Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Why would I be frightened of dawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

freebooter posted:

vampire?

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

Copypastas aint what they used to be

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

freebooter posted:

dawn frasier could kick my rear end

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

kirbysuperstar posted:

and shes a massive racist

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Putting aside the "let er rip", "business first, public health second" ideology of Scomo. I reckon this is him pushing his way back into popularity.

Coz he is the one pushing for the end of lockdown, not the meanie weenie Premiers. He is the one that granted you your freedom. Remember that when you go to the polls. It is all ScoMo's fault you can now have a beer at the pub, go to the park and travel overseas, (and also why hundreds of people are on ventilators dying.)

It's all about positioning himself as the good guy, even though it is his gently caress up with vaccine rollout that largely got us into this mess. (Also gently caress Gladys and her smug refusal to do anything when it needed to be done, and then blaming everyone else.)

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Animal Friend posted:

Third anniversary of this lol

(Flag outside Dutton's office)

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

"We have to move FORWARD toward the dawn, not BACKWARD. Upward to the dawn, not FORWARD. And always Twirling, Twirling, Twirling Towards the dawn!"

- Prime Minister Scott Morrison

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Toss salad and scrambled eggs all over your face

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
dawn frasier could kick my rear end and furthermore she probably would

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
Toll Australia truck drivers have called out a strike for Friday.

Toll is a basket case.

- Japan Post bought them in 2015 for $6.5 billion. $3.2 billion a year revenue, two ships, 39 planes, 151 depots, 884 trucks, 3496 trailers, 5847 cars, vans and motorbikes and 8151 shipping containers
- They entered into contracts for parcel delivery centres all around Australia
- Startrack, TNT/Fedex, UPS all did the same, but better and cheaper.
- Toll got hit twice by crypto extortion attacks at the start of 2020, knocking them offline for 3 months. 3 months of no parcel tracking.
- Japan Post claimed that the computer systems were rubbish, the management was out of control, and Toll was way too close to organised crime.
- Japan Post sold 40% of Toll to a private Equity firm, Allegro Funds in April for $7.8 million, which is about 3% of what they paid for it.
- Allegro Funds has decided it's time for CapitalismTM.

This will somehow be seen as a victory for anti-lockdown people.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

evilbastard posted:

Toll is a basket case.

- Japan Post bought them in 2015 for $6.5 billion. $3.2 billion a year revenue, two ships, 39 planes, 151 depots, 884 trucks, 3496 trailers, 5847 cars, vans and motorbikes and 8151 shipping containers
- Toll got hit twice by crypto extortion attacks at the start of 2020, knocking them offline for 3 months. 3 months of no parcel tracking.
- Japan Post claimed that the computer systems were rubbish, the management was out of control, and Toll was way too close to organised crime.
- Japan Post sold 40% of Toll to a private Equity firm, Allegro Funds in April for $7.8 million, which is about 3% of what they paid for it.

My aunt and uncle think this is about national freedom from lockdown already

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

evilbastard posted:

With the things I've heard from former road train drivers- This doesn't surprise me. Let's just say.... "Bikies" and extra box thrown in the back on the way to the shipping destination...

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/toll-workers-strike-friday-deliveries-delay

quote:

Drivers will stop work for 24 hours in protests over new proposals that would cut overtime pay and introduce new low contractor wages

And others have said- Morons will spin this as an anti lockdown protest

Cpt Soban fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 23, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Toll HR are some of the dumbest loving people I've ever had to deal with and Toll management was basically an idiotic boys club among idiotic boys clubs six years ago. I'd wager it's the same now.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

evilbastard posted:

Toll is a basket case.

ahh hahah so close imagine if had coincidently been on tuesday 31st instead of friday 27th

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Scott Morrison picking fights with premiers, threatening to cut off funds if they don't keep to the agreement regarding no more lockdowns (the one Morrison made a big celebration of a couple of weeks before NSW was forced into lockdown).

Like yeah, at some point Covid will have to be allowed to spread with a zero Covid requirement being unrealistic, but loving read the room and maybe avoid the lectures until we're getting closer to that vaccination level.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Imagine if in response to the school strikes for climate the government not only didn't criticize those protests directly, didn't mention them at all really, but instead began talking about how we had to start reducing our emissions and we can't go on producing fossil fuels forever.

Wouldn't that be strange? How loving weird would that be?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can't wait for the panic when we hit 65% Vax nationally and then the rate falls off a cliff.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The unvaccinated will die at far higher rates. One way or another number go up

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

threatening to cut off funds if they don't keep to the agreement regarding no more lockdowns

See it's funny, he keeps pointing at the "plan", yet said planners are saying the infection rates are too high regardless of the vaccination rate.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ute-expert-says

quote:

But while the Doherty modelling outlines a path to fewer restrictions after national vaccinations hit 70%, it also assumes outbreaks beginning in the 10s rather than hundreds, “continuous low-level social restrictions” and an “optimal” testing, tracing, isolating and quarantine system to control numbers.

McCaw, who holds an honorary position at the Doherty Institute, said on Friday that NSW was “clearly” not in that situation.

Ol' Scomo is shouting at the 70% number "look look! It's our ticket out!" while ignoring the giant loving asterisk next to it.

Eediot Jedi posted:

The unvaccinated will die at far higher rates. One way or another number go up

Just look at Florida:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/08/21/covid-situation-florida-crisis-and-getting-worse/8214050002/

quote:

Florida became the third state in the U.S. to reach 3 million cases of COVID-19, a total surpassed by only 15 countries in the world.

Cases in the state fell very slightly this week, with 150,740 compared to 151,764 last week, but deaths were on the rise. The state saw 1,486 deaths this week compared to 1,071 the week before. Florida reported an all-time death record, with 1,486 deaths in the past week – nearly 15% above the previous record of 1,296 deaths in a week of January.

Cpt Soban fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 23, 2021

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Why does Scotty keep saying and doing conflicting things ALL the time? Who is he fighting internally? I don't understand and it's exhausting trying to keep up with his constant barrage of insincere platitudes and bullshit.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

fappenmeister posted:

Who is he fighting internally?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmOc4GLq8xM

I pictured this.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

fappenmeister posted:

Why does Scotty keep saying and doing conflicting things ALL the time? Who is he fighting internally?
satan

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

fappenmeister posted:

Why does Scotty keep saying and doing conflicting things ALL the time? Who is he fighting internally? I don't understand and it's exhausting trying to keep up with his constant barrage of insincere platitudes and bullshit.

He's a lovely ad man who can't read the room

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

fappenmeister posted:

Who is he fighting internally?

A coat-rack he bumped into.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I don't understand how the guy who got fired from his marketing job can be so bad at messaging.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Senor Tron posted:

I don't understand how the guy who got fired from his marketing job can be so bad at messaging.

https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/federal-government-sacks-tourism-australia-managing-director/

And for anyone unaware- Here's a classic read. Sad that he's always had that loving smirk.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Senor Tron posted:

This is what it feels like.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How many vaccinated people are dying in Florida? Must be some stats on that.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Fired twice, NZ and Aus. Literally failed his way to the top.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-23/zero-covid-just-not-possible-gladys-berejiklian-says/100400692

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

JBP posted:

How many vaccinated people are dying in Florida? Must be some stats on that.

This data is two weeks old, they are working on updating it.

Note that states with high vaccination rates will report a higher percentage of breakthrough cases (where someone fully vaccinated gets covid) as the numbers skew, same with states with big outbreaks as there are more exposures = more chances to get lucky.

That said, a little down into the article they estimate the hospitalization and death rates between vaccinated & unvaccinated.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/08/10/us/covid-breakthrough-infections-vaccines.html

E: Florida's data was not available to be included in the analysis.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 23, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Was Florida the state where the governor was trying to swat and arrest the woman that was providing the accurate data?

edit: yes

https://twitter.com/npr/status/1351276241949782018?s=21

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Just received an email from NSW Gov that included this:

quote:

Updated case locations map and changes to contract tracing

Know the latest numbers for reported cases plus testing and vaccination statistics for your local area.

Contact tracing in metropolitan Sydney is now focused on people who have potentially been exposed to a close contact in their own household, at workplaces, or in high-risk venues such as healthcare, aged care, schools and childcare.

This new focus has been made because there is now very low risk of infection in casual contact venues.

NSW Health will continue to identify all contact venues (close and casual) in areas outside of metropolitan Sydney, including the Central Coast, Illawarra and Blue Mountains.

Trying to reduce daily numbers?

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 23, 2021

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Do they have the correct method for flying a red ensign?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Putting aside the "let er rip", "business first, public health second" ideology of Scomo. I reckon this is him pushing his way back into popularity.

Coz he is the one pushing for the end of lockdown, not the meanie weenie Premiers. He is the one that granted you your freedom. Remember that when you go to the polls. It is all ScoMo's fault you can now have a beer at the pub, go to the park and travel overseas, (and also why hundreds of people are on ventilators dying.)

This is a huge part of it, and I think it's because he sees it working overseas for e.g. Boris Johnson, but he's overlooking the fact that Australians have had a completely different pandemic experience and have been conditioned to fear the virus and take drastic measures to keep it out and eliminate it when it gets in. I could guess that maybe Victorians and NSWers are jack of it and will begrudgingly accept a post-vax level of "freedom" equivalent to what we see in Europe, but I think he's really underestimating how Australians in the far more COVID-free states like WA and Queensland are going to feel about it.

If they want to do this properly and not like the UK/US - and I think some state premiers will force the issue - there'll still be some restrictions like masks and reduced restaurant/gathering capacity even after we hit the vax threshholds, and for some states (assuming they open their borders) that could actually be a reduction in day-to-day freedom compared to what they have now.

Also I, for one, am still not going to feel thrilled about catching it even after being vaccinated and will still not feel comfortable doing certain things this summer (indoor dining, cinemas, flying anywhere) if we're seeing tens of thousands of cases a day even if the fatalities remain low, like they seem to be in the UK. I'm probably not the only one. If they're expecting to lift all restrictions at 80% and have everybody flood back out and start spending again, they might have another thing coming.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The premiers have all the power now, and the people will continue to support them if they announce lockdowns (just look at the WA and Tas elections) unless their name is Gladys of course.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Halo14 posted:

Just received an email from NSW Gov that included this:

Trying to reduce daily numbers?

Low risk in casual contact?

Define "low risk" and "casual contact" please.

Because looking at the Victorian infection map every day and after the whole removalists drama, I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

fappenmeister posted:

I subscribe to and enjoy the compiling evidence of him being nothing more than a lazy rear end in a top hat.

If he did his job he wouldn't be flat out coming up with excuses and constantly having a moan. If he wasn't being a loving tightarse and gotten the vaccine we'd have been able to ler rip ages ago and he wouldn't have to give money to poors. If he had proper border control we'd be golden...well for our sorry state of affairs we'd be back to being regular cooked instead of turbo hosed.

But nah, just like that rear end in a top hat in school who is only your friend when he wants something from you, as soon as we needed him to step up he just said "gently caress it"