Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

ThomasPaine posted:

See the silly thing is, I wonder if most of the people in the post-Soviet countries would, in the early 1990s, have been more than happy to remain united with one another. Obviously there were exceptions like in the Baltics, but the CIS always felt like a top down imposed thing to me for many. If you asked your average Ukrainian back then if they wanted independence, I'd be shocked if a majority said yes. Most of the USSR was against the breakup at the time, but a minority of nationalists were able to force through secession in all the chaos.

Obviously that has no bearing on 2022 politics, but it's interesting to think that had things gone only slightly differently the idea of a Russia-Ukraine conflict would be a laughable absurdity.

Welcome to the desert of the real has some chapters about "communist nostalgia". There is no reason to doubt that the EU and NATO must be loving delighted to have a chance to bang the drum about scary imperialism, because the people who ask "why is every single material aspect of our lives worse than it was under the Soviet Union/Tito?" became the majority, among people old enough to remember those things, sometime before the gfc. The looming menace of lil' Vlad shields and empowers the post-soviet kleptocratic regimes in much the same way that the seemingly eternal threat of The Reds forced and maintained the post-war consensus in much of Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

JoylessJester posted:

"Just come to the negotiating table stop being unreasonable.... no of course those old agreements don't count, lol"

I wonder why no one trusts the west.

*Looks at the agreement that Russia won't invade Ukraine in the future if they give up their new nukes*

Ahh yes, it's the west that's at fault here.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

Not watched the video, but this picture makes me laugh:

https://twitter.com/DoubleDownNews/status/1493155090835849218

Feels like some specific fetishes are being catered to.

His eyes are saying that he loves pegging. :sweatdrop:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

I saw this on Twitter this AM. What the hell is this even about?

"how dare you hold us accountable for our corruption"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Just Another Lurker posted:

They look like he might actually have started just as the photographer pressed the shutter release

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

See the silly thing is, I wonder if most of the people in the post-Soviet countries would, in the early 1990s, have been more than happy to remain united with one another. Obviously there were exceptions like in the Baltics, but the CIS always felt like a top down imposed thing to me for many. If you asked your average Ukrainian back then if they wanted independence, I'd be shocked if a majority said yes. Most of the USSR was against the breakup at the time, but a minority of nationalists were able to force through secession in all the chaos.

Obviously that has no bearing on 2022 politics, but it's interesting to think that had things gone only slightly differently the idea of a Russia-Ukraine conflict would be a laughable absurdity.

I'd be willing to hear from someone with opinion polling to the contrary, but given Ukraine's history within the USSR has seen multiple forced famines and mass killings to try and pacify the region I would be very surprised to hear if many people living there had a great opinion on the Moscow government during the breakup.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Julio Cruz posted:

"how dare you hold us accountable for our corruption"

Ah, so the usual cop stuff.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If they're going to play "and the mayor doesn't even have the confidence of the police" then they should ideally make sure that the police aren't less popular than the mayor first.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bug Squash posted:

I'd be willing to hear from someone with opinion polling to the contrary, but given Ukraine's history within the USSR has seen multiple forced famines and mass killings to try and pacify the region I would be very surprised to hear if many people living there had a great opinion on the Moscow government during the breakup.

Eh, even if we don't dispute that overall point, the late 1980s/early 1990s were a very different ball game to the Stalinist era, and by that time Kiev had become one of the USSR's largest and most prosperous cities, Ukraine certainly wasn't some hard done by backwater.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Just Another Lurker posted:

That's it Rishy, take the piss. Take it, Rishy. All of the piss Rishy. There's a good little boy

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

jiggerypokery posted:

That's it Rishy, take the piss. Take it, Rishy. All of the piss Rishy. There's a good little boy

and to think I got probed for my Boris Johnson piss pig fanfic

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

ThomasPaine posted:

and to think I got probed for my Boris Johnson piss pig fanfic

The difference being that my story is an extrapolation based of a quote from an article that I haven't read, that someone posted on twitter (a site I do not use) on to a comedy forum. I then took that quote entirely out of context, made a wild accusation and set the scene through means of an evocative yet conspicuously unattributed quote.

Ergo, my previous post is quintessential high-caliber British journalism in 2022 and I stand by it

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
The only thing I have to offer to the Russia / Ukraine chat is my Ukrainian colleague’s insights.

He says that generally the mood is upbeat. At a national level most people seem to think it’s the usual sabre rattling and they’re unconcerned. They do not believe an invasion will take place.

He says he has some friends who have moved west from Kyev. Others are unbothered.

Anecdotes don’t equal evidence, I guess, but they’re closer to it all than I/we are.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Camilla, 74, tests positive for corona
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-60377261

Hilarious if the next ones in line die of covid but Queen Lich keeps on kicking

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Simon_Nixon/status/1493159703685312514

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

If Russia does move on Ukraine, which I'm not at all convinced they're actually going to do, I would be very surprised if it involved an actual, full scale military invasion. Much more likely we'd see similar stuff to what we did in Crimea. Moscow will support separatist paramilitaries then send a few troops in to 'maintain the peace' while they stage a few dodgy referendums to legitimise the annexation of certain areas along the border. I very much doubt Kiev itself is under any real threat.

Nenonen posted:

Camilla, 74, tests positive for corona
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-60377261

Hilarious if the next ones in line die of covid but Queen Lich keeps on kicking

Comedy option is Charles and William both somehow die leaving Harry the next in line to the throne. Imagine the scenes.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I get the feeling that half the point of invading Ukraine would be to create a massive crippling refugee crisis around Europe, regardless of what Russia actually wants out of Ukraine itself

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Racking up some lines of fentanyl for a snort inducing read
https://twitter.com/aarjanistan/status/1492933154788810753

ThomasPaine posted:

Comedy option is Charles and William both somehow die leaving Harry the next in line to the throne. Imagine the scenes.
Isn't it William's kids before Harry? I forgot what they're called, Boss Baby and Boss Baby 2 Back In Business

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

If Russia does move on Ukraine, which I'm not at all convinced they're actually going to do, I would be very surprised if it involved an actual, full scale military invasion. Much more likely we'd see similar stuff to what we did in Crimea. Moscow will support separatist paramilitaries then send a few troops in to 'maintain the peace' while they stage a few dodgy referendums to legitimise the annexation of certain areas along the border. I very much doubt Kiev itself is under any real threat.

Sadly I think all of William's kids have to die too. PLEASE NOTE MI5 I AM NOT SUGGESTING ANYONE SHOULD

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Uhhhh George, Charlotte, Louis, Harry

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Ahh, I'd misremembered the succession rules. Yeah, I think sons of the first born do take precedence over the second born. You'd think I'd remember that given my frankly depressing number of hours on Crusader Kings.

e: Actually, iirc they changed the rules to be gender-equal now too, so a first born daughter takes precedence even if she has brothers.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Marmaduke! posted:

I get the feeling that half the point of invading Ukraine would be to create a massive crippling refugee crisis around Europe, regardless of what Russia actually wants out of Ukraine itself

It would be badly mishandled by Biden and massively boost trumps reelection chances too.

More importantly... if 9/11 was the tipping point, an undeterred Ukraine invasion would mark the definitive end of the US as the dominant superpower.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rustybear posted:

it's not the same but good luck with your googling!

Well I couldn't find anything about operation orbital more recent than a 2019 announcement that it was being extended to 2023. Can we cut the rest of this stupid google-fu dance and just get to the bit where you show us what you're talking about?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ThomasPaine posted:

harry: "oh for gently caress's sake"

wonder if he'd serve as regent, though

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rust Martialis posted:

Uhhhh George, Charlotte, Louis, Harry

Everyone gets into a massive car accident on the way to the funeral; Andrew is the only one left in the succession.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Everyone gets into a massive car accident on the way to the funeral; Andrew is the only one left in the succession.

He's 9th so if it's getting to him, I'll drop a fiver on #11:

11. Miss Sienna Mapelli Mozzi

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Cookie Cutter posted:

A conversation was had. Whether that was binding or not is subject to debate. But either way the expansion itself did happen and massively outweighs any accusation of "expansion" that can be aimed at Russia.

The funny part is that the 'conversation' actually concluded that NATO membership can, in fact, be offered to nations east of Germany. Also, Russia promised not to invade its neighbors or gently caress with their sovereignty, and also promised not to demand anyone being kept out of NATO. So you know, if we're talking about promises.

This is even before we get to the most recent of these 'promises' being from the 90s. You know, 25 years ago.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/christhebarker/status/1493152593090162690

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1493267666089525250

I'm guessing this already got posted but what the gently caress? At a time when everyone is leaning more and more towards decriminalisation after the failed War on Drugs these cunts want a Weed Offender's register?

Petty wee dicks trying to out Tory the Tories.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ended up reading the Wikipedia article about the Azov Battallion. It's fun. "In 2014, a spokesman for the regiment said around 10–20% of the unit were neo-Nazis." There's also a good line that in September '14 they were merged into the National Guard & "worked to de-politicise itself", followed by multiple examples of it being less than apolitical. "took part in a march...organised by the Right Sector", "Beginning in 2015, Azov has organised summer camps where children and teenagers receive combat training mixed with lectures on Ukrainian nationalism". And seemingly they have quite a few fash from across Europe among their number, including at least 1 Englishmen. And sure, their logo looks an awful lot like the Wolfsangel used by, among other divisions, the notorious SS 2nd Panzer Division Das Reich, who massacred civilians pretty much wherever they went from France to Russia, but just a coincidence, it means Ідея Нації, because you see, in Old Ukrainian, before Peter The Great, N was replaced by Н for the n sound. And the less said about the founder Biletsky's attitudes to minorities in Ukraine the better (Jews, Romanians in Bukovina & Bessarbia, presumably Russians throughout the country, Bulgarians mainly in Budjak, Slovaks & Hungarians in the Carpathians). We sure know how to pick allies.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Kchama posted:

The funny part is that the 'conversation' actually concluded that NATO membership can, in fact, be offered to nations east of Germany. Also, Russia promised not to invade its neighbors or gently caress with their sovereignty, and also promised not to demand anyone being kept out of NATO. So you know, if we're talking about promises.

This is even before we get to the most recent of these 'promises' being from the 90s. You know, 25 years ago.

This would be much more compelling if it wasn't for the fact that the last time Ukraine elected a government that wasn't that fond of nato or the EU, a well armed colour revolution overthrew it, imprisoned everyone, and banned pro-russian parties.

But 2013 is, you know, a lot of years ago

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I don't think there are any good sides on this. It's not the Soviet Union Vs The Fascists, it's two different tribes of fascists trying to wrest control of Ukraine from each other with Neo-Nazis on both sides.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

I don't think there are any good sides on this. It's not the Soviet Union Vs The Fascists, it's two different tribes of fascists trying to wrest control of Ukraine from each other with Neo-Nazis on both sides.

I mean yeah. It kind of goes without saying that Putin's Russia is bad. I remember when the conflict in Don-Bas was going on more actively there was an MMA company that would put on fights for free on Youtube (IIRC) & it was at about 5pm UK time so it was just great low level violence to watch, Oplot Challenge. And then it came out that they were full on fighting for the Don-Bas separatists & the UFC fighter Oleksy Oleinik got banned from entering Ukraine because he had links to them, the promoter was offering to square go anyone at the Maidan protests, just ultra-nationalist cunts all the way down.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Sure, but that doesn't mean we have to arm one bunch of Nazis against the other. If anything it would be a pretty good use of influence to withhold all weapons and assistance from one side until they dealt with their Nazi problem in full, that sounds like a good incentive for them to act.

If one of the aims of NATO was denazification, which it obviously isn't lol

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'd suggest that supporting the Pro Europe/EU fraction of Ukraine's political spectrum would be a start to the long road of defacistising Ukraine, except Hungary.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Dabir posted:

Well I couldn't find anything about operation orbital more recent than a 2019 announcement that it was being extended to 2023. Can we cut the rest of this stupid google-fu dance and just get to the bit where you show us what you're talking about?

why? so you can google search some counter-arguments?

also who's the 'us' here, not sure anyone else wants to die on the 'they may be neo-nazis but by god they're our neo-nazis' hill with you

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'd suggest that supporting the Pro Europe/EU fraction of Ukraine's political spectrum would be a start to the long road of defacistising Ukraine, except Hungary.

That is literally what started the loving conflict

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Turns out there's a fair few Nazis who love the White Countries Only club

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rustybear posted:

why? so you can google search some counter-arguments?

also who's the 'us' here, not sure anyone else wants to die on the 'they may be neo-nazis but by god they're our neo-nazis' hill with you

If you don't actually have a source it's ok to say so. I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I propose arming Nazi groups by giving them one bullet at a time, delivered at muzzle velocity.

:)