Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My DS9 watchlist would actually be the pilot, Past Prologue (because Garak is the best), Duet (just a really really solid episode), and In the Hands of the Prophets (Winn and Bareil's intro episode). This skips the introductory episodes for a few of the recurring side characters (Nog, Rom, the Nagus) but the episodes they first appear in all suck so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, when I watched TOS I realized that they had like six basic plots that they recycled and mix'd n' matched. Remembering that early TNG is pretty lovely, but compared to TV at the time it was pretty good, I can't help but wonder if TOS was pretty good compared to other 60s programs.

TAS I think is hilarious - you thought season 8 TNG was weird...

With TAS, all they did was ask several TOS writers to basically do sequels or rewrite TOS episodes they themselves did before; David Gerrold and DC Fontana basically did this exact thing for More Tribbles, More Troubles and Yesteryear. Samuel A. Peeples wrote both the first episode of TOS (Where No Man Has Gone Before) and the first episode of the animated series (Beyond The Farthest Star)

Speaking as a :corsair: from what I remember of Trek in its day, most people just thought LOL, it was considered barely better than Lost In Space what with Dr. Smith and Monster of the Week, but it didn't get much more respect. Most people liked LIS better because of its formula blandness and the guaranteed 'Oh the pain' every episode which was easier to understand than the highbrow scifi drama Trek presented.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 11, 2017

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Captive Pursuit is a good season 1 episode. Defines O'Brien's character in the show really well

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Low Desert Punk posted:

Captive Pursuit is a good season 1 episode. Defines O'Brien's character in the show really well

Yeah, it's good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As far as pacing, another thing to consider is that hour long shows were almost 10 minutes longer back then than they are now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mollari!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh, ohh!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Grand Fromage posted:

Next I'm on to The Animated Series, which I have never seen anything of beyond gifs. I am aware at some point Spock becomes a wizard and summons literal Satan or something? I'm looking forward to it, what I've heard sounds like they just did a shitload of peyote and shat out the cheapest cartoon they could think of.
TAS's plots are pretty snappy, probably in some part because they only had 22 minutes instead of 45. Also, you'll see what happens - it is even greater than you imagine, friend!

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

TOS gets a bad rap these days because it's judged it from a 2017 perspective, and not a 1966 perspective.

A thousand times, this. I unironically enjoy TOS Star Trek (and Space: 1999 and Battlestar Galactica which are five hundred times schlockier) because I am able to watch them through the 1970s eyes I watched them through the first time.

Cherished childhood pre-cable, pre-VCR memory: being allowed to ride my 3-speed bike alone to the local library because they had a one-night viewing of a super-8 print of "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield." It was loving amazing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can't imagine watching TOS and not at least enjoying it for the 60's set and costume design. It looks unironically amazing in a kitsch way. Even the mediocre episodes can be enjoyed on mute (don't do that though because the musical stings are fantastic as well).

Maybe it's just because I grew up on a steady diet of 50s-80s tv even though I was born in 90.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Skimming through episode descriptions on Memory Alpha, I'd say there are 6 "essential" DS9 season 1 episodes (although the first one, of course, is double-length):

• Emissary - because premiere
  • Past Prologue - some more early groundwork stuff
  • The Nagus - introduces all the Ferengi stuff
  • Progress - don't remember much other than the awesome ending
  • Duet - for every possible reason
  • In The Hands Of The Prophets - because finale

I don't remember exactly how good each of these episodes are, but none of them are awkward TNG-lite alien/planet of the week stuff. Except "Progress", but that subverts the trope wonderfully.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

shadok posted:

A thousand times, this. I unironically enjoy TOS Star Trek (and Space: 1999 and Battlestar Galactica which are five hundred times schlockier) because I am able to watch them through the 1970s eyes I watched them through the first time.

Cherished childhood pre-cable, pre-VCR memory: being allowed to ride my 3-speed bike alone to the local library because they had a one-night viewing of a super-8 print of "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield." It was loving amazing.

That does sound loving amazing

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I know it's pointless to imagine, but I'd like to see what a JJTrek Data would look like.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

His eyes would be sources of lens flares.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

His eyes would be sources of lens flares.
In extremely Bones voice:

He's gooddamn space lich

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I think a lot of my love for TOS comes from watching old movies and tv shows with my dad when I was growing up. It brings back a lot of nostalgia

e: also when TOS is good, it's amazing. Like that episode with the two planets that simulate a war and just execute people. That was dope and one of my favorite episodes of any tv show ever. But that's also kind of its problem. TOS swings between stellar and poo poo (although I like poo poo too) that I can see why modern audiences wouldn't enjoy it as much

Sir Lemming posted:

Skimming through episode descriptions on Memory Alpha, I'd say there are 6 "essential" DS9 season 1 episodes (although the first one, of course, is double-length):

• Emissary - because premiere
  • Past Prologue - some more early groundwork stuff
  • The Nagus - introduces all the Ferengi stuff
  • Progress - don't remember much other than the awesome ending
  • Duet - for every possible reason
  • In The Hands Of The Prophets - because finale

I don't remember exactly how good each of these episodes are, but none of them are awkward TNG-lite alien/planet of the week stuff. Except "Progress", but that subverts the trope wonderfully.

I will do this.

vermin posted:

I know it's pointless to imagine, but I'd like to see what a JJTrek Data would look like.

Gonna just be a regular white human who is kinda good at computers and he'll stare into the camera when he reveals his identity

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 11, 2017

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Don't skip anything. Watch everything, suffer through the bad episodes and the highs are even higher. Experience Bij.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrhvtyGgli4

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I will do this.

Starting from season two, you have a skip list rather than a watch list. It depends where your threshold for mediocre episodes lies, but Melora is the main episode in season two everyone will agree to skip

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
you're all cowards

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

vermin posted:

Here's 0718.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nebakenezzer posted:

I can't help but wonder if TOS was pretty good compared to other 60s programs.

Sure, the most popular TV shows in the 1960s were things like The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Here's 0718.

Oh jesus christ those barcode scanners. What the hell is this I don't remember this scene

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I wonder how long they're going to resist the urge to do a TNG film series reboot

I don't care either way, I don't mind JJTrek and I don't really like TNG, but I feel like that's a decent amount of money to be made

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Low Desert Punk posted:

I wonder how long they're going to resist the urge to do a TNG film series reboot
Forever, I'd wager

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Here's 0718.

As much as I enjoy Into Darkness, that guy is part of the loving worst dialogue in the entire reboot series:

Kirk: "Where's the damage?"
:geno: "MAJOR HULL DAMAGE CAPTAIN"

Um, no poo poo? My loving cup runneth over.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

The Bloop posted:

Forever, I'd wager

They are going to drain the TOS era well dry until it flops like Enterprise and then try again in 10-15 years.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I done made an Orville thread!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I don't think you can just chalk TOS's pacing problems up to the era. I recall Bonanza having pretty good pacing for the 50 minute format. TOS has The Alternative Factor which is just repeated beats: the script.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tighclops posted:

Don't skip anything. Watch everything, suffer through the bad episodes and the highs are even higher. Experience Bij.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrhvtyGgli4

Back in my day, you turned on the TV and you watched it. You didn't get to worry about if it was good or bad. That came for later. But you watched them all. Because you had to. Builds character.

Sometimes you even watched shows that weren't that good because you had to. You told yourself they weren't that bad. Like SeaQuest. Don't go watch it now, if you liked it then.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Well it definitely looks better than Discovery. Still gonna wait until I hear other people's opinions before I think of watching it though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

cenotaph posted:

TOS has The Alternative Factor which is just repeated beats: the script.

According to George Takei, when Alternative Factor started filming, John Drew Barrymore showed up on set in the AM but after lunchtime he had disappeared; evidently he looked around the set and said, 'gently caress this poo poo;' a search was done high and low but he couldn't be found anywhere.

When he didn't show up the next day, someone from the studio had to be dispatched to see Robert Brown and he was literally dragged away from his house to start filming immediately after he agreed to take the part. Takei then says Alternative Factor was shot in a 'whirlwind' manner and Robert had noted that everything was extremely tense during shooting.

This episode literally almost didn't get made, it was rushed along as fast as possible, so that's a big factor in it not being one of the better TOS episodes.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 11, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

I can't help but wonder if TOS was pretty good compared to other 60s programs.

It was competing against total poo poo, yea, it was revolutionary.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Thanks for the advice, dudes. I'll finish the pilot, watch Duet and hit Season 2 for now. I also didn't realize it had more in common with TOS so that is very encouraging. I liked TNG a lot but it felt less.."deep" than TOS, although there are some amazing seasons and episodes.

Anyway, Star Trek is cool and I hope that new show doesn't suck rear end

Actually, if you're that much of a TOS fan, try Move Along Home. It's the most controversial DS9 episode, since there's a lot of debate about how awful it is. However, it is awful in a very specifically TOS way and would be a fan favorite if it actually was a TOS episode.

But under no circumstances watch Melora or Muse.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
You are clearly forgetting about Meridian.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Alternative Factor is a total shitstain, it's one of the least competent episodes of any tv show I can think of. I occasionally watch it just to laugh at how terrible it is. In addition to the problems that stemmed from Barrymore drinking his way right out of an episode, a career, and eventually a life, there was also to have been a romance subplot between his character and Lt Masters, which got nixed by executives because Masters was black. So they filled in the space with yet more scenes where the camera waggles around on a star field while Lazarus beats himself up.

It's worth noting that this could totally just happen in TOS' production, that they would absolutely let obviously half baked garbage air just because gently caress it, we've got the timeslot, cut something together and sell toothpaste with it. Just try and imagine that happening with a genre show today, or even in the 80s/90s when the spinoff shows were in their heyday and you can see why TOS eventually cratered. For all that, it's still the best show, it has the highest proportion of genuinely great episodes and most of the bad ones are at least amusing on some level or have something memorable about them.

WampaLord posted:

It was competing against total poo poo, yea, it was revolutionary.

This is a little bit unfair, yeah tv in the 60s (especially genre tv) was at least 99% crap but the same is true today. And it's the decade that gave us Dark Shadows and The Prisoner after all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Meridian, Melora, and The Muse. The 3 awful Ms of DS9.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The_Doctor posted:

Meridian, Melora, and The Muse. The 3 awful Ms of DS9.

Mprofit and Lace

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

skasion posted:

This is a little bit unfair, yeah tv in the 60s (especially genre tv) was at least 99% crap but the same is true today. And it's the decade that gave us Dark Shadows and The Prisoner after all.

Yea but when you only got 3 channels, 99% of content being crap is a major issue. Now we got enough output that there's a lot of that 1%.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

cenotaph posted:

I don't think you can just chalk TOS's pacing problems up to the era. I recall Bonanza having pretty good pacing for the 50 minute format. TOS has The Alternative Factor which is just repeated beats: the script.

The Alternative Factor is one of the absolute worst episodes in TOS, and if we're gonna go all "oh how amazing that such a wondrous show as TNG could spring forth from such turds" then let's not forget that TNG had lovely episodes too, like Code of Honor or Shades of Gray or Dark Page.

TOS is a very theatrical show and I think in order to like it you really have to relish bombast and actors playing to the back of the theater. If that doesn't do it for you than TOS probably won't be as compelling a watch (and also, honestly, if you don't like overacting at all I think space opera might not be the right genre for you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, my theater bro I watched 'Space Seed' with said that TOS episodes reminded him of two-act plays more than typical TV.