Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's probably for the best that they went with sprites since Doom has some of the best spritework out of early FPS games but that's still pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've just recently been replaying some of the old classic FPSes after having quick blasts of them at my friends' houses as a kid/teen but never really getting into them. Doom and Quake feel fantastic, Duke Nukem 3D is definitely lacking in direct comparison. I just finished Ultimate Doom, Thy Flesh Consumed was a bit ludicrous at times and I'm ashamed to say I just IDDQDed through a couple of bits. Doom 2 next, and then wads time! I really missed out by not having a PC in the 90s.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Quite interesting, though I wonder how this would really fare if you're looking at the hologram from above or below instead of dead-on. I imagine ultimately it must've been too difficult to make good-looking models using it.

This is completely awesome! I'm wondering if this means a Night Dive Studios Powerslave re-release is out of the question, since it's being offered here in its entirety for free.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Jia posted:

How about just play sunder on its own because it's an incredible set of levels
I can't believe that in the 7 years I've had that wad that I never even thought of trying it with the normal doom weapons. Thanks for the tip, it opens an entirely new way to play the maps to keep the gameplay fresh after all these years.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

2house2fly posted:

I've just recently been replaying some of the old classic FPSes after having quick blasts of them at my friends' houses as a kid/teen but never really getting into them. Doom and Quake feel fantastic, Duke Nukem 3D is definitely lacking in direct comparison. I just finished Ultimate Doom, Thy Flesh Consumed was a bit ludicrous at times and I'm ashamed to say I just IDDQDed through a couple of bits. Doom 2 next, and then wads time! I really missed out by not having a PC in the 90s.
Doom and Quake definitely feel better than Duke 3D. Not entirely certain what specifically about them it is; I want to say it's related to how Doom Guy glides to a stop instead of stopping instantly like Duke does, but the Quake Ranger skews closer to Duke's accel/decel than Doom Guy's, so it's probably not that. It certainly doesn't hurt that the Doom and Quake engines aren't held together with paperclips and chewing gum like Build frequently is.

That said, I wouldn't sell Duke 3D short; its movement feel is a bit stiffer, but is still very responsive, and its heavy focus on explosives (no, seriously, 4/9 of Duke's weapons make things explode - 5/10 if we include the Expander) gives it a satisfying feel that's relatively unique to it.

Segmentation Fault posted:

This is completely awesome! I'm wondering if this means a Night Dive Studios Powerslave re-release is out of the question, since it's being offered here in its entirety for free.
I was honestly surprised it didn't require a PS1 ISO to use, given how Doom 64 EX requires an N64 ROM. Hell, it'd arguably have been simpler to legally produce, since it's easier to dump a PS1 or Saturn ISO than it is to dump an N64 ROM - the former requires no special hardware other than a bog-standard CD-ROM drive.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you're playing Powerslave EX, make sure you grab the patch off the front page of the site. It fixes a nasty bug with the Bad Ending.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

I was honestly surprised it didn't require a PS1 ISO to use, given how Doom 64 EX requires an N64 ROM. Hell, it'd arguably have been simpler to legally produce, since it's easier to dump a PS1 or Saturn ISO than it is to dump an N64 ROM - the former requires no special hardware other than a bog-standard CD-ROM drive.

I imagine it has more to do with legality than ease of use. They have the blessing to release the entire game content for free, so that's exactly what he's doing. I imagine he'd do the same with Doom 64 EX if he had the ability.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Any guys got a mirror for it? The link on the site's telling me I don't have access to it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shadow Hog posted:

Doom and Quake definitely feel better than Duke 3D. Not entirely certain what specifically about them it is; I want to say it's related to how Doom Guy glides to a stop instead of stopping instantly like Duke does, but the Quake Ranger skews closer to Duke's accel/decel than Doom Guy's, so it's probably not that. It certainly doesn't hurt that the Doom and Quake engines aren't held together with paperclips and chewing gum like Build frequently is.

That said, I wouldn't sell Duke 3D short; its movement feel is a bit stiffer, but is still very responsive, and its heavy focus on explosives (no, seriously, 4/9 of Duke's weapons make things explode - 5/10 if we include the Expander) gives it a satisfying feel that's relatively unique to it.

I remember being really blown away by how unique the Duke 3D weapons felt when I first played the game. Laser mines that you could plant and trick enemies into triggering? Pipe bombs that you could stack in ridiculous piles and remotely detonate? A gun that shrank enemies to tiny versions of themselves? A gun that froze enemies solid? And then, later, a gun that inflated enemies and caused them to burst like bloody balloons? The whole thing was crazy.

The "RPG" really hosed with me, though. 10-year-old me couldn't figure out why a rocket launcher was also known as "Role Playing Game".

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Olivil posted:

How can I get the Mac/3DO assets for ECWolf?

I'm on Linux if this changes anything.

There is guide on the forums. Also the last page contains the First Encounter (Demo) download
http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=174&t=6554

Keep in mind you need the latest version compiled from bitbucket.

Jblade posted:

Any guys got a mirror for it? The link on the site's telling me I don't have access to it.

Yeah what is up with that? Some bug or legal trouble? I was getting excited :(

Nokiaman fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 25, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Duke3d"s movement isn't as solid as Quake and Doom, but it's still good. The gameplay is still fantastic; I recently replayed DN3D in EDuke32, and the game is a blast. This time, I played the levels without using the Jetpack to skip around the levels. The maps are great for the most part; only E2L2, E2L3, Babe Land, and to a lesser extent, XXX Stacy, stand out as mediocre maps. I'm not sure what happened, but 3DR hit gold when they were making Duke3D's maps.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jblade posted:

Nokiaman posted:

Yeah what is up with that? Some bug or legal trouble? I was getting excited :(
Looks like the first download link got killed by Dropbox for excessive traffic.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

The Kins posted:

Looks like the first download link got killed by Dropbox for excessive traffic.

But the second one links to his repository which is blocked.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm uploading my copy to Mediafire, I'll provide a link in a second. Or about five minutes.

Here you guys go

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 25, 2015

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

That's excellent, thanks a lot!

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

I'm uploading my copy to Mediafire, I'll provide a link in a second. Or about five minutes.

Here you guys go

Thanks a lot! Is that 1.0.1 patch included too or does someone have it?

Also had to delete OpenAL32.dll else it threw error at me.

Ouch that head turning sure is disorienting.

Nokiaman fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 25, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I imagine it has more to do with legality than ease of use. They have the blessing to release the entire game content for free, so that's exactly what he's doing. I imagine he'd do the same with Doom 64 EX if he had the ability.

I don't think he has anyone's permission or blessing to release the game for free but he's doing it anyway. Kick is still working on an official license and he genuinely intends to give it a legit release but Kaiser's been working on Powerslave EX independently and is just gonna dump it all online if Kick can't work something out.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't think he has anyone's permission or blessing to release the game for free but he's doing it anyway. Kick is still working on an official license and he genuinely intends to give it a legit release but Kaiser's been working on Powerslave EX independently and is just gonna dump it all online if Kick can't work something out.

From the FAQ:

quote:

Is this legal? Who owns the rights to Powerslave?
While I know who owns the rights, I am not going to disclose the name of that individual. That said, I have no intention of making any profit from Powerslave EX. The whole purpose of this project is to keep the spirit of the game alive and to introduce it to a whole new generation of gamers and act as a teaching tool to those who want to be a game programmer. This project will, and always will be, free. I will continue developing this project unless I am given a cease and desist letter.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
He said this elsewhere:

quote:

1. As of right now, PowerslaveEX is not related to the Night Dive Studios project. HOWEVER, Night Dive is currently discussing plans with the IP owner. If things works out, PowerslaveEX just may become a Night Dive project. Either ways, PowerslaveEX will still be open source.

2. If PowerslaveEX continues to be a non-Night Dive project, then yes, it will be free. Everything will be included unless I receive a cease and desist letter. Otherwise, it will require the user to have the PSX CD.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Here you guys go

Thanks for this. It looks like there are new mirrors listed on the downloads page now, as well.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I'll hold me hand up high and praise Kaiser for implementing proper joystick support for Powerslave EX (PSEX), which picked up on the thumb stick on my logitech G13 turbo-nerd pad and gave me analog movement right out of the zip, which it would not have done if it was 360 pad support only.

If I dare to dream that he might update Powerslave EX (PSEX) to replace the static status billboard with a minimalist translucent HUD, which would take it easy on my plasma, then I could truly look down from my ivory tower on all the WASD-banging, IPS panel-using scrub-idiots.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
So apparently somebody made a mod for that UT1-in-UT2004 mod that replaces the pickups with their UT2004 equivalents, but the site where it was hosted is down and I have no idea whether it's permanently so. Does anybody happen to have this? I really want to try playing with Ballistic Weapons, but the only way to do that without the stock pickups is to use Loadout, and that's just not as fun.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

So apparently somebody made a mod for that UT1-in-UT2004 mod that replaces the pickups with their UT2004 equivalents, but the site where it was hosted is down and I have no idea whether it's permanently so. Does anybody happen to have this? I really want to try playing with Ballistic Weapons, but the only way to do that without the stock pickups is to use Loadout, and that's just not as fun.

Are you proposing playing UT1 with ballistic weapons because if so that sounds amazing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

This is hilariously unplayable right now. For whatever reason, the mouselook always tends towards up. Which basically means I can't see what's ahead of me or I can give myself severe motion sickness.

Has anyone else encountered this and is there anything to do aside from wait for a bugfix? I'm on Windows 8.1.

On the plus side, I'm really impressed with the skyboxes.

Edit: Never mind - discovered that my joystick's throttle was responsible for this! Since I had it at the maximum position, the game reads that as "Hey, gotta look up!"

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 26, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
2 things:

1. Is Powerslave, like, an actually fun to play game or is EX just a fun curiosity?

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Does Ballistic Weapons cause things like the pistols to not be hitscan anymore? At least half the weapons in UT already aren't hitscan so I'm trying to figure out what you're talking about.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

site posted:

2 things:

1. Is Powerslave, like, an actually fun to play game or is EX just a fun curiosity?

Does Ballistic Weapons cause things like the pistols to not be hitscan anymore? At least half the weapons in UT already aren't hitscan so I'm trying to figure out what you're talking about.

Ballistic weapons replaces all the weapons with something like 50 new ones, many of which are hitscan.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

dis astranagant posted:

Ballistic weapons replaces all the weapons with something like 50 new ones, many of which are hitscan.

Ah, lol was taking the name a bit too literally. Thanks

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

site posted:

2 things:

Powerslave's great fun! Imagine an early FPS game but with a Metroid Prime sort of bend. Maps are mostly linear take place on an open map, and you get artifacts that allow you do to things like jump very high or swim underwater that open up paths to different places.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Are you proposing playing UT1 with ballistic weapons because if so that sounds amazing.

I'm proposing playing Unreal Gold with Ballistic Weapons, and it would totally be possible if I had GreatEmerald's mod that replaces the custom U1 pickups with the stock UT2004 pickups in the mod's maps.

site posted:

2 things:

The Unreal Gold mod uses unique pickups because it uses the original Unreal weapons, so a mutator like Ballistic Weapons can't randomly replace the weapons in the map because it isn't set up to handle the custom pickups.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I guess I didn't understand what you were asking.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

site posted:

Ah, lol was taking the name a bit too literally. Thanks

They ballistic in the sense that most of the variety is in shotguns, pistols and machine guns. Most of the cannons and energy weapons have actual projectiles but the rest are hitscan.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

How do I force an FPS cap in (G)ZDoom?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Wait, slime still hurts you even after you get the shackles in the PlayStation version of PowerSlave? Weird, in the Saturn version you become completely immune to that poo poo once you pick those up; only lava still kinda hurts you. Also, I swear the cat-women are more aggressive than usual (and they were already pretty drat aggressive to begin with)...

Only really two things that bug me with the game that I specifically can't chalk up to "well, it's the PlayStation version, it works differently from the Saturn version" - your FOV isn't saved between sessions, and it'd be nice if the optional crosshair could be turned off when Ramses is talking to you (as it is it overlaps him and is kinda distracting - ignoring that the PlayStation version doesn't have his lips moving like the Saturn version, meaning there's not much to look at). I suppose there's also at least one unexplained death to account for (I was looking for one of the Team Dolls in Set's Arena, near the bottom of the room with two bombable columns surrounded by lava everywhere, when I just suddenly instantly died despite not setting foot in the lava AFAIK), but eh.

Mak0rz posted:

How do I force an FPS cap in (G)ZDoom?
"cl_fpscap 1" forces it back to 35.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I'm sure this is a bit of a longshot, but for about 10 years I've wanted to write a Wolf3D / Doom style engine. I know C++ and such but I just don't really know where to start with writing an engine like this. Are there any descriptive and well-documented tutorials (not complete engines) for writing something like this? Alternatively would someone be willing to create such a thing? I know about 20 pages ago people in this thread were writing their own bespoke Wolf/Doom type engines so I know it's not completely impossible. This is just something I've wanted to do for so long I just can't really wrap my head around where to start and the Doom engine itself is too monstrous for me to even begin to dig it apart.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Pathos posted:

I'm sure this is a bit of a longshot, but for about 10 years I've wanted to write a Wolf3D / Doom style engine. I know C++ and such but I just don't really know where to start with writing an engine like this. Are there any descriptive and well-documented tutorials (not complete engines) for writing something like this? Alternatively would someone be willing to create such a thing? I know about 20 pages ago people in this thread were writing their own bespoke Wolf/Doom type engines so I know it's not completely impossible. This is just something I've wanted to do for so long I just can't really wrap my head around where to start and the Doom engine itself is too monstrous for me to even begin to dig it apart.

Simple JavaScript example in 256 lines: http://www.playfuljs.com/a-first-person-engine-in-265-lines
(don't worry about the language, it's the concepts that are important)

Notch did a nice one for Ludum Dare once:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcfFJ6pNEZk

Source code is here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ld48/PoC_source.zip
Obviously this one is going to be hacky 48-hour competition code but it's still a working example.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Just when i think i have Demonsteele entirely figured out:

You wonderful goon you. :allears: Is destroying props the only way to get "fortune cookies" and do they have any extra effects? I'd just picked up some Ramen so no idea if it heals! Ah, its +1 Overhealth! Found another one but didn't have time to screenshot properly:

Also to your earlier comment, yeah please add little robot buddies to prop drops.

E: Is there a command to give myself the arrogant weapons? I turned on that toggle too late in scythe and new weapons aren't spawning.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 26, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I assume there's a "G" just off the left of that "OATSE" in the lower-right

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

I assume there's a "G" just off the left of that "OATSE" in the lower-right
There actually used to be in a dev build where that weapon was called the Glaive... Term claims it was entirely unintentional, but nobody's convinced.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Pathos posted:

Check out this guy's blog, and hopefully when it comes out his "Game Engine Blackbook" on the Wolf3D engine: http://fabiensanglard.net/ He does really nice code reviews of iD and other classic game engines. It's very enlightening to see how things work at an algorithmic layer.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Thyrork posted:

Is destroying props the only way to get "fortune cookies" [...] Also to your earlier comment, yeah please add little robot buddies to prop drops.

E: Is there a command to give myself the arrogant weapons? I turned on that toggle too late in scythe and new weapons aren't spawning.

At the moment, yes. If there ever comes a DemonSteele mappack (hahahahahahahahahah), they'll probably be slotted in secret areas. Right now, though, they only come from destroying props.
And all right, sure, I'll put them in. They'll be a rare drop, about as rare as a pepper, but still.
Also if you really want to summon them, with pickups enabled summon either the Minigun or Railgun to have them spawn.

The Kins posted:

There actually used to be in a dev build where that weapon was called the Glaive... Term claims it was entirely unintentional, but nobody's convinced.

You have no idea how :stonklol: I was to learn that out of all the metal band/song names I picked, out of all the ways I could have possibly arranged them, out of all the ways the weapons could have been indicated on the HUD...they all came together just like that.
It's like rolling the dice over an Ouija board and they all land on the letters for "gently caress YOUR MUM".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Well, to avoid that sort of thing in the future, I'd suggest maybe adding another weapon to the roster. You could totally rename everything, too. Maybe like, Thrust, Umbra, Black Sabbath, Gomorrah, Ignitor, Ragnarok, and Lace Dragon?