Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Dexo posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo.

Video plz...

I don't see how that Trump quote is so bad. He didn't explicitly call them weak, and some people can't handle what they saw over there and kill themselves. I don't think this ranks in the top 5 of bad things he's said about veterans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

I don't see how that Trump quote is so bad. He didn't explicitly call them weak, and some people can't handle what they saw over there and kill themselves. I don't think this ranks in the top 5 of bad things he's said about veterans.

"You're strong and you can handle it. Some people can't handle it (because they're weak)" is the worst possible way to frame that. He didn't say they're weak but he drat well implied.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_5kh-z4IXA

somewhere in this, apparently

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

45 minute mark:
https://twitter.com/anamariecox/status/782969915896717312

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Most Americans hate lawyers and love the death penalty.

The death penalty support has been dropping regularly and drops even further outside of the specific 'for convicted murderers' qualifier.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Honestly I find the ethics of drone strikes fascinating and I still haven't reached a resolution on them yet

On the surface, the government being able to kill militants via a remote controlled device anywhere on earth is terrifying in the implications of its overreach. On the other hand, these operations would have otherwise been carried out by larger missiles or ground forces which have a much higher chance for human error in terms of casualties. We could always just not kill terrorist leaders at all, but I am not sure that's the best outcome either.

I guess the question I wrestle with is, if a drone is the best way of carrying out a dirty action that is wholly necessary, how do we respond to the ethics of that?

If the action is wholly necessary and would be carried out anyway, drones are a very, very good thing. My only objection is that they lower the threshold for sky-murder, and that could conceivably be addressed by a shift in policy.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Jfc

I hope the next political add is him talking about vet suicides at the town hall then a clip of that with the text of "He doesnt really care."

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
It's a badly expressed statement but it's hardly damning, and is, in fact, one of the more humanizing things he's said this election.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

She screwed up the timestamp, here's a direct link to the answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_5kh-z4IXA&t=4036s

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 3, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Bushiz posted:

It's a badly expressed statement but it's hardly damning, and is, in fact, one of the more humanizing things he's said this election.

" you’re strong & you can handle it, but some people can’t handle it.”

Why can't they handle it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bushiz posted:

people who kill themselves are weak = very humanizing

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Good, I'd love for Mike Pence's sinister looking face to advocate for the death penalty, we're already slowly turning away from it in this country, maybe Mike Pence coming out and talking about how we need to kill criminals will make people realize that the only people who are strongly in support of the death penalty are comic book-villain looking fuckers like him.

I mean, you can draw a pretty clear comparison between a man who, as governor, commuted the sentence of a criminal on death row because of his clear mental shortcomings, and a man who was in the same position that refused to pardon an apparently innocent man whose prosecutor literally wrote a letter asking for said pardon.

One of those people is a terrible rear end in a top hat, the other is not.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The best thing about "Hillary freed a child molester" is that in actuality she had him plea guilty.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Xae posted:

An alleged joke from anonymous sources with no backing.

Apparently someone with knowledge of a "high level state department meeting" chose to speak to a D-tier conservative blog about a possible assassination of Assange. Not any of the main stream media. Or even Fox. Or Breitbart.

If the joke is real, they should sweep the room it was told in for any Russian bugs....

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Bushiz posted:

Uh, no?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

The assault on defense attorneys as being bad people because they defend bad people makes me very angry

it's like one of the best things about our judicial system, you enormous pricks

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bushiz posted:

How is it humanizing?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ImpAtom posted:

The death penalty support has been dropping regularly and drops even further outside of the specific 'for convicted murderers' qualifier.

Gallup found that support for the death penalty was at it's lowest recorded level last year. It was 64% in favor.

Do you think the Death Penalty is used in America Too Often, About the Right Amount, or Not Enough?

Too Often: 27%
About Right: 27%
Not Enough: 45%

Regardless of whether you think it should be legal, is the death penalty morally acceptable or morally wrong?

Moral: 59%
Wrong: 34%
Depends on Situation: 6%

Do you believe the death penalty is applied fairly with no bias?

Fairly: 53%
Unfairly: 41%
No Opinion: 6%

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Am I doing something wrong here? I don't see that quote anywhere around 45 minutes. He's talking about the U.S. drone strikes and who knows what we're hitting? It's crazy easy to link an exact time in a youtube link too.

Edit: thanks for the link

davebo fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 3, 2016

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Antti posted:

She screwed up the timestamp, here's a direct link to the answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_5kh-z4IXA&t=4036s

Edit: It's not there either! Sheesh, I'm not watching the whole thing.

It's there, just watch for about 10 seconds or so, you had the right time stamp.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

This won't work, it can't work. Tim Kaine is just way too wholesome for anyone to hate. Even my dad, who is basically a GOP lifer who despises Hillary, likes Tim Kaine. Granted, it's because they're both Kansas City Royals fans, but still.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

She was probably watching it live which means the timestamp's going to be all over the place. I thought it might be 45 minutes before the end, which did have an answer on vet mental health but not the quote.

Sopan hasn't written it up either. But I find it hard to believe an NYT reporter would just invent a Trump quote when you have so much real quotes to work with.

Edit: oh did I miss it? Never mind then!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Antti posted:

Edit: It's not there either! Sheesh, I'm not watching the whole thing.

Nah, you got the timestamp right.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Antti posted:

She was probably watching it live which means the timestamp's going to be all over the place. I thought it might be 45 minutes before the end, which did have an answer on vet mental health but not the quote.

Sopan hasn't written it up either. But I find it hard to believe an NYT reporter would just invent a Trump quote when you have so much real quotes to work with.

Edit: oh did I miss it? Never mind then!

Sopan is doing the transcripts now.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Intercept has a good article up about the ongoing prison strike and its (intentional) echoes of the Attica Prison Riot.

A good reminder that whoever wins this stupid election the USA will continue to be a terrible shithole with respect to its prison population.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

" you’re strong & you can handle it, but some people can’t handle it.”

Why can't they handle it?

because they're not getting the help they need, whether through therapy or support structures in their relationships, confounded by a myriad of further mental images.

Like it's a bad sentence to say but the dude just has the vocabulary of a five year old, and you can watch the video and it's plainly clear he's not calling victims of suicide "weak"

Like in the world where he's bragging about not paying taxes, losing a billion dollars in a year, and angrily tweeting about sex tapes at 3 AM, the statement "Donald Trump isn't very good at articulating rhetorically sensitive issues" isn't even a blip on the radar.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

GalacticAcid posted:

The Intercept has a good article up about the ongoing prison strike and its (intentional) echoes of the Attica Prison Riot.

A good reminder that whoever wins this stupid election the USA will continue to be a terrible shithole with respect to its prison population.

A good reminder, one of the candidates has talked extensively about the need to reform the prison system.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

A good reminder, one of the candidates has talked extensively about the need to reform the prison system.

Cool, I'm glad. I'm not optimistic anything of substance will change given the persistent power of the states.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Bushiz posted:

because they're not getting the help they need, whether through therapy or support structures in their relationships, confounded by a myriad of further mental images.

Like it's a bad sentence to say but the dude just has the vocabulary of a five year old, and you can watch the video and it's plainly clear he's not calling victims of suicide "weak"

Like in the world where he's bragging about not paying taxes, losing a billion dollars in a year, and angrily tweeting about sex tapes at 3 AM, the statement "Donald Trump isn't very good at articulating rhetorically sensitive issues" isn't even a blip on the radar.

Yeah, I think people are maybe jumping on it a bit optimistically because veterans are the one sacred cow even Trump's supporters still have. If he badmouths vets or, say, a Gold Star family, it's going to backfire on him worse than any corruption.

It doesn't help that it's him saying it. It's very easy to interpret everything he says in the worst possible way because it's him saying it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

Cool, I'm glad. I'm not optimistic anything of substance will change given the persistent power of the states.

We can make a lot of meaningful reform just by making changes to the federal prison system. State prison systems require more extensive work, but its not as if its not on the agenda for one of the candidates.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bushiz posted:

Please allow me not to give a single gently caress about the context of anything Donald Trump says. If he ever had that benefit of the doubt, he drat sure doesn't anymore.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Hmm, yes, I feel we should give Donald Trump the benefit of the doubt.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

theflyingorc posted:

The assault on defense attorneys as being bad people because they defend bad people makes me very angry

it's like one of the best things about our judicial system, you enormous pricks
Wait, I found a pic of the people who put that attack ad together:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

Please allow me not to give a single gently caress about the context of anything Donald Trump says. If he ever had that benefit of the doubt, he drat sure doesn't anymore.

No one's denying that he's a loving monster, but when you pick out, like, the single point in his campaign where Trump is (badly) trying to express sympathy and compassion and shout "LOOK AT WHAT A MONSTER HE'S BEING" it looks real loving bad, especially when it's surrounded by plenty of poo poo that has no trouble making him look loving crazy.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Antti posted:

It's real easy to sidestep this one with "Well, he said we need to do something more about mental health right after!"

It's a pretty horrifically tone-deaf thing to say but if most people can't understand why ableist language is offensive in the first place they aren't going to care about this

I wish this was more than it is :(

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Gallup found that support for the death penalty was at it's lowest recorded level last year. It was 64% in favor.

Do you think the Death Penalty is used in America Too Often, About the Right Amount, or Not Enough?

Too Often: 27%
About Right: 27%
Not Enough: 45%

Regardless of whether you think it should be legal, is the death penalty morally acceptable or morally wrong?

Moral: 59%
Wrong: 34%
Depends on Situation: 6%

Do you believe the death penalty is applied fairly with no bias?

Fairly: 53%
Unfairly: 41%
No Opinion: 6%

Yeah, California has the death penalty on the ballot again and it's still sailing for a "keep the death penalty" win. In fact the opposing "death penalty, but faster" proposition has 75% support in recent polls.

The only reason Americans have trunks with the death penalty is that it doesn't happen immediately after conviction, allowing Americans the opportunity to worry that people are getting off by having the opportunity to appeal.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

JazzFlight posted:

Wait, I found a pic of the people who put that attack ad together:

The Trek Thread is talking about Trump, and the Trump Thread is talking about Trek rn

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

ImpAtom posted:

"You're strong and you can handle it. Some people can't handle it (because they're weak)" is the worst possible way to frame that. He didn't say they're weak but he drat well implied.

This requires a willingness to carefully parse Trump that no Trump supporter actually possesses.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Even if this doesn't get traction in the media (probably won't, but you never know), you can bet your rear end this is coming up at the debates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bushiz posted:

when you pick out, like, the single point in his campaign where Trump is (badly) trying to express sympathy and compassion and shout "LOOK AT WHAT A MONSTER HE'S BEING" it looks real loving bad...

Nah.

• Locked thread