Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Mammal Sauce posted:

I'm not familiar with this movie, but just be aware that most of Amazon's "-ploitation" movies are heavily edited and sometimes make even less sense than the original cut.

That's really strange. Do you know if they're being edited by amazon before being put online or if it's the source that amazon gets the movie from initially? That just seems like such a weird thing to do either way. It makes me think of that Cleanflicks story about the Utah business editing out the sex, violence, and cursing from movies and redistributing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lycus posted:

Flowers is a weird show. Silly dark comedy, silly dark comedy, oh here's a serious scene about chronic depression.

Quoting this so I can remember to look it up later, because that sounds extremely my jam.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

Travelers s3 is definitely worth watching if you liked the first 2 seasons, and Grace is still the best character on the show

Yes, I love the show. I enjoy so many of the actors are from Continuum too which has a similar premise.

I did not like this season's end though. I kept thinking "this better not be a hard reset" and than it was.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Slandible posted:

Yes, I love the show. I enjoy so many of the actors are from Continuum too which has a similar premise.

I did not like this season's end though. I kept thinking "this better not be a hard reset" and than it was.

Re: Travelers s3 ending

I suspected they were going to do time travel resets with the nukes, suspicions grew stronger when David died and Omega Protocol, and if you didn't know that they were going to reset when Marcy killed herself, you don't watch enough TV.

The ending with David and Marcy meeting was a bit iffy, since on paper you're to think "Awww they got together again" but then you have to remember that the Marcy there is a different character.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Medullah posted:

Re: Travelers s3 ending

I suspected they were going to do time travel resets with the nukes, suspicions grew stronger when David died and Omega Protocol, and if you didn't know that they were going to reset when Marcy killed herself, you don't watch enough TV.

The ending with David and Marcy meeting was a bit iffy, since on paper you're to think "Awww they got together again" but then you have to remember that the Marcy there is a different character.

If they do another season with the hard reboot it really wouldn't make sense to keep any of the actors other than McCormick, because he's the only person with knowledge of why the project failed. Because of that David and Marcy scene, and because Grant terminated his relationship with his host's wife before it began in the new timeline, there's no reason to expect anyone to be dying in the same circumstances as before so the Director would either utilize different corpses of opportunity or find some new methods for choosing hosts, and if the Director has more leeway to choose hosts then it wouldn't pick an epileptic woman nor a heroin junkie and that's 40% of the current team right there.

That having been said, it's a science fiction TV show so of course they would use the same actors and that means some ridiculous plot contrivances ahead. I like the show but honestly this might be the best point to end it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

If they do another season with the hard reboot it really wouldn't make sense to keep any of the actors other than McCormick, because he's the only person with knowledge of why the project failed. Because of that David and Marcy scene, and because Grant terminated his relationship with his host's wife before it began in the new timeline, there's no reason to expect anyone to be dying in the same circumstances as before so the Director would either utilize different corpses of opportunity or find some new methods for choosing hosts, and if the Director has more leeway to choose hosts then it wouldn't pick an epileptic woman nor a heroin junkie and that's 40% of the current team right there.

That having been said, it's a science fiction TV show so of course they would use the same actors and that means some ridiculous plot contrivances ahead. I like the show but honestly this might be the best point to end it.

(Travelers) they can't even use McCormick. He died in 9/11 in this new timeline.

Of course they could always say "he escaped" and then have the new director send back Marcy and crew again so nothing's changed, but I'd rather see the show end gracefully at this point. This season was really good but man it was brutal to watch in some parts. Poor David

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Enos Cabell posted:

It was pretty uneven overall, but I enjoyed the first season of Future Man on Hulu quite a bit. Derek Wilson as Wolf in particular is amazing, I really wish we could get an 80s spinoff show featuring him.
I also didn't enjoy it that much at the beginning but was intrigued. It gets way better as that first season progresses.

New season January 11th.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Medullah posted:

(Travelers) they can't even use McCormick. He died in 9/11 in this new timeline.

Of course they could always say "he escaped" and then have the new director send back Marcy and crew again so nothing's changed, but I'd rather see the show end gracefully at this point. This season was really good but man it was brutal to watch in some parts. Poor David

yeah I wasn't sure if he died in the attack or not, but I think you're right because he was just standing by the window and checking his watch. Also the season was pretty rough on all the travelers, most of them experienced terrible loss and Trevor and the historian were physiologically doomed, and Grace never got that tryst with Trevor she was so hot for.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

yeah I wasn't sure if he died in the attack or not, but I think you're right because he was just standing by the window and checking his watch. Also the season was pretty rough on all the travelers, most of them experienced terrible loss and Trevor and the historian were physiologically doomed, and Grace never got that tryst with Trevor she was so hot for.

Travelers - he definitely died in the tower. He locked himself in the room where Traveler 001 had first appeared, so that if the Director didn't get his message to abort the program, at least 001 wouldn't be a problem (that's why Marcy was normal and not mentally handicapped at the end)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bright Lights Big City is on Hulu. One of my favorite adaptations of one of my favorite novels. It was actually really hard to find for a while so this is extra good.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mammal Sauce posted:

I'm not familiar with this movie, but just be aware that most of Amazon's "-ploitation" movies are heavily edited and sometimes make even less sense than the original cut.

If the Sprocket Flicks logo turns up (and there’s a specific font/layout they use for thumbnails) then pass quickly. (Though it’s also an indicator that most of those films are less than an hour long.)

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I also didn't enjoy it that much at the beginning but was intrigued. It gets way better as that first season progresses.

New season January 11th.

Awesome, I'm glad it's almost here. I'll second how hilarious this show is but it definitely takes a while to ramp up. Certainly Wolf doesn't start out as the best character but he was my favorite by the end.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
New Terrace House on Netflix :3

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just noticed that Killing Eve is on Hulu too. It's a loving amazing show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Flowers: Open-ended endings. :argh:.

(Technically. I think it's pretty clear what happened.)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

bred posted:

Hell yeah.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bred posted:

I’m trying my best to pace myself by only watching one episode a night, but it is so hard not to watch 3 or 4 back to back. I just did my top 10 for 2018 and Terrace House got the top spot.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tagichatn posted:

Awesome, I'm glad it's almost here. I'll second how hilarious this show is but it definitely takes a while to ramp up. Certainly Wolf doesn't start out as the best character but he was my favorite by the end.

I freaking love that Wolf speaks in Na'vi when things get emotional.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bred posted:

Just realized those people in my office weren't talking about a show called Terrorist House.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Just realized those people in my office weren't talking about a show called Terrorist House.

I can't tell if this is a Threedom reference or not.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nope! I overheard people in my office talking about the show and heard Terrorist House. I mean, I assumed I misheard but I didn't know what the show actually was.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I want to watch the meat crime episode of Terrorist House.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man now I'm hoping Terrorist House is a sequel to Sex House.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

feedmyleg posted:

Nope! I overheard people in my office talking about the show and heard Terrorist House. I mean, I assumed I misheard but I didn't know what the show actually was.

Fact: My wife and I actually call Terrace House Terrorist House when we talk about it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

My thoughts exactly, and overall it's a comment I've seen a lot about the movie. It has a really strong first act, then it drags in the middle and the last act just doesn't deliver enough to justify the runtime. It was badly in need of another edit.

I've heard people say that maybe this is a symptom of the whole Netflix production model, that when they snag a big name director they give them too much freedom and it leads to bloated films/shows that should've been edited better.

Watching people suddenly defend studio interference as good, gross

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DeimosRising posted:

it's less "good" and more double-edged

often it means interesting ideas get replaced with blandness, but often it also means insanely awful ideas get nixed. a studio exec would have said no to the subject matter of Beasts of No Nation, but a studio exec would have also said no to the sympathetic pedophile subplot from Mute. it really depends on who the director is, who the studio execs are, and what they're fighting over.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

often it means interesting ideas get replaced with blandness, but often it also means insanely awful ideas get nixed. a studio exec would have said no to the subject matter of Beasts of No Nation, but a studio exec would have also said no to the sympathetic pedophile subplot from Mute. it really depends on who the director is, who the studio execs are, and what they're fighting over.

Hollywood movie studios are famously anti-pedophilia

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

DeimosRising posted:

This isn't "sudden." People have been defending this at least as far back as the Star Wars prequels, where it was commonplace to point out that unleashed Lucas with a bunch of people saying "yes" to all his ideas made worse movies than Lucas with limits. Sometimes it's good to get reigned in. Obviously the studio system isn't the ideal setup for that sort of reigning in, but it can be better than nothing.

My favorite movie podcast, Blank Check with Griffin and David, is a pretty good illustration of this. They cover directors who have such massive success that they basically get to make movies free from significant studio interference. That is, they get "blank checks." A lot of these directors consequently go off the rails rather badly. But then again, sometimes you get masterpieces too, and at least either way you usually get interesting stuff. So, it's not like studio interference is the best thing that ever happened. But it's not always 100% a negative.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Studio interference is poo poo. Like what are you getting protected from that doesn’t already exist in the “wild?” It’s auteur fantasy that someone just has a big vision that just needs a company to moderate and realize the true potential. Like, Suicide Squad and BvS are discussed, Squaresoft went from making multimedia to mediocre poo poo like Advent Children under the “modestness” concept here.

You have people like Harvey Weinstein who are well known for exploiting the influence on casting and content. There’s no justifying that just so you can get some illusory reassurance that someone might not make something they want because it might be what they wanted to make. Which is bizarre on another level cause cut content and authorial intention are constantly invoked when it’s clear we don’t actually give a poo poo.

Many companies rely on good will auteur projects so that their brands have perceived good will with consumers. “Sometimes you get good stuff if people get creative” is precisely that type of risk.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Corrosion posted:

Studio interference is poo poo. Like what are you getting protected from that doesn’t already exist in the “wild?” It’s auteur fantasy that someone just has a big vision that just needs a company to moderate and realize the true potential. Like, Suicide Squad and BvS are discussed, Squaresoft went from making multimedia to mediocre poo poo like Advent Children under the “modestness” concept here.

You have people like Harvey Weinstein who are well known for exploiting the influence on casting and content. There’s no justifying that just so you can get some illusory reassurance that someone might not make something they want because it might be what they wanted to make. Which is bizarre on another level cause cut content and authorial intention are constantly invoked when it’s clear we don’t actually give a poo poo.

Many companies rely on good will auteur projects so that their brands have perceived good will with consumers. “Sometimes you get good stuff if people get creative” is precisely that type of risk.

The “tight” version of Apostle or whatever doesn’t exist so it’s easy to pretend it would be non specifically better and some kind of controlling dad figure would have produced it, but it’s also bullshit

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
so I'm confused - apostle was compared to the raid 2 which is a commando martial arts action movie while apostle appears to take place in 1905 and is about a cult

am I looking at the wrong thing? apostle sounds intriguing but the reviews here are kind of ho-hum

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea it's really not anything like The Raid or The Raid 2 so any comparisons you've heard are wrong.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea it's really not anything like The Raid or The Raid 2 so any comparisons you've heard are wrong.

okay, you replied to one of them so maybe said person just happened to watch the raid 2 and apostle back to back or something

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Same director:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Oh sorry yea same director I figured we all knew that.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

DeimosRising posted:

Counterpoint: 90% of the time the director's cut of a movie is objectively worse than the studio cut.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Weren't both of those movies already made when Netflix came in and bought the distribution rights?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The actual answer is that there’s a difference between “studio interference” and “people who work on the production in some capacity other than director and have creative influence.”

Studio meddling is something like Beavis being suddenly cut off at the knees because they want more screenings in a day.

One producer talking to a filmmaker and questioning their vision constructively is just effective collaboration.

Debating creative choices is neither intrinsically good or bad. What’s bad is completely mercenary decision-making that gets handed down because, I don’t know, “American audiences won’t except a black male lead with a white woman” or whatever.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
DC watching house of cards like it's a fantasy magic land where decisions have consequences.