's still pretty well liked around here. He really stepped up to bat with the Virginia tech shooting, especially, and people don't forget that.

He's not a very charismatic guy at all but that honestly works in his favor - a lot of the republicans I've talked to see him as a fairly respectable guy as opposed to a 'bleeding heart liberal.'

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's not really comparable. FARC isn't a foreign enemy or another country. It's an organization of a few thousand terrorists.

People also don't understand that you can't kill your way out of an ideology.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

Lol if anyone is taking that wikileaks poo poo seriously.

yeah the pearl clutching about that joke is honestly incredible, if unsurprising

i swear if hillary was caught telling an intern to "nuke" her cup of coffee there would be "IDEOLOGICAL PURITY ONLY" leftists in this thread talking about her ruining the discourse by using such distasteful terminology

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Geostomp posted:

What gets me is how shocked the right wingers are that their public, many of whom have grown up on a steady diet of their deliberate lies and been pulled in by appeals to their prejudices, could possibly grow to disobey them to live out these teachings. Deliberately cultivating angry extremism divorced from reality resulting in a large number of angry extremists divorced from reality is such an obvious outcome, but the upper crust of the right wing were just too arrogant to ever think that their monster could possibly turn on them until it finally did.

They always, ALWAYS think they can control it. And why wouldn't they think that? The elites of society are really accustomed to obedience, influence, and control.

I still maintain this is a big reason Jeb! got so blindsided. You can see it on his face: "Who would talk to me like that? No-one talks to me like that! It isn't possible."

Endorph posted:

Yeah, I live in a deep red part of Virginia and Kaine's still pretty well liked around here. He really stepped up to bat with the Virginia tech shooting, especially, and people don't forget that.

He's not a very charismatic guy at all but that honestly works in his favor - a lot of the republicans I've talked to see him as a fairly respectable guy as opposed to a 'bleeding heart liberal.'

When Kaine was picked, my friend (who was at VT when the shooting happened) specifically said he'd never forget how Kaine reacted and helped comfort people afterwards.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

fknlo posted:

Who the gently caress are you people that think she was actually serious about drone striking some random rapist idiot in a foreign embassy in loving London? :psyduck:

Has anyone here actually implied that we'd take this at face value? Of course it was a stupid joke.
People are either feigning shock over how tasteless it was or they believe Clinton strangled Scalia and 50 other people with her bare hands anyway.
I can sorta understand how their cognitive bias works: "She killed a supreme court judge, and wasn't even put on trial for it. Of course she could and would bomb an embassy in London without any repercussions."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Waffles Inc. posted:

yeah the pearl clutching about that joke is honestly incredible, if unsurprising

i swear if hillary was caught telling an intern to "nuke" her cup of coffee there would be "IDEOLOGICAL PURITY ONLY" leftists in this thread talking about her ruining the discourse by using such distasteful terminology

The problem is even a minor scandal for her gets bounced around the echo chambers until it's loving massive. Trump, on the other hand, usually gets to skate (not recently though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Has anyone here actually implied that we'd take this at face value? Of course it was a stupid joke.
People are either feigning shock over how tasteless it was or they believe Clinton strangled Scalia and 50 other people with her bare hands anyway.
I can sorta understand how their cognitive bias works: "She killed a supreme court judge, and wasn't even put on trial for it. Of course she could and would bomb an embassy in London without any repercussions."

I mean if she really was Killary KKKlinton then her murderpower is basically unstoppable and she's never even seen trial for her hundreds of slaughters, so I could believe her personally taking her Shadow Form and entering the Embassy to gut Assange unseen.

• Locked thread