Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

sit on my Facebook posted:

Upper middle class old suburban white people.

Okay new plan.

We burn down the suburbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

BarbarianElephant posted:

They don't want any of these things (except maybe infrastructure.) They want jobs. The only problem with this is that for centuries, all the jobs have been moving to the city. You can't exactly teleport a Starbucks to the middle of nowhere. A 1000 seat call-center isn't going to set up in a village with 200 inhabitants.

Saying you want jobs, but don't want any help in building those jobs is not exactly compelling. The means to job creation are offered to them, they just refuse it. Like I said before, you cant make jobs appear out of thin air. What you can do is invest tax dollars and make a community viable to for growth and new industry. Those things require increases in revenue and a focused plan to use that revenue to grow specific industries or communities. These stats have made their government so ineffective that they cant even implement basic policy to help the people that need it. But if a left leaning politician tries to do something and they receive literal death threats, harassment, and people don't vote.

This is not a simple problem to resolve. and it's been getting worse for thirty years ,it will get much more worse before anything is done about it because rock bottom is still a ways to go. At this point even immediate change in governance wont help anyone for 5-10 years due to the massive hole most southern states are in.

Also anyone who identifies as any bit left of center should not be blaming the poor or writing them off. Blame wont really help here. I don't think people should get a pass on being lovely just for being rural or poor however. The issue is organizing and turning out the not lovely poor people, who generally are not voting.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

OAquinas posted:

Who will have an ironclad alibi by being in front of 300 people. Who Breitbart will then call crisis actors, and the cycle begins anew.

Everytime one of those 300 people died it will be front page of Drudge. "ANOTHER HILLARY 'WITNESS' BITES DUST"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah, Trump's average supporter isn't actually poor, just an enormous rear end in a top hat white male 45-65 years old.

Also in a lot of "deep red" counties in red states you still had like 1/3 to 2/5 of the vote going to Obama in '08 and '12. That's a lot of people NOT voting for right wing vermin to just write off.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Actually i think there's an Amazon call center in middle of nowhere, MD in like Allegheny county or something. I drive by it on the way out of town

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Apraxin posted:

Trump just said that ISIS are praying daily for Hillary to be elected. Also that Obama says ISIL instead of ISIS because 'he likes disturbing all of you'. What.

US Election 2016: Russian hackers vs. Terrorist prayer groups

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

WampaLord posted:

Like, this is the debate he's almost guaranteed to "win" because Wallace will go super hard on Hillary and will lob him softballs and he's going to skip this one?

He's going to start demanding concession after concession about the debate staging and process, and when he gets rebuffed he can drop out while blaming it on them being unreasonable or biased.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Feldegast42 posted:

Because it's the attitude of "lol, gently caress'em" that is leading to a lot of rural poverty which in turn is causing a populist uprising. Like that Cracked article noted, they are hopeless and have nothing left to lose, so they might as well vote Trump since he's the only one that's kind of sympathic to their plight, even if he is full of poo poo.

And before someone goes on about how progressives feel for their plight too, the one rural poverty thread on this board got gassed because people were literally advocating for reverse Cultural Revolutions and Final Solutions to the problem.

It wasn't gassed

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

For the record, I sympathize for those caught in the cycle of rural poverty, but it's a hard complicated problem without an easy solution, on top of which, they actively hate the people who could start working on the problem.

Like, even if Trump won, he wouldn't bring back jobs to them. It's not possible.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

WampaLord posted:

Like, this is the debate he's almost guaranteed to "win" because Wallace will go super hard on Hillary and will lob him softballs and he's going to skip this one?

Trump is not going to win any debate how many times do we have to go through this? It doesn't matter that it's on Fox when he is completely incapable of composing himself and putting in anything near a respectable performance. He. Will. Not. Win. The. Debate.

I also doesn't help him that the 3rd debate is by far the least important one.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

lozzle posted:

Okay new plan.

We burn down the suburbs.

I'd be okay with this. Strip malls and subdevelopments are a blight on the land.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I seriously think trump isnt ignorant or insane, but is actively trying to lose the election as dramatically as possible because he doesnt want to be president.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WampaLord posted:

For the record, I sympathize for those caught in the cycle of urban poverty, but it's a hard complicated problem without an easy solution, on top of which, they actively hate the people who could start working on the problem.

Ftfy

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, Trump's average supporter isn't actually poor, just an enormous rear end in a top hat white male 45-65 years old.

Also in a lot of "deep red" counties in red states you still had like 1/3 to 2/5 of the vote going to Obama in '08 and '12. That's a lot of people NOT voting for right wing vermin to just write off.

also people are forgetting suburban and exurban communities, which also lean conservative, and were a key factor in a lot of republican victories like as reagan and gingrich.

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Pick posted:

Yes, when you consider rural people, and you blame them for not understanding the policies they may or may not be voting for, think about your high school education. Now imagine something about half as good. That is what they were given for making decisions about their future. These are people who have been systematically failed.

Education tends to be a magic bullet, but I went to a very nice high school and people who were in my classes and did well still put up shitheaded support for Trump. So better education won't help everyone. Trump himself went to a great prep school, for example.

But yeah, who would blame the poor for anything? The poor don't vote. I wish they could. They're too busy working or don't have a car to get to the polling place or don't even know how to register to vote.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Saying you want jobs, but don't want any help in building those jobs is not exactly compelling. The means to job creation are offered to them, they just refuse it. Like I said before, you cant make jobs appear out of thin air. What you can do is invest tax dollars and make a community viable to for growth and new industry. Those things require increases in revenue and a focused plan to use that revenue to grow specific industries or communities. These stats have made their government so ineffective that they cant even implement basic policy to help the people that need it. But if a left leaning politician tries to do something and they receive literal death threats, harassment, and people don't vote.

The idea that people see a project and say "this could help me but gently caress you I don't want it" is baseless.

The recurring theme has been people thinking something doesn't benefit them, and not just that but costs them money while benefiting someone who is not struggling. This is also, incidentally, what fuels a lot of progressive populist rhetoric.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 12, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Basically, I think you have to look at these things in a bigger picture kind of way. I mean, you can make a lot of the same statements about men and why they vote the way they do. It's not fair to blame rural people for being rural, or men for being men. There are a lot of really good rural folk Who vote in the interests of others, and there are a lot of good men who vote in the interests of others. We like to look at things like Nate Silver's map, and be like drat. But there's a lot going on there. By and large, people are who we have trained them to be.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump is not going to win any debate how many times do we have to go through this? It doesn't matter that it's on Fox when he is completely incapable of composing himself and putting in anything near a respectable performance. He. Will. Not. Win. The. Debate.

Notice the quotes around win? I think it's the one where the media would be more likely to say he did the best because Wallace will go super hard on Hillary and she'll probably stumble at one or two points.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

greatn posted:

What if Trump really is doing cocaine to get ready for a debate? What if he ODs on stage?

Regardless of wherever he OD's, Trump supporters will be convinced he was given bad cocaine by Clinton operatives.

Also I think the 'I'm done' with Trump was in reference to answering questions about it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Notice the quotes around win? I think it's the one where the media would be more likely to say he did the best because Wallace will go super hard on Hillary and she'll probably stumble at one or two points.

The media is done with the horse race narrative.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/candacesmith_/status/786262723323715584

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/786266991694753792

In before a :patssay: post.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

WampaLord posted:

For the record, I sympathize for those caught in the cycle of rural poverty, but it's a hard complicated problem without an easy solution, on top of which, they actively hate the people who could start working on the problem.

Like, even if Trump won, he wouldn't bring back jobs to them. It's not possible.

Yeah I'm not trying to be overly hostile or anything, I feel ya. It's just that after spending my entire adult life in Oklahoma I've really come to hate this persistent meme of "poor white people in the sticks are ruining politics" because if you actually know anything about red state politics, you'd know that the idea that impoverished rural communities wield any kind of meaningful power in the system is ludicrous.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The media is done with the horse race narrative.

Well, the have one, but it's for congress :getin:

And Fox isn't done with it, but Fox is going to be so :shlick: worthy come the 8th.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

OAquinas posted:

Crossposting from the CSPAM/BoneZone:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trumps-rise-that-no-one-talks-about/

It's actually a decent piece from Cracked (really!) about where Trump supporters are coming from, while fully acknowledging how terrible their opinions are.

This poo poo is sticking with us even after the orange vulgarian departs the scene, so it's definitely worth a read.

This article is pretty well written and a worthy read, I think. The guy doesn't really pose any solutions (are there any?), but he paints a picture of deploreable America and makes the point that it's not just that these people are racists, their way of life IS in fact actually being crushed out of existence, etc.

Weird that Cracked used to be the idiot little brother of Mad Magazine when I was growing up and now it sometimes produces some pretty decent political articles.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

iospace posted:

More scales falling off, from back in August:
https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/764909726278836225
https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/785520466429632512

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

No lie, it's going to be an incredible resource in the future. Historians kill for poo poo like this. And when everyone's talking in future-Zalgo, nerds are going to be trying to explain ye olde zingers from the country's rich cultural past.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly is so useful about our dick jokes? Is it just because it provides context for the kind of things we talked about, or because it makes us seem less abstract like when when we found bathroom graffiti in Ancient Rome?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Goatman Sacks posted:

Reminds me of the primaries when Clinton said "where was Bernie when I tried to do healthcare reform in the 90s?"

Yes this is what came to mind for me.

It's really just indicative of the fact that people have bad loving memories - myself included.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

computer parts posted:

The idea that people see a project and say "this could help me but gently caress you I don't want it" is baseless.

The recurring theme has been people thinking something doesn't benefit them, and not just that but costs them money while benefiting someone who is not struggling.

This is a much better wa of putting it. thank you.

The race to the bottom is real , and it is destroying red states first because it has been grafted into the ideology of the alt-right. Anything that helps someone else and not me is bad. therefore the only things that get done are things that help those in power, while everyone else is continually left out. How do you change that culture, or more importantly, how do you minimize it while promoting a culture of helping others without any benefit to yourself?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also, I do think that the cracked article made a good point that city culture is incredibly fast and weird to most folks in rural areas. And it has very little patience for the time it takes for rural communities to catch up culturally. One of the reasons that you see folk get so pissed about LGBT, LGBTQ, Latin@, and etc is that they legitimately can't keep up with lingo and they get mad when they're shut down for making a mistake when they really were trying. It is humiliating to them. So they feel like they are forced to be the bad guys, so they just own it. It doesn't describe everyone, but it is definitely a running thread.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I haven't seen anything like this in my lifetime (paying varying degrees of attention to elections since the Reagan years, I'm old), a major party nominee flinging poo in all directions 4 weeks before the election, and the people in his party not even unendorsing, or running back and forth with their hair on fire and reversing their unendorsements just because the guy didn't become a literal corncob in the second debate.

It's historic, hilarious but sickening and dreadful all at the same time.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is not a simple problem to resolve. and it's been getting worse for thirty years ,it will get much more worse before anything is done about it because rock bottom is still a ways to go. At this point even immediate change in governance wont help anyone for 5-10 years due to the massive hole most southern states are in.

Also anyone who identifies as any bit left of center should not be blaming the poor or writing them off. Blame wont really help here. I don't think people should get a pass on being lovely just for being rural or poor however. The issue is organizing and turning out the not lovely poor people, who generally are not voting.
They want jobs but they don't want strangers to work alongside them, especially not if they're immigrants. There are also infrastructure problems you just can't get around in low population density areas. If you want to build a factory that has 1000 jobs, but every nearby town only has 100 people, even locating it centrally won't help the people too poor to afford the commute, and it won't boost local economic activity (people getting lunch, gassing up their cars, running errands, etc.) in anything but the town it's located in.

This sniveling bullshit is hands-down the worst thing about this site. Engage with someone's opinions or shut up. And you know what? As an "urban youth" I'm sick of you useless white pricks using my community as a political football to score points on each other with.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 12, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zwabu posted:

This article is pretty well written and a worthy read, I think. The guy doesn't really pose any solutions (are there any?), but he paints a picture of deploreable America and makes the point that it's not just that these people are racists, their way of life IS in fact actually being crushed out of existence, etc.

Weird that Cracked used to be the idiot little brother of Mad Magazine when I was growing up and now it sometimes produces some pretty decent political articles.

Buzzfeed started crowding Cracked out (and to be fair, Buzzfeed doesn't do the multi-page list poo poo that Cracked does), so I think Cracked adapted.

And then Buzzfeed decided to do some journalism and well, here we are.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Well, his notion of locker room talk probably does involve discussions of cheating.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

In my experience, a lot of the folks living out here are coming from a place of myopia and ignorance, rather than hate. I live in the rural north-east, mind, so this isn't at all universal.

Sure, there are some genuine bigots and assholes out here, but for the most part folks just aren't too concerned with what's happening with the world outside their sphere.

Hence, the appeal of conservatism and libertarianism. Keep things the way they are, keep your laws off my property, don't tax me for services I don't use, etc. etc. The newspaper comes out once a week, and is mostly filled with the mugshots of who got arrested in the county, and a few puff pieces about flower festivals and old people with interesting toy train collections. People watch Fox news sometimes, but more often than not, they'd rather watch whatever sports are on, or whatever reality show is interesting. They just aren't too concerned with the outside world, except when they feel threatened by it. There just aren't than many black people living here (and yeah, it's a huge shock going from a city that's about 40% black to a village that's 3%), so they fall back to what they see on TV.

Hence, all the Republican threat based propositions: "The liberals are coming to make your daughters get gay aborted by Obama's tax funded ISIS Muslims!"

Taking the time to think things through, or consider how and why things might go in a couple years just doesn't really come into play. They're worried about the next season's harvest, or getting chores done, or how they're going to scrape together enough money to pay rent. They have different priorities, and so a big successful rich guy who makes them feel good about themselves and is running for "their team" sounds better than the wife of that adulterer who ruined the country. There's not much more thought or analysis than that. Why overthink?

And it's not everyone. Driving along the state routes, I see about as many Clinton/Kaine signs as I do Trump/Pence ones.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This sniveling bullshit is hands-down the worst thing about this site. Engage with someone's opinions or shut up.

Fully agree. Keep the drive by shitposting out of the forum designed to be all about long winded arguments unless it's really funny

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

How do you change that culture, or more importantly, how do you minimize it while promoting a culture of helping others without any benefit to yourself?

Well, a good starting point might be convincing likeminded people to adopt that culture before working on your opponents.

Remember: there is benefit to aiding (e.g.) minorities as a Democratic voter, because they help enact your policies. That's not exactly selfless sacrifice.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

By the way, early voting in both Obio and Arizona began today. We're already gonna be running up the score while Trump is floundering like a fish out of water

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

OddObserver posted:

Well, his notion of locker room talk probably does involve discussions of cheating.

:golfclap:

Also:
An interesting take from back in May (part of a thread)
https://twitter.com/LPDonovan/status/727312102252273664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

iospace posted:

Well, the have one, but it's for congress :getin:

And Fox isn't done with it, but Fox is going to be so :shlick: worthy come the 8th.

Fox News at 8 PM PST when they have to call it for hillary is going to be amazing to watch. :shlick:

reminder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TwuR0jCavk

• Locked thread