Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Bushiz posted:

No one's denying that he's a loving monster, but when you pick out, like, the single point in his campaign where Trump is (badly) trying to express sympathy and compassion and shout "LOOK AT WHAT A MONSTER HE'S BEING" it looks real loving bad, especially when it's surrounded by plenty of poo poo that has no trouble making him look loving crazy.

He suggested that the bridge between committing suicide and not is personal weakness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It doesn't really matter what Trump said or what he meant, it matters what people heard. And a lot of people are probably going to listen to that speech and hear Trump say "Some people are strong. Other people kill themselves."

Periodiko posted:

This requires a willingness to carefully parse Trump that no Trump supporter actually possesses.

It's not about people who already support Trump. I don't know why people keep saying this. It's about scaring off fence-sitters and reinvigorating dems.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

JazzFlight posted:

Wait, I found a pic of the people who put that attack ad together:

https://twitter.com/JoeSondow/status/780562081724583936

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

trump didn't mean all the mexicans were rapists, he was just badly expressing himself.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spiritus Nox posted:

It doesn't really matter what Trump said or what he meant, it matters what people heard. And a lot of people are probably going to listen to that speech and hear Trump say "Some people are strong. Other people kill themselves."

It's not about people who already support Trump. I don't know why people keep saying this. It's about scaring off fence-sitters and reinvigorating dems.

As a mentally ill person, from what I can say from my own experiences, the majority of the population do not care about mental health issues to any serious degree, they do not understand mental health issues to any serious degree, they are not willing to understand mental health issues to any serious degree, and to go in combination with the previous three things I mentioned, they do not understand how ableism is a thing that applies to people who aren't missing legs

None of them are going to care that Trump used condescending language to describe a class of people that most people already condescend to on a regular basis.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

This guy runs @Riker Googling btw.

I think it's interesting insofar as people actually like their sci-fi villains (be they Cardassian or Ferengi) and don't want real-life scum associated with them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/Carrasquillo/status/782981356355813376
It's picking up speed.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

It's pretty obvious Trump is at least half-Pakled

They both have a similar grasp on policy specifics

quote:

Commander William T. Riker: What brings you so far from home?

Pakled Captain Grebnedlog: We look for things.

Commander William T. Riker: What were you looking for?

Pakled Captain Grebnedlog: Things we need.

Commander William T. Riker: Can you be more specific?

Pakled Captain Grebnedlog: Things that make us go. We need help.

Commander William T. Riker: What is the nature of your mission?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mirthless posted:

None of them are going to care that Trump used condescending language to describe a class of people that most people already condescend to on a regular basis.

Hell we have people right here in this thread who don't get it

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

We can make a lot of meaningful reform just by making changes to the federal prison system. State prison systems require more extensive work, but its not as if its not on the agenda for one of the candidates.

It's going to take a lot more than a Democratic win in November to improve the prison system to the point of being a non-embarrassment. And you know that.

Anyway the article is good and doesn't get bogged down in election-talk like every lovely article about every lovely thing lately.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I think it's interesting insofar as people actually like their sci-fi villains (be they Cardassian or Ferengi) and don't want real-life scum associated with them.

Well, see, especially in Deep Space Nine, those sci-fi villains had depth, complexity, and things that humanized them and helped you understand their motivations. Unlike Trump.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Which is understandable. I wouldn't want to be grouped with Trump as well.

However I personally believe that Trump is totally a Ferengi that wishes he was a Cardassian.

Cheney is a better example of a Cardassian.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Spiritus Nox posted:

The Khan thing probably scared off some Trump supporters too. I wouldn't underestimate the weight of being seen besmirching ARE TROOPS.

Biting into that 40-45% ceiling helps.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mirthless posted:

As a mentally ill person, from what I can say from my own experiences, the majority of the population do not care about mental health issues to any serious degree, they do not understand mental health issues to any serious degree, they are not willing to understand mental health issues to any serious degree, and to go in combination with the previous three things I mentioned, they do not understand how ableism is a thing that applies to people who aren't missing legs

They care about Veterans.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Trump is more like that one Klingon who rose into power entirely on his family's generational honor despite that honor having been a sham and him having no sense of good governance or personal honor himself.

Trump would not make it along the Ferengi. He sucks at expanding his business, he would quickly go down in rank and serve under some slightly less incompetent Ferengi like Daimon Tog.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

WeAreTheRomans posted:

They both have a similar grasp on policy specifics

quote:

Commander William T. Riker: What brings you so far from home?

Commander William T. Riker: What were you looking for?

Pakled Captain Grebnedlog: Things we need.

Commander William T. Riker: Can you be more specific?

Pakled Captain Grebnedlog: Things that make us go. We need help.

Commander William T. Riker: What is the nature of your mission?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

computer parts posted:

Americans don't care about veterans, they care about the idea of veterans

They care about the image of handsome stone jawed men who are valiant and come home well dressed saluting the flag and going and getting a job.

The US has not ever cared about actual veterans who come home broken and in need of help, or even worse, daring not to love America.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

:golfclap: thank you for this

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

computer parts posted:

Yes, and Trump said he was going to give the weak veterans better health care.

They don't care that he called veterans with PTSD weak because people who don't understand mental health issues are perfectly willing to accept that as a descriptor of people with PTSD.

Many - if not most - people look at mental health problems as personal failings. They aren't going to get why this is offensive.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

I don't see how that Trump quote is so bad. He didn't explicitly call them weak, and some people can't handle what they saw over there and kill themselves. I don't think this ranks in the top 5 of bad things he's said about veterans.

Those who can handle it are to strong people as is those who can't handle it are to _______.

Fill in the blank.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Let's be real here, just like Donald's attempts to "win over" black voters, nothing Hillary will do will sway vets. Those blocs are pretty much static.

However, a large part of the electorate does care about vets, and this will likely hurt him.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mirthless posted:

Yes, and Trump said he was going to give the weak veterans better health care.

"Weak veterans" is an oxymoron to the people writing these articles.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mirthless posted:

They don't care that he called veterans with PTSD weak because people who don't understand mental health issues are perfectly willing to accept that as a descriptor of people with PTSD.

Many - if not most - people look at mental health problems as personal failings. They aren't going to get why this is offensive.

And this is why so many veterans kill themselves, they are afraid to get the help they need because it might make them seem weak. The military and PTSD groups have launched entire campaigns to fight this perception because of how unbelievable damaging it is.

Donald Trump literally said the single most dangerous and reductive thing you can say about mental health suicides possible.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Slight shift to the side track of the anti-Kaine ad:
https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/782984752345284608

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

GalacticAcid posted:

It's going to take a lot more than a Democratic win in November to improve the prison system to the point of being a non-embarrassment. And you know that.

Anyway the article is good and doesn't get bogged down in election-talk like every lovely article about every lovely thing lately.

They could (they're not going to) pass a law prohibiting private prisons from either being for profit or from engaging in interstate commerce (subject to how the 5 years of litigation over it shakes out )

It wouldn't be an outright ban on private prisons, but it could cripple a lot of the bigger ones (never going to happen)

Also assumes dems win the house (lol)

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean sure, but it seems like a risky gamble because it's a cakewalk for the trump campaign to use this to make veteran suicide a news item, and put hillary on the back foot with it, and there doesn't seem to be too much to gain from it.

And sure this is the trump campaign so it will almost certainly bungle the chance to turn this around but still.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And this is why so many veterans kill themselves, they are afraid to get the help they need because it might make them seem weak. The military and PTSD groups have launched entire campaigns to fight this perception because of how unbelievable damaging it is.

Donald Trump literally said the single most dangerous and reductive thing you can say about mental health suicides possible.

I agree completely, I just don't think it's going to matter to anybody. :shrug: Maybe I'm being negative, but generally when it comes to politics I'm an optimist. I've just been poo poo on enough as somebody with a mental health condition to know how society views people with mental health conditions. It's hard for me to be optimistic about this.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He suggested that the bridge between committing suicide and not is personal weakness.

This

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mirthless posted:

I agree completely, I just don't think it's going to matter to anybody. :shrug: Maybe I'm being negative, but generally when it comes to politics I'm an optimist. I've just been poo poo on enough as somebody with a mental health condition to know how society views people with mental health conditions. It's hard for me to be optimistic about this.

It all depends if and how the Clinton campaign uses it. At the very least, it goes onto the pile of Trump's no good very bad week

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

iospace posted:

Well this'll be interesting.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Uh oh. Ol' Slick Willy is in trouble again.

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/782932146939957248

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mirthless posted:

It's not going to be the huge thing that kills him but there's been enough fairly sympathetic movies and stuff about veterans with PTSD that people will at least go 'that's a hosed up thing to say,' and it'll add to the continuing trend of trump getting battered literally every single day.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

iospace posted:

Pence will just explain that actually the Catholic Church is pro death penalty, remember Jesus did say "an eye for an eye"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crain posted:

Uh oh. Ol' Slick Willy is in trouble again.

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/782932146939957248

I can see the resemblance.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And, in other news:
https://twitter.com/PoliticoKevin/status/782983884778643457
Yeah... WI pretty much is a lost cause for Johnson.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

iospace posted:

Holy poo poo. That's some serious political judo if you throw it back like that.

The inevitable response though will be "Why didn't you sue abortion clinics then?!"

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I didn't think Trump could do much to make me think less of him, but as someone with depression and as a suicide attempt survivor gently caress him with a rake. Attempting suicide has nothing to do with how strong or weak you are, in my experience it's not even really a conscious choice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Americans don't care about veterans, they care about the idea of veterans

They care about the image of handsome stone jawed men who are valiant and come home well dressed saluting the flag and going and getting a job.

The US has not ever cared about actual veterans who come home broken and in need of help, or even worse, daring not to love America.

And in fact has sent the army, with tanks, against veterans.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Trump was incredibly snide about John McCain's genuinely heroic period as a torture victim and prisoner of war, and attacked a family that lost their son in Iraq. Failing to use politically correct language to describe PTSD doesn't even register. There are a million better lines of attack than a nuanced analysis of Trump's description of suicides. Can you actually imagine a person who is "reinvigorated" by this that wasn't by the previous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Antti posted:

Holy poo poo. That's some serious political judo if you throw it back like that.

The inevitable response though will be "Why didn't you sue abortion clinics then?!"

He's already dealt with that line of attack, apparently:
https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/782987450272612352

• Locked thread